• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who do you take at 1:15 if...

I don't see any of this, personally. He plays high, but I have yet to see consistent slacking or giving up. I think only Clowney and Mack have more upside in his draft.

It's not all the time, but it's enough that it concerns me. Steelers typically don't like to take guys with effort issues, Gilbert being a glaring exception. Hageman clearly has the talent, but l worry about his heart.

If the Steelers were looking OT in round one, you think that Kouandjio and Moses are the guys that would indicate that? What about Shaun Sarrett, the Steelers offensive assistant, being the guy that put Greg Robinson through his workout at his pro day? They were at Matthews pro day and Lewans. From what I am hearing, they had dinner with Lewan. Why in the world would they entertain all three of those guys at their pro day if they are not interested in a first round OT?

they are interested in those 3. And each of those pro days had other players they may have interest in. Michigan has Schofield and Gallon. Auburn has Dee Ford and Tre Mason. A&M had Mike Evans and Manziel.

It's like a Mendenhall situation where they jump on a guy they didn't think he would be available. The steelers didn't do their homework on Mendenhall, they just took him. They don't want it be in that position again.

That doesn't mean they are actively looking at OT as a high need. If they were, then they would have also had pre draft visits with guys like Kou and Moses. From what I see, it looks like they took a look at the top 3 guys and then guys like Seantrel Henderson who will be available later.

look at all the CB and WR they've invited for visits. That shows you they are actively looking for those positions, but at OT they will likely only take one high if they get another DeCastro type value fall to them.

We we will find out about the Lewan situation on draft day. I'm sure it's been fully investigated and if he comes up clean, I doubt he will make it out of the top 10. I think he will be the second OT drafted. Robinson may be a project because he didn't do much pass blocking.

If Lewan is available at the steelers pick, that should be a sign that teams don't like what they found in their investigations, and if that's the case, I think he will be off the steelers board.

Whew, well I guess since they did not bring in any first round WRs, then they are not actively considering first round WRs either.

Henderson is not the only OT they have viewed. They also have been in touch with Wesley Johnson of Vandy. And, the Steelers had people at a variety of Pro Days. Was Tomlin and Colbert at Alabama's pro day? Nope. It was held the same day as Michigan and we know they were there. That was the first Bama pro day. The second was on April 7th. There were between 20-24 teams in attendance. Were the Steelers one of them? Odd if they were not because Mosley worked out that day as well, wait, unless we are not interested in ILBs.

And, Virginia holds its pro day the same day as Florida and Louisville. I would think that some of the pass rushers at Florida and Louisville would draw the HC and GM. They seem to like their LBs and hitting those visits. But, it does not mean they did not have OL coaches at the Virginia pro day, you can bet they had someone there.

To think they scout 3 OL that you state won't be there but ignore OL that might fall to their second pick is kind of insane. Why piss away your time on guys you likely cannot get and ignore players you can get? That defies logic.

Lewan very well MAY be off the Steelers board. Odd that Schoefield was asked by several teams what he thought of his teammate though. It appears those looking to talk to Schoefield may have also wanted to dig on Lewan as well.

I hope that draft reports are correct and we can land Lewan in the first, Hageman in the 2nd, Moncrief in the 3rd, and Seastruck in the 4th. That would be a nice haul of elite athletes pretty damn good football players. Sure, we would have to draft a later round corner (maybe 2), but that is fine with me as long as we land some elite players. While I am not sold on Lewan, plenty of people are and I may just be wrong. I think Hageman has some of the Dontari Poe aspects about his game (raw but physically superior with a monster upside). Moncrief is not my first choice for a big WR (Bryant is), but I can see how he could fit. In watching Seastruck, I think he could be an excellent 3rd down/change of pace back. Think Chris Rainey in an NFL body.

That looks good, but are we then hoping that those late round CB's stick? If not what are they going to do about the CB position in 2015? It's my understanding that only 1 starting CB will be under contract then. Do they offer Gay and Ike another 1 year deal or go FA?

That looks good, but are we then hoping that those late round CB's stick? If not what are they going to do about the CB position in 2015? It's my understanding that only 1 starting CB will be under contract then. Do they offer Gay and Ike another 1 year deal or go FA?

Just a wait and see what value is there. Realistically probably can't get every big need this draft. As far as corner I wouldn't be shocked to see one picked in one or two if the value is equal to another position............................

and at worst more money next year, a free agent corner could come in equivalent to the Mitchell signing...................

Last edited:

You can sign free agents from other teams too. It is still permitted.

I take Lewan and laugh all the way to the podium. That gives us a great LT prospect and gives us flexibility with our Oline. Then I target CB or WR in the next rounds.

best one so far, never pass up a chance at a possible great left tackle to be. That is a future franchise position. We could really build a nice group of nine out of that bunch and be set for a long time. At least when we would be trying to get Ben's replacement on the field he would have a decent line in front of him that he could count on.

I also like TMCs first 4 rounds, that would be great. Somebody maybe everybody send it to the Steelers they have been needing help lately.

We need a wr not a number 1 wide out we have that, a good number 2 or 3 would be great. One of our rookies from last year maybe the new number 2 or 3. Hopefully we find a linebacker or 2 that can be something maybe a late round project. We may still bring back the beard and silverback in for a curtain call. We need a tight end and a corner.

Last edited:
Whew, well I guess since they did not bring in any first round WRs, then they are not actively considering first round WRs either.

Henderson is not the only OT they have viewed. They also have been in touch with Wesley Johnson of Vandy. And, the Steelers had people at a variety of Pro Days. Was Tomlin and Colbert at Alabama's pro day? Nope. It was held the same day as Michigan and we know they were there. That was the first Bama pro day. The second was on April 7th. There were between 20-24 teams in attendance. Were the Steelers one of them? Odd if they were not because Mosley worked out that day as well, wait, unless we are not interested in ILBs.

And, Virginia holds its pro day the same day as Florida and Louisville. I would think that some of the pass rushers at Florida and Louisville would draw the HC and GM. They seem to like their LBs and hitting those visits. But, it does not mean they did not have OL coaches at the Virginia pro day, you can bet they had someone there.

To think they scout 3 OL that you state won't be there but ignore OL that might fall to their second pick is kind of insane. Why piss away your time on guys you likely cannot get and ignore players you can get? That defies logic.

Lewan very well MAY be off the Steelers board. Odd that Schoefield was asked by several teams what he thought of his teammate though. It appears those looking to talk to Schoefield may have also wanted to dig on Lewan as well.

you didn't get my point at all.

YOU are the one saying they are scouting these top 3 guys. I am the one saying those top 3 guys happened to be at pro days they attended that had other prospects of interest. They didn't piss away any time on the top 3.

By your logic, they are scouting Manziel and Bridgewater right? I mean the Steelers attended their pro days so they must be itching to draft a QB.

You mention them not going to the Virginia pro day to see Moses because they instead wanted to see pass rushers and DBs at Florida and Louisville. Same with Bama. Again, that's the point I'm making. If OT was high on their draft priority then they would have gone to Virginia and Bama.

Look at the pre draft meetings.

They have met with several WRs and very few OL. They met with Beckham and they were at A&M's pro day for Evans. They met with Benjamin at the combine, Allen Robinson, Moncrief,. That's 5 guys right there who are 1st or 2nd rounders. They also met with Martavis Bryant, Bruce Ellington, John Brown,

Now let's look at the OTs. They attended the Michigan, Texas A&M, and Auburn pro days, but have not met beyond that with any of those OTs. Aside from those 3, the only OTs I see that they've met with are Henderson and Wesley Johnson. Henderson is probably a 4th rounder and Johnson is more like a 6th rounder who will probably move to G.

So yeah, I stand by my comment that the Steelers do not appear to have OT as a high draft priority. Sure, if one of the top 3 falls somehow, they'd likely grab him but beyond that, they haven't put in much work.