• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Way to NOT put your rookie QB in a position to succeed

Tomlin specifically said he was not playing Pickett then gave him 0 reps in an extra long prep period from the last thursday game. Makes you wonder if it was Rooney who put Pickett in the game.
A #2 QB should get some time with the #1 offense every week. Not as much as the #1 QB does, but every week.

The Claypool int...every QB every week makes those throws. The receiver has to come down with it. The great QBs...as great as they are throwing the ball they all had wrs who bailed them out. Geez, Bradshaw with Swann and Stallworth. He doesn't have those two guys he ain't in the Hall and the Steelers don't have 4 Super Bowls in the era. Claypool shoulda had that one.

The throw to Muth was dumb.

Like so much, the truth is pretty much in the middle.
As often is the case. Claypool should have made a better effort to come towards the ball and be physical. Pickett probably should have placed that Muth pass so he would get it or it would bounce out of bounds. Perhaps that window was too tight to Claypool, perhaps Muth would have caught that if the exact play was repeated.

As Pickett learns each WRs capabilities you will see better cohesion. Who knows how long it will take. Expect little and enjoy watching his progression from point A to point B.

Chase Claypool has 11 receptions for 79 yards. He regressed from year 1 to year 2 and hasn't made an impact at all this year. Sorry, but this guy is not going to get the benefit of the doubt when he's 6'4" and plays like he's 5'5".

It’s funny how guys are acting like DJ hasn’t been crucified for all of his drops. And if Mitch had any INT’s hit his receivers in the hands it is on the receiver. What is so hard about that ?

Chase's play is really puzzling..
The guy looked like a second contract guy his rookie year and up and coming star in the league..

The only thing I have noticed is it seems his has slimmed down a lot since his rookie year…. That could explain why he is not making those contested catches any longer..
Not sure what’s happening with him?

Chase easily should have caught his ball. I call that one a fumble and not an interception.

I know it's a tougher catch but my point is, no matter how tough the catch last year and no matter how many guys were draped all over Claypool, it was always his fault. This catch was difficult but one Muuth should make whether Pickett intended to throw it away or not. I don't care who you are. If you are a pro WR/TE and you get both hands on the ball, you should catch it almost every time. That is what you are paid to do. Pickett throws a lot of high and back shoulder throws on purpose and he should. We have some big targets and they need to make the catches. Pickens has been for the most part even with one hand in a full spread.
You can blame Freiermuth for not coming down with the ball. It touched his hands and he is supposed to make the play. But watching a freezing the moment Muth's hands touch the ball he is at his peak vertical. Can't get any higher. And his arms are fully extended. Claypool has his arms bent, is slow to adjust to the ball in the air, and definitely didn't attack it. George Pickens attacks the ball. He's aggressive. Claypool isn't. We honestly would have been better off running that route with DJ because even though he's 6 inches shorter and has 7" less inches of Vertical he would adjust to the ball and high point it. Might drop it but he'd at least give it a chance.

Here's the INT off Freiermuth for those who seem to think it hit Pat right in the hands and he should have had it. It's barely touching his outstretched fingers when he gets hit by a defender. This notion that it hit his hands so he should have caught it is unrealistic.

guess it won't embed so just click the link to watch the 17 second video of a bad throw that gets broken up by a DB and then picked off

Ben's 1st NFL game experience was a loss, too...
Ben came in to a losing game against the RAVENS!

Kenny still sucked against the Jets. I'm not giving up on the kid but Jesus...

He isn't. He doesn't play combat catches well at all. We have seen it for a while now. Perhaps he should be demoted.
Cough cough... James Washington was a combat catch guy...

Here's the INT off Freiermuth for those who seem to think it hit Pat right in the hands and he should have had it. It's barely touching his outstretched fingers when he gets hit by a defender. This notion that it hit his hands so he should have caught it is unrealistic.

guess it won't embed so just click the link to watch the 17 second video of a bad throw that gets broken up by a DB and then picked off

Pickett took accountability on that play, because he said he was actually trying to throw it away over Muth's head, and just didn't put it high enough. He knows he put Muth in a tough spot there, he'll learn from it

I'm glad Pickett entered the game, but they handled it poorly. Either start him this week or wait another week or two and give him the full week of practice. I also agree about Claypool, he offers very little for this offense. His biggest mismatch opportunity is his size and he doesn't know how to use it.

It fair to speculate that Calypool can't see. It would explain his lack of ball skills, hands, and mistimed jumps. Get you eyes checked out.

But the other problem he has and I'm certain has it is immaturity.

Claypool has to look in the mirror. Understand it takes effort to be the best you can be, the dude has the talent and all the football dimensions for lack of a better word. He has to realize the nfl is an any given sunday sorta thing and has to be on top of his P's & Q's ALWAYS.