• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why Mike Tomlin is a Hall of Fame Coach

If Tomlin coached any other team the fans would be blowing him on the sideline before and after every game.

as Steeler fans we rightly expect more from our teams. Injuries have played a huge part in the poor finishes to some seasons...especially last season. hell they were pulling people out of the stands to play linebacker

yeah I know injuries are a part of the game...but **** have the Steelers had some bad ******* luck

Then he should have had another with his roster by that logic. I am with Cope on this one. I think some of you have an axe to grind with Tomlin for some reason and also overrate our own roster sometimes. Maybe, just Maybe, with all the talent we had it was made to look better than it was by Tomlin holding together a bunch of disparate personalities and maybe just maybe he was getting more out of them than most would have. Look at how little most of those big talens have accomplished after leaving. Maybe we should be looking at it from the other angle.

I am not saying this is fact but I have a feeling Tomlin actually made some of these dumbasses look better by how he handled them than they really were. but that is just my opinion.
This would make too much sense and the narrative would cease to be relevant.

Everything that goes wrong is always the HC's fault---according to those that know more than I do...

If Tomlin coached any other team the fans would be blowing him on the sideline before and after every game.

as Steeler fans we rightly expect more from our teams. Injuries have played a huge part in the poor finishes to some seasons...especially last season. hell they were pulling people out of the stands to play linebacker

yeah I know injuries are a part of the game...but **** have the Steelers had some bad ******* luck
Bingo

Injuries killed our offense ? Naw,. We seen the writing on the wall before the 4 games annual collapse. I did. Ask slash.

Tomlin sucks. Decent coach. Not HOF.

If Tomlin doesn’t get up there and thank Big Ben Roethlisberger then the man doesn’t deserve it. I’m curious to see our record when Roethlisberger retires.

Injuries killed our offense ? Naw,. We seen the writing on the wall before the 4 games annual collapse. I did. Ask slash.

Tomlin sucks. Decent coach. Not HOF.
Oline got killed

Banner injured week 1 killing our tackle depth (That's why shitheads like Hawkins were our XT)
Wisnewski out then cut
Pouncey and DD playing injured
Feiler in and out of the lineup as well as DD

Ben had to get the ball out in under 2 seconds so Villanueva didn't get him killed.

There was no O line consistency last season.

It was 8-6 without him in 2019.
Yep. That was his best coaching to date. If he can keep a .571 5 years after Roethlisberger retires then I’d say he’s a HOF coach.

Banner injured week 1 killing our tackle depth (That's why shitheads like Hawkins were our XT) Wait, we had the awesome chuks okorafor jumping right in,, and taking over the most important spot on the O line this year, wash
Wisnewski out then cut
Wisnewski was a back up for Decastro. Who returned shortly after.
Pouncey and DD playing injured

Well i know decastro had some issues with his ankle, thus this years "needed' surgery. Who was making the decision to start a guy who couldnt do his job due to injury? So either he was hurt or he wasnt. But hey, we had this years must start Kevin Dotson filling in for DD, So Wash. I dont know anything about pouncy being hurt more than a game or whatever,,
Feiler in and out of the lineup as well as DD
Ill give you this one on feiler, but he shouldnt have been put back in the line up when he did get healthy. Our genius coaches would have been way ahead to leave dotson at LG and put Feiler back at RT.
Ben had to get the ball out in under 2 seconds so Villanueva didn't get him killed.

There was no O line consistency last season.
You cannot blame that **** show on the O Line.
I think you can blame scheme. Lack of a run game... Failure of foresight to see the problems you have an not address them. Nepotism. Yes this is how Fichtner got here to OC. These ARE the jobs of the HC. Go look at the packers line up in our last suprbowl, cant blame injurys ,,,,, "o line consistancy" The buck stops at the boss.

Like i said, Tomlin is a decent / good coach. Sans Ben, he is a back to being a DC or less somewhere.

I think you can blame scheme. Lack of a run game... Failure of foresight to see the problems you have an not address them. Nepotism. Yes this is how Fichtner got here to OC. These ARE the jobs of the HC. Go look at the packers line up in our last suprbowl, cant blame injurys ,,,,, "o line consistancy" The buck stops at the boss.

Like i said, Tomlin is a decent / good coach. Sans Ben, he is a back to being a DC or less somewhere.
You're right that a lot of the offense's problems last year were self inflicted. The line wasn't the best in the league, but they also abandoned the run. Fichtner said they didn't spend much time practicing the intermediate and deep passing game last year and it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't practice much running the ball either as the season progressed. They do seven shots at every training camp practice throwing the ball into the end zone from inside the five, yet we wonder why we can't pickup short yardage. These are all things decided by the coaches.

Wisnewski was a back up for Decastro. Who returned shortly after.

Well i know decastro had some issues with his ankle, thus this years "needed' surgery. Who was making the decision to start a guy who couldnt do his job due to injury? So either he was hurt or he wasnt. But hey, we had this years must start Kevin Dotson filling in for DD, So Wash. I dont know anything about pouncy being hurt more than a game or whatever,,

Ill give you this one on feiler, but he shouldnt have been put back in the line up when he did get healthy. Our genius coaches would have been way ahead to leave dotson at LG and put Feiler back at RT.

Good points. The only thing I'll mention to add to the discussion is Wis backed up all 3 interior positions and was also supposed to back up Pouncey. It killed our depth plans when he went down early.

Maurkice, like his twin brother Mike who played one less year, retired because their bodies fell apart. DD played with bone fragments in his ankle. Had surgery twice and it didn't help. Didn't want to go through a 3rd just to play this year.

Projected starting O line just had their first practice together yesterday.
Kinda late to get started, ain’t it?

Good points. The only thing I'll mention to add to the discussion is Wis backed up all 3 interior positions and was also supposed to back up Pouncey. It killed our depth plans when he went down early.
So if they needed OL depth (early or late or anytime) why did the Steelers cut Wisniewski after keeping him on the IR for 7 weeks? He was healthy enough to start 3 games for the Chiefs, including the Super Bowl. Never made any sense to me.

Kinda late to get started, ain’t it?
Just like the Stones sang, You can't always get what you want!

Finally healthy, and still have 3 weeks till the season starts, so I'm fine with that if they're all heathy.

At least we don't have to keep hearing about Dotson being a 2nd teamer, and Green not being ready to start at Center.