• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Are the Steelers too undisciplined?

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Ok, it’s early in the season for a thread that almost assuredly is going to get dragged into a giant Bash Tomlin fest… but this topic needs debated

Just this week we saw a testy exchange between Jpjr and Pickens where Pickens, after making a ridiculous catch, taunted Jpjr by handing him the football…
…then an article talking about how the Steelers lead the league over the past 3 seasons in unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and fines by a wide margin came out…
… not ten minutes ago I read a tweet about a 3rd string safety getting a taunting penalty in practice…

Is this something that needs cracked down on… its been epidemic for a long time now.. and it costs us games… we get enough bullshit 15 yard penalties without taking stupid needless ones… remember Marcus Allen last year… or a dozen times for Claypool?

Naw...This is the age we live in, best get used to it...people gonna speak their mind, flaunt & taunt, & talk trash...

I got 2 ladies huffing & puffing at my job & ready to exchange blows this morning....

Naw...This is the age we live in, best get used to it...people gonna speak their mind, flaunt & taunt, & talk trash...

I got 2 ladies huffing & puffing at my job & ready to exchange blows this morning....
Did you instigate the argument? Nothing better than watching two chicks go at it. :LOL:

I disagree with your point. All 32 NFL teams have the same player make up for the most part. Tomlin is known for being a player's coach, but he takes it too far. This team is definitely undisciplined.

It is a fine line between having fun and a flag. This team definitely jumps over it too much. It starts at the top and yes Tomlin is accountable.

I remember anthony Smith high stepping into the end zone after a pick and Dick Le Beau destroying him for it on the sideline… and cowher ripping into guys for selfish plays… i think the Young money era ended that mindset…

Hey things happen in the heat of battle and sometimes guys lose control… but it is different if its a guy cheap shotting you and you just trying to show up the other team…

Like Cam Heyward retaliating against a cheap olineman… you’d rather him not… but that is excusable… Marcus Allen taunting the other sideline, however… that guy should have been cut on the spot

One of Tomlin's weak spots of his coaching.

I hope they didn't beat you up too badly. Quick recovery!

Did you instigate the argument? Nothing better than watching two chicks go at it. :LOL:

I disagree with your point. All 32 NFL teams have the same player make up for the most part. Tomlin is known for being a player's coach, but he takes it too far. This team is definitely undisciplined.

Yeah, I get you...But, management styles totally differ....Phil Jackson was the Master at handling personalities & characters...And of course Superstars get away with WAAAAYYYY more...

History shows Tomlin was THE ONLY COACH to get sustained production from Antonio Brown...Belicheck didn't, Gruden couldn't & neither did Arians...

That speaks for itself. A lot of the stuff is just childish narcissistic ego driven bullshit.

That crap doesn't win games and only makes you look like a horses *** to the adults and true professionals.

It doesn't win championships, **** they haven't even won a playoff game in so long that I forget what it's like.

At some point I hope they can man up, put the childish stuff aside and act like grown men.

Training camp can get monotonous, especially when it's hot. Some of this stuff amps up the competition and keeps the intensity high. The problem is some of these guys won't flip the switch when they get into the games and that's when it becomes a problem. Obviously the coaching staff needs to keep this under control, but this team also hasn't had strong locker room leadership in recent years either. Don't get me wrong, Heyward is a great player and clear leader of the defense, but he doesn't bring the same qualities and traits as guys like Bettis, Farrior, Polamalu, etc.

I don’t like this behavior, never did. Been this way since shades took over.
Play smart, play hard, don’t play stupid and take penalties that affect the team not just the player.

Yeah, I get you...But, management styles totally differ....Phil Jackson was the Master at handling personalities & characters...And of course Superstars get away with WAAAAYYYY more...

History shows Tomlin was THE ONLY COACH to get sustained production from Antonio Brown...Belicheck didn't, Gruden couldn't & neither did Arians...
I gotta say it. That AB example comparing Tomlin to the others is frigging ridiculous.

It's tomlins marshmallow world. There is a song about it. A marshmallow environment.

That speaks for itself. A lot of the stuff is just childish narcissistic ego driven bullshit.

That crap doesn't win games and only makes you look like a horses *** to the adults and true professionals.

It doesn't win championships, **** they haven't even won a playoff game in so long that I forget what it's like.

At some point I hope they can man up, put the childish stuff aside and act like grown men.

It starts at the top and for players,…….. that’s the Head Coach.

Salute the nation

I gotta say it. That AB example comparing Tomlin to the others is frigging ridiculous.
And I gotta say this…Tomlin is the ONLY coach to be able to handle AB’s ego, mental illness, stupidity & get undisputed HOF worthy production from him.

Facts…

Last edited:

Thats ridiculous.
AB was drafted by the Steelers in the 6th round. The Steelers were his first team. When a player is drafted into the NFL, they strive to succeed. It wasn't until much later when success went to his head, that he became uncoachable.
Had any coach drafted him they would have had the same success as Tomlin. Nothing special about Tomlin in that regard.

Thats ridiculous.
AB was drafted by the Steelers in the 6th round. The Steelers were his first team. When a player is drafted into the NFL, they strive to succeed. It wasn't until much later when success went to his head, that he became uncoachable.
Had any coach drafted him they would have had the same success as Tomlin. Nothing special about Tomlin in that regard.
Simply can’t give the man his due, nor any credit for managing personalities and coaching eh ?

The hate for Tomlin on this board is what’s ridiculous…

Last edited:
Simply can’t give the man his due, nor any credit for managing personalities and coaching eh ?

The hate for Tomlin on this board is what’s ridiculous…

Obviously Tomlin wasn't good enough at managing AB's personality, now was he?....otherwise he might still be a Steeler, or at least lasted a few more years.
And that isn't a knock on Tomlin. AB was a head case. And I don't hate Tomlin.

Perhaps you weren't aware of AB's repeated sideline tantrums, being confrontational towards Ben, not showing up for a game.
He wanted out. Picking up where he left off in Pittsburgh, he took that s h i t to his new team(s).... and you criticize these other coaches for their inability to get the same kind of production from Brown as Tomlin did?

Obviously Tomlin wasn't good enough at managing AB's personality, now was he?....otherwise he might still be a Steeler, or at least lasted a few more years.
And that isn't a knock on Tomlin. AB was a head case. And I don't hate Tomlin.

Perhaps you weren't aware of AB's repeated sideline tantrums, being confrontational towards Ben, not showing up for a game.
He wanted out. Picking up where he left off in Pittsburgh, he took that s h i t to his new team(s).... and you criticize these other coaches for their inability to get the same kind of production from Brown as Tomlin did?
We're talking about the last three years, and for what it's worth (Buffalo Springfield,) AB was not a problem until he became our best wide receiver and one of the best in the league if not the best. The team obviously tried to contain and put up with it. Eventually it failed but it wasn't because of our coaching staff, we saw what happened when he was traded.

This is completely different, we're not talking one problem player who had a hall of fame trajectory. If you asked 10 years ago who had the most unsportsmanlike penalties, that was an easy answer. The Bengals.

Three years straight for unsportsmanlike conduct, wow and no friggin excuse for MT.

I wasn't aware of this and thank you Madin for posting it.