• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What if we cut Ebron?

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
(Disclaimer: I started this post seriously thinking about cutting this guy and looking for a substitute in free agency because it's kind of a weak class in the draft. What I found out is that we shouldn't let him go after all). So here was my original post before:

What do you guys think of cutting Ebron? It would cost 2,5M in dead cap and free up 6M. That is a lot of dough to play with if you do a long term contract deal minimizing the cap hit of the first year.

Look at what the cowboys gave Prescott, 40M yearly avg! That just tells you that Jerry knows next season will have a Huge jump in the cap, so if he can play that game why can't we?
With those 6M you could look for a TE that isn't just a big WR that doesn't block, here is the list of top available TEs according to profootbalnetwork.com

Top available free agent tight ends in 2021

1) Hunter Henry, Los Angeles Chargers
2) Jonnu Smith, Tennessee Titans
3) Gerald Everett, Los Angeles Rams
4) Rob Gronkowski, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
5) Jared Cook, New Orleans Saints
6) Mo Alie-Cox, Indianapolis Colts

Let me add to that list Kyle Rudolph.

so Henry will be too expensive for our wallet but a guy like Jonnu Smith might be, after that who else really is an attractive option?
- Rudolph, expensive and old so he can't be signed to a long term contract to lower his cap hit
- Gronk, **** him
- Everett would be a big downgrade
- Cook is really old, 34 already
- Cox... who wants to sign a guy named More Alley Cocks? Just kidding, but he does suck a bit hehehe

So slim pickings, basically you would lose a decent receiving TE to practically go for Smith or nothing in free agency. Conclusion, we can't let Ebron go.

Salute the Nation

Gronk seems like Tampa or nothing, but I would absolutely sign him if I could. Still capable as a receiver, but a monster blocker. The guy is one of the greatest tight ends ever and he did the dirty work without complaining.

I wouldn't cut Ebron, though. The Steelers don't have much in terms of offensive weapons and Ebron at least creates some mismatches and was a solid target in the red zone last year.

I stay pat with Ebron and draft a guy like yeabow to take over next year or the psi kid who is a complete Te run block and catch

Even with Ebron on the roster, we are short at the tight end position. I wouldnt cut him

Cut or not we need to draft a TE.

Salute the nation
When it comes down to OL, WR, RB, QB, TE, I believe TE has to be lowest on the list. There are a few guys I like and would draft, the Steelers just don't focus their offense around the tight end position. They like throwing the ball to their receivers as they're generally better playmakers and we desperately need better talent at running back.

When it comes down to OL, WR, RB, QB, TE, I believe TE has to be lowest on the list. There are a few guys I like and would draft, the Steelers just don't focus their offense around the tight end position. They like throwing the ball to their receivers as they're generally better playmakers and we desperately need better talent at running back.

Definately not top priority as Ebron will remain the main receiving TE who is working on blocking. If the right TE is there then maybe pull the trigger but first we have to fill our biggest concern and that is OL / RB or LBer

EDIT: I didn't say QB because I don't think the right one will be there at 1.24

Salute the nation

Edrop isn’t going anywhere this year. Brining Jesse James back should be considered. The thing about James is 9/10 times he catches the ball. He’s solid as a run blocker and he’s reliable. Always has been. He got paid by the Lions so maybe he can come here for less

Edrop isn’t going anywhere this year. Brining Jesse James back should be considered. The thing about James is 9/10 times he catches the ball. He’s solid as a run blocker and he’s reliable. Always has been. He got paid by the Lions so maybe he can come for less

I couldn’t delete one of them. Sorry

No worries but the reality is if they could get Jessie James back here, on the cheap then that's what would be a good thing.

You were right in saying it twice !!!

Salute the nation

I’m all for brining Jesse James back at a reasonable price and drafting a TE. I believe he could have put up similar production auto what we have seen from the position the last 2 years if he stayed and was “used properly”.

Bring my boy Jesse James back not just because we are both tall, and share the same name. But because he caught the got damn ball! Colbert get on the phone now.

I'm all for bringing the outlaw in a modest contract, hard worker and dependable. Should they wait for other cuts or jump on the gun to secure james?

I’d love to see Kyle Rudolph in black and gold. Dependable, high character leader.

Face reality..

We’re stuck with this terrible free agent signing.

colbert was reaching in an attempt to correct the wrong when we signed the meat head tight end from San Diego a few years back..

Face reality..

We’re stuck with this terrible free agent signing.

colbert was reaching in an attempt to correct the wrong when we signed the meat head tight end from San Diego a few years back..
I disagree with terrible. He's better than the Lewis or Remiersma signings.

7 years in the league for Ebron, and he hit his 3rd highest total for receptions, 3rd highest in yardage, and 2nd highest in TDs. Well above his career averages for all of those categories.

i don't like his blocking or drops, but he's above the line as a productive receiving TE

Yeah Cope..he plays and has some production ..although his blocking is non existent and his drops seem to come at the most inopportune time...

but I don’t think he fits in the room to use a hockey term..and to me..that a must have, especially when making a significant signing from another organization.,

Last edited:
can't Delete. This post was meant for GD, and I posted there.