• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

You can see why Steelers are where they are

Tomlin is infamous for not liking or even allowing audibles. You should know that.

Fields threw Washington open just fine on that TD.

Not sure what you're watching. He hit Pickens in stride on several beautiful throws in the first two games. Unfortunately, some of those haven't counted because of penalties.

The Steelers haven't provided a legitimate #2 receiver for Fields. Not his fault, that's on the front office.

He's been sacked 4 times in 2 games. The NFL average is 2.6 sacks per team per game. He's avoided just as many or more with his running ability.

Fields does typically throw his passes more on a line, and he needs work under center. I'll give you that.

It's still to be determined if he can be a good NFL quarterback, and there's only one way to find out.
win or keep giving the guy in his 4th year more game time to see if he gets it.?

Also notable was that Smith said they veered away from the middle in the Falcon game in part due to Bates. Who not so coincidentally sealed the win for the Falcons last night.

So perhaps Smith knew what he was talking about even if the fans wasn’t overly fond of the game plan.

I know you can’t always play conservatively but sometimes it can help preserve victory as turnovers can be game sealers and momentum killers…

I would love to be wrong here. Honestly. Still, I just can't believe in the guy. If I am wrong, please come mock me. I would love to be wrong.
Won’t mock ya bro, not my style…maybe offer ya a plate of crow with a side of bacon to wash it down 🤣
Mocking is saved for those that spew and you exchange ideas (the reason for this board)

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not sold on Fields and was not in favor of trading for him. He’s one of our guys now so I simply recognize the slight progress from week to week and hope it continues as that would benefit all the true fans that enjoy Steeler successes. I’ll do the same for Russ should he get the starting nod at some point.

I watch or listen every week hoping for the best and realize there will be setbacks, this team isn’t going 20-0 no matter how much I’d love to see it.

Thanks for offering a different viewpoint

all these same pundits were spouting the same bullshit during camp, when wilson was tagged as pole position for starting. Down with russel wilson,,, up with the guy who never won anything yet.
Never heard much of that about Russ in preseason by anyone, just doom and gloom from all the “experts” about the Steelers.
Based off the back of his 1 decent drive??

So your assertion that this is BS is that those weren’t accurate throws? C’mon
Does winning the way we've been winning the past few years accomplish anything? IMO, all it's going to do is get the 6 or 7 seed in the playoffs and a first-round pounding at the expense of a good team in the AFC. Tomlin has this team stuck in neutral because we don't have a QB and this style of football doesn't cut it in the playoffs. At some point they need to shift philosophy and try to play like an upper-echelon team in the AFC. If they can do this, this team has a chance to make a run. If they can't, you stink and get a good draft pick that may result in a talented QB or playmaker. More of the same in the regular season is just going to extend this playoff drought even longer and result in a middle of the first pick.
Agree that at some point if they want to taste playoff success they will have to raise the bar. We are on a slow climb right now. Peaking in week 1-2 is not the play. Ya just want to be playing your best football come playoff time. We appeared to be ascending last year until someone slammed on the brakes in the WC round. That someone is still leading the squad.

We traded up for Bush
How come that top 10 pick didn’t vault them to greatness?
Imo you’re over valuing where a team picks in the draft.
The Chiefs pick late, later than us every year lately.

Ain’t slowing them down a bit.
Where we draft isn’t what is holding this team back imo

Last edited:
Does winning the way we've been winning the past few years accomplish anything? IMO, all it's going to do is get the 6 or 7 seed in the playoffs and a first-round pounding at the expense of a good team in the AFC. Tomlin has this team stuck in neutral because we don't have a QB and this style of football doesn't cut it in the playoffs. At some point they need to shift philosophy and try to play like an upper-echelon team in the AFC. If they can do this, this team has a chance to make a run. If they can't, you stink and get a good draft pick that may result in a talented QB or playmaker. More of the same in the regular season is just going to extend this playoff drought even longer and result in a middle of the first pick.
Bingo.
"To beat the other team you have to score more points than you allow them to score." -- The great football philosopher John Madden
We used to call Cowher Marty Jr. but it looks like Shades is the real Marty Jr.
And Marty is the only eligible HC with over 200 wins who is not in the HOF because of his lack of playoff success.
Just like Chin and Shades could never get past Belicheat and Brady, Shades will never get past Reid and Mahomes.

Tomlin needs to get out of Smith's way and stop living in their fears of throwing in the middle of the field. I can't think of another team that purposely avoids throwing there game in and game out, year in and year out. Let Fields throw it. I don't recall a single crossing pattern yet this year ( I could have missed it). Those are easy throws and with YAC can help open things up.

Williamson keeps talking about the altitude factor for the visiting teams in Sept. He says it's a big deal early in the year. Maybe part of what was the 2nd half has something to do with that?

Won’t mock ya bro, not my style…maybe offer ya a plate of crow with a side of bacon to wash it down 🤣
Mocking is saved for those that spew and you exchange ideas (the reason for this board)

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not sold on Fields and was not in favor of trading for him. He’s one of our guys now so I simply recognize the slight progress from week to week and hope it continues as that would benefit all the true fans that enjoy Steeler successes. I’ll do the same for Russ should he get the starting nod at some point.

I watch or listen every week hoping for the best and realize there will be setbacks, this team isn’t going 20-0 no matter how much I’d love to see it.

Thanks for offering a different viewpoint
Classy, my brother. I am the same. I just try to be realistic. I have been right. I have been wrong. I'm good with either. He seems like a decent guy, and a stud-mother of an athlete. He wears the B&G, so he's one of my favorites.

When 273 total passing yards in 2 games wins you an NFL starting QB job, your team is in a world of hurt.
i'm with ya, but i wanna give smith and fields the benefit of the doubt because we won't see what they can do until they are playing from behind. tomlin sits on a 1 score lead like we're up by 3 scores.

you mean do both.. Control the clock, play great defense, run the ball and make the throws that are there ,,, ? yes?

Wilson can make the throws. This team is 95 steelers with neil odonnell, if wilson plays.. Fields is not the answer. He is kordell without the passing.. He can run it, yes.. but he cant carry and make the throws when we need it.. So far this has been regurgitation of the last 3 yrs. We need a guy who can make the throws and read a defense.. Fields isnt it.
Seems to be growing sentiment and momentum that if Fields goes 3-0 that Shades would continue to ride him and thereby continue the relentless pursuit of winning as first team to 18.

I already feel a this time slightly more friendly hostage situation brewing.

This team needs Mike Munchak back.
I think Pat Meyer is doing fine. He is working in sync with Art Smith. I think the overlying problem is Tomlin. The throttling of the offense and decision on offensive line personnel reek of Tomlin and is micromanaging. He needs to let his coaches coach.

I think Pat Meyer is doing fine. He is working in sync with Art Smith. I think the overlying problem is Tomlin. The throttling of the offense and decision on offensive line personnel reek of Tomlin and is micromanaging. He needs to let his coaches coach.
Seems evident now. They've turned everything over and Tomlin still religiously wants to win 18-13.

Ben needs to shut his pie hole..
That guy waffles more than … well you know who..

Sorry steel Dino, I think BEN has a hellA lot more knowledge than most on the QB position. He isn’t wrong and Fields’ play backs that up. Roethlisberger even says he would be thinking differently if Fields wasn’t winning. Ben also states that Fields is doing exactly what this team needs.

The article has some good information and says Justin is playing as good as he ever has, even the stats are in that favor. Good read, recommend it.

Salute the nation

There’s two trains of thoughts here. Either ride Fields out this season and see if there’s enough there to resign. Or After Russ is healthy give him the reigns and let him cook. Maybe there’s enough left in his tank to give the offense enough that we can ride this defense into the playoffs.

I’m fine with either as this defense looks good… like 2008 good if not better.
The defense has looked good enough to carry the team against a 7-10 falcons team with an old hobbled journeyman at QB and a rookie QB on the Bears that has looked as bad as any QB in the league.
Defense doesn't win championships anymore in the NFL.

What's the point of making the playoffs if you can't score points?

I say let Fields play until Wilson is healthy and rest Warren until he is 100%. Get Jones as far away from right tackle as possible.
People are finally waking up and seeing the gaping hole at WR 2 and 3. Pickens looks better than advertised but he can't do everything? Fields could have really used a guy like Dj, who is always open short that catches the ball half the time vs what he has.

New Tomlinism…”I can’t give you all the ingredients in a hot dog 🌭…you might not like it.”
I think it has onions and and relish with some spicy mustard. Just one will leave you hungry for more.

😀

Sorry steel Dino, I think BEN has a hellA lot more knowledge than most on the QB position. He isn’t wrong and Fields’ play backs that up. Roethlisberger even says he would be thinking differently if Fields wasn’t winning. Ben also states that Fields is doing exactly what this team needs.

The article has some good information and says Justin is playing as good as he ever has, even the stats are in that favor. Good read, recommend it.

Salute the nation
Maybe even more knowledge than those posting here! Lol

Salute the nation
No apologies needed …
I appreciate our ex QBs thoughts and opinions obviously..

To be clear Stewey..I am not saying he is wrong and I know more than Ben about QB play ..

My opinion is the guy seems to say stuff… just to be heard or be relevant ..and he has done more waffling on alot of his opinions than Waffle House on a busy Saturday night!

Are fans afraid to be optimistic? Forget about the bottom feeder team from the past few years. FO upgraded this team the past 8 months and it's working well so far.

There is no franchise QB on the immediate horizon but there is a winning football team able to compete with anyone. Field will continue improving and Wilson may be the answer for a year or two if necessary.

I'm having fun & I expect a win against harbaugh and Herbert

Tomlin needs to get out of Smith's way and stop living in their fears of throwing in the middle of the field. I can't think of another team that purposely avoids throwing there game in and game out, year in and year out. Let Fields throw it. I don't recall a single crossing pattern yet this year ( I could have missed it). Those are easy throws and with YAC can help open things up.
Depends how good your QB and receivers are. Last few years here, not so good in that regard.
Shades plays conservative offense partly because it’s his nature but also partly because he has to.