• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Aaron Rodgers thinks Ben could be an OC

Not happening. There's a reason that few if any star players take coaching positions when they retire. They don't need the scrutiny or the work load. Ben's just going to enjoy retirement with his family. Possibly become a TV analyst.

I could see him helping to design an offensive playbook, but not doing all of those crazy hours and being away from his family. He certainly doesn't need the money. It would have to come from a desire to win another championship. The hours,pay and stress just doesn't seem very enticing.

Not happening. There's a reason that few if any star players take coaching positions when they retire. They don't need the scrutiny or the work load. Ben's just going to enjoy retirement with his family. Possibly become a TV analyst.

You may be right, but if Ben ROETHLISBERGER was named a more Highbred types OC, specifically calling the plays.

Think about this, who are you going to bring in at this juncture and do anything. If you promote from with-in, you’ll get very near the same results because of inexperience and system groomed.

Ben showed his displeasure of plays called by O’Canada, even to the point of going rouge. He knows the plays & playbook. He can game plan as good as anyone in the system currently (like I said, bring in outside OC and it’s like starting over in season, end season then look for new system).

Pat Mcafree had a good take on just this subject. He even showed a section of football in with Ben, showing Ben breaking down that 4th & 1 play call.

In this CASE, Ben ROETHLISBERGER would make the MOST sense in bringing him in for this season.

Salute the nation

Ben is a Dad and Husband who is involved in philanthropy, does a podcast once per week, and let's face it, Hunting season is upon us and how many years did Ben miss out on hunting being a player. He isn't going to miss kid's events and living out the rest of his life sitting in the booth calling plays.

Merrel Hodge was on DVE yesterday and was asked the same question. He said Ben could be an OC, but like him, doesn’t have any desire to be a coach.

Star players rarely make good coaches because they are such good natural athletes that they can’t explain how they do what they do. Your better coaches were muckers and grinders as players who had to study the game in order to stay in it. Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, and Jim Leyland come to mind.

Ben is a Dad and Husband who is involved in philanthropy, does a podcast once per week, and let's face it, Hunting season is upon us and how many years did Ben miss out on hunting being a player. He isn't going to miss kid's events and living out the rest of his life sitting in the booth calling plays.
Also he has enough money that, to quote Garth Brooks, his grandchildren’s grandchildren will never have to work.

Merrel Hodge was on DVE yesterday and was asked the same question. He said Ben could be an OC, but like him, doesn’t have any desire to be a coach.

Yeah, that is the thing… even if he was capable… why would he do it? He has little to prove and doesn’t need money… why surrender the sweet spot of life for work when you can just go do whatever before you are too old to do stuff

You may be right, but if Ben ROETHLISBERGER was named a more Highbred types OC, specifically calling the plays.

Think about this, who are you going to bring in at this juncture and do anything. If you promote from with-in, you’ll get very near the same results because of inexperience and system groomed.

Ben showed his displeasure of plays called by O’Canada, even to the point of going rouge. He knows the plays & playbook. He can game plan as good as anyone in the system currently (like I said, bring in outside OC and it’s like starting over in season, end season then look for new system).

Pat Mcafree had a good take on just this subject. He even showed a section of football in with Ben, showing Ben breaking down that 4th & 1 play call.

In this CASE, Ben ROETHLISBERGER would make the MOST sense in bringing him in for this season.

Salute the nation
You're right - it definitely wouldn't be anyone from outside the organization in the middle of the seas. I could see Ben as more of a consultant than an actual OC.

Sooooo….How is he with a crayon box?
We’ve got a need for a coloring coordinator

He’s drawn up plays in the dirt that worked better unpracticed than the current OC’s do after a week of preparation

So yeah, the math checks out (he’s overqualified for us)
Kevin Gilbride would be an improvement.

Becoming OC here? I mean .... Nah. If he tried it and it didn't work ... it could get ugly for him. And right now, it's very sweet.
If I were him, I wouldn't give up family time, hunting, podcast and endorsements.
As my wise ol' Pap used to say: "You don't **** where you eat."

Becoming OC here? I mean .... Nah. If he tried it and it didn't work ... it could get ugly for him. And right now, it's very sweet.
If I were him, I wouldn't give up family time, hunting, podcast and endorsements.
As my wise ol' Pap used to say: "You don't **** where you eat."
**** I would just be enjoying life. I'd be spending extra time with the kids and wife, do whatever I enjoy on top of that. Fishing,canoeing, kayaking, nature walks.

Plenty of outdoor fun to be had.

Star players rarely make good coaches because they are such good natural athletes that they can’t explain how they do what they do. Your better coaches were muckers and grinders as players who had to study the game in order to stay in it. Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, and Jim Leyland come to mind.
So what happened with Tomlin? He attended a I-AA college and never played a down in the NFL. He should be a great coach, right? lol

So what happened with Tomlin? He attended a I-AA college and never played a down in the NFL. He should be a great coach, right? lol
Just because star players don’t make good coaches doesn’t mean that muckers and grinders always do.

Just because star players don’t make good coaches doesn’t mean that muckers and grinders always do.

Greatest non-losing season Coach ever………… I wonder if that trophy will be displayed in the HALL ?

Salute the nation

I can't imagine leaving a perfectly pleasant life to sign up for a job under Tomlin that has absolutely no possible positive outcome.

1) He doesn't do well and people hate him.

2) He's a genius OC and Tomlin says, "Here are the plays you can call and the circumstances under which you can call them."

No thanks, man.

I can't imagine leaving a perfectly pleasant life to sign up for a job under Tomlin that has absolutely no possible positive outcome.

1) He doesn't do well and people hate him.

2) He's a genius OC and Tomlin says, "Here are the plays you can call and the circumstances under which you can call them."

No thanks, man.

Right after #2, Ben says ****-it. And has a presser conference and just lets all the secrets out of the bag. BEN hasn’t done so yet, out of respect for the organization, but if Coach Tomlin pulled **** on him, he might just open up a bit……

We are talking something that won’t happen, Ben as the OC.

Salute the nation

Salute the nation

More likely, Tomlin would NEVER sign off on someone like Ben as OC for the above reason.

Instead he gets folks begging for jobs or promotions that he can control from the jump.

Flores had been fired & couldn't find a job. Soon as he became established as a talented coach again, he rocketed out of here.

Now watch the Tomlin backers claim Flores as part of Tomlin's "coaching tree."

Greatest non-losing season Coach ever………… I wonder if that trophy will be displayed in the HALL ?

Salute the nation
Unfortunately my hard drive crashed 6 months ago and I lost 10 years of memes including the Tomlinbardi Trophy for No Losing Seasons.

Unfortunately my hard drive crashed 6 months ago and I lost 10 years of memes including the Tomlinbardi Trophy for No Losing Seasons.

Sorry about the hard drive, but I kinda remember that meme. Thank you SIR

Salute the nation