• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

59 Tons of Buy From China

Another day in la la land.

She'll have to pay the tariffs just like everyone else. At least she's buying from American companies.

Bigger issues going on with China than piddly *** concerns of yours.

We're using China as our chesspiece against the Norks

There's a new sheriff in town

China pivots on North Korea as U.S. missile defense system arrives in South

A sophisticated missile defense system being delivered to South Korea may give President Trump a bargaining chip that no other U.S. president has had to pressure China to rein in North Korea’s ballistic missile and nuclear programs. Beijing has long expressed anger over the Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) shield, and on Wednesday, just two days after the Trump administration announced the start of the system’s deployment, Chinese officials suddenly signaled that they may be ready to increase pressure on Pyongyang.

In an unusual and public proposal that analysts say exposed Beijing’s growing alarm over the situation on the Korean Peninsula, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi told reporters that Pyongyang could suspend its nuclear and missile activities in exchange for a halt in joint U.S.-South Korean military drills that the North has long condemned as a rehearsal for an invasion.

The Trump administration and South Korea quickly threw cold water on the proposal as the U.N. Security Council convened a closed-door session on Pyongyang’s ballistic missile tests — including a simultaneous launch Monday in which a missile crashed into waters just 190 miles off the coast of Japan

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/8/thaad-missile-shield-to-south-korea-gives-donald-t/

------------------------

China blinked

U.S. Deploys Attack Drones To South Korea Amid Tension With North

The United States has started to deploy attack drones to South Korea, a U.S. military spokesman said on Monday, days after it began to deploy an advanced anti-missile system to counter "continued provocative actions" by isolated North Korea.

The drones, Gray Eagle Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) coming to South Korea are part of a broader plan to deploy a company of the attack drones with every division in the U.S. Army, the spokesman said.

The Gray Eagle is a remotely controlled attack drone made by U.S.-based General Atomics. They will be stationed at Kunsan Air Base, 180 km (112 miles) south of Seoul, Bush said, and would be permanently based in South Korea.

On March 7, the United States deployed the "first elements" of the controversial Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) anti-missile system to South Korea, despite angry opposition from China.

Once fully deployed in South Korea, a THAAD battery could theoretically use its radar to see and monitor activity beyond North Korea, deep into Chinese territory. Russia also worries the deployment could compromise its security, and said it would lead to a stalemate on the Korean peninsula.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-deploys-attack-drones-south-korea-amid-tension-092000446.html

47662485.cached.jpg

https://www.yahoo.com/style/ivanka-trump-exception-dads-buy-american-rule-032823047.html

If the Trumps believe in Buy American, why don't they set an example and actually buy American
for their businesses.

Simple. Because of U.S. taxes and labor policies if it was all made here very few people could afford to buy it.
For example, these are Bill's Khakis, "proudly made in the USA". http://www.billskhakis.com/mens-khakis/m2?bk_fabric=2327
As much as I would like to buy American, I don't have $155 to spend on a pair of pants.

The United States lost its garment industry to the Far East decades ago.

Almost 950,000 workers in the American clothing and garment industry have lost their jobs since 1995. The end of import duties on textiles on January 1 accelerated their plight. "The effect is far bigger than we expected," says Karl Spilhaus, the president of the National Textile Association. In the first seven months, apparel exports from China rose by 66 percent - despite its self-imposed export duty. In some product groups, such as men's trousers and women's jackets, the rise surpassed 110 percent.

http://www.spiegel.de/international...le-to-lead-a-globalized-world-a-398844-3.html

I wish they would start making clothes again in America or at least in a place that uses the same tape measure for everything. I just ordered some pants last week and when they came, they were a full size too small.

I understand slight differences where one brand is snug and another loose, but this is the button not coming within 2 inches of closing. Happens all the time in pants and shirts. Sometimes even within brands. I bought some shirts and they fit perfectly. About a month later i decide to grab a few more, same brand, same size, but now they fit like i'm Ed Hochuli.

Then i get busy, forget to return them and i end up with half a closet of clothes in my size that don't fit right next to the others of the same brand and size that fit perfectly.

In my day, exploited sweatshop vassals took more pride in their work.

Man I love how sexy those drones look.

I don't think I own a piece of clothing that was manufactured in the US.

Simple. Because of U.S. taxes and labor policies if it was all made here very few people could afford to buy it.
For example, these are Bill's Khakis, "proudly made in the USA". http://www.billskhakis.com/mens-khakis/m2?bk_fabric=2327
As much as I would like to buy American, I don't have $155 to spend on a pair of pants.

I was just about to say this myself.

Also another reason is the business deals predated election promises. Elections do not override contract law.

I don't think I own a piece of clothing that was manufactured in the US.

And I don't know that many large retailers even sell clothing made in the US. I could be wrong on that one as I'm simply pulling that observation outta my ***.

And I don't know that many large retailers even sell clothing made in the US. I could be wrong on that one as I'm simply pulling that observation outta my ***.

Specialty clothes, very expensive generally, are still made in the United States.

American Apparel, Hart, Schaffner & Marx (high-end suits).

But you are correct - basically no clothing is made in America. The simple fact is that labor is a huge part of clothing cost, and sweatshop labor produces dress shirts, dresses, pants, jeans, NIkes and on and on.

We should have fought this battle 20 years ago, and imposed tariffs on these imported goods. Doing so would have (1) raised revenues and (2) kept many more garment-industry jobs in the United States.

Which is precisely why this whole make America Great deal is a big load of ****. You can't bring back manufacturing. It's ****** done. People Scream make America Great. On their way to the ****** Walmart.

So you're against Trump's proposed Tariffs?

No but we also need to deregulate and lower taxes so that businesses can lower their costs and prices in order to compete. Of course the Democrat rabble like you will be against anything pro-business (but not the Dem leadership). I have personal experience with this running my own small business, following all the proper laws and taxes, writing real checks for real money, lots of money, to the government every month, and losing lots of customers over the last 8 years because people couldn't afford what I had to charge while people who work under-the-table for half as much as I could charge. I didn't see the government protecting my business and their revenue stream by going after people who work on houses under-the-table and don't pay taxes (too much effort for too little reward, i realize). Democrats suddenly become Libertarians when it comes to spending money. But unless you're already buying all your pants from Bill's Khakis at $155 a pair, you need to STFU.

Last edited:
No but we also need to deregulate and lower taxes so that businesses can lower their costs and prices in order to compete. Of course the Democrat rabble like you will be against anything pro-business (but not the Dem leadership). I have personal experience with this running my own small business, following all the proper laws and taxes, writing real checks for real money, lots of money, to the government every month, and losing lots of customers over the last 8 years because people couldn't afford what I had to charge while people who work under-the-table for half as much as I could charge. I didn't see the government protecting my business and their revenue stream by going after people who work on houses under-the-table and don't pay taxes (too much effort for too little reward, i realize). Democrats suddenly become Libertarians when it comes to spending money. But unless you're already buying all your pants from Bill's Khakis at $155 a pair, you need to STFU.

When Trump says he wants to secure and not cut Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security do you think he's talking about lowering business taxes?

Kasich mentioned cutting those and was met with outrage and disbelief. Not from me. STFU? I asked a question. Enjoy your confliction RINO, you have no idea what you want.

When Trump says he wants to secure and not cut Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security do you think he's talking about lowering business taxes?

Kasich mentioned cutting those and was met with outrage and disbelief. Not from me. STFU? I asked a question. Enjoy your confliction RINO, you have no idea what you want.
The money all goes into and out of the same pot.
Your problem is that you don't realize the parties have switched roles on trade ever since the Dems told Labor to kiss off about 30 years ago.

This is a long read but it's instructive:
How Democrats Killed Their Populist Soul
https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...-democrats-killed-their-populist-soul/504710/

Last edited:
The money all goes into and out of the same pot.
Your problem is that you don't realize the parties have switched roles on trade ever since the Dems told Labor to kiss off about 30 years ago.

I realize that American made pants don't cost $155 because of taxes. Your problem is you ignore the mathematical difference between paying workers $8/day and $8/hour or $28/hour for all those pro-labor Trumpers. I've never been pro-labor. I learned at a fairly young age that you don't get paid a lot for working hard, you get paid a lot because it's hard to replace you.

I realize that American made pants don't cost $155 because of taxes. Your problem is you ignore the mathematical difference between paying workers $8/day and $8/hour or $28/hour for all those pro-labor Trumpers.
Not ignoring it at all. Tariffs to level the playing field. But Hildebeast will proudly put you out of work then offer you "job training". Training for what, that they never answer.

I've never been pro-labor. I learned at a fairly young age that you don't get paid a lot for working hard, you get paid a lot because it's hard to replace you.
Smartest thing you've posted all day. I have also learned that how much you get paid is a function of 1) how much value you add to the good or service you are produce and 2) how replaceable you are.

Again, these days the Democrats are the party of bankers, corporations, and Wall Street. The Republicans are the party of working people. Democrats are the party of the very rich and the very poor. Republicans are the party of everybody in the middle. Paradigm shift.

Not ignoring it at all. Tariffs to level the playing field.

So that pants made in China or Bangladesh cost at least $155? I read an article where a clothing retailer said that even with shipping costs, its 130% more expensive to manufacture clothes in the US vs. China. How are tariffs going to do anything besides raise prices?

So that pants made in China or Bangladesh cost at least $155? I read an article where a clothing retailer said that even with shipping costs, its 130% more expensive to manufacture clothes in the US vs. China. How are tariffs going to do anything besides raise prices?

It's two-fold, red-headed step child. You tax the incoming goods and you lower taxes on domestic companies and omit the ridiculous regulations that hamstring businesses.

It's two-fold, red-headed step child. You tax the incoming goods and you lower taxes on domestic companies and omit the ridiculous regulations that hamstring businesses.

Yeah, he's pretty selective when it comes to reading what other people write. Typical Lib, they only see what they want to see. Otherwise their points are destroyed and they lose.

No but we also need to deregulate and lower taxes so that businesses can lower their costs and prices in order to compete.

Yeah, he's pretty selective when it comes to reading what other people write. Typical Lib, they only see what they want to see. Otherwise their points are destroyed and they lose.

Oh, I want to see. Model it up and do the math. How do a reduction in taxes on US goods and tariffs on foreign goods add up to 130% difference in costs?

Oh, I want to see. Model it up and do the math. How do a reduction in taxes on US goods and tariffs on foreign goods add up to 130% difference in costs?

it doesn't but again, you don't read very well.