• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Alabama Gov signs bill effectively banning abortion

How long till Supreme Court?

Well, to overturn Roe v. Wade you would need for an abortion law case to get to the Supreme Court. The Libs could STFU and just let it be Alabama law and not challenge it but they won't be able to help themselves.

I am certainly no expert on understanding women and my track record proves it. But what I really have a hard time understanding is this: they are the fairer sex, sugar and spice and everything nice, etc... but if you tell them that they can’t kill their sweet, innocent unborn (and now born) BABY they turn into rabid batshit howler monkeys. WTF

I don't agree with abortion in 90% of cases. But saying that even an underage girl who gets raped, incestual or otherwise, is forbidden from having one is too far in my opinion. I think it will backfire horribly because most people, even if they are against something in principle, are smart enough to understand nuance.

Last edited:
I think it will backfire horribly

So do I. There are a bunch of states that have bills up for 6 week fetal heartbeat abortion limits too, OH, AR, Kentucky, Utah, Miss

As most women are liberals when it comes to abortions i think will drive millions more to the polls, Dens are virtually guaranteed to have huge waves of scared women that want to fight back on this.

Huge mistake in timing, why now?

Well, to overturn Roe v. Wade you would need for an abortion law case to get to the Supreme Court. The Libs could STFU and just let it be Alabama law and not challenge it but they won't be able to help themselves.

Can a lower court just shoot it down? I agree, this was done to directly challenge Roe vs Wade, but wouldn't it take a couple years to get there?

The more liberal states were widening abortion access. I had suspected their intention was to get it back to the supreme court before RGB died and trump got to fill in the replacement. Doesn't seem to be going down that path

If these states were smart, they'd wait until trump got another judge in the SC.

Alabama abortion ban 'has gone too far' with 'extreme' bill, evangelical leader Pat Robertson says

“It’s an extreme law and they want to challenge Roe v Wade, but my humble view is that this is not the case we want to bring to the Supreme Court because I think this one’ll lose.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alabama-abortion-ban-gone-too-224201197.html

-----------------

It just made ALL Republicans easy targets for the next elections. The left has their wedge issue.

I don't agree with abortion in 90% of cases. But saying that even an underage girl who gets raped, incestual or otherwise, is forbidden from having one is too far in my opinion. I think it will backfire horribly because most people, even if they are against something in principle, are smart enough to understand nuance.

Same here. And this is a very difficult issue to navigate in a lot of those cases you mentioned.

Good. It's deeply evil.

I don't think this Court would overturn it. I think we'd need Ginsburg's seat. This might have been premature.

As has been said here, this was done to force a constitutional challenge.

Can a lower court just shoot it down?
Yes but it can be appealed again. The SC doesn't have to take the case but they probably would.

I agree, this was done to directly challenge Roe vs Wade, but wouldn't it take a couple years to get there?
Yes.

Jim Quinn often makes the point that Europe doesn't protest or otherwise fuss over abortion because they voted on it. So half the people say, "well okay, the other side won". Here it was decided by a court with no input from the people.

If you’re of the opinion that an innocent unborn child has a right to life. it’s hard to understand how that right is nuanced. I disagree with them, but they are absolute in their principles.

My wife had extremely high blood pressure with our first child, so they had to induce labor 3 weeks early. The whole inducing process took 37 hours and
she had to push for 3 hours. She nearly died and it took her 4 months to recover. I never had a strong stance on abortion before that, but after that I concluded that no government
should be dictating what a woman should be doing with her health and her body.

This is likely what happens:

1. Group A will sue the state that the law is unconstitutional on probably a whole host of grounds.
2. A local court will put a hold on the law being enacted while the case is in the court system (so doctors in Alabama will NOT ever get charged by this law and everything will currently stay the same).
3. It could be 2-3 years for the case to reach the Supreme Court. By that time another law (heartbeat law) could get there first. Hell, the court could probably pick an abortion law on the docket already if they want to nip this in the bud.

This is all for show. No one is going to jail for committing an abortion. No access is going to be restricted by this law as of yet.

I personally think this law and the heartbeat law don't have a chance at the Supreme Court but then again, I've always been a little confused at how abortion is related to the 14th amendment due process clause.

If they continue to uphold that relationship then I expect the court to ONLY change the language of "viability", which is confusing to a specific time, like 20 weeks, up to which no law may restrict access or legality of an woman's right to an abortion.

Would a court break the relationship between Due Process 14th amendment and abortion? That's a tricky proposition and I'd have to see other example of where the court established the constitutional connection of some law only to be broken by a newer court. Maybe worth researching.

My wife had extremely high blood pressure with our first child, so they had to induce labor 3 weeks early. The whole inducing process took 37 hours and
she had to push for 3 hours. She nearly died and it took her 4 months to recover. I never had a strong stance on abortion before that, but after that I concluded that no government
should be dictating what a woman should be doing with her health and her body.

Sorry to hear that. My mom was born with a heart defect that's caused her to have 2 open-heart surgeries, and when she was pregnant with me, it almost killed her as well. She found out she was pregnant again a couple of years after that and the Doctor urged her to abort b/c of the risk to her life, so she reluctantly did. She then had the surgery so that she would never get pregnant again, but she said many years after the fact that it was the hardest thing she's ever had to deal with -- and this is a woman who's gone through 2 open-heart surgeries.

So yeah Troglodyte, it might be hard for your obtuse *** to understand, but for those who've actually had to go through literal life-death situations, not so much.

ayep, wedge issue, it's gonna create a firestorm of protests, and send millions of women screaming to the polls

Kamala Harris Raised $160,000 For Abortion Groups In Wake Of Alabama Abortion Ban

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) raised more than $160,000 for abortion rights groups on Wednesday, after Alabama passed legislation that essentially bars women from obtaining the medical procedure in the state.

Harris’ fundraising email to her supporters compared what was happening in Alabama to the dystopian book and TV series, “The Handmaid’s Tale.”

“Outlawing access to abortion ― including in cases of rape or incest. Threatening to punish doctors who provide abortion care with up to 99 years of jail time. This isn’t a scene from The Handmaid’s Tale. This is happening in Alabama ― in our country ― in the year 2019”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kama...1jNznSG8sgkvhvlEpqbR1dplu1NthAtU3HvmOycLHpHVa

So yeah Troglodyte, it might be hard for your obtuse *** to understand, but for those who've actually had to go through literal life-death situations, not so much.

I’m pro-choice just like you and your mom. Obtuse is that fact being lost on you.

I feel, like a lot of issues, there has to be a gray area, like rape and incest cases.

Another one

Missouri Senate Passes Bill That Would Ban Abortions After 8 Weeks

Missouri's Senate has passed a bill that would ban abortions at eight weeks of pregnancy or later, except in cases of medical emergency.

There are no exceptions for rape or incest.

The bill passed the Senate early Thursday morning in a 24-to-10 vote. The measure will now return to the state House. If approved there, it would head to the desk of Republican Gov. Mike Parson.

The text states that performing abortions in violation of the measure would be considered a felony. The legislation states that "any person who knowingly performs or induces an abortion of an unborn child in violation of this subsection shall be guilty of a class B felony, as well as subject to suspension or revocation of his or her professional license." Women who receive abortions would not be prosecuted.

In addition to having no exceptions for rape or incest, the bill also bans all abortions because of race, sex or a diagnosis of Down syndrome.

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/16/7239...s-bill-that-would-ban-abortions-after-8-weeks

I’m pro-choice just like you and your mom. Obtuse is that fact being lost on you.

Obtuse has nothing to do with you being pro-choice.

You said verbatim "If you’re of the opinion that an innocent unborn child has a right to life, it’s hard to understand how that right is nuanced."

I'm of the opinion that any unborn child has a right to life, but when that mother's own life becomes at risk, it's anything but nuanced or subtle. It's devastating. Perhaps they should know better in the first place with the medical conditions they have, but I don't think there's a pregnancy/parenting 101 course offered anywhere.

I'm of the opinion that any unborn child has a right to life, but when that mother's own life becomes at risk, it's anything but nuanced or subtle. It's devastating.

Perhaps you’re unfamiliar with the quote “Everything before the word but is horseshit”? The second part of your sentence refuted the first part.

I don’t question your mom’s decision which is why I think women should have the right to choose and circumstances beyond that are none of my business.

If you’re of the opinion that an innocent unborn child has a right to life. it’s hard to understand how that right is nuanced. I disagree with them, but they are absolute in their principles.

If a young girl is raped and gets pregnant as a result, that is one hell of a lot different than a grown woman willingly making a choice to have unprotected sex, getting pregnant and saying, eh **** it, I don't want it. Anyone who can't see the nuance there is up to their eyeballs in political dogma and can't see reason.....no matter which political side they're on. Don't be an unthinking dogmatic person, use your critical thinking skills. They'll set you free.

Last edited:
The only way these laws will stand, pack the courts

Senate confirms Wendy Vitter as judge over Democrats’ objections to her anti-abortion stance

Senate votes to confirm Wendy Vitter to be a lifetime federal judge

WASHINGTON – The Senate on Thursday confirmed Wendy Vitter’s appointment to the federal bench as Republicans overcame strong opposition from Democrats who criticized the nominee’s stand against abortion.

Vitter stands as the 107th judge confirmed since Trump took office in January 2017, as he and McConnell have pushed to remake the courts, installing conservatives who will serve for years. Under Trump, the Republican-led Senate has confirmed two Supreme Court justices, 40 circuit court judges and 65 district court judges.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation...crats-objections-to-her-anti-abortion-stance/