• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Wilson, the Russ One. Reports Stiffness in Calf

It has been heavily established he runs an undisciplined camp and practices, that much we DO know. But he turns around and allows tackling to the ground, something virtually no other coach in the NFL does, so figure it out.
By “heavily established” are you referring to your many previous claims or some valid sources that are actually attending and watching all these undisciplined practices?

You can Believe the things you don’t Know
To me it’s your belief, not universal knowledge
There is quite a difference

I’m nearly as anti Tomlin as they come at this point of his mediocre career, but I like to base my biases on knowledge rather than beliefs.

That being said, I’m not saying they are or aren’t…I haven’t been to a practice or camp in ages with my current level of fandom. If you have some solid proof of the level of discipline I’d love to hear it, but just calling him undisciplined from your own bias is hardly proof/knowledge. The majority of undisciplined talk I’ve heard in the past is players trying to hold themselves accountable more, not so much directed at Mike. To me if the players show undisciplined on the field that could be many things that manifest that…how the current NFL player is/what drive$ them, their own shortcomings, the overall culture, poor habits in practice, etc

You know I love to blame Mike, but I do also like good sound proof to back it up if at all possible…whatcha got on him?

Last edited:
By “heavily established” are you referring to your many previous claims or some valid sources that are actually attending and watching all these undisciplined practices?

You can Believe the things you don’t Know
To me it’s your belief, not universal knowledge
There is quite a difference

I’m nearly as anti Tomlin as they come at this point of his mediocre career, but I like to base my biases on knowledge rather than beliefs.

That being said, I’m not saying they are or aren’t…I haven’t been to a practice or camp in ages with my current level of fandom. If you have some solid proof of the level of discipline I’d love to hear it, but just calling him undisciplined from your own bias is hardly proof/knowledge. The majority of undisciplined talk I’ve heard in the past is players trying to hold themselves accountable more, not so much directed at Mike. To me if the players show undisciplined on the field that could be many things that manifest that…how the current NFL player is/what drive$ them, their own shortcomings, the overall culture, poor habits in practice, etc

You know I love to blame Mike, but I do also like good sound proof to back it up if at all possible…whatcha got on him?
Yea, when your starting RB and QB both comment on how undisciplined your program is, you got problems. MMM, kkkk?

Yea, when your starting RB and QB both comment on how undisciplined your program is, you got problems. MMM, kkkk?
Russ called Mike undisciplined in his practice habits already? Source??? Cuz that would be bold

Or are ya talking about years ago when BB called the team/players out for needing more discipline after a tough loss? He did not direct that quote at Mike or his practice as the source of lack of discipline but rather aimed that straight at the players. Is Mike supposed to bring the discipline to 53 professional athletes on the field on game day??? That seems just a tad unrealistic for a bunch of grown men that are professionals even for a Tomlin basher like me.

Very similar when Naj referenced a need for more discipline by the players. He said the players need to be more committed and disciplined and made sure to clarify by saying not aiming this at any coaches a couple of times in said quote…and that team had 🇨🇦 on it and he still didn’t throw the shade at the coaches.

If ya do have anything legit, again, would love to hear it but if those are the ones yours referring to it seems like a reach…even for me to buy.

I do thank you Lloyd cuz for some reason you’re endless bashing is making me actually have a more objective eye towards my own biases and dislikes of coach and feel like it will make for a more enjoyable season by dropping my unreasonable biases and sticking to what I know, not what I just believe. Thanks again!

Here we go Steelers

What I have gathered from this conversation:
Russ has pregame stiffness in the calf. Well, Deshaun Watson has pregame stiffness in the groin area. Doesn't seem to bother him!

Tomlin still thinks he is tricky. He's the only one that thinks that.

Post-Gazette reporting Fields is the likely starter.

Russ called Mike undisciplined in his practice habits already? Source??? Cuz that would be bold

Or are ya talking about years ago when BB called the team/players out for needing more discipline after a tough loss? He did not direct that quote at Mike or his practice as the source of lack of discipline but rather aimed that straight at the players. Is Mike supposed to bring the discipline to 53 professional athletes on the field on game day??? That seems just a tad unrealistic for a bunch of grown men that are professionals even for a Tomlin basher like me.

Very similar when Naj referenced a need for more discipline by the players. He said the players need to be more committed and disciplined and made sure to clarify by saying not aiming this at any coaches a couple of times in said quote…and that team had 🇨🇦 on it and he still didn’t throw the shade at the coaches.

If ya do have anything legit, again, would love to hear it but if those are the ones yours referring to it seems like a reach…even for me to buy.

I do thank you Lloyd cuz for some reason you’re endless bashing is making me actually have a more objective eye towards my own biases and dislikes of coach and feel like it will make for a more enjoyable season by dropping my unreasonable biases and sticking to what I know, not what I just believe. Thanks again!

Here we go Steelers

VERY well said, top to bottom. 3lbs commemorative Peyote in flight for air drop, your way.

Salute the nation

So, the head coach is NOT in charge of team discipline? OK, then.

Correct-in some ways or to an extent

Disciplinary actions for conduct detrimental to the team-his job 100%
That the players themselves remain disciplined in their professional efforts-100% the player/professional athlete's job

You simply can't make someone else have discipline
You can give them tools to become more disciplined, but the person must choose to use the tool
From the many practices you've obviously attended in what areas could Mike improve the practice discipline? I know, crazy question but I'm a solutions-oriented person.

In the words of one of the most intelligent people I've ever spoke with, "I know that I'm responsible for everything I do, but I know that I don't have to be responsible for you...cuz it's my life and I can live it anyway" players are indeed responsible for their own actions, especially at the highest level of the profession.

Last edited:
Well, I'll be.
"Condescending idiot watch"

PG doesn't make decisions involving the STEELERS. Dan, of DK sports, said Friday after practice he was standing in the OL locker area and Russ walked by. He said that if he didn't know about the calf strain topic, he would have never guessed anything was wrong with him.

Even if Russell Wilson doesn't start, Justin Fields was brought in for just this situation. Think about this, Fields has had more time with the starters than Wilson, to this point. Fields has played good, better than kenny picket so we would actually be up-grading from last year.

Salute the nation

Here we go Steelers
Players can't throw shade directly at the coaches, even when they want to. If they do they are insane. They need to speak in a way that allows everyone to read between the lines and understand the underlying message without coming out an saying it. That is exactly what Harris and Ben did.
An undisciplined team is a direct product of bad leadership.
Najee is well aware of who's the captain of the ship.

Disciplinary actions for conduct detrimental to the team-his job 100%
That the players themselves remain disciplined in their professional efforts-100% the player/professional athlete's job

You simply can't make someone else have discipline
You can give them tools to become more disciplined, but the person must choose to use the tool
You mean Bill Parcells and Tom Coughlin didn't provide discipline to their teams? Geeze, I had it all wrong.

You mean Bill Parcells and Tom Coughlin didn't provide discipline to their teams? Geeze, I had it all wrong.

In many ways, you have this correct..................................................

Salute the nation

I get a lot of you don’t like Lloyd, but I’ve seen other posters post many of the exact same commentary over the years such as Tomlin undisciplined teams/practices with near universal agreement where the reaction now is completely different. A little odd, but JMO.

Back to the topic, I know Russ had pole position but they gave Fields every opportunity take the job and he didn’t. I doubt he can do anything this week to change that so we just need a solid enough performance to get a win if he does start.

What I gather from his time as a starter is he can give 3 pretty good quarters before falling apart in the 4th. Get a lead early and rely on the ground game and some safe throws to Freieemuth and the backs late and let that defense do its job to protect the lead.

If he can eliminate or at least hugely reduce turnovers, I agree. Lamar is the same. huge offensive weapon but guaranteed to make a few boneheaded turnovers.
I was looking at Fields situational stats from last year.

Attempts 1-10: 70.8% 4 TDs 2 INTs
Attempts 11-20: 59.5% 7 TDs 0 INTs
Attempts 21-30: 56.7% 5 TDs 5 INTs
Attempts 31+: 44.7% 0 TDs 2 INTs

6 of Fields 9 INTs have come in the last 2 minutes of the half as well as 6 when he was playing from behind (4th quarter).

The formula is simple with Fields. Get an early lead and lean on the ground game in the 4th. It's pretty basic, but for whatever reason, Fields seems to press and be a lot more prone to mistakes when playing from behind late.

If he can eliminate or at least hugely reduce turnovers, I agree. Lamar is the same. huge offensive weapon but guaranteed to make a few boneheaded turnovers.
I'll take the good with the bad. I know they are going with Russ. They promised job at signing. However, having watched team in preseason and two real contenders on Thursday night I'd rather swing for fences and see if tgey have a long term answer in Fields. I'm sick of 10-7 or 9-8.

I'll take the good with the bad. I know they are going with Russ. They promised job at signing. However, having watched team in preseason and two real contenders on Thursday night I'd rather swing for fences and see if tgey have a long term answer in Fields. I'm sick of 10-7 or 9-8.
I seen enough of fields to know he's not the answer. I'd play russ and figure a new direction for next year.

I get a lot of you don’t like Lloyd, but I’ve seen other posters post many of the exact same commentary over the years such as Tomlin undisciplined teams/practices with near universal agreement where the reaction now is completely different. A little odd, but JMO.

Back to the topic, I know Russ had pole position but they gave Fields every opportunity take the job and he didn’t. I doubt he can do anything this week to change that so we just need a solid enough performance to get a win if he does start.

What I gather from his time as a starter is he can give 3 pretty good quarters before falling apart in the 4th. Get a lead early and rely on the ground game and some safe throws to Freieemuth and the backs late and let that defense do its job to protect the lead.
I actually enjoy Lloyd and his posting, just tryna figure out where his info is coming from…pure speculation or fact based reasoning

Still awaiting the response of how his practices are so undisciplined

Is everyone out there playing grabass instead of doing individual drills?

Are guys just on their phones checking their social media accounts?

Is it the speed of practice, the organizational ability of position coaches…wth are y’all referring to or are people just parroting crap they heard somewhere?

it just seems like another narrative to pin ALL of the woes of this team on an easy target with no real legitimate reason?

Could he bring more structure? I’d guess so, but again I haven’t seen a practice in years…they looked much like every other NFL practice/camp I’ve been to when I did go years ago (been to a few other teams-Carolina being the most disorganized I’ve seen) Rams and Indy were quite similar in structure provided/discipline

So again to anyone who has been recently

What is making Mike so undisciplined at practice?

Would truly love to know as a verified Tomlin basher.

I was looking at Fields situational stats from last year.

Attempts 1-10: 70.8% 4 TDs 2 INTs
Attempts 11-20: 59.5% 7 TDs 0 INTs
Attempts 21-30: 56.7% 5 TDs 5 INTs
Attempts 31+: 44.7% 0 TDs 2 INTs

6 of Fields 9 INTs have come in the last 2 minutes of the half as well as 6 when he was playing from behind (4th quarter).

The formula is simple with Fields. Get an early lead and lean on the ground game in the 4th. It's pretty basic, but for whatever reason, Fields seems to press and be a lot more prone to mistakes when playing from behind late.
The thing is….we don’t get early leads. We have barely got 100 yards total offense in the first half and rarely score over 7 points. This has been the way for several seasons including Ben’s last. It’s been years like this. Obviously we want this to change,but I’ll have to see it first. How many games over the last 4 years have we barely got a first down in the first quarter. I know you’re basing it on his stats….but saying the formula is simple,get an early lead because he folds in the 4th quarter…..well he is the opposite of any QB I want on this roster if he folds in the 4th. Never forget to add in his fumbling. And running into sacks. We will see if Arthur’s offense makes any difference to his lifetime stats.

I actually enjoy Lloyd and his posting, just tryna figure out where his info is coming from…pure speculation or fact based reasoning

Still awaiting the response of how his practices are so undisciplined

Is everyone out there playing grabass instead of doing individual drills?

Are guys just on their phones checking their social media accounts?

Is it the speed of practice, the organizational ability of position coaches…wth are y’all referring to or are people just parroting crap they heard somewhere?

it just seems like another narrative to pin ALL of the woes of this team on an easy target with no real legitimate reason?

Could he bring more structure? I’d guess so, but again I haven’t seen a practice in years…they looked much like every other NFL practice/camp I’ve been to when I did go years ago (been to a few other teams-Carolina being the most disorganized I’ve seen) Rams and Indy were quite similar in structure provided/discipline

So again to anyone who has been recently

What is making Mike so undisciplined at practice?

Would truly love to know as a verified Tomlin basher.
There have been enough players to talk about practice habits over the years whether it was as a team, individual players, or coaches not getting it done during the week. We've all seen comments from Pickett, Harris, Heyward, Minkah, and Watt that have hinted during the season practices aren't always where they needed to be. This year members of the offense talked about accountability with Smith now at OC indicating something that didn't happen with Canada. There's videos of Pickens going way less than full speed at practice and its reflected in game film.

The thing is….we don’t get early leads. We have barely got 100 yards total offense in the first half and rarely score over 7 points. This has been the way for several seasons including Ben’s last. It’s been years like this. Obviously we want this to change,but I’ll have to see it first. How many games over the last 4 years have we barely got a first down in the first quarter. I know you’re basing it on his stats….but saying the formula is simple,get an early lead because he folds in the 4th quarter…..well he is the opposite of any QB I want on this roster if he folds in the 4th. Never forget to add in his fumbling. And running into sacks. We will see if Arthur’s offense makes any difference to his lifetime stats.
His preseason was lackluster so I don't have high expectations, but the preseason as a whole was a mess with the offense so whatever. Real football starts tomorrow and I really don't want them to try to win the game 13-10 like they did with QBs like Pickett and Duck Hodges.