• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Are the Steelers gonna be scary or awful? Which way do yinz lean?

Everytime I think about Canada returning I shake my head. The team made a lot of good offseason moves but it really makes you question what they saw there.
This is the scariest part of the upcoming season. Coach Canada running the offense...

This is the scariest part of the upcoming season. Coach Canada running the offense...

berm, you are not alone in this fear. I have seen you in both worlds to know you are legitimate in your thoughts.

Salute the nation

berm, you are not alone in this fear. I have seen you in both worlds to know you are legitimate in your thoughts.

Salute the nation
My question is this. If it goes shity in the first 8 games to they throw up their hands and say hmm well. I don't want to throw away a promising season on this guy. He.was basically under seige last year.

My question is this. If it goes shity in the first 8 games to they throw up their hands and say hmm well. I don't want to throw away a promising season on this guy. He.was basically under seige last year.

IF that offense is sputtering after game 4, you pull O’Canada from calling plays. NOW is the time to start quiz-ing his replacement and tuning him for game action should the sputter occurs. Have a plan in place. don’t wait and then be
re-active, pull up the big boys and be PRO-ACTIVE.

Salute the nation

IF that offense is sputtering after game 4, you pull O’Canada from calling plays. NOW is the time to start quiz-ing his replacement and tuning him for game action should the sputter occurs. Have a plan in place. don’t wait and then be

Salute the nation
Agreed but never happening.

I think we'll do alright this year (7-9 wins) but I'm also pretty sure we're third or tied third for the worst roster in the AFC North. The Browns and Bengals (on paper) both look better than us. The Ravens have holes but, in theory, have a top tier QB to make up for that. Our ILB & CB play could be the difference in our season for good or bad, as could our depth at OLB. I think the offense will be pretty solid barring injuries but the D could get average really quickly. I'm hoping like hell that they have a plan, a real plan for the weird mismatch of pieces that we have. Forced to play man on one side and zone on the other because of personnel, because no one is going to figure that out, and then hope that no one throws the ball over the middle or to the tight end. It could get really ugly. I hope not.

I said way back when the season ended (and probably before that), they will know by game 6. If this O isn't clicking on all cylinders, or close to it, by then, Canaduh should be gone. BUT, we all know Canaduh will be here until the end of the year even if he pulls the entire no-huddle offense out once again and goes run, run, pass on every series. He is here for the year, good or bad.

I said way back when the season ended (and probably before that), they will know by game 6. If this O isn't clicking on all cylinders, or close to it, by then, Canaduh should be gone. BUT, we all know Canaduh will be here until the end of the year even if he pulls the entire no-huddle offense out once again and goes run, run, pass on every series. He is here for the year, good or bad.

I hear yaz TDX27 !

It’s frustrating how poor O’Canada is and yet still here. The NFL isn’t a “On the Job” experience venture, Our team, Pickett cheap years, Cam’s final years have and are Bering wasted in the “Learning Curve” of the O’Canada.

Last year was a very obvious lack of offensive tact / identity / flow of game play calling / in game adjustments / scheme open players and position for individual wins………….

O’Canada is by fare my biggest fear and by far the ONE who needs the biggest step up.

Salute the nation

I think we'll do alright this year (7-9 wins) but I'm also pretty sure we're third or tied third for the worst roster in the AFC North. The Browns and Bengals (on paper) both look better than us. The Ravens have holes but, in theory, have a top tier QB to make up for that. Our ILB & CB play could be the difference in our season for good or bad, as could our depth at OLB. I think the offense will be pretty solid barring injuries but the D could get average really quickly. I'm hoping like hell that they have a plan, a real plan for the weird mismatch of pieces that we have. Forced to play man on one side and zone on the other because of personnel, because no one is going to figure that out, and then hope that no one throws the ball over the middle or to the tight end. It could get really ugly. I hope not.
I disagree with the notion of who has a better roster. What the Bengals have is a great QB-WR combo, what the clowns and the rats have is questionable overhyped QBs. Steelers have a question mark with Canada and Pickett on how much either will improve. I think the arrow is pointing up for Kenny. For me that doesn't mean from the top down one of those teams has a better roster. Steelers had a fantastic offseason yet still get this viewpoint from a significant amount of fans. We'll see how it all shakes out. This young team just may surprise a few of the doubters.

Barring serious injury to key players, I think better than last year.
Roster is better, KP has a year of experience, but Flores is gone and the OC and DC are both ****.
11-6, the usual first round playoff loss, second in the division behind the Bungles.

We will see how the roster turnover impacts this team. We are deeper at some positions and in theory Pickett should improve in year 2. Canada and his ****** game plans + play calling should be the most worrisome part for the offense. Defensively we are much improved at DL, signed some short term band aids at MLB and the secondary is a question mark depending on how quickly PeezySon can start and also what P2 has left in the tank.

Just watched some Kenny highlights last night. 90% of his big plays were caught by Pickens or Freiermuth. Lets hope they both stay upright.

I’m convinced that Shades is pathologically averse to change.

Salute the nation
My fuse is shorter...if the offense still looks like trash after game 2 - can O'Canada - period the end...

My fuse is shorter...if the offense still looks like trash after game 2 - can O'Canada - period the end...

Let's reintroduce a chant borrowed from the political side!

Can Canada?
AWAAQAHQ-P644618.jpg

But it's not gonna happen,

Last edited:
My fuse is shorter...if the offense still looks like trash after game 2 - can O'Canada - period the end.

I'm with you here. The team invested a lot of money and can't go 2-6 like this past season and expect to keep pace with BAL, CIN and even CLE. O'Can's leash needs to be short and actually be a choke collar.

I think there HAS to be noticeable improvement for both Pickett and Canada. I think there is plenty you could pin on both of them from last season. Canada needs to call a better game. Pickett needs to improve his reads and progressions. He missed a lot of open guys last year locking onto one guy. And they both need to stop trying to force the ball to Johnson.
Canada is what he is. He was, at best, an average OC in college and it's hard to expect him to be any better in the NFL. The entire Steelers offensive philosophy has held back quarterbacks ever since Haley was let go. It's really up to individual players stepping up and improving because Canada will not consistently put the players in position to excel.

Canada is what he is. He was, at best, an average OC in college and it's hard to expect him to be any better in the NFL. The entire Steelers offensive philosophy has held back quarterbacks ever since Haley was let go. It's really up to individual players stepping up and improving because Canada will not consistently put the players in position to excel.
Aside from not winning many playoff games, my big knock on Shades is that he hires mostly lousy assistants.
His two best coordinators were Haley and LeBeau, the only two he didn't hire.

Aside from not winning many playoff games, my big knock on Shades is that he hires mostly lousy assistants.
His two best coordinators were Haley and LeBeau, the only two he didn't hire.

What about the OL coach (can’t remember his name of the top of my head), He went to Denver when he left here.

Salute the nation

What about the OL coach (can’t remember his name of the top of my head), He went to Denver when he left here.
Mike Munchak, he was very good. Moved to Denver to be closer to family.

And we all know Ben and the O were at their best (especially with Canaduh) when Ben was improvising and even drawing up his own plays. KP may have to do the same.

And we all know Ben and the O were at their best (especially with Canaduh) when Ben was improvising and even drawing up his own plays. KP may have to do the same.

O’Canada proved his worth, to me, when he handcuffed a HOF quarterback from calling audibles. It was O’Canada’s way of force feeding his offensive scheme to a HOFer who knew better to the demise of the offense. Coach Tomlin is just as high on this cluster-**** OC and actions to date.

Salute the nation

Who actually hired him, was it Coach Tomlin or FO ?
Don't know. Assuming it was Shades, that would be about his only good hire I can think of.
LeBeau - Already DC.
Haley - Hired by Dan Rooney.
Arians - Already here as WR coach, Shades promoted him to OC largely because that's what Ben wanted.
Fichtner - Ben's buddy.
Canaduh - Ben's buddy.
Butler - Already here but didn't freaking matter because Shades runs the D anyway.
Austin - Already here and Shades knows him.
Smith - Been here forever and sucks, proving that Shades would rather have lousy assistants that he knows instead of hiring someone new.