• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

what? food stamp fraud? LOL. that never happens.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
198 ensnared in Jacksonville food stamp fraud totaling $3.7M
Businesses swapped SNAP benefits for cash, even drugs
By Chris Parenteau - Reporter, Corley Peel - Reporter, Steve Patrick - News4Jax digital managing editor

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/jacksonville/jacksonville-busts-organized-fraud-ring

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Sheriff Mike Williams announced Tuesday the results of a multi-agency, undercover investigation into the exchange of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits for cash and, in at least one case, cocaine.

From 2012 to 2017, Jacksonville Sheriff's Office detectives, working with federal and state agencies, documented more than 22,000 fraudulent transactions involving $3.7 million in taxpayer money.

"These people are selling or stealing money from hardworking taxpayers right here in our community, and they are abusing a program that is meant to help people," Williams said.

Williams said that during Operation Half-Back, undercover officers personally observed 115 individuals in 390 fraudulent transactions from February to July 2017.

Investigators said those with SNAP/EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) cards would give their PIN number to the buyer, and that money would then be deposited into their accounts.

Williams said, in most cases, the food-stamp recipient received 50 cents per $1 of SNAP benefit used. Each transaction was recorded.

The operation originally focused on operators of brick-and-mortar stores, but investigators learned that many of the perpetrators became mobile business -- such as meat, seafood and produce vendors -- so they could apply to the U.S Department of Agriculture to accept SNAP benefits. Williams said they sold very little merchandise, as most of their volume was exchanging SNAP benefits for cash.

Those accused include 21 people considered recruiters or intermediaries charged with organized schemes to defraud and public assistance fraud.

There were also 177 people accused of selling their benefits who face charges of public assistance fraud -- most of those felonies because the transaction involved more than $200. The Sheriff's Office said 161 warrants are still waiting to be issued.

"Food stamp trafficking steals from Florida's hardworking taxpayers," Attorney General Pam Bondi said in a statement. "The SNAP/EBT program is designed to provide services to the most vulnerable among us and for anyone to take advantage of this system is shameful."

The Office of Public Benefits Integrity told News4Jax that if the people arrested are found guilty of fraud, they'll be required to pay that money back.

“It’s very frustrating because the people who actually have a need for the EBT cards are getting shorted," said taxpayer Hugh Hyatt.

Jasmine Coleman, who recently applied for SNAP benefits, said it's upsetting knowing people are abusing the program that's meant to help families like hers.

"To support my daughters and me, I'm a server and I don't make that much and food is starting to get very expensive," she said. "It's making it harder for us to receive benefits and for us to actually get support and use it the right way."

Williams singled out four businesses he said were the biggest offenders found during the fraud investigation.

The sheriff is obviously racist.

And that was only in Jacksonville, Fla.

******* liberal trash.

Just felt like saying that.

This is news? 30 years ago when I was in college at Temple University there were people selling their food stamps on the street corners at a 50% discount and then heading right to their dealer or the liquor store.

This is news? 30 years ago when I was in college at Temple University there were people selling their food stamps on the street corners at a 50% discount and then heading right to their dealer or the liquor store.

Me too. Nothing new here that's for sure...except the getting caught part, that is new.

th
you-just-bought-200-in-groceries-with-food-stamps-and-all-of-you-have-new-iphones.jpg
201510_0705_gehfc_sm.jpg
food-stamp-fraud.jpg

wxh3k.jpg

Didn’t Trump float the idea of getting rid of the debit cards and instead doing a home food delivery like Plated or Blue Apron?

That’s a great idea. You can even partner with local stores where recipients can choose their meals for however many days, then pick them up or have them shipped to the house.

Didn’t Trump float the idea of getting rid of the debit cards and instead doing a home food delivery like Plated or Blue Apron?

That’s a great idea. You can even partner with local stores where recipients can choose their meals for however many days, then pick them up or have them shipped to the house.

Don't want to live on what the government gives you? Fine, don't live on what the government gives you, earn your own.

I would say the same thing about people who hire illegals as the businesses who ran the scam. Stick his *** in jail. Not a fine. Not a slap on the wrist. Shut him down and jail time. Its always about the poor guy with the stamps, or the migrant. Crush the employer and the business. That will stop that **** right there.

Either that or just set up food banks that function like grocery stores except that they only have actual food.... no candy or Doritos or any **** like that. Every item would have a dollar value and the benefit recipient only gets to spend whatever he or she is given for the month. Also I would require an ID to be shown at the time of purchase to make sure the person getting the food is the same person whose name is on the card. My father lives in a low income apartment building that used to be for seniors on social security. Several years ago, however, they started taking anyone that gets SDI or social security, so now there’s a bunch of young folks living there. Needless to say, the place went downhill fast. I’d say if I had to guess, probably 80% of them don’t have a ******* thing wrong with them. I don’t know how many times I’ve been asked by some of them if I want to buy their EBT card balance, so I know how rampant this **** is. It’s ******* infuriating.

Yes Trump "floated" something, but never in his life has it been an idea....

And you have to love the " small government" types wanting to give people food directly instead of the card because the logistics alone would increase the cost at least 10x THAT'S WHAT THE GOVERNMENT DISCOVERED DECADES AGO MORONS.

The point is as long as you are making the poor suffer, money is NO object..........when you are a Repugnican.

That's why when studies show that housing the homeless and putting the ones that are capable of it in work training programs because this would save the states an average of 40% in costs from emergency room visits, incarceration, etc. CONservatives flat out reject it.

There can be nothing more sad, wretched, and flat out compassionless than the thoughts of a CONservative.

Either that or just set up food banks that function like grocery stores except that they only have actual food.... no candy or Doritos or any **** like that. Every item would have a dollar value and the benefit recipient only gets to spend whatever he or she is given for the month. Also I would require an ID to be shown at the time of purchase to make sure the person getting the food is the same person whose name is on the card. My father lives in a low income apartment building that used to be for seniors on social security. Several years ago, however, they started taking anyone that gets SDI or social security, so now there’s a bunch of young folks living there. Needless to say, the place went downhill fast. I’d say if I had to guess, probably 80% of them don’t have a ******* thing wrong with them. I don’t know how many times I’ve been asked by some of them if I want to buy their EBT card balance, so I know how rampant this **** is. It’s ******* infuriating.

I like your store idea, a lot.

Is it possible for you to be anymore racist? I mean, maybe if you got up earlier in the morning........nice pictures to "illustrate" it for us.........

You stupid, blithering nitwit. African-Americans (except for one example) are MAKING the comments. The memes provide NOT ONE HINT as to who is receiving the food stamps or selling the food stamps referenced - NOT ONE HINT.

But because you are such a ******* moron racist bigot, you PRESUME that the food stamp recipients referenced must be African-American. Because racist.

Idiot.

You stupid, blithering nitwit. African-Americans (except for one example) are MAKING the comments. The memes provide NOT ONE HINT as to who is receiving the food stamps or selling the food stamps referenced - NOT ONE HINT.

But because you are such a ******* moron racist bigot, you PRESUME that the food stamp recipients referenced must be African-American. Because racist.

Idiot.

Why would 13% of the population be making 75% of any type of comment in Racist Chip's posts counselor?

Is there some esoteric knowledge that pertains to government benefits that black people are aware of, and are kind enough to share with the entire population?

Please tell us how this works?

And you have to love the " small government" types wanting to give people food directly instead of the card because the logistics alone would increase the cost at least 10x THAT'S WHAT THE GOVERNMENT DISCOVERED DECADES AGO MORONS.

The point is as long as you are making the poor suffer, money is NO object..........when you are a Repugnican.

That's why when studies show that housing the homeless and putting the ones that are capable of it in work training programs because this would save the states an average of 40% in costs from emergency room visits, incarceration, etc. CONservatives flat out reject it.

There can be nothing more sad, wretched, and flat out compassionless than the thoughts of a CONservative.

Yes, we can all see how online retailers like Amazon are struggling and brick and mortar stores are thriving. You just can't survive with a business model that depends on online choice and shipping. Can't be done.

YOu stole that idea from my wife. She has had that idea for 20 years. Roll I am happy to see we have some common ground.

No you ***, you claim we reject it but we don't, we just reject the idea that is has to be all government run and not done through private charity or through other more effective agencies than wasteful government bureaucracy. Why do you have to such a condescending jackass? RollRed managed to have a well thought out decent response and contribute positively showing he has twice the class and intelligence you show.

Yes, we can all see how online retailers like Amazon are struggling and brick and mortar stores are thriving. You just can't survive with a business model that depends on online choice and shipping. Can't be done.

Yeah....everyone knows Bezos built his empire shipping instant mashed potatoes through UPS.........common knowledge.

LMAO

Yeah....everyone knows Bezos built his empire shipping instant mashed potatoes through UPS.........common knowledge.

LMAO

My wife has Amazon buttons around the house where we keep things. Push the button and it automatically orders paper towels or fabric softener which shows up the next day. We're like the freaking Jetson's.

My wife has Amazon buttons around the house where we keep things. Push the button and it automatically orders paper towels or fabric softener which shows up the next day. We're like the freaking Jetson's.

Yes, but it's a system that depends on Amazon's cloud service infrastracture that is subsidized by the entire Amazon enterprise.

In other words to get that Tide button on your washing machine to order more Tide and keep it competitive to where it's not vastly cheaper(including your time, etc.) for you to just run to your local grocer yourself. They are depending on the volume discounts they get from carriers and the efficiencies they have achieved by building that infrastructure that the carriers benefit from as well ,thus allowing said volume discount.

The U.S. gov. has no such infrastructure, they do have the postal service........I rest my case.

They could also contract this service out, which again would increase the cost by who knows how much.

Again: It's an idiotic idea hatched up by idiots in the Trump administration....in other words it all adds up, literally.

Supporters love it because, again: it punishes the poor for a few bad apples. Never mind the trillions that have been lost by DOD over the years, or the abuses by contractors...nary a peep from the Trumptards.

Last edited:
Yes, but it's a system that depends on Amazon's cloud service infrastracture that is subsidized by the entire Amazon enterprise.

In other words to get that Tide button on your washing machine to order more Tide and keep it competitive to where it's not vastly cheaper(including your time, etc.) for you to just run to your local grocer yourself. They are depending on the volume discounts they get from carriers and the efficiencies they have achieved by building that infrastructure that the carriers benefit from as well ,thus allowing said volume discount.

The U.S. gov. has no such infrastructure, they do have the postal service........I rest my case.

They could also contract this service out, which again would increase the cost by who knows how much.

Again: It's an idiotic idea hatched up by idiots in the Trump administration....in other words it all adds up, literally.

Supporters love it because, again: it punishes the poor for a few bad apples. Never mind the trillions that have been lost by DOD over the years, or the abuses by contractors...nary a peep from the Trumptards.

50 Trillion has been spent on Welfare since the 70s. The poverty rate hasn't changed an iota.

Keep banging that drum Tard.

50 Trillion has been spent on Welfare since the 70s. The poverty rate hasn't changed an iota.

Keep banging that drum Tard.

Child Poverty Falls to Record Low, Comprehensive Measure Shows Stronger Government Policies Account for Long-Term Improvement

The child poverty rate fell to a record low of 15.6 percent in 2016, a little more than half its 1967 level of 28.4 percent. This finding emerges from a new poverty series we have developed that combines the Census Bureau’s poverty data for 2016 with long-term poverty data compiled by Columbia University researchers.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/pover...lls-to-record-low-comprehensive-measure-shows

You forget the Trump in front of the tard.

Here let's do it Sesame Street style for Tiny Tim and the other Alt-Reich slow learners.

" Trumppppp-tard.....Trumppppp-tard...Trumptard!"

See how easy that is kids?

What really pisses me off is when the taxpayer foots the bill for food stamps to feed the children and at the same time feed the child at school because there is a fear that they are not getting fed at home. And then pay for social services to see they are getting fed. Something is broke dick.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Child Poverty Falls to Record Low, Comprehensive Measure Shows Stronger Government Policies Account for Long-Term Improvement

The child poverty rate fell to a record low of 15.6 percent in 2016, a little more than half its 1967 level of 28.4 percent. This finding emerges from a new poverty series we have developed that combines the Census Bureau’s poverty data for 2016 with long-term poverty data compiled by Columbia University researchers.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/pover...lls-to-record-low-comprehensive-measure-shows

You forget the Trump in front of the tard.

Here let's do it Sesame Street style for Tiny Tim and the other Alt-Reich slow learners.

" Trumppppp-tard.....Trumppppp-tard...Trumptard!"

See how easy that is kids?

Beating you like a drum is so easy. You focus on "Children." I spoke of the POVERTY RATE you asstard. Let's look at a real source, the US Census (https://www.census.gov/data/tables/time-series/demo/income-poverty/historical-poverty-people.html):

The US Poverty Rate in the 1970s:
1979: 9.2
1978: 9.1
1977: 9.3
1976: 9.4
1975: 9.7
1974: 8.8
1973: 8.8
1972: 9.3
1971: 10.0
1970: 10.1

Average US Poverty Rate for the 1970s: 9.37

The US Poverty Rate for the past 10 years:
2016: 9.8
2015: 10.4
2014: 11.6
2013: 11.7
2012: 11.8
2011: 11.8
2010: 11.8
2009: 11.1
2008: 10.3
2007: 9.8

Average US Poverty Rate for the past 10 years: 11.01

I stand corrected. The US Poverty rate has gotten WORSE since the 1970s.

From the Bezos AltLeft Washington Post:

imrs.php

Despite the overall poverty level worsening, or staying flat in general since the 1970s, our Government spends more and more and more on Poverty year after year. We throw more and more money at the problem, and it has no impact. None. Nada. Zilch.

imrs.php

You put the Tard in Libtard.