• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

You can see why Steelers are where they are

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Predictably a large portion is saying Fields has won the job based upon 18 points ( all field goals three from downtown) and 13 points including one long one. And let's be clear I'm not down on Fields. I don't think some of the offensive struggles fall at his feet and I think he has done some really awesome things. But c'mon. So seeking out wins against teams who most likely will not be in playoffs is the standard. The same standard that got the HC an undeserved extention. Its exactly like the Tyreek Hill thing. Some people are seeing something a hell of a lot different then me. In this case I really don't see the point. The other option isn't Kenny Pickett if you get my drift.

How yards does Wilson have?

So Fields is better than Wilson because Fields has thrown for an eye popping 273 yards in 2 games because Wilson has not played a snap because of an injury...yeah, that makes total sense. Kordell 2.0

I’m not sure OldeRuss will be ready by mid season at this point. Hard for any of us to say in regards to the state of his health. What I have seen is baby steps improvement of a guy that has a chance to be the future in a more stable situation than he left.

Just because the offense as a whole has looked disjointed, to say the least, doesn’t necessarily fall at the feet of Fields. We’ve seen many QBs struggle to light up a scoreboard in the Tomlin offense. That is the constant at play.

Not sure taking out a guy who is overcoming things around him en route to 2-0 (riding the D-the Tomlin way) solves much in terms of offensive production if the it’s still the Tomlin offense-which it will be.

I’ve seen more than just Fields take the heat for running the Tomlin offense and have little faith that an unhealthy, aging QB who hasn’t played a meaningful snap in about 10 months is any sort of miracle potion to fix things.

As long as Fields continues to improve and keeps winning I’d think the chances of Russ hitting the field are low. Doubt Mike is pulling him to comfort fans that are displeased with winning ugly games…just doesn’t seem like his track record. Ugly wins are the only wins Mike usually gets in the post Ben era.

I realistically only saw a few plays where Fields was the problem yesterday. Penalties and blocking are not his responsibility but as usual QBs get too much blame and too much credit.

There are bigger issues at play imho.

I’m not sure OldeRuss will be ready by mid season at this point. Hard for any of us to say in regards to the state of his health. What I have seen is baby steps improvement of a guy that has a chance to be the future in a more stable situation than he left.

Just because the offense as a whole has looked disjointed, to say the least, doesn’t necessarily fall at the feet of Fields. We’ve seen many QBs struggle to light up a scoreboard in the Tomlin offense. That is the constant at play.

Not sure taking out a guy who is overcoming things around him en route to 2-0 (riding the D-the Tomlin way) solves much in terms of offensive production if the it’s still the Tomlin offense-which it will be.

I’ve seen more than just Fields take the heat for running the Tomlin offense and have little faith that an unhealthy, aging QB who hasn’t played a meaningful snap in about 10 months is any sort of miracle potion to fix things.

As long as Fields continues to improve and keeps winning I’d think the chances of Russ hitting the field are low. Doubt Mike is pulling him to comfort fans that are displeased with winning ugly games…just doesn’t seem like his track record. Ugly wins are the only wins Mike usually gets in the post Ben era.

I realistically only saw a few plays where Fields was the problem yesterday. Penalties and blocking are not his responsibility but as usual QBs get too much blame and too much credit.

I think the chances of Russ not starting when healthy are zero. Fields needs to sit and watch. Yes he has shown improvement in not turning over the ball but he has still shown exactly what he has struggled with his whole career and that is running the basic passing offense in the short game and quick throws. He has no touch on his short throws when he even makes the read fast enough to throw them. He is standing in the pocket way past the 2.5 seconds he should be throwing the ball in for short timing routes. He is still waiting for the guy to be open most of the time on the short an intermediate routes and not throwing them open. The TD to Mt. Washington was a good throw. he needs more like that to ready to be the full time starter. I also want to see more confident command of the huddle and team.

Justin Herbert has 1 more passing yard than Fields does...
Year
Year
Team
Team
CMP%
Completions percentage​
YDS
Passing yards​
TD
Passing touchdowns​
INT
Interceptions thrown​
Rating
Passer rating​
Chargers
67.4​
274​
3​
1​
95.7​
Chargers
65.1​
3,134​
20​
7​
93.2​
Chargers
68.2​
4,739​
25​
10​
93.2​
Chargers
65.9​
5,014​
38​
15​
97.7​
Chargers
66.6​
4,336​
31​
10​
98.3​
Career
Career
66.6​
17,497​
117​
43​
95.7​

Career stats

I'd say his body of work compared to Fields kind of speaks for itself though.

I just can't agree here. He should know a lot by walking up to the line and looking at the defense. That is why defenses try to adust / shift - to confuse the QB. He doesn't. He should be able to audible a short route, a different play, the decision on an RPO, a blocking scheme adjustment, etc. He doesn't or can't. He can't throw his receivers open, he rarely hits a receiver in stride, and he depends on the matrix skills of Pickens to catch the passes that are near him, he can't see the defense make his #2 receiver a better option, he panics too quickly, not using the levels of the pocket and takes sacks, he doesn't throw the ball away when sacks are coming, he has no touch on his passes, he is not good under center. He is just not a good nfl QB. He is 10x the athlete of Wilson, but Wilson is a guy who gets most of the stuff I listed.

Not sure I understand this "Tomlin" offense thing. He didn't do those things when he had Ben under center. His Qbs since largely have been Mitch Trubisky and Kenny Pickett. He opened up some with Mason Rudolph. Now he has Justin Fields, who as we know as struggled in his NFL career and learning a new offense. What would you do, especially with a pretty good defense? Open it up, turn the ball over and lose ballgames, just for the sake of opening it up? He is playing it smart as frustrating as it looks.

To me though, why he is in this situation is a more important argument. He seems to have F'ed up the QB situation, for sure.

Keep this **** up and I'm going to run out of airplane - Av-gas, for the Peyote air drops.

Fields is definitely making progress, look at the first 1/2 and then look at the second 1/2 less the drive stopping penalties..................

Najee Harris said the drive stoppers helped render him in-effective. They could load up and make his sledding much harder. Had the penalties not happened, his JOB would have been so much easier, similar to what was happening in the 1st 1/2.

We had passing over the middle, passing down field for big gains, rushing making headway, all until they started getting behind the chains that was caused by penalties.

Tomlin is conservative, but also the penalties instilled by the nfl, had as much effect on the outcome. Had the nfl not stepped in, this game would have been over by 3rd qtr.

Salute the nation

Not sure I understand this "Tomlin" offense thing. He didn't do those things when he had Ben under center. His Qbs since largely have been Mitch Trubisky and Kenny Pickett. He opened up some with Mason Rudolph. Now he has Justin Fields, who as we know as struggled in his NFL career and learning a new offense. What would you do, especially with a pretty good defense? Open it up, turn the ball over and lose ballgames, just for the sake of opening it up? He is playing it smart as frustrating as it looks.

To me though, why he is in this situation is a more important argument. He seems to have F'ed up the QB situation, for sure.

In 2018 we ran a wide open O
In 2019 Ben was hurt and fans blamed the new O where we didnt throw over the middle and basically did short, safe passes with the occasional deep shot down the sidelines, on Mason Rudolph... then later Duck Hodges...

Ben came back for two seasons and the super safe, short stuff stayed and people said it was cause Bens arm was shot and Fitchner needed replaced

Then it was Mitch Trabisky Sucked, Then Pickett sucked and Canada needed replaced
Now its that they dont fully trust Fields yet..

I mean its been 5 years, 6 qbs, 2OCs and tge only time it hasnt looked like this was at the end of last year when they were desperate to make the playoffs and took the shackles off the QB after Canada was fired...

In 2018 we ran a wide open O
In 2019 Ben was hurt and fans blamed the new O where we didnt throw over the middle and basically did short, safe passes with the occasional deep shot down the sidelines, on Mason Rudolph... then later Duck Hodges...

Ben came back for two seasons and the super safe, short stuff stayed and people said it was cause Bens arm was shot and Fitchner needed replaced

Then it was Mitch Trabisky Sucked, Then Pickett sucked and Canada needed replaced
Now its that they dont fully trust Fields yet..

I mean its been 5 years, 6 qbs, 2OCs and tge only time it hasnt looked like this was at the end of last year when they were desperate to make the playoffs and took the shackles off the QB after Canada was fired...
So you're saying Tomlin will take the shackles off when he has to...

The same as Bart Starr. See, in the nfl you have to play to get yards.

Wilson is a better qb than Fields. Not a better athlete, but a better nfl qb.
I sure hope so Dj. Hopefully he’s not just riding his past achievements. He really has not done much the last 3 years. My biggest concern is he looks lousy and we have this QB merry go round for the rest of the season. I have bad visions already. I really wish we would have gotten a proven #2 WR at the start of FA.