• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017-2018 Pittsburgh Penguins

A failed project. Glad we got out early and with minimal scaring. I'm not a Jarry fan and DeSmith is a journeyman. I don't think there is much at the Wheeling level. Gustavasson ? Young unproven ? Looking forward to seeing this move.

A failed project. Glad we got out early and with minimal scaring. I'm not a Jarry fan and DeSmith is a journeyman. I don't think there is much at the Wheeling level. Gustavasson ? Young unproven ? Looking forward to seeing this move.

Jarry needs a lot more time and confidence in WBS.
He'll be Murray's backup in a couple seasons. My opinion.

Shame that Niemi didn't work out as intended.
I thought he'd hold up better than he showed.

I don't think anyone from Wheeling would be ready.
The only one I can see in Wheeling making an impact on the Pens is maybe Wydo.

The goalies? Nooo

Jarry needs a lot more time and confidence in WBS.
He'll be Murray's backup in a couple seasons. My opinion.

Shame that Niemi didn't work out as intended.
I thought he'd hold up better than he showed.

I don't think anyone from Wheeling would be ready.
The only one I can see in Wheeling making an impact on the Pens is maybe Wydo.

The goalies? Nooo

Reading a couple hockey forums and most say it's time to give DeSmith a shot. Over the long haul he has been consistent but never stellar. If he can't make it now, he never will. This buys Jarry more seasoning. We sure have lived the good life the past couple of seasons..

Have hit "snooze" on this team until sometime in late November.

Wake me then

Have hit "snooze" on this team until sometime in late November.

Wake me then

Definitely too early to panic etc.

Would like to see closer losses.
Giving up touchdowns in hockey is scary

OT winner by Kessel.
Liked the rush by Malkin to set it up.

Dammit, I missed the game tonight. I was helping 2 other pens fans install a stereo in our buddie's jeep. Can't believe we missed it. His dog's name is Fleury!!

Reactions: MTC
Nice win. Ahh giving up 1 goal. That's more like it. I saw Geno had been quiet on shots,but saved his helper until it mattered most. The team still has the magic,they just need a backup goalie.

McDavid is fast as Hell. He is fun to watch. Would love to see those two teams meet in the SCF. Would be a great series. I got home for the end of the 2nd period. MM was standing on his head, from what I've heard and the Oil can't buy goals. Those two points were huge. Needed them. Sheanen got on the scoring sheet, very nice to see.

That was some great hockey vs. the Oilers., Hard hitting and still a fast pace. I was almost disappointed that the 3 on 3 didn't last longer. Now we get to see what DeSmith has. Fingers crossed !

That was some great hockey vs. the Oilers., Hard hitting and still a fast pace. I was almost disappointed that the 3 on 3 didn't last longer. Now we get to see what DeSmith has. Fingers crossed !

Hopefully a better showing than Niemi.
Murray was very athletic last night. The defense really helped him as well.
The Pens will be ok going down the stretch.

Not bad after 3 periods vs the Jets ..1-1 tie. Everything is going good other than it going in the net.

The Pens have the unique ability to play just good enough to win. Almost like use enough energy to squeak by. Makes for some fun hockey to watch.

Really missed Shultz on the PP. Second unit looked lost out there. Letang made so many unforced errors I lost count. Still we played good enough to win and that's all that matters. Phil is clutch. Crosby will start scoring in bunches soon. He had a ton of shots last night. Of we go to the West.

The Pens have the unique ability to play just good enough to win. Almost like use enough energy to squeak by. Makes for some fun hockey to watch.

Really missed Shultz on the PP. Second unit looked lost out there. Letang made so many unforced errors I lost count. Still we played good enough to win and that's all that matters. Phil is clutch. Crosby will start scoring in bunches soon. He had a ton of shots last night. Of we go to the West.

good way to look at it. They are playing good enough to win without going all out. They are certainly trying out there, but not going balls out. Two points is two points. Five game road trip will be tough. Looking forward to see what the back-up to MM can do.

I really didn't think Phil would outskate that Jet. He took off and finished. Quite impressed. Mike Lange called him Punxy Phil. lol

Reactions: MTC
Amazing how the cast of characters rise up. First Geno and some Mata and then Phil and Murray. Sid will start scoring in bunches soon. Punxy Phil is fitting. I like the current more scruffy Phil.

DeSmith earns opportunity with Pittsburgh

The netminder will serve as the backup to Matt Murray

DeSmith earned the call-up to Pittsburgh after posting sparkling numbers with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton to begin the year, registering a 3-0 record in three starts with a 0.98 goals against average, .965 save percentage, and one shutout.

It wasn't just a quick burst to start the season that landed him in this position, either. DeSmith shone in 29 games for WBS last year, recording a 21-5-3 record with a 2.01 goals against average - which ranked first in the AHL - and a .926 save percentage.

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/desmith-earns-opportunity-with-pittsburgh/c-292272716

We just need to count the second game of back to backs as a loss. It's frustrating.