• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

You can see why Steelers are where they are

I think the chances of Russ not starting when healthy are zero. Fields needs to sit and watch. Yes he has shown improvement in not turning over the ball but he has still shown exactly what he has struggled with his whole career and that is running the basic passing offense in the short game and quick throws. He has no touch on his short throws when he even makes the read fast enough to throw them. He is standing in the pocket way past the 2.5 seconds he should be throwing the ball in for short timing routes. He is still waiting for the guy to be open most of the time on the short an intermediate routes and not throwing them open. The TD to Mt. Washington was a good throw. he needs more like that to ready to be the full time starter. I also want to see more confident command of the huddle and team.
we’ll agree to disagree…he can’t run every play that guys aren’t open (which is a vast majority right now) and they certainly aren’t getting open quickly
Just predicting what Coach T will do

I honestly have no clue what the best play is cuz I have zero clue if OldeRuss is worth a squat at this stage, I have seen that Fields gives us a chance at winning so far.

I know I wouldn’t pull Fields til he gets an L tho

The Chargers may oblige those that wish him to fail and get his first L…maybe, if they can get past the best D in the league

Here’s to going 3-0!!!

In 2018 we ran a wide open O
In 2019 Ben was hurt and fans blamed the new O where we didnt throw over the middle and basically did short, safe passes with the occasional deep shot down the sidelines, on Mason Rudolph... then later Duck Hodges...

Ben came back for two seasons and the super safe, short stuff stayed and people said it was cause Bens arm was shot and Fitchner needed replaced

Then it was Mitch Trabisky Sucked, Then Pickett sucked and Canada needed replaced
Now its that they dont fully trust Fields yet..

I mean its been 5 years, 6 qbs, 2OCs and tge only time it hasnt looked like this was at the end of last year when they were desperate to make the playoffs and took the shackles off the QB after Canada was fired...
Those are good points. I'm not letting Tomlin off the hook with this. I don't think you take a lot of chances with the offensive talent he has had the last number of years. It is his fault, though, that the talent isn't there or partly his fault it isn't producing.

Not sure I understand this "Tomlin" offense thing. He didn't do those things when he had Ben under center. His Qbs since largely have been Mitch Trubisky and Kenny Pickett. He opened up some with Mason Rudolph. Now he has Justin Fields, who as we know as struggled in his NFL career and learning a new offense. What would you do, especially with a pretty good defense? Open it up, turn the ball over and lose ballgames, just for the sake of opening it up? He is playing it smart as frustrating as it looks.

To me though, why he is in this situation is a more important argument. He seems to have F'ed up the QB situation, for sure.
Ben was a different story
The offense was him shaking dudes off like fleas and being superman…doing things his way
Calling his own plays, using audibles, being a HOFer

Mike let him do it cuz he was dragging Mike to victories and he had no other options…sure wasn’t gonna bench Ben

That mighta been the only Mike coulda lost his lifetime appointment to the job.

We’ll see how it plays out

I love defensive football and hate ****** refs so 1 outta 2 this season 🤣

I just can't agree here. He should know a lot by walking up to the line and looking at the defense. That is why defenses try to adust / shift - to confuse the QB. He doesn't. He should be able to audible a short route, a different play, the decision on an RPO, a blocking scheme adjustment, etc. He doesn't or can't. He can't throw his receivers open, he rarely hits a receiver in stride, and he depends on the matrix skills of Pickens to catch the passes that are near him, he can't see the defense make his #2 receiver a better option, he panics too quickly, not using the levels of the pocket and takes sacks, he doesn't throw the ball away when sacks are coming, he has no touch on his passes, he is not good under center. He is just not a good nfl QB. He is 10x the athlete of Wilson, but Wilson is a guy who gets most of the stuff I listed.
Agree he should be allowed to audible…Are we sure he’s allowed to audible?
Thought that got ripped from the playbook

Sure was dropping in some accurate passes in week 2

Wilson used to do those things, 4-5 years ago
Not sure that’s still the case
Not sure he can even heal at his advanced age

The run game has been statistically worse across the board with the RB's as well
Warren hasn’t looked right yet coming off the injury and Najee will never be a high ypc guy

And the young, non stop shuffling OL isn’t close to working as a singular unit yet

Holy shiit, he's only 36. I guess I have no hope.

2-0 and both road wins getting ready for a home game against a good team is the exact opposite of where we were in mid January. Who cares if Fields isn't long term starter if they keep winning? Let Wilson heal up and if it's ligaments/sprain it takes a long time. Low grade.sorainnis a few weeks. A ligament rear will have him out all year due to unstable joint.

All I know is 5 of the next 8 are at home with that 8th game hosting Baltimore and potentially wrecking this season. We are competitive against all these teams and if a healthy Wilson can come back and take things up a level on O, we will officially be back. 8-2 after 10 weeks would look amazing.

Man I wish I healed like I did at 36 😂
That’s football old tho
So far two weeks on a tear. Starting to finally feel like it is healing. At one time it probably would have been a few days at most..

I would love to be wrong here. Honestly. Still, I just can't believe in the guy. If I am wrong, please come mock me. I would love to be wrong.

all these same pundits were spouting the same bullshit during camp, when wilson was tagged as pole position for starting. Down with russel wilson,,, up with the guy who never won anything yet.

all these same pundits were spouting the same bullshit during camp, when wilson was tagged as pole position for starting. Down with russel wilson,,, up with the guy who never won anything yet.
Yet!
I kinda lost you about the spouting thing. What they were spouting about in the video was Fields play over the last two games. How could they have spouted that during training camp?

Fields has played fine. Doing pretty much everything asked of him to not lose the game. The criticisms should be exclusively directed towards the offensive line and the coaching staff.
Which was the exact same reality Pickett faced. Just that Fields does throw a better deep ball and is a much slicker runner.

Predictably a large portion is saying Fields has won the job based upon 18 points ( all field goals three from downtown) and 13 points including one long one. And let's be clear I'm not down on Fields. I don't think some of the offensive struggles fall at his feet and I think he has done some really awesome things. But c'mon. So seeking out wins against teams who most likely will not be in playoffs is the standard. The same standard that got the HC an undeserved extention. Its exactly like the Tyreek Hill thing. Some people are seeing something a hell of a lot different then me. In this case I really don't see the point. The other option isn't Kenny Pickett if you get my drift.
There’s two trains of thoughts here. Either ride Fields out this season and see if there’s enough there to resign. Or After Russ is healthy give him the reigns and let him cook. Maybe there’s enough left in his tank to give the offense enough that we can ride this defense into the playoffs.

I’m fine with either as this defense looks good… like 2008 good if not better.

I just can't agree here. He should know a lot by walking up to the line and looking at the defense. That is why defenses try to adust / shift - to confuse the QB. He doesn't. He should be able to audible a short route, a different play, the decision on an RPO, a blocking scheme adjustment, etc. He doesn't or can't.
Tomlin is infamous for not liking or even allowing audibles. You should know that.
He can't throw his receivers open
Fields threw Washington open just fine on that TD.
he rarely hits a receiver in stride, and he depends on the matrix skills of Pickens to catch the passes that are near him
Not sure what you're watching. He hit Pickens in stride on several beautiful throws in the first two games. Unfortunately, some of those haven't counted because of penalties.
he can't see the defense make his #2 receiver a better option
The Steelers haven't provided a legitimate #2 receiver for Fields. Not his fault, that's on the front office.
he panics too quickly, not using the levels of the pocket and takes sacks, he doesn't throw the ball away when sacks are coming,
He's been sacked 4 times in 2 games. The NFL average is 2.6 sacks per team per game. He's avoided just as many or more with his running ability.
he has no touch on his passes, he is not good under center
Fields does typically throw his passes more on a line, and he needs work under center. I'll give you that.
He is just not a good nfl QB. He is 10x the athlete of Wilson, but Wilson is a guy who gets most of the stuff I listed.
It's still to be determined if he can be a good NFL quarterback, and there's only one way to find out.

2-0 and both road wins getting ready for a home game against a good team is the exact opposite of where we were in mid January. Who cares if Fields isn't long term starter if they keep winning? Let Wilson heal up and if it's ligaments/sprain it takes a long time. Low grade.sorainnis a few weeks. A ligament rear will have him out all year due to unstable joint.

All I know is 5 of the next 8 are at home with that 8th game hosting Baltimore and potentially wrecking this season. We are competitive against all these teams and if a healthy Wilson can come back and take things up a level on O, we will officially be back. 8-2 after 10 weeks would look amazing.
Does winning the way we've been winning the past few years accomplish anything? IMO, all it's going to do is get the 6 or 7 seed in the playoffs and a first-round pounding at the expense of a good team in the AFC. Tomlin has this team stuck in neutral because we don't have a QB and this style of football doesn't cut it in the playoffs. At some point they need to shift philosophy and try to play like an upper-echelon team in the AFC. If they can do this, this team has a chance to make a run. If they can't, you stink and get a good draft pick that may result in a talented QB or playmaker. More of the same in the regular season is just going to extend this playoff drought even longer and result in a middle of the first pick.

So you're saying Tomlin will take the shackles off when he has to...
Whatever it takes to keep that non-losing season streak alive. Even firing a coach mid-season for the first time since 1946.

As long as Fields continues to improve and keeps winning I’d think the chances of Russ hitting the field are low. Doubt Mike is pulling him to comfort fans that are displeased with winning ugly games…just doesn’t seem like his track record. Ugly wins are the only wins Mike usually gets in the post Ben era.
That is so true, seriously, does Shades have a single style points win since Ben retired?

Does winning the way we've been winning the past few years accomplish anything? IMO, all it's going to do is get the 6 or 7 seed in the playoffs and a first-round pounding at the expense of a good team in the AFC. Tomlin has this team stuck in neutral because we don't have a QB and this style of football doesn't cut it in the playoffs. At some point they need to shift philosophy and try to play like an upper-echelon team in the AFC. If they can do this, this team has a chance to make a run. If they can't, you stink and get a good draft pick that may result in a talented QB or playmaker. More of the same in the regular season is just going to extend this playoff drought even longer and result in a middle of the first pick.
you mean do both.. Control the clock, play great defense, run the ball and make the throws that are there ,,, ? yes?

Wilson can make the throws. This team is 95 steelers with neil odonnell, if wilson plays.. Fields is not the answer. He is kordell without the passing.. He can run it, yes.. but he cant carry and make the throws when we need it.. So far this has been regurgitation of the last 3 yrs. We need a guy who can make the throws and read a defense.. Fields isnt it.