• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who is the Most Underrated Steeler of the 21st Century?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
There has been plenty of talk recently about the Pittsburgh Steelers moves in free agency and speculation about what they will do in the upcoming NFL Draft. While the off-season is a fun time to think about the future, it also is a great time to reflect on the past while we don’t have Steeler football on every Sunday. There have been so many great players to pass through the organization in the 21st century. We have seen greatness with Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu, Alan Faneca, among many more. But, with as many star players as there have been, some get lost in our minds along the way.

This is surely a fun discussion to have. Which Steeler in the last 21 years was a key to many seasons of success, but occasionally gets overlooked? Well of course, to each his/her own. But there is one guy that comes to my mind every time I think of underrated Steelers. Before I dive into this particular defensive player, it’s hard not to mention several others. Brett Keisel, Casey Hampton, Deshea Townsend, Clark Haggans, Larry Foote, Antwaan Randle El, Mike Wallace, and Ike Taylor all come to my mind and deserve credit. There are certainly more that have performed well and are under appreciated for their efforts while wearing the black and gold.

That brings us to a linebacker who was a staple for the Steelers defense from 2007 to 2016, Lawrence Timmons.

Timmons played 10 years for the Steelers and missed just two games. He led the Steelers in tackles five out of the 10 years he played, yet only has one Pro Bowl honor. In defenses that had Polamalu, Ryan Clark, James Harrison, James Farrior, Ryan Shazier and Lamar Woodley, Timmons was vastly underrated.

He was the most important defensive player for the team in 2014 with 132 tackles, seven tackles for loss and two sacks. Timmons’ play against the run helped the Steelers to allow only 100 yards per game on the ground to opposing offenses. This was the only year that he was a Pro Bowler and was also named a Second Team All-Pro. This season, however, wasn’t even his best year.

Timmons was arguably, behind Polamalu who won Defensive Player of the Year, the most important player for the Steelers defense during their Super Bowl run in the 2010 season. Albeit ending in a loss to the Green Bay Packers, he had a phenomenal season and didn’t receive even one NFL honor. The defense allowed just a mesmerizing 62.8 yards to opposing rushing attacks. The whole defense was extremely talented, but Timmons in the middle led the team with a career high 135 tackles. He added 10 tackles for loss, eight QB hits, three sacks, two interceptions and two forced fumbles.

There are dozens of Steelers who were under appreciated during their tenure in Pittsburgh, and as far as the last 21 seasons go, Timmons has a case to be considered one of the most underrated Steelers players of all time.

Who is at the top of your list for most underrated Steeler of the 21st century? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Aaron Smith… best or at least most technically sound true 3/4 DE in history … completely ignored because his job wasn’t to gather flashy stats… just eat blocks and stop the run
I mentioned AS on the Gridiron podcast last night. I'll be promoting it tomorrow.

I mentioned AS on the Gridiron podcast last night. I'll be promoting it tomorrow.
Because of media ignorance and bias I fully expect several post 2000 Steelers to make the HOF when they reach the Vet Committee that actually has people who played with and against them… Aaron Smith is first on that list… i think guys like Farrior and hampton have real shots too…

Because of media ignorance and bias I fully expect several post 2000 Steelers to make the HOF when they reach the Vet Committee that actually has people who played with and against them… Aaron Smith is first on that list… i think guys like Farrior and hampton have real shots too…

Just seeing these names and thinking of the rest of the guys on these teams...man, those were some special groups.

Aaron Smith… best or at least most technically sound true 3/4 DE in history … completely ignored because his job wasn’t to gather flashy stats… just eat blocks and stop the run
Best 3/4 DE I've ever seen. Constant double-teams on him and he just seemed like an immoveable object...or rush the passer effectively whenever asked. Criminally underrated.

I loved Aaron Smith.

While never underrated by the Steeler Nation,I think Heath was terribly underrated in his time with the B&G. I always thought Heath was the best all around TE in the league. He never got the headlines. One of my all time favorites.

Another one of my favs back in the day was Yancey Thigpen. I was pissed when he left,and at the time thought he was one of the top receivers in the game.

I think Ike Taylor deserved more recognition than he got.

Last edited:
Aaron Smith but also Hines Ward. The guy changed the way the WR position is played (best WR blocker ever) and has the stats to be in the HOF yet has basically no chance to get in.

I loved Aaron Smith.

While never underrated by the Steeler Nation,I think Heath was terribly underrated in his time with the B&G. I always thought Heath was the best all around TE in the league. He never got the headlines. One of my all time favorites.

Another one of my favs back in the day was Yancey Thigpen. I was pissed when he left,and at the time thought he was one of the top receivers in the game.

I think Ike Taylor deserved more recognition than he got.

Yeah Heath was a great te playing in the worse systems for modern tes… the run first cowher model used him sparingly and didn’t feature him, the arians model just wanted to go deep to wrs and tes were typically lost in it unless the wrs were blanketed… great all around te that was underutilized here outside of blocking

Thigpen was different, we developed him off the chargers ps, and he was great, but he screwed up his knee or ankle really bad in 96, and the team doctors figured he only had a couple of years before it got too bad to ever play well again… Tennessee made him that absurd offer and he left and then three years later he was retired

Had that guy played in this era
A. He would have torn things up
B. They would have fixed him better and he wouldn’t have had such an inglorious ending

Aaron Smith

No more needs to be said

Salute the nation

Aaron Smith has to be the consensus pick, go to the 20th century and you could include LC

From the point of view of Steelers fans, I don't think guys like Aaron Smith, James Farrior, Ryan Clark, etc. were underrated. All were recognized for how good they were and how much they meant to the team. If you're talking from a national perspective, things change.

From the fan side, I'll throw out some different names.

Jeff Hartings
One of the team's best ever free agent signings. There is a long history of Hall of Fame or potential Hall of Fame centers and Hartings wasn't at that level, but he was still very good.

Marvel Smith
The Steelers had a pretty good left tackle with Wayne Gandy and after a year with Faneca playing LT, Smith stepped in and solidified the position for four years. He may not have the long-term impact, but was a good player.

Kimo von Oelhoffen
With flashy names like Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, and Brett Keisel along the defensive line, Kimo was one of those affordable, but solid signings by the Steelers. He elevated his game in Pittsburgh and was part of a dominating defensive front three.

Deshea Townsend
After struggling for years at the position, Townsend was a guy fans wanted to see in a bigger role and when he got there, he performed. He helped round out the secondary and made one of the most memorable plays in Heinz Field history with the pick 6 off Romo to beat the Cowboys.

If Casey Hampton doesn't get in the HOF he's the most underrated.

so underrated he didn't even get mentioned

but he was the first guy I thought of

An honorable
Mention for Hines

If you don’t have him as #2 all time, then he’s under rated too imo