• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Allen Robinson or Jordan Matthews

Steel Ballin

Reaction score
At 1:15 the Steelers took Darqueze Dennard. They are on the clock in the second round and both Allen Robinson and Jordan Matthews are available. Do you take one of these guys, and if so, which one and why?

..or pass on both?

Last edited:
Are M. Bryant, Tuitt and Nix gone in this scenario? JaWan James?

Matthews would be the safer pick in that scenario, with less upside though. Still, if ever there was a year that the Steelers can't afford a miss that early....

Neither for my tastes. Robinson is extraordinarily inconsistent and only a mediocre NFL athlete. Matthews is average in just about every way; he has the upside of a 3rd or 4th.

Of the two, I'd take Matthews. However, I'd prefer to wait for round 3 for a WR. If Nix or Tuitt are still on the board, I pull that trigger.

Nix scares the hell out of me. A 340 lbs+ NG that has two bad knees in today's pass happy NFL worries me. Teams like the Broncos and NE (the teams we need to beat) will spread the Steelers out. So that means that either he'll be on the sideline or he'll be dead on the field dragging his fat *** to the LOS while looking for a canister of oxygen to suck down.

I'm a little surprised by all the negativity towards Robinson.. He's pretty gifted athletically, from what I've seen.. I'd gladly take him in round 2 unless people think we could get him in round 3..

From what I hear Nix's knees are fine. If he or Tuitt are there in rd 2 ya gotta take one. Anyone think Moncrief last to round 3?

I'm a little surprised by all the negativity towards Robinson.. He's pretty gifted athletically, from what I've seen.. I'd gladly take him in round 2 unless people think we could get him in round 3..

I hate a body-catcher. And while workout numbers don't mean anything, extreme ones do. Robinson ran a poor 4.6 at the Combine, then had to suddenly drop 12 pounds in a month to run even a decent one at his Pro Day. I don't think he'll get downfield much in the pros, and when he does, I don't trust him to catch it right. He's shown some dynamism on screens and so forth, but he likes to run east-west despite really lacking the speed to do so. He thinks he's Percy Harvin.

Scares me in Round Two.

Matthews the safer pick, may not have the same upside but will be more consistent.
if this scenerio is present at 46 trade to like 55 and grab another pick and at 55 take moncrief.

Neither for my tastes. Robinson is extraordinarily inconsistent and only a mediocre NFL athlete. Matthews is average in just about every way; he has the upside of a 3rd or 4th.

Inconsistent? He had at least 7 receptions in 10 games of 12 games. The other games wer a blowout vs Kent State where he only had 3 and 5 against Michigan where he essentially won the game with his leaping grab down to the one. He also had a 30+ yard reception in 9 games of 12 games.

He had back to back 1000 yard seasons. Last year he had a true freshman QB and every defense knew he was locked on Robinson. Robinson is one of the most consistent WR in the draft.

I don't know where you're getting that Robinson is not an athlete. His 40 wasn't great at the combine but all his other tests were near the top. Great vertical, broad jump, and shuttle times. At his pro day he ran 4.48 in the 40. 42 inch vertical, 10'11" broad jump and 6.54 in the 3 cone.

I'd be happy with either one, but i'd take Robinson because he's more dangerous after the catch than Matthews. Matthews was not that good getting off press coverage. Robinson is very good at it.

Both will likely be in the possession WR category but i think Robinson has a better chance to make big plays.

Having said that, they may have to go DL in round 2. If Hageman, Tuitt, Jernigan, Kareem Martin, DaQuan Jones, or Scott Crichton are there, You'd have to grab one over a WR since WR is so deep.

This^^^Robinson is one of the quickest athletes at his position (which for his size is pretty amazing). Put it this way, AB ran at 4.56 (combine) and 4.48 (tied w Robinson at his pro-day) AND Robinson smoked him in the other skill drills. Robinson ran a 3-cone in 6.54??? That's faster than Beckham, Cooks AND AB. I like the kid in 2.

cody latimer , donte moncrief
or abbrederis in the 3rd could be other good options

cody latimer , donte moncrief
or abbrederis in the 3rd could be other good options

Inconsistent? He had at least 7 receptions in 10 games of 12 games. The other games wer a blowout vs Kent State where he only had 3 and 5 against Michigan where he essentially won the game with his leaping grab down to the one. He also had a 30+ yard reception in 9 games of 12 games.

You just described about 10-12 guys in every draft. Go look up the NCAA's all-time reception leaders and tell me how well it correlates to NFL success.

He had back to back 1000 yard seasons. Last year he had a true freshman QB and every defense knew he was locked on Robinson. Robinson is one of the most consistent WR in the draft.

His technique is not good and he's a body catcher. Consistently. He makes a basket with his forearms. Doesn't inspire confidence in his ability to be a possession receiver.

I don't know where you're getting that Robinson is not an athlete. His 40 wasn't great at the combine but all his other tests were near the top. Great vertical, broad jump, and shuttle times. At his pro day he ran 4.48 in the 40. 42 inch vertical, 10'11" broad jump and 6.54 in the 3 cone.

His 40 wasn't "not great" - it was extremely slow, among the slowest at the combine. Kelvin Benjamin ran a faster 40 at 6'5" 240. Yes, a WR so heavy scouts are talking about moving him to TE. Robinson then ran a mediocre 40 at his Pro Day, but all 40s are skewed at Pro Days, since it's their coaches and buddies timing them. Just about every prospect on Earth stunningly drops from a 4.55 to a 4.30 at his Pro Day. Besides, Robinson had to drop 12 pounds in less than a month just to run even a decent 40. That doesn't inspire confidence that he'll ever be able to get downfield, which he didn't do well on film.

What will hurt him more is his inability to explode off the line. He has a hitch to his first step, making his lack of speed even more troubling. He's a galloper who runs straight-legged; I doubt he'll ever challenge anyone deep. Besides, think about the 12 pounds he abruptly dropped for his Pro Day. Do you want a WR who's 6'3" 208? That's incredibly lanky. What happens when he packs those 12 pounds back on?

Yes, combine numbers can be misleading, though perhaps a better term would be misunderstood or poorly applied. This is especially prevalent when you have a blowhard expert prattling on about the 40 time of a 350-lb NT. Or more often, when you hear a prospect get lambasted for running a "pathetic" 4.52 while another gets first-round praise for running a 4.48. But normalized, position-specific workout numbers CAN tell a lot about the explosiveness and top-end speed needed at a player's position.

Combine numbers should not write a prospect's book. But they can be very valid in aligning the eyeball test with production and, ultimately, reasonable perception. In Robinson's case, he looks slow on film AND ran slow in his normalized 40. As a result, I feel fairly confident in calling him relatively slow.

There's a lot I hate about Robinson's film. His get-off sucks. He's not fast and will struggle to separate. He has poor catching technique. And I don't see him zig-zagging east-west through NFL defenses like he did against the Slow Ten. I think his best-case scenario is a mistake-prone possession guy. Maybe he'll be Nate Burleson. I'm not taking that in the 2nd and leaving someone like Adams or Latimer or Moncrief on the board.

Last edited:
My final list of WR's:

Watkins
Evans
Lee
Beckham
Benjamin
Bryant
Latimer
Robinson
Ellington
Matthews
Cooks

After that there is a pretty big gap to a very large 3rd/4th round receivers that could go anywhere.

Note I am very close to moving Benjamin down even more (past Bryant and Latimer). He's already falling on other lists and I have never been a big fan of his tape.

I really liked Latimer's tape when I watched it. I would have no problem with him in the 2nd round if we choose to go that way.

From what I hear Nix's knees are fine. If he or Tuitt are there in rd 2 ya gotta take one. Anyone think Moncrief last to round 3?

He has tendinitis in his knees. Nobody knows how he will come back from the surgery. Also he is a fat body. He'll never go below 240lbs. He could easily eat himself out of the league. Also he doesn't shed blocks well and is put on the ground too much. He is also worthless against the pass. Way too many issues for me to take him in the first 2 rounds.

He has tendinitis in his knees. Nobody knows how he will come back from the surgery. Also he is a fat body. He'll never go below 240lbs. He could easily eat himself out of the league. Also he doesn't shed blocks well and is put on the ground too much. He is also worthless against the pass. Way too many issues for me to take him in the first 2 rounds.

Agree with this. I expect we'll have several more enticing options than Nix in round 2.

Yes, many other people love him. However they never discussed his health or his weight. They assume that "at his best" he'll be a very good player. I'm not arguing that. I'm saying he is 340 lbs now.. maybe. He's not getting any smaller, he has tendinitis in his knees, and he is a liability on passing downs. Even the article you mentioned said as much. He has no pass rush moves. So against the power teams of the conference (NE and Den) he'll be on the sideline or laying on the field exhausted. I'm not spending a middle 2nd round pick on a 2 down AT MOST NG when the league is passing more than ever. In 1998 absolutely. Today? Hell no. NE will give this guy a heart attack or he'll be standing by LeBeau. I don't like either.

No Moncrief?

No Moncrief.

Think he's very over rated and really not that good a WR prospect. Want someone else to take him and wouldn't even consider him to draft until round 4.

I am still strongly considering Nix in round 1. If he's available in round 2, I'm running to the podium.

I just think he would make our whole defensive philosophy and everyone's else's job on the field a lot easier. To me, on film, he just controls the middle of the field that much and demands that much attention.