• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Are Steeler fans, on average, more knowledgeable than other fan bases' fans?

Do you think he cheated in tampa?
They actually had an excellent HC in Tampa. So no not at all. But they did extensively cheat in NE. Which will always bring in question how many of those trophies came honestly.

I often wondered how much of the success was tb 12 and bellicheat. The tampa sb win made it clear to me.

I think Steeler fans are some of the most passionate that’s for sure and us older fans that remember the serious dark days from the early 60s obviously have lots of history to refer to and makes us appreciate those great seasons.
Knowledge wise yes I’d say it’s like most fan bases. Lots of extremely knowledgeable fans mixed with fans that know the players and coaches but aren’t into things like the offensive and defensive schemes and zone and man coverage sort of things. They are passionate but again are not into the finer points of the game and that’s cool.
I do know this though. Our fan base is not blind and not naive and for the most part know when they are being sold a bunch of bs by the owner and head coach.

Do you think he cheated in tampa?

Hell yes

First off, there is to be no coach / player interaction during the off season. T*mmyb*y showed up at their (tampon's) OC's house (when he was first signed) with two duffle bags and stayed three weeks. What do you think they were doing, playing tidily winks? That's just one example.

That deflated football scandal created way more positive stats & wins than can be imagined. I'm not going to dig it up, but when it came to turn overs / fumbles / catches, ect., There was a very large discrepancy from cheatriots to every other team. Add all that up, or better yet, TAKE that away, then what do you have left????

If he was that ****-ing good, why the cheating. THAT stigma will be carried where ever he goes.

Sure he has some good ability, but he also has FULL CHEATING in his resume as well, thus the Z-E-R-O respect.

I've said this many times "show me the percentage of Honest Abe and then show me the percentage of Cheating MFer, then I'll respect him to that proportion"

Salute the nation

I think the lack of interest amongst hardcore fans stems to more than just a boring product on field. Politics and fans now questioning integrity of the games.

I mean it’s still a big product and still raking in $$$. But it’s also going through a transition to appeal to its demographics
I thinks the league is a microcosm to everything going on in the world today: If something is popular, it's gonna be impacted by the globalists trying to shape everything to their agenda. We saw it with something so basic as beer and the Budweiser scandal of trying to force people to their "woke" agenda. Oops, that didn't work out too well, did it? Bud lost Billions, with a "B." The NFL is also open to the globalists agenda which is why we see so much glorification of mass killing (wars) and the like. And we will continue to see the glorification of war, with each passing season. It's very much on the globalists' main agenda.

So, the NFL is a big dancing bear: on one hand it has to appeal to the soft, "woke" crowd of "everyone gets a participation trophy," with the violence of the sport. Not really good dancing partners. But the NFL is popular and the globalists don't/can't ignore that as a propaganda tool, complete with signing of Kelce up to be their spokesman on getting the clot jab. Heck, let's pair him in a mock relationship with Taylor Swift to get an Uber-popular force of persuasion.

I think Steeler fans are some of the most passionate that’s for sure and us older fans that remember the serious dark days from the early 60s obviously have lots of history to refer to and makes us appreciate those great seasons.
Knowledge wise yes I’d say it’s like most fan bases. Lots of extremely knowledgeable fans mixed with fans that know the players and coaches but aren’t into things like the offensive and defensive schemes and zone and man coverage sort of things. They are passionate but again are not into the finer points of the game and that’s cool.
I do know this though. Our fan base is not blind and not naive and for the most part know when they are being sold a bunch of bs by the owner and head coach.
Yes and sure, there are those who blindly buy whatever PR the team is selling, and let's not be ignorant, the team DOES sell propaganda to the fan base. Some actually buy it, I see examples daily. On Facebook, there are a high % of fans who just buy whatever PR the team sells. And if you don't then "go root for another team!" But generally speaking, I think that Steeler fans have a higher % of fans who actually understand football and reality. When the gentleman at the gym said "Next year is our year" he quickly laughed it off when I said, "we need a QB first." He agreed hoping for Kenny to "be the guy" was a long shot and unless the offense grew up, we had zero chance of making any real noise. Fans generally know more than Shades does.

Reactions: xjx
They actually won divisions, played in 3 AFCCG's and a Super Bowl in the 90's
They did, short of winning a ring, those 90's (Cowher) teams were right there, right in contention, winning plenty of playoff games and able to beat any team on any given day. We even had the dynasty Cowboy team on the run had O'Donnell not been paid off in the Super Bowl. There's a reason Niel never returned to 3 Rivers to clean out his locker, he knew he was guilty and feared for his life. Not ONE preposterous INT, but TWO.

They actually won divisions, played in 3 AFCCG's and a Super Bowl in the 90's
That was a fun decade of football for everything you just said. To think people were mad at Cowher and wanted him gone because he couldn't win a home AFC Championship game. How the standard has changed for some fans...or should I say how the standard has changed for fans who have never experienced success from the Steelers.

I guess i do not understand why anyone would be concerned about "average fans" of any team compared to others......does this imply that Steeler fans in the middle of the range of Steeler fans are better/worse than anyone else? If so, why would this matter?

I guess i do not understand why anyone would be concerned about "average fans" of any team compared to others......does this imply that Steeler fans in the middle of the range of Steeler fans are better/worse than anyone else? If so, why would this matter?
It depends if you think being "more knowledgeable" makes you better or worse. Some could argue being "more knowledgeable" makes you less happy, so it makes you "worse off." After all, if you aren't living a "happy life" then what's the entire purpose? I don't think the proposed question has to do with being better or worse. Just more or less "knowledgeable."

I wonder if a "knowledgable" fan would make an assertion like Neil O'Donnell was paid off to throw interceptions to lose Super Bowl 30.

O'Donnell was a system QB, and things had to go mostly right within a play...he did not have much in the line of improvisational skills. One thing that is overlooked in that Super Bowl is Ernie Mills got hurt, and they replaced him with Corey Holliday. On the second interception, Holliday turned his route upfield. He was supposed to be where O'Donnell threw the ball. Now, had O'Donnell been a little less a system guy, maybe he sees that. He wasn't, unfortunately, because Corey Holliday was wide open. I get sick thinking about it. Look up, Neil! But the idea he was paid off? That's not what I would call "knowledgable."

Con…….is that your polite way of saying who would absolutely give a flying ****? 🙂🙂

It depends if you think being "more knowledgeable" makes you better or worse. Some could argue being "more knowledgeable" makes you less happy, so it makes you "worse off." After all, if you aren't living a "happy life" then what's the entire purpose? I don't think the proposed question has to do with being better or worse. Just more or less "knowledgeable."
who would absolutely give a flying ****? 🙂🙂

Now when I got home I see that Steeler fans on FB are defending Kenny as a "great QB" and so on. Well, you can't win them all. Take Browns fan for instance: The majority think they will win the SB in 2024. I'm not exaggerating. 80% feel this way.
Probably. The MOST knowledgeable fans are right here.
The FB groups are about 80% Tomlin Fan Club with thin skins and very little football knowledge.
If the TFC spent ten minutes here confronted with history, facts, and stats, they’d leave crying with their tail between their legs.
If you’re at all critical of the team you’re told to go root for someone else and if you’re at all critical of The Greatest Coach Ever Who’s Never Had A Losing Season, you’re a racist.
The participation trophy generation has grown up and become football fans.

I know an elite championship level Steeler team when I see one. I've seen a lot of them.
I’m pleased that they’re making more than the usual amount of changes but the have a loooong way to go to catch the Bills, Chefs, Bungles, Rats, Jags, Texans, and Chargers. They’re not beating any of those teams in a playoff game any time soon.

Probably. The MOST knowledgeable fans are right here.
The FB groups are about 80% Tomlin Fan Club with thin skins and very little football knowledge.
If the TFC spent ten minutes here confronted with history, facts, and stats, they’d leave crying with their tail between their legs.
If you’re at all critical of the team you’re told to go root for someone else and if you’re at all critical of The Greatest Coach Ever Who’s Never Had A Losing Season, you’re a racist.
The participation trophy generation has grown up and become football fans.
The anti-Tomlin crowd is pretty thin skinned as well. It is almost as if that crowd needs/requires an echo chamber. For example, I have always disagreed with after a loss when many people say on here "that loss was ALL on Tomlin!" I have disagreed with that, stating the obvious that players play, they are also responsible for the loss. You'd think I was leading a charge of knighthood or something for Tomlin with the reaction to that very common sense approach.

“Luke” Questions of the Universe loom large.

Salute the nation