• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What Could a Trade for Deshaun Watson Look Like for the Steelers?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Friday afternoon, Houston Texans‘ quarterback Deshaun Watson was cleared of the numerous sexual assault allegations that had hovered around his name for over a year now. With the Pittsburgh Steelers on the market for a quarterback and the Texans looking to trade the young star, what could a potential trade for Watson look like for the Steelers?

Draft picks​

The most significant task on the Texans’ list of “wants” for Watson will be draft picks. According to NBC Sports, the asking price has not lowered even after 22 women accused Watson of sexual assault. The initial asking price for Watson starts off with three first-round draft picks and has been reiterated as recently as February 21st that the Texans do not plan on moving Watson for anything less than that.

Right now, the Steelers have four first-round and four second-round picks from 2022-2025, all of which could be a part of a trade package to Houston for Watson. If picks are all the Texans want, the Steelers could quickly move a few to grab a generational talent like Watson.

Young players and cap space​

Another want for Houston could be players, more specifically, young players. The Steelers have many young, talented players such as TJ Watt, Najee Harris, and others, though whether or not the team is willing to move them is another question altogether. If the Texans come asking for one of these young stars, the Steelers will have a big decision to make.

One thing to remember with players like Najee Harris is that he is turning 24 years old this year, very old for a rookie, and running backs do not have a very long shelf life in today’s league. Watson, 25, may be a wiser investment than hanging onto a talented player at a less-important position, though until the Texans ask, Harris should be off-limits.

Watson also comes with a hefty price tag. Over the next few years, Watson will cost his team over $30M per season, a huge ask for a team to clear up on short notice. Though it can be done, it will be an enormous task for the Steelers. The good news for Steeler fans is that the team has the money to pay Watson as of right now. The bad news? If Pittsburgh acquires Watson, the team will not have much left to go after free agents to fill the holes in their roster.

Do you think the Steelers should go after Watson this offseason? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

So another joke post about a QB we have no business looking at or wasting money or draft picks on.

he is not worth multiple high draft picks
Reports are they want 6 assets...3 #1's & then 3 players and/or picks....

I just think his past will be a distraction otherwise I would be more interested

then they are ******* high
I wouldn't worry too much about this....Seattle is now in position to meet their demands. I just looked and WE DON'T have a 4th, 5th, or 6th round pick this year...The 4th we have is a supplemental...We don't have the draft capital. Cupboard is too bare

I wouldn't worry too much about this....Seattle is now in position to meet their demands. I just looked and WE DON'T have a 4th, 5th, or 6th round pick this year...The 4th we have is a supplemental...We don't have the draft capital. Cupboard is too bare
Texans can wish in one hand and **** in the other though. They don't control where Watson is going. That no trade clause is a big anchor around their ability to cut any deals.
Not saying Pittsburgh is the only place he'd agree to; but, if he doesn't want to go to Seattle, they can't force him to. So, it's find a nice deal with a team he wants to go to, eat his salary or release him. Those are the Texans' options. Knowing that, a team that he wants to go to would be foolish to bet the farm on this kid.

So he still has the civil suits to take care of? I just don't see the distraction being worth all that.

So another joke post about a QB we have no business looking at or wasting money or draft picks on.

Backdoor Butternut Bob from Buergitts Town was legend........................

You SIR are fastly becoming one.!!!

You're welcome

Salute the nation