• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why Mike Tomlin is a Hall of Fame Coach

I think we have the talent to pull it off. To me the thing holding us back would be Tomlin. But the defense is good enough, and im excited to see what canada can do.
The talent is there on defense. Just seems the scheme kills us.

Then why did he start 15 games? If he wasn’t the player he was the previous year, why didn’t Cowher sit him until he was physically/mentally 100%? Or sit him after throwing 5 picks in the 3rd game against CIN? They had another starting QB, Batch, on the roster.
He had his mouth wired shut and physically lost a lot of strength to start the season… people commented on it a lot… It was cowhers last season and everyone knew it so he just let things roll… I think Cowher was already checked out mentally and didn’t really care…

The talent is there on defense. Just seems the scheme kills us.
I'm thinking Butler is still running like 50% of LeBeau's defense. Still rarely playing man coverage, mostly a 3 man front, and having LB's cover WR's.

Not that I would have given a **** what you thought about “plagerism” — I was posting & contributing to this site long before most (going back to when it was becoming a “kinder, gentler” site) & earned the respect I’m due. Even if I spent a great deal of time away, I was personally asked to help contribute to building it back up. You can be sure that everything I put into articles are strongly researched and cited for authenticity.

I still have no clue what point you’re trying to make. where I’m contradicting my argument, or it makes the quotes from Noll & Cowher any less credible because they lost a single playoff game.

It’s just a fact in football - paralleled in life - that simply because a team didn’t win the Super Bowl doesn’t mean they weren’t a great team. You can do everything right and still lose no matter what endeavor it is.
I have no clue why you're putting quotation marks around a word I never used. It's nice that you strongly research and authenticate articles you write. I would hope so.

I'm not saying what Noll may have told his wife about it being a Super Bowl team or what Cowher said about them having "no apparent weaknesses" isn't credible. I've already told you that I'm sure that they both believed that. The point I'm making is that they were in the minority of that opinion at the time -- as you mentioned in your article ("few took him seriously"), but not in your reply to my post.

I guess we'll just have to disagree about what greatness is in the NFL. To me, losing in the first round of the playoffs by three touchdowns at home doesn't lend much to your argument. That's definitely NOT doing "everything right."

That would be incorrect. I'm looking at who IS here and he's given us three playoff wins in ten years, two of them against backup QB's and the third against a team that threw the game away in the final minutes, and allowed at least 40 points in our last three playoff games.
We also realize this is a game with 31 other teams playing to win as well? Games aren't won on a sheet of paper, and comparing ourselves to the Pats, when there is no comparison to their success, is folly.

We win 2017 if Shazier is healthy
We beat the Broncos in 15' if AB wasn't targeted the game before.
We Kill Tebow if Casey Hampton AND Brett Keisel don't leave with injury in the 2nd QTR.
We lost a chance to beat JAX at home with no Aaron Smith for that playoff game

You win when you're healthy at the end of the season.

I feel your pain Ron. Losing 4 AFCC games at home with Cowher had me just as frusterated.

Out of curiosity,nobody mentions Pete Carroll in this discussion as future HOF coach. Won a SB,lost one. 145-94 record. 11-10 in playoffs.
Precisely—I didn’t go into all of the names, but Carroll & Tomlin have same # of wins (what 30 more losses without double checking it).

There are quite a few coaches that are bunched up and not standing out apart. Harbaugh is a few seasons from that 150 win mark too.

That Super Bowl XLV loss is significant on legacies of our guys trying to get in…. Damn if the real Ben Roethlisberger showed up that day and not the guy who seemed uncomfortable in spotlight cuz of what happened that summer

wait? you think you've earned respect?

that might be the funniest comment ever on this site, not posted by me....
Its amazing how can still be scared of how you’ll roast me. But it’s nowhere near like back in the day. I was bigger & stronger than a lot of the 08 Steelers players, yet intimidated by what was coming next from a few sentences next to a Ned Flanders avatar.

Guess I’m too old to just not laugh at the fact you’re going to call me out for being the ******* I am.

Its amazing how can still be scared of how you’ll roast me. But it’s nowhere near like back in the day. I was bigger & stronger than a lot of the 08 Steelers players, yet intimidated by what was coming next from a few sentences next to a Ned Flanders avatar.

Guess I’m too old to just not laugh at the fact you’re going to call me out for being the ******* I am.
takes an ******* to know an *******

He had his mouth wired shut and physically lost a lot of strength to start the season… people commented on it a lot… It was cowhers last season and everyone knew it so he just let things roll… I think Cowher was already checked out mentally and didn’t really care…
I am not disagreeing with Ben’s status at that start of the season, Chin’s MO never featured the QB as the focal point before getting to SB XL, but still had success before Ben. If he knew Ben wasn’t able to perform, then he didn’t put the best player in the position on the field. He could have eased him back after several games. We had Batch, he could run the rush first offense and the defense was still there. So, if Cowher checked out, then he probably cost the franchise another playoff appearance or maybe a conference championship appearance. Of course that’s purely speculative, but he still had the majority of HIS players from the previous year.

It's easy to blame Fichtner. He was an overmatched offensive coordinator. The big problem with Tomlin and the offense is under his leadership the Steelers year after year would abandon the run and allow Ben to throw the ball 50 times a game. Running the ball is part talent and part emphasizing it in practice and the latter is something Tomlin doesn't do. He does a fine job setting a physical tone on defense and focusing them to create splash plays, but he does not do the same for the offense.

****** A millennials. Cower lost to Stan ******* Humphries with the best team in football that year. Both San Diego and JAX had excellent defenses.

You don't play games in a phone booth, or on a console, you play them on a field against another team trying to win.
I guess it depends if Tomlin chooses to call the defense if we make the playoffs. While I am not a Butler fan I pray if we make it to the playoffs Tomlin let's his DC do his job and Tomlin simply does his.

I feel your pain Ron. Losing 4 AFCC games at home with Cowher had me just as frusterated.
Only getting to one AFCCG in the last ten years with Shades and getting torched by the Pats****** when we know what they're going to do has me just as frustrated.
Belicheat: "Hey Mikey, we're gonna throw short and medium passes over the middle all day and there's not a damn thing you can do about it."
Mikey Cool Shades: "Okay."

Only getting to one AFCCG in the last ten years with Shades and getting torched by the Pats****** when we know what they're going to do has me just as frustrated.
Belicheat: "Hey Mikey, we're gonna throw short and medium passes over the middle all day and there's not a damn thing you can do about it."
Mikey Cool Shades: "Okay."
Especially when Shades had said "we're comin' for that ***" the week before during AB's FB Live session.

Obviously.

The guy hasn’t gotten it done the past 10 years with a ton of talent. For as much as Cowher had his faults he would’ve had a couple SB’s with Tomlin’s roster
Then he should have had another with his roster by that logic. I am with Cope on this one. I think some of you have an axe to grind with Tomlin for some reason and also overrate our own roster sometimes. Maybe, just Maybe, with all the talent we had it was made to look better than it was by Tomlin holding together a bunch of disparate personalities and maybe just maybe he was getting more out of them than most would have. Look at how little most of those big talens have accomplished after leaving. Maybe we should be looking at it from the other angle.

I am not saying this is fact but I have a feeling Tomlin actually made some of these dumbasses look better by how he handled them than they really were. but that is just my opinion.

Especially when Shades had said "we're comin' for that ***" the week before during AB's FB Live session.
Like Belicheat needs any extra motivation to kick our ***.

Then he should have had another with his roster by that logic. I am with Cope on this one. I think some of you have an axe to grind with Tomlin for some reason and also overrate our own roster sometimes. Maybe, just Maybe, with all the talent we had it was made to look better than it was by Tomlin holding together a bunch of disparate personalities and maybe just maybe he was getting more out of them than most would have. Look at how little most of those big talens have accomplished after leaving. Maybe we should be looking at it from the other angle.

I am not saying this is fact but I have a feeling Tomlin actually made some of these dumbasses look better by how he handled them than they really were. but that is just my opinion.
I still say we should have done better with the talent we have/had. With the possible exception of Sean Peyton no one has done less with more.
Again, I think Tomlin is a very good coach but not a great coach. It's called the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Very Good. But Cowher is in so with a very similar record Tomlin will probably get in too.

https://c.tenor.com/Nb9FKvWUAQcAAAAC/****-that-steve-buscemi.gif

Playoff record? Tim Tebow.
Lost to the jags, Browns.

The killer b’s era was a missed opportunity

Playoff record? Tim Tebow.
Lost to the jags, Browns.

The killer b’s era was a missed opportunity
Maybe, I choose to think he got the best out of them and did more to hold their egos in check than anyone else has done. Maybe we overachieved with them maybe not. I can only go by my gut and what they accomplished elsewhere. Sure AB got a ring but it was on Brady's back. Bell, Bryant never came close to what they accomplished under Tomlin.

Perhaps Bell, Bryant, Legarret Blount, `AB. Were all created as a result of Tomlins Leadership. Or maybe they were JackAsses who's success is result of Tomlin... Is that the Take?

Like Belicheat needs any extra motivation to kick our ***.

I still say we should have done better with the talent we have/had. With the possible exception of Sean Peyton no one has done less with more.
Again, I think Tomlin is a very good coach but not a great coach. It's called the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Very Good. But Cowher is in so with a very similar record Tomlin will probably get in too.
The San Diego Chargers. After they dumped Shotty, they had the #1 O, #1 D and missed the ******* playoffs. That's achieving the the lowest with elite talent on both sides of the ball.

Also, during the Cowher era: Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer won Superbowls. Neither of them are better than Brister, Korky, or OD. That narrative doesn't hang.

During the Tomlin era, you only have Flacco, who put together the sickest QB run in playoff history and won SB MVP so...

Maybe, I choose to think he got the best out of them and did more to hold their egos in check than anyone else has done. Maybe we overachieved with them maybe not. I can only go by my gut and what they accomplished elsewhere. Sure AB got a ring but it was on Brady's back. Bell, Bryant never came close to what they accomplished under Tomlin.
Perhaps we did overachieve. Maybe we do tend to overrate our teams.
It’s still a bad taste in the mouth with us fans