• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

With The Steelers Selecting Kenny Pickett Should The Steelers Deal Mason Rudolph On Day 3?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
After months of mock drafts, speculation and excitement leading up to the 2022 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted University of Pittsburgh officially quarterback, Kenny Pickett. The move has Steelers fans divided. Some wanted the local product and others wished for Liberty’s Malik Willis if a quarterback was the selection. Regardless of which quarterback was selected, it was bound to bring controversy to the Steelers quarterback room.

Steelers Kenny Pickett

Photo: John McGonigal Pittsburgh Post Gazette

Mitch Trubisky agreed to terms to come to Pittsburgh back in March during the NFL’s legal tampering period. Mason Rudolph was drafted by the team back in 2018 and is headed into the final year of his contract. The idea of having three quarterbacks all with a legitimate chance at competing for a starting job will lead to one being significantly unhappy in the end. I would guess to say right now, Rudolph is the odd man out. With that said, there are simply not enough reps to go around when trying to assimilate Trubisky into a new offense and getting Pickett up to speed with an NFL offense.

If Rudolph was inactive each week, as the Steelers typically only have two quarterbacks active, he could potentially request a trade mid season. The front office should strongly consider the idea of making a move this weekend on day three of the draft regarding Rudolph’s future. It would most likely be a popular one in Pittsburgh.

Trade Rudolph For a Sixth Round Pick​

Rudolph’s trade value is not lucrative, but he is an experienced quarterback who learned from Ben Roethlisberger for years, so he could be moved to a backup needy team in the sixth round. The move would save the team $3 million in cap space and allow for drafting another quarterback, yes a second quarterback, in one of the late rounds. The Steelers always head into camp with four quarterbacks so we could expect to sign a cheap option closer to camp too.

Steelers Quarterback Mason Rudolph

Justin Berl / Getty Images

Steelers Need More Draft Picks​

Many draft analysts believe there will be plenty of talent available late in this year’s deep draft class. A team to keep an eye on here might be the Atlanta Falcons if the decide against taking a quarterback on Friday evening. The Falcons have two sixth round picks and might be willing to part with one in order to get a serviceable backup to Marcus Mariota. The Tennessee Titans could also use a solid backup option to Ryan Tannehill if they don’t choose a quarterback on day two. The Titans have a bunch of draft capital including two sixth round selections on Saturday.

The Steelers are entering a new era after Mike Sullivan is entering his second year as quarterbacks coach and David Corley Jr. was added this offseason as assistant quarterbacks coach. Matt Canada is heading into his second year as offensive coordinator after many fans wanted him fired. The offensive coaching staff is rather new and Rudolph would be the most tenured Steeler in the QB room. As the offense revamps and attempts to keep up with the firepower in the AFC, a fresh start is the best way to retune and moving on from Rudolph would be a piece of that.

If Kevin Colbert were to trade Rudolph, it would most certainly suggest that the team has another late round quarterback in mine. This draftee and Pickett would both be under contract for the next four years allowing the team to assess and mold two quarterbacks together. Tom Brady was drafted in the sixth round and as he finishes the last year (or so?) of his career, why not try to replicate his story with another late rounder?

The Rudolph experiment has run its course in Pittsburgh. His fellow Oklahoma State teammate, James Washington left town in free agency and the Steelers should move on from the four-year veteran this Saturday. A quarterback with a career record of 9-7-1 with starting experience could be subject to potentially pulling a sixth round pick this weekend.

Would you be okay with the Steelers moving on from Rudolph? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Interesting 💡. With Haskins passing (RIP) that would leave them with no experience at the position behind Mitch.

He is Landry Jones the 2nd...
no one is going to give up diddly squat for him.
We'd be lucky if we got a bag of slightly deflated balls from NE for him.

Yes but I don't think he has any value. I think we should start Pickett day one and determine if he has what it takes. It's not like we were going to be good with either of the other two backups we are pretending are starters.

See ya Mason! We no longer need you and your expensive cap salary #.

By 2022 early this summer, you and your nearly 4 million dollar salary are gone! You'll be cut, ( or traded for a draft pick, a guy can dream ), and the Steelers will save 3 million on the cap.

Turbisky, by 2023 you too are cut, and we save 8 million on the cap.

With a rookie contact, we can load up elsewhere on QB as a veteran starting QB costs about 20-25 million. We would save 11 million for Mason and Turbisky cutting them. In the meantime, other teams are allocating 25 million so for their QB's. Us? About 4 million a year on the cap. The Free agency raid starts next season. I Can't wait! In the meantime, we figure out if Pickett can play, or we will be picking another QB high in 2024-5 season. This is the way. I hope our new GM understands it.

Go Steelers.

Last edited:
Keep him for another year and then let him loose. We need three QBs on the roster this year. I don't know who would want him, in all honesty.

Keep him for another year and then let him loose. We need three QBs on the roster this year. I don't know who would want him, in all honesty.

This seems like the most realistic, practical scenario. They aren't going to keep just 2 QBs on the roster, especially ones that haven't taken a single snap for the Steelers yet.

See ya Mason! We no longer need you and your expensive cap salary #.

By 2022 early this summer, you and your nearly 4 million dollar salary are gone! You'll be cut, ( or traded for a draft pick, a guy can dream ), and the Steelers will save 3 million on the cap.

Turbisky, by 2023 you too are cut, and we save 8 million on the cap.

With a rookie contact, we can load up elsewhere on QB as a veteran starting QB costs about 20-25 million. We would save 11 million for Mason and Turbisky cutting them. In the meantime, other teams are allocating 25 million so for their QB's. Us? About 4 million a year on the cap. The Free agency raid starts next season. I Can't wait! In the meantime, we figure out if Pickett can play, or we will be picking another QB high in 2024-5 season. This is the way. I hope our new GM understands it.

Go Steelers.
Ok with keeping Rudy as a backup now. I have seen the light.

I'm LMAO reading this thread...

YOU and I both Berm, the season hasn't even started, and we don't know how good any of the three are (Rudy on limited basis).

I say let time play out a little get them into camp and let their production speak for itself.

I think Kenny & Mitch will be a bigger battle than many here think. Yu don't just give someone the nod without them earning it.

Salute the nation

I'm not sold on Pickett being a starter anytime soon so I figured Mitch would be the starter unless he is seriously beaten out. Rudy is a serviceable backup so I wouldn't let him go on the cheap unless they pick up another veteran.