• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Are the Steelers gonna be scary or awful? Which way do yinz lean?

Everytime I think about Canada returning I shake my head. The team made a lot of good offseason moves but it really makes you question what they saw there.

When Tomlin was coming back after average sub - years I’d be shaking my head. Now that head shaking has transferred to O’Canada with my hands around his neck, doing the shaking.!!!

Salute the nation

I think it all hinges on Pickett and Matt Canada. I am one who is wary of Pickett's "improvement" the second half of the season. Sure, he limited TO's and even had two game winning drives but the competition for six of those 8 game was bottom tier and I would have expected more and better from him against those teams. I know Matt Canada is a factor here, so it makes it hard to really evaluate where Canada ends and Pickett begins.

That said, there is no reason for the same mediocrity we saw last year. The OL has been upgraded. Seriously upgraded. New offensive weapons have been added. The defense has been upgraded, even if only by the fact that Spillane and Bush will not be patrolling the middle at all, but there are new faces that should improve the defense, especially from the rookie class.

If Pickett can make a jump forward from last year, I think this team is good enough to win 11 or 12 games. If they trot out the same bullshit from last year, I can see another 9-8 or 8-9 season. The schedule is favorable for success. There are no excuses this year.

I think it all hinges on Pickett and Matt Canada. I am one who is wary of Pickett's "improvement" the second half of the season. Sure, he limited TO's and even had two game winning drives but the competition for six of those 8 game was bottom tier and I would have expected more and better from him against those teams. I know Matt Canada is a factor here, so it makes it hard to really evaluate where Canada ends and Pickett begins.

That said, there is no reason for the same mediocrity we saw last year. The OL has been upgraded. Seriously upgraded. New offensive weapons have been added. The defense has been upgraded, even if only by the fact that Spillane and Bush will not be patrolling the middle at all, but there are new faces that should improve the defense, especially from the rookie class.

If Pickett can make a jump forward from last year, I think this team is good enough to win 11 or 12 games. If they trot out the same bullshit from last year, I can see another 9-8 or 8-9 season. The schedule is favorable for success. There are no excuses this year.
This is fair. I will add though thinking back over players careers many hit their strides in year 3. I want to say Kenny won't necessarily peak this year. But there should be noticable improvement. Then there is crayon eating Canada who is who we think he is. The team will continue to have scheme challenging moments with him steering the ship. It isn't if but to what degree. Hopefully not to the degree that it stunts Kenny's growth.

KP is in his 2nd year - his first offseason as a pro and getting the first-team reps. He should have a significant jump in play but many still want to try and label him after a partial year or even after this coming year. You really need to wait until after year 3 to get a true sense of where his career is going (especially if the O struggles and Canaduh is gone). He had one of the worst OL's last year and probably the worst OC's in the NFL. Canaduh has to open the full playbook and have a full no-huddle reinstituted (that he completely removed in Ben's last year) for this O to excel. If KP is put in good positions this year, I am confident he will play well. But, to me, Canaduh is still the biggest question mark and if the O struggles, he will be gone (or should be) and KP will have to break in a new OC in his 3rd season.

Not trying to ruin your narrative, but Tomlin is the 5th highest paid coach in the NFL this year… if tgey were cheap, they would have swapped him out for a young cheap guy…. The difference between Tomlin and a cheap option is about 8 or 9 million dollars… an expensive OC or DC can cost the same as a cheaper head coach…but they averaged around a million dollars each … tge Steelers do have a couple fewer assistants than some of the nfl teams, but overall they aren’t spending nothing on the coaching staff…
I know Tomlin gets paid, I think better/ higher salary coordinator to replace canada would be money well spent. Its not a narrative, the Steelers don't pay players like other team do.

KP is in his 2nd year - his first offseason as a pro and getting the first-team reps. He should have a significant jump in play but many still want to try and label him after a partial year or even after this coming year. You really need to wait until after year 3 to get a true sense of where his career is going (especially if the O struggles and Canaduh is gone). He had one of the worst OL's last year and probably the worst OC's in the NFL. Canaduh has to open the full playbook and have a full no-huddle reinstituted (that he completely removed in Ben's last year) for this O to excel. If KP is put in good positions this year, I am confident he will play well. But, to me, Canaduh is still the biggest question mark and if the O struggles, he will be gone (or should be) and KP will have to break in a new OC in his 3rd season.
The Steelers have run an unfriendly QB scheme for four straight years. They have to combat the defense and the scheme. We've seen, what, 4-5 different QBs struggle to produce with similar issues. The big-play receivers are handcuffed and the play design doesn't allow for yards after catch or to use the middle of the field. I really hope they take a different approach to help put these young players in position to succeed.

I think they improved and will see a dramatic mature turn around. I don’t see a championship team. I am think they’re still a season or two away, but Khan/Tomlin are building the new franchise with Kenny as the centerpiece

The Steelers have run an unfriendly QB scheme for four straight years. They have to combat the defense and the scheme. We've seen, what, 4-5 different QBs struggle to produce with similar issues. The big-play receivers are handcuffed and the play design doesn't allow for yards after catch or to use the middle of the field. I really hope they take a different approach to help put these young players in position to succeed.

Big nail, Big Hammer,……. DIRECTLY on head.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is exactly is what’s going to hold this team back, the O’Canada syndrome !!

If the offensive scheme isn’t drastically improved, you will have same o’l same o’l only with more actual clock time per play as the OL will be able to hold their blocks a little longer.

I get the HEAVY run orientation they seem to be headed, and I most certainly applaud that factor. They need to be able to pass as well and O’Canada’s offensive scheme hinders that production.

We most certainly improved as a team’s player approach, so let’s not forget the teams coaching approach……… OC needs to show vast improvement in play design and play calling.

I see some splash, but where’s the water ?

Salute the nation

They just need to keep it simple. Build upon what they did at the end of last season but don't reinvent the wheel. I hope the new line can gel quickly and it doesnt take half a season to come together. I think we can be a good team, but not elite yet. I think we can win in the playoffs, but not sure we have the firepower to compete with the top teams

Saw an article about B. Jones... The first 3 guys are Garret, Crosby, and Bosa. Wonder if they will throw him into the fire or rotate

Saw an article about B. Jones... The first 3 guys are Garret, Crosby, and Bosa. Wonder if they will throw him into the fire or rotate

Why wouldn’t Jones start? Dan Moore started day one and NOT near as adequate as Jones IS.

Fire and let him roast those ***-holes.

Salute the nation

Why wouldn’t Jones start? Dan Moore started day one and NOT near as adequate as Jones IS.

Fire and let him roast those ***-holes.

Salute the nation
He has the ability to be capable but I prefer they didn't force feed him in. Let him show ready. If he shows ready early sure. Good thing is the Steelers have a good enough pass rush to be able to see early how far along he is by preseason end.

Yep, those pigeons look way too comfortable in the middle of the field.

I know Tomlin gets paid, I think better/ higher salary coordinator to replace canada would be money well spent. Its not a narrative, the Steelers don't pay players like other team do.
Really? When was the last time the Steelers were anywhere near the bottom of salaries paid? They typically are in the middle but so damn near the top it really doesn’t matter..In 2021 their money spent was fourth highest in the league… they routinely have players that get top of position salaries…Troy, AB, Mincah, TJ just off tge top of my head… Ben retired as tge third highest paid player of all time…

The Steelers being cheap is a narrative… facts never supported it… they just aren’t usually stupid with their money…

Really? When was the last time the Steelers were anywhere near the bottom of salaries paid? They typically are in the middle but so damn near the top it really doesn’t matter..In 2021 their money spent was fourth highest in the league… they routinely have players that get top of position salaries…Troy, AB, Mincah, TJ just off tge top of my head… Ben retired as tge third highest paid player of all time…

The Steelers being cheap is a narrative… facts never supported it… they just aren’t usually stupid with their money…

Even before the salary cap, they seemed to bring in who they needed to.

Cowher had to deal with short revenue due to stadium windfall, but he also was great at replacing top talent with top talent.

But the Rooney’s as a whole, were not deemed cheap, contrary to what some think.

Salute the nation

Even before the salary cap, they seemed to bring in who they needed to.

Cowher had to deal with short revenue due to stadium windfall, but he also was great at replacing top talent with top talent.

But the Rooney’s as a whole, were not deemed cheap, contrary to what some think.

Salute the nation

You gotta be cheapskates for Big Ben to call you out publicly.

But you guys would know better than Ben;)

You gotta be cheapskates for Big Ben to call you out publicly.

But you guys would know better than Ben;)
He stated that wasn't their approach all of the time... Regardless if they don't sign those high dollar guys, the majority of the time they are up against the cap. So taking a cheaper free agency approach still doesn't make the team cheapskates in general. I think you didn't decipher what he meant well.

This is fair. I will add though thinking back over players careers many hit their strides in year 3. I want to say Kenny won't necessarily peak this year. But there should be noticable improvement. Then there is crayon eating Canada who is who we think he is. The team will continue to have scheme challenging moments with him steering the ship. It isn't if but to what degree. Hopefully not to the degree that it stunts Kenny's growth.
I think there HAS to be noticeable improvement for both Pickett and Canada. I think there is plenty you could pin on both of them from last season. Canada needs to call a better game. Pickett needs to improve his reads and progressions. He missed a lot of open guys last year locking onto one guy. And they both need to stop trying to force the ball to Johnson.

They pay Their Own players like the best of them. They don't spend in free agents and I agree with that policy but they do keep their own and pay them handsomely, that brings a locker room culture of rewarding the best thus making players want to stay. Do you have any idea how a high salary guy from free agency can disrupt the balance of a roster that already is tight and focused? Imagine if that guy is also a diva *****? I like the Steelers way