• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why Mike Tomlin is a Hall of Fame Coach

I mean, who's coaching today who will likely get in?
Bill Belicheat, and speaking of his cheating will be verboten, just like it is already. Remember Don Shula called him "Belicheat" on a broadcast once and not long afterward Don wasn't on TV anymore. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get in on the first ballot if the voters want to send a message.
Shades.
Mike Holmgren.
Sean Peyton maybe, he will be hurt by Bountygate and the one-year suspension he got.
Don Shula called Belichick, “Belicheat” on live television!!?? Oh man, I need to find that! it’s going to be my ringtone for contacts I have in the Massachusetts area!

Tomlin's team beat a HOF QB in Rivers, a Superbowl MVP in Flacco, and a HOFer in Kurt Warner to win a Superbowl, so there's that...
That was Cowher's team. Since the team has been mostly his, Tomlin's team beat A.J. McCarron, Alex Smith, and Matt Moore and lost to Tim Tebow, Blake Bortles, and Baker Mayfield. The evidence indicates that when Tomlin's team faces a reasonably competent QB in the playoffs they get their ***** handed to them.

I'll say it again. Until proven otherwise, anything of consequence Tomlin won he won with Cowher's players. Since the team has been all his they haven't won jack. A winning record and wild card playoff loss is simply his ceiling. He is Marvin Lewis with a better owner.

Out of curiosity,nobody mentions Pete Carroll in this discussion as future HOF coach. Won a SB,lost one. 145-94 record. 11-10 in playoffs.
I think we are at a point where any HC who won a Super Bowl will get into the HOF.
The standard is the standard.

I think we are at a point where any HC who won a Super Bowl will get into the HOF.
The standard is the standard.

That may be so for coaches but NOT two time winning Super Bowl QBs as one is still on the outside looking in.

Salute the nation

That was Cowher's team. Since the team has been mostly his, Tomlin's team beat A.J. McCarron, Alex Smith, and Matt Moore and lost to Tim Tebow, Blake Bortles, and Baker Mayfield. The evidence indicates that when Tomlin's team faces a reasonably competent QB in the playoffs they get their ***** handed to them.

I'll say it again. Until proven otherwise, anything of consequence Tomlin won he won with Cowher's players. Since the team has been all his they haven't won jack. A winning record and wild card playoff loss is simply his ceiling. He is Marvin Lewis with a better owner.
That team was 2 years removed from Cowher who couldn't get a winning record the year after he won a superbowl.

If we're talking the following year winning with a coach's players like Switzer, or Chucky I can see the argument. Not 3 years down the road from a Lombardi. Those players were playing for Coach Tomlin.

That team was 2 years removed from Cowher who couldn't get a winning record the year after he won a superbowl.

If we're talking the following year winning with a coach's players like Switzer, or Chucky I can see the argument. Not 3 years down the road from a Lombardi. Those players were playing for Coach Tomlin.
Using that logic then Shades should have won the SB after the 2009 season. Teams have an off year. Fact remains that the 2008 roster and coaching staff was substantially the same as 2005. A few less of Cowher’s players and they get to the Super Bowl in 2010 but lose. Even less of Cowher’s players and staff and they’re usually one-and-done in the playoffs. That’s an established pattern. Where am I wrong here?

Even less of Cowher’s players and staff and they’re usually one-and-done in the playoffs. That’s an established pattern. Where am I wrong here?
It's as simple as this right here for me. When I was old enough to start watching football it was right when Noll was finishing up and Cowher starting his career. I grew up watching the team win at least one playoff game in 8 of 10 appearances during Cowher's tenure. They've won at least one in 4 of 9 appearances for Tomlin. I don't think it's too much to expect the Steelers to win a playoff game more often.

Using that logic then Shades should have won the SB after the 2009 season. Teams have an off year. Fact remains that the 2008 roster and coaching staff was substantially the same as 2005. A few less of Cowher’s players and they get to the Super Bowl in 2010 but lose. Even less of Cowher’s players and staff and they’re usually one-and-done in the playoffs. That’s an established pattern. Where am I wrong here?
Because you see a team as a result of which coach isn't there as opposed to who is there and is actively coaching and making the decisions to get a team to Superbowls.

I find that logic flawed.

Because you see a team as a result of which coach isn't there as opposed to who is there and is actively coaching and making the decisions to get a team to Superbowls.

I find that logic flawed.
That would be incorrect. I'm looking at who IS here and he's given us three playoff wins in ten years, two of them against backup QB's and the third against a team that threw the game away in the final minutes, and allowed at least 40 points in our last three playoff games.

That would be incorrect. I'm looking at who IS here and he's given us three playoff wins in ten years, two of them against backup QB's and the third against a team that threw the game away in the final minutes, and allowed at least 40 points in our last three playoff games.
Obviously.

The guy hasn’t gotten it done the past 10 years with a ton of talent. For as much as Cowher had his faults he would’ve had a couple SB’s with Tomlin’s roster

I like Tomlin. He’s a cool guy, and is a smooth talker. But he’s lacking that extra oomph that he needs for the amount of talent he was given and even put together

Obviously.

The guy hasn’t gotten it done the past 10 years with a ton of talent. For as much as Cowher had his faults he would’ve had a couple SB’s with Tomlin’s roster
Not necessarily. Being in the AFC, at some point you were likely to come up against Belicheat and Br*dy in the playoffs (until last year), so in a way this discussion is kind of moot because over 19 years neither The Chin or Shades ever beat Belicheat and Br*dy in a game that mattered. I've pointed out before that back when we were getting to 3 Super Bowls in 6 years we never had to face the Pats****** because either Denver took them out or through a quirk they lost a tiebreaker with the Jets.

Not necessarily. Being in the AFC, at some point you were likely to come up against Belicheat and Br*dy in the playoffs (until last year), so in a way this discussion is kind of moot because over 19 years neither The Chin or Shades ever beat Belicheat and Br*dy in a game that mattered. I've pointed out before that back when we were getting to 3 Super Bowls in 6 years we never had to face the Pats****** because either Denver took them out or through a quirk they lost a tiebreaker with the Jets.
I think Cowher could’ve given Brady and Billy a good match if he stayed on as coach. Once Roethlisberger entered the foray, Cowher got it done. The Steelers had chances to win in 2001 against Brady. I remember Porter dropped a sure pick 6

I like Tomlin. He’s a cool guy, and is a smooth talker. But he’s lacking that extra oomph that he needs for the amount of talent he was given and even put together
Like I've said before, a winning record and first-round playoff loss is simply his ceiling.

Reactions: MTC
Where areas, Tomlin underachieved. Last season comes as a fine example. Damn near undefeated.

I think Cowher could’ve given Brady and Billy a good match if he stayed on as coach. Once Roethlisberger entered the foray, Cowher got it done. The Steelers had chances to win in 2001 against Brady. I remember Porter dropped a sure pick 6
Not a chance. Once Belicheat refined his cheating and Cowher refused to admit it, we never had a chance. Second, our DC for much of that time was Dick LeBeau and what Br*dy does best, short and medium passes, is what LeBeau's defense did worst.

Not a chance. Once Belicheat refined his cheating and Cowher refused to admit it, we never had a chance. Second, our DC for much of that time was Dick LeBeau and what Br*dy does best, short and medium passes, is what LeBeau's defense did worst.
True true.
I feel any team would save face for the league. The patriots really changed the sport.

and don’t remind me. Love LeBeau but we lost to Tebow of all qb’s

Where areas, Tomlin underachieved. Last season comes as a fine example. Damn near undefeated.
Until his annual late-season collapse. Lost 5 of their last 6 games including the playoff.
I still maintain the 11-0 was somewhat pumped up by opponents having starters out here and there with Covid while the Steelers stayed relatively healthy.

Until his annual late-season collapse. Lost 5 of their last 6 games including the playoff.
I still maintain the 11-0 was somewhat pumped up by opponents having starters out here and there with Covid while the Steelers stayed relatively healthy.
I was impressed with the consolidated schedule the Steelers played.

The offense became one dimensional and once Bud went down, TJ got double teamed a lot.

The OLB’s last season were impacting imo

True true.
I feel any team would save face for the league. The patriots really changed the sport.
Remember the Pats****** lost two consecutive Super Bowls to the Giants and Eli Freaking Manning because HC Tom Coughlin knew what the Cheating Bastiges were up to and changed his signals for the Super Bowls.

Remember the Pats****** lost two consecutive Super Bowls to the Giants and Eli Freaking Manning because HC Tom Coughlin knew what the Cheating Bastiges were up to and changed his signals for the Super Bowls.
Yep