• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Wilson, the Russ One. Reports Stiffness in Calf

Id play Fields. Get me 100yds with his feet and 150 plus with his arm. Works for Ravens.

Fields is nowhere near the QB Jackson is.

Jackson has his flaws, but the lack of respect he gets (including from many Ravens fans) is unbelievable.

He's been MVP of the league twice. Not many QBs have ever done that.

There have been enough players to talk about practice habits over the years whether it was as a team, individual players, or coaches not getting it done during the week. We've all seen comments from Pickett, Harris, Heyward, Minkah, and Watt that have hinted during the season practices aren't always where they needed to be. This year members of the offense talked about accountability with Smith now at OC indicating something that didn't happen with Canada. There's videos of Pickens going way less than full speed at practice and its reflected in game film.
closest to an answer anyone has offered, thanks

sounds like a Canada thing from what you are describing, which would be hard to argue with considering his level of incompetency-and luckily, he and Pickett (who gives a crap what that crybaby says lol) are both gone

I've heard many of the comments as well (from that group) and they almost always are appropriately aimed at the players by team leaders suggesting they themselves need to be more committed/disciplined, but they rarely are thrown Mike's way by those guys who are that same group that almost always speak glowingly of the shaded one. It's like they know as team leaders that the effort level of the athlete and discipline level of their fellow athlete is that athlete's responsibility or something?!?! who knew

I guess in this age it's just hard for many people to comprehend that they are responsible for their own actions as it is so much easier to blame a third party for one's actions than be a man and accept accountability for them.

Jackson has his flaws, but the lack of respect he gets (including from many Ravens fans) is unbelievable.

I'm not saying he is as good. Im saying play him like Jackson. Jackson has won two MVPs while not being the best QB in the league and being 2-4 in playoff games.

I seen enough of fields to know he's not the answer. I'd play russ and figure a new direction for next year.
This thread has turned into a good discussion.

I'll counter this point though - if Russ plays and then really hurts that calf - we still end up w/ Justin at QB. Why not start #2 and let #3 rest and get better???

For all of us over 50, and some of yinz youngins, it's a fact, injuries after 35 take MUCH LONGER to heal than when your on the other side of 35.

I said it already - we have 17 games to play - Justin has seen a significant amount of time w/ the 1s on offense. He's repertoire w/ Frazier can only get better (I hope). If he's as good as he was in Chicago last year we're already a better team just by stats alone...

I don't think Sask was saying they're 'on the same level' but they share very similar attributes...

I don't think Sask was saying they're 'on the same level' but they share very similar attributes...
Both running type QBs or RBs playing QB whatever people prefer.

I think they can use Fields like Smith used Tanny play action, some crossers, WRs blocking with some QB runs and some read options.

Fields has excellent speed so you use it. Especially lean on it as the game goes. This team is being built to run so it very well could mirror what the rats do.

Unfortunately probably have the same fate when things are on the line.

But they should be able to win some games with Fields until Wilson is healthy.

on the off-chance Fields starts AND looks really good moving the offense (maybe doing something crazy like breaking the 25-point barrier as well) then things get interesting

man I hope things get interesting

I'm not saying he is as good. Im saying play him like Jackson. Jackson has won two MVPs while not being the best QB in the league and being 2-4 in playoff games.

He was arguably the best QB both years he won the award, which is what matters.

Peyton Manning struggled in the playoffs for a long time as well.

Jackson is not the same level of passer that Manning was, but he is a much more consistent one than he's given credit for.

He's basically what Michael Vick was supposed to be had he spent the week preparing for games instead of torturing and killing dogs.

I guess I just take issue with saying "just have Fields do what Jackson does" as if just any black QB can come close to doing what Jackson does on the field. He's special.

I honestly did not see it with Jackson coming out of Louisville, but he has proven me wrong. He's had issues with injuries, but when healthy, all he has done is produce at a high level and win games.

Jackson is not the same level of passer that Manning was, but he is a much more consistent one than he's given credit for.

He's basically what Michael Vick was supposed to be had he spent the week preparing for games instead of torturing and killing dogs.

I guess I just take issue with saying "just have Fields do what Jackson does" as if just any black QB can come close to doing what Jackson does on the field. He's special.

I honestly did not see it with Jackson coming out of Louisville, but he has proven me wrong. He's had issues with injuries, but when healthy, all he has done is produce at a high level and win games.
His last two OCs have implemented a run heavy offensive scheme. That helps Lamar look the way that he does.

I do believe that Coach Smith can do the same damn thing...

His last two OCs have implemented a run heavy offensive scheme. That helps Lamar look the way that he does.

I do believe that Coach Smith can do the same damn thing...

It works for the Ravens because Jackson can make enough throws from the pocket to sustain drives and score points.

A QB actually has to play QB from time to time, and Fields just can't see the field well enough.

It works for the Ravens because Jackson can make enough throws from the pocket to sustain drives and score points.

A QB actually has to play QB from time to time, and Fields just can't see the field well enough.
or...

Justin hasn't had the opportunity to grow in a stable franchise. Again, 3 OCs and multiple HCs in his 3 year tenure - spells "disaster", IMO.

Best case tomorrow if Fields starts is he blows us all away and doesn't give up the starting job the rest of the season. That'd mean he's realizing his potential.

Best case tomorrow if Fields starts is he blows us all away and doesn't give up the starting job the rest of the season. That'd mean he's realizing his potential.
Not sure the game would be a true indicator as he had one of his best games against them previously.

I'll guess healthy enough to play, but not 100% and a risk to aggravate the injury and have it linger.

**** you. Color has zero to do with my statement. Fields runs sub 4.5. He has run for 800 yards in a season. He has a huge arm. Is his comparable Tom Brady or Lamar Jackson. Tell him one and a half reads and use your legs to pass or take what's there. Same as what they did with Pickett. Had he ran 6-8 times a game would have been a very different result.

Last edited:
**** you. Color has zero to do with my statement. Fields runs sub 4.5. He has run for 800 yards in a season. He has a huge arm. Is his comparable Tom Brady or Lamar Jackson. Tell him one and a half reads and use your legs to pass or take what's there. Same as what they did with Pickett. Had he ran 6-8 times a game would have been a very different result.

I was wrong to bring race into it and apologize, but my point still remains.

What you're proposing the Steelers do with Fields will not consistently score points in the NFL.

People mis-judge Jackson's game in that he is able to function well enough from the pocket to complement what he does with his legs and keep defenses honest.

Fields can't do that.

I was wrong to bring race into it and apologize, but my point still remains.

What you're proposing the Steelers do with Fields will not consistently score points in the NFL.

People mis-judge Jackson's game in that he is able to function well enough from the pocket to complement what he does with his legs and keep defenses honest.

Fields can't do that.
We will see soon enough what he can and can’t do. These young QBs aren’t glued to their deficiencies until they are. LJ has had plenty of time to show what he is and isn’t capable of. Fields is still somewhat a mystery….

We will see soon enough what he can and can’t do. These young QBs aren’t glued to their deficiencies until they are. LJ has had plenty of time to show what he is and isn’t capable of. Fields is still somewhat a mystery….

I think we have a pretty good idea about Fields at this point. He's played three seasons in the league.

Based on analysis of him in the preseason, he really hasn't improved on the things he struggled with in Chicago. Beyond the issues seeing the field, ball security remains an issue.

I'd love to see him defy expectations and play great, but I just don't see it.

Reactions: xjx
Start Fields today.

In fact, it might be a blessing in disguise.

Fields legs probably will be needed today with the new young faces on O-Line, new WR's, and Arthur Smiths new offense...

I can see several breakdowns and his escapability will be needed today, early and often.

I think we have a pretty good idea about Fields at this point. He's played three seasons in the league.

Based on analysis of him in the preseason, he really hasn't improved on the things he struggled with in Chicago. Beyond the issues seeing the field, ball security remains an issue.

I'd love to see him defy expectations and play great, but I just don't see it.
1 team 3 seasons doesn’t lock you into everything. Some past QBs have improved turnover ratio, effectiveness within a new scheme, and accuracy.

Sure ball security remains a concern as does his deficiencies. I think he is capable of better play. How much better remains to be seen.