• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Are the Steelers gonna be scary or awful? Which way do yinz lean?

If KP makes a year two jump and key players are healthy they are a playoff team. Wildcard unless the Bengals take big injuries. They would need a lot of the new players to pay off big to be more than that. I'd say of non playoff teams they have best chances of making real noise.
My real concern with this team is they have a lot of weight put on inexperienced players and guys with injury history. All these early pick guys are great on paper but there is always adjustment to the pro game and the rookie wall.

Last edited:
"Najee the suck and LittleHands the suck too"
/ @Hines57

I can see Najee and the run game improving alot. With Jones and Washington the big TE, looked as if the coaches started to realize what they have in little Heyward this offense will be a different animal.
I hope they come out and steamroll teams on the ground with Harris and Warren. Some Monty and Washington blowing holes wide open.
Harris, Warren and Pickett are the biggest beneficiaries of this draft. Our defense is good enough to hold teams and let kenny protect the ball and not have to play hero.

I can see Najee and the run game improving alot. With Jones and Washington the big TE, looked as if the coaches started to realize what they have in little Heyward this offense will be a different animal.
I hope they come out and steamroll teams on the ground with Harris and Warren. Some Monty and Washington blowing holes wide open.
Harris, Warren and Pickett are the biggest beneficiaries of this draft. Our defense is good enough to hold teams and let kenny protect the ball and not have to play hero.
but, i have it on gooderest authority that Najee the suck and LittleHands be the suck too. @Hines57 be say so at least 17 times per game... prior to kickoff.

but, i have it on gooderest authority that Najee the suck and LittleHands be the suck too. @Hines57 be say so at least 17 times per game... prior to kickoff.
I have been critical of Harris, he's had alot of dud games but he has shown what he is capable of, just frustrating when there isn't any consistency. A solid running attack needs to be relatively reliable week in and week out.
Najee was about 1 game from being benched last year but he came around at the end of the year and had a few great games, if they can figure out how to get his to play his best football on a more consistent basis this team will be a nightmare for defenses. I can't Imagine a world where the rookies don't have a huge impact on the ground game.

Well considering they've been middle of the pack for a long time and from the looks of it are getting the jump on power football cycling back up on a much softer pass happy league,I'd say the chances are better than average.

I'd still like to have an all-pro center, but who knows.

Good health,having a decent start and really peaking at the right time late in the season.

Oh and did I say good health late in the year. I'd like to see better conditioning and season prep for the starters. Don't need a bunch of pulled muscles when it gets real.

The steelers have a super bowl caliber team with just 2 question marks. Pickett and Canada.

Pickett was Ok for a rookie in a limited offense. he had his moments but it was still far from great. The offense was so bland it was tough to judge him.

First Canada threw Ben under the bus. He just wasn't mobile enough to run his special plays. So then he gets Pickett and one would think that he had a large input in the pick.

Canada seemingly got a pass again by blaming the OL and lack of weapons to truly run his mythical offense. An offense that he has apparently yet to fully implement at any of his many coaching stops.

No more excuses now. He has his QB, the OL is upgraded, they added WRs, they added another blocking TE. If it's week 5 and they are still running remedial ****, then they better fire Canada. You can't waste years of Pickett's development.

I’m optimistic despite having the Steelers stomp on my heart many times over the last decade. KP has the ‘It’ factor. Benchmarking last years performance he will need to improve, but where he will need to improve is above the neck, and from day one that’s supposed to be his strength…his knowledge, work ethic.

I hope these young guys are buying into the hype. The Steelers have been getting a lot of buzz thanks the the draft, and while it can often be dangerous to inflate the egos of these young athletes…I think the Steelers recent approach of building a “family” like team, that’s how you keep these young egos in check. And I LOVE the fact that JPJ will be there to remind the other rookies what it means to be a Steeler.

If KP makes a year two jump and key players are healthy they are a playoff team. Wildcard unless the Bengals take big injuries. They would need a lot of the new players to pay off big to be more than that. I'd say of non playoff teams they have best chances of making real noise.
My real concern with this team is they have a lot of weight put on inexperienced players and guys with injury history. All these early pick guys are great on paper but there is always adjustment to the pro game and the rookie wall.
Everytime I think about Canada returning I shake my head. The team made a lot of good offseason moves but it really makes you question what they saw there.
Quoted the first one for absolute TRUTH.

Canada was brought back simply because it's year two of Kenny frigg'n Pickett. If you bring in another OC then it's yet another learning year for the young buck and the Steelers aren't an organization that adapts well to change.

They will play better overall than last year but I still think their record will be around 9-8. 10-7 is the best I see them doing. They are in a tough division and that will go a long way toward their final record. We'll have to give them 5 or 6 games into the season to see what kind of team they will be. By then, we will also know how bad Canaduh will be and how much we will have to endure for the entire season as they won't fire him mid-season.

Canada was brought back simply because it's year two of Kenny frigg'n Pickett. If you bring in another OC then it's yet another learning year for the young buck and the Steelers aren't an organization that adapts well to change.
I totally agree that was the reason. Continuity. But if the continuity is shity performance how do you justify that. The offense in the first half of games with Big Ben in was historically bad. I think they will be better in the red zone with the big bodies they brought in but I still expect most of their wins will be 17-14 type games.

I totally agree that was the reason. Continuity. But if the continuity is shity performance how do you justify that. The offense in the first half of games with Big Ben in was historically bad. I think they will be better in the red zone with the big bodies they brought in but I still expect most of their wins will be 17-14 type games.
And if that's the case, Canaduh has to be fired. Even if the team tries to run more, they have to be able to average 21+ per game and really should get 21 in every game and that's coming from the O and not counting and D or ST scores.

They have made some nice upgrades to the OL and I like our RB room and Pickett and Pickens should be better, but if Canada can't prove he can/will push the ball down the field on 1st and 2nd down it will be more offensive ineptitude and wasting of young cheap talent on their 1st, cheap contracts, I wish I could be optimistic. It's infuriating Rooney would rather waste his window with offensive stars on cheap contracts to save on 1 year of eating Canada's contract

I understand the logic of bringing back Canada for continuity. But I feel that’s an even bigger reason to fire Canada. I’d rather Kenny start over right now with a good OC and QB coach rather than waste another season in this simple Tecmo Bowl offense and have to start fro scratch for year 3.

My biggest fear is that with the defense and the improved OL and run game, that Canada is able to once again scratch out just enough points that the Steelers win 9 or 10 and Kenny looks a little better so Canada survives again for 2024.

I have to say "scary good" or I would have to kick my own ***. But, seriously, outside of the factors like injuries that one can't control, I feel like a lot of it is still going to come down to Canada (for better or worse). I do think Khan and Wiedl have done a great job in free agency and the draft (from the top of the roster to the bottom).

They have made some nice upgrades to the OL and I like our RB room and Pickett and Pickens should be better, but if Canada can't prove he can/will push the ball down the field on 1st and 2nd down it will be more offensive ineptitude and wasting of young cheap talent on their 1st, cheap contracts, I wish I could be optimistic. It's infuriating Rooney would rather waste his window with offensive stars on cheap contracts to save on 1 year of eating Canada's contract
Rooneys are cheap and loyal to an infuriating degree, hence a decade plus of mediocre Mike and his post season embarrassments. They don't care about championships its all about the bottom line. I would bet the literal house against him ever winning another superbowl.

Still a TON of question marks on this team:

1. A QB that was 'ok' as a rookie going into a sophomore year.
2. We have the worst OC in the NFL.
3. The OL is still a work in progress; LT will still be a weakness to start the year, the center position was not upgraded, depth has improved.
4. The defense is still weak up the middle. That could be improved with better ILB play, but I'll wait and see.
5. Rookie CBs get picked on a lot for a reason, they're rookies. There is tons of potential at CB that may be at least another year away from being realized.

Rooneys are cheap and loyal to an infuriating degree, hence a decade plus of mediocre Mike and his post season embarrassments. They don't care about championships its all about the bottom line. I would bet the literal house against him ever winning another superbowl.
Not trying to ruin your narrative, but Tomlin is the 5th highest paid coach in the NFL this year… if tgey were cheap, they would have swapped him out for a young cheap guy…. The difference between Tomlin and a cheap option is about 8 or 9 million dollars… an expensive OC or DC can cost the same as a cheaper head coach…but they averaged around a million dollars each … tge Steelers do have a couple fewer assistants than some of the nfl teams, but overall they aren’t spending nothing on the coaching staff…