• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who is the most deserving Head coach not in the hall of Fame

For the record… of tge top 20 coaches in all time wins… 4, including Tomlin, are still active and not eligible yet… but of the other 16 that are eligible, 7 are not in the HOF… this includes:
#8 Shottenheimer
#10 Reeves
#11 Knox
#12 Fisher
#14 Coughlin
#15 Shanahan
#16 Holmgren

Frankly I thought Cowher was marginal and might not have got in any time soon if he wasn’t on TV every week but now Shades will get in because he has similar stats. Apparently we’ve got to a place where every coach who’s won a Super Bowl will get in.

Nah it goes like this
They look at wins and winning percentage… it isn’t the only criteria but its a baseline.. basically if you did a lot of other stuff and have around 120ish wins with a positive winning percentage you are in the conversation… 150 is more convincing
Then they look at championship games( Super Bowls) .. did you win one and how many you got to… then they factor in contributions to the game.., both in game schemes and strategies and other things like youth programs or other auxiliary contributions to football In general

Good choice. Great choice, in fact.

299 wins, 26-16 in the playoffs, slightly higher winning percentage in the playoffs than the regular season. That tells me his teams could beat the best.

Ahh, edit. His coaching record includes time as an Asst. Coach with the Cowboys. His PERSONAL head coaching record is 192-166-2 and 11-9 in the playoffs.

Also, I think he is already in the HOF.

So goddammit, terrible choice, SF448.

Edit the edit: Nope, not in the HOF yet.

Dammit, SF448, you are making me look bad!!

I was very surprised that Reeves and Shanahan weren’t in the Hof… all the rest you can make compelling cases against but those two were supposed to be surefire slam dunks

I was very surprised that Reeves and Shanahan weren’t in the Hof… all the rest you can make compelling cases against but those two were supposed to be surefire slam dunks

Know who else is not in the HOF yet? Our own Coach.

What the ... ? Seriously, that oversight is ridiculous.

Frankly I thought Cowher was marginal and might not have got in any time soon if he wasn’t on TV every week but now Shades will get in because he has similar stats. Apparently we’ve got to a place where every coach who’s won a Super Bowl will get in.
There us a significant difference between the two😉

He did broker that outstanding theoretical Lev Bell trade after all…

And managed to draft Ed Reed even though he was selected before the Steelers first pick. He has THAT type of confidence.

"And the Steelers select ... Ed Reed, safety, Miami. Wait, I thought the Ravens took him a few picks ago. Well, they have must have taken another Ed Reed so the Steelers get the guy from Miami."

And managed to draft Ed Reed even though he was selected before the Steelers first pick. He has THAT type of confidence.

"And the Steelers select ... Ed Reed, safety, Miami. Wait, I thought the Ravens took him a few picks ago. Well, they have must have taken another Ed Reed so the Steelers get the guy from Miami."

Ed Reed’s head was the perfect size.. less wind drag on his body

Doug Pederson approves of this message.
Don't look now, but Pederson is turning things around in Jacksonville, in his first year after inheriting the mess that Urban Meyer left behind. He's a very good head coach, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he wins another Super Bowl before Tomlin does.

For the record… of tge top 20 coaches in all time wins… 4, including Tomlin, are still active and not eligible yet… but of the other 16 that are eligible, 7 are not in the HOF… this includes:
#8 Shottenheimer
#10 Reeves
#11 Knox
#12 Fisher
#14 Coughlin
#15 Shanahan
#16 Holmgren
I'd go with everyone there with the possible exception of Fisher who could be in the Hall of Pretty Good.
Marty didn't win a championship but he has a helluva coaching tree.
Coughlin won two Super Bowls, both over the hated Belicheat and the Forces of Evil.

I know it doesn’t mean jack sh,……. But he will lead the new NW wing of consecutive non-losing season recipients.

Tomlin will get in, but other than win % and riding a HOF QB to season wins…… what else is he known for? 1-SB ?

Salute the nation
He intangines the intangibles

Not every coach who wins a championship gets into the hall, much like careers wins, its a piece of the puzzle but not the end all be all… take Brian the Brain Billick… that guy was a supposed offensive guru who takes a Ravens Team primarily built in another city and turns their offense into mush, meanwhile Marvin Lewis turns their D into one of the best all time…( its one of the foundation pieces of the few people who believe Lewis belongs in the hall)…

Billick would only make the playoffs 4 times in his 9 year career… he never won a playoff game without Lewis on the staff… he never coached again after leaving the ravens… he only won 80 games… nothing about that resume screams hall of fame.. again maybe if you factor his offense In Minnesota he would make it past the preliminary talks, but even then it wasn’t a championship level offense… he just isn’t ever getting in…

When I see Tomlin I see a bust.
you mean like...:
1597628fc4a403e56d3a904bd921e91f.15.jpg

There us a significant difference between the two😉
Like what? I mean like what that can be seen statistically...not just your feelings about the two coaches.

I agree with Deion Sanders on this one. The HOF should be for limited special, special players and coaches. With that in mind I don't think I'd put Cowher or Tomlin in there. The coaches wing would be small...Halas, Lombardi, Shula, Noll, Walsh, Belechick when it is time, but maybe that's about it. I'm sure I'm missing one or two...but another level special guys should be the HOF.

If they keep putting around 8 guys in every year, how special is the HOF? Like Lynn Swann for example...I loved the guy, and with the way it is he sure as heck deserves it. But if they kept it to different level special...would he be in? I know, how do you define that?

He did broker that outstanding theoretical Lev Bell trade after all…

One of the smoothest artists I’ve ever witnessed.

A lot of folks forget that BELL wasn’t even rostered at the time of the trade…………….

Salute the nation

Like what? I mean like what that can be seen statistically...not just your feelings about the two coaches.

I agree with Deion Sanders on this one. The HOF should be for limited special, special players and coaches. With that in mind I don't think I'd put Cowher or Tomlin in there. The coaches wing would be small...Halas, Lombardi, Shula, Noll, Walsh, Belechick when it is time, but maybe that's about it. I'm sure I'm missing one or two...but another level special guys should be the HOF.

If they keep putting around 8 guys in every year, how special is the HOF? Like Lynn Swann for example...I loved the guy, and with the way it is he sure as heck deserves it. But if they kept it to different level special...would he be in? I know, how do you define that?

Warren Sapp would be another NOT inducted to the HOF. I think his analysts exposure is what got him in marginally as his career was.

I too think the criteria has slackened and thus the HOF has lost some credibility.

billicheat would be hard for me to induct due to the cheating.

Salute the nation

Well Dungy went in before Cowher with a similar record each having a SB and Cowher with an extra AFC championship. So......where do you end. Only coaches with dynasties?

Warren Sapp would be another NOT inducted to the HOF. I think his analysts exposure is what got him in marginally as his career was.

I too think the criteria has slackened and thus the HOF has lost some credibility.

billicheat would be hard for me to induct due to the cheating.
Last 20 years or so it's become the Hall Of Pretty Good.

I disagree… while certain positions are over represented, overall its correctly represented by stats… as of 2022 there have been over 25,000 nfl players not counting practice squad players of guys who were drafted and never made a roster… there have been another 517 head coaches that have been in the league and several thousand gms, executives and scouts that qualify as builders… there are 362 HOF members… so you are talking what? Somewhere between 1.3 and 1.2% of people making it? That seems legit… especially since a lot of early contributors got in for founding it…

The whole argument saying its too watered down is a baseball argument because baseball has been around for fifty more years and has less inductees, but baseball also has many thousands less eligible people… they just passed 20,000 players a year or so ago… the percentages were actually worse for baseball for a while…

There are always a couple guys who are borderline that get in, or get in based on things beyond their play or on field contributions… but its not like they are putting in the vinnie testaverdes of the league in

Fully agree, when guys like Greene / Lambert / Franco were inducted, it showed a STANDARD, today….. not so much.

Salute the nation

I disagree… while certain positions are over represented, overall its correctly represented by stats… as of 2022 there have been over 25,000 nfl players not counting practice squad players of guys who were drafted and never made a roster… there have been another 517 head coaches that have been in the league and several thousand gms, executives and scouts that qualify as builders… there are 362 HOF members… so you are talking what? Somewhere between 1.3 and 1.2% of people making it? That seems legit… especially since a lot of early contributors got in for founding it…

The whole argument saying its too watered down is a baseball argument because baseball has been around for fifty more years and has less inductees, but baseball also has many thousands less eligible people… they just passed 20,000 players a year or so ago… the percentages were actually worse for baseball for a while…

There are always a couple guys who are borderline that get in, or get in based on things beyond their play or on field contributions… but its not like they are putting in the vinnie testaverdes of the league in
As big a Steelers fan as I am, I thought putting Cowher in was kinda marginal. Helped greatly by being on TV every week.

As big a Steelers fan as I am, I thought putting Cowher in was kinda marginal. Helped greatly by being on TV every week.

Cowher had the Wins, a championship, a second super bowl trip, but the two things that put him over the top was the contributions to the game and his post coaching tv work for sure… those things matter a lot… he isn’t as marginal as one might think, though coaches are a bit over represented, it’s mostly because so many of them had other roles that added to their resume, like Cowher… or how Ditka got in for his playing time, but was boostered by the 85 championship as a coach