• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Are there any left?

Rooney tells Tomlin, " I can't fire you, but you can resign".
Tomlin still has next year on his contract, so I doubt Deuce wants to pay him for that. On the other hand, if you listen to all those saying that MT's the greatest coach in football, he would have no problem being hired immediately by another team, eliminating the need for the Steelers to pay him for next year.

I should known back in 2017. Having a team with a 1,500 yard receiver, a 1,400 yard RB averaging 4.9 a carry and HOF QB losing to Blake Bortles in Pittsburgh should have cemented his legacy 7 years ago. The same coach who lost to Tim Tebow in the playoffs several years before. The same coach who just lost to 2 of the 3 worst teams in the league in consecutive weeks at home. The same coach who consistently loses to lesser competition each and every season. THE SAME COACH.

I should known back in 2017. Having a team with a 1,500 yard receiver, a 1,400 yard RB averaging 4.9 a carry and HOF QB losing to Blake Bortles in Pittsburgh should have cemented his legacy 7 years ago. The same coach who lost to Tim Tebow in the playoffs several years before. The same coach who just lost to 2 of the 3 worst teams in the league in consecutive weeks at home. The same coach who consistently loses to lesser competition each and every season. THE SAME COACH.
The same coach who was suppose to be some kind of defensive genius that couldn't stop Bortles one time lol.

2017 the same year the same coach was on national TV before the Jags playoff game talking about NE vs Pittsburgh part 2.

Excuses have run out many a moon ago. There will always be an excuse of some kind, but the bottom line is what you do inspite of that excuse. Obviously, HC Tomlin can’t do much, and revels in the excuse so as not to be responsible.

Salute the nation

Tomlin apologist??? It's funny alot of people here, on social media, on sports talk radio (callers and host) said Ben was holding this organization, Tomlin, and Canada back for a few years (IDIOTS). Then it was, well Tomlin deserves to get a QB and start over, after that it was well Canada is holding us back, we need to fire him, blah, blah, blah.

Are there any people that actually think Tomlin shouldn't go, are there anymore excuses for him?

You will always have some who will defend him to the death no matter what. The media guys on tv do it and I just chuckle at them.

I get why, but people have to look past that ****. It's the Pittsburgh Steelers, not the Pittsburgh Tomlins.

What is best for the team should always be No.1!

We're really stacking up the years here of the same exact thing and outcomes and same problems.

same coach that gave up 42, 48, 45, 36 in their past 4 playoff games

It's that sad? We go from being badasses to being a mirage.

I'm so glad I won't be watching a lick of football this weekend.

It's amazing how many are still left. Trust me, the Rich Eisens, Mike Greenburg, the national media will not change their tune. They love Tomlin, not sure why but they won't ever say a bad word about the guy. It's actually weird.

Earlier this year, Eisen went as far as to say anyone who suggests Tomlin should be fired is dumb.

I guess winning a playoff game every so often is too much to ask.

That was the last time I watched his podcast on YouTube, after watching it daily for a long time. **** him.

I had thought for me the final straw was the dumpster-fire playoff loss to the Browns where we pooped the bed in the 1st quarter. With Blake Bortles and the Jags playoff loss still fresh in our collective memory. And the pattern of losing to inferior teams year after year after year.

But I returned. Hope had risen anew after our nice little preseason, even spent big $$$ on the NFLST this year.

Should’ve known better.

There has definitely been a lot of straws.

The back of my Steelers fandom is pretty much shattered to dust at this point.

I still like Tomlin. I still think he can figure it out. I also wouldn’t be opposed to him retiring. I am also annoyed I have to defend my liking Tomlin and be called an apologist for it.
And you do repeatedly; he can be a good man and the wrong guy to coach the Steelers NOW -- for obvious reasons visible to all -- like both Noll and Cowher were.

Folks need to able to separate performance accountability from nice guy/feelings of comfort.

Do some of you realize it isn't so much Tomlin apologists as...what the hell are we gonna do about it? I want one of you to answer that. What exactly can we do to impact who is the Steelers head coach?

The hard truth is we can't do a damn thing. Being that is the case, you are left with 2 options. Try to find positives and have hope or be miserable and ***** and moan all the time. So don't confuse trying to be positive, because we have no control over it, with being a Tomlin apologist.

And if you all get the 100% compliance you seek...everyone who posts on this board wants Tomlin fired (you got me, I want him fired), then what? Are we any closer to it than before? There shouldn't be any explanations required.

I have always question that too Mad. You can go back to my older posts years ago and see I questioned why they always had the injuries. It's always something. Do you remember years ago when Tomlin got criticized for pushing the team too hard? Too hard on them at practice... Man that was a long time ago.

The whole thing from Tomlin down needs dumped and rebuilt. It's never been elite. It's never been cutting edge. The only time this team has been a contender is if they had HOF talent on both sides of the ball. Especially at QB.

Stop and think about how many times over the years Tomlin was out coached in games. Hope you have all day because it's a LONG list.
It's much easier to list the games when Tomlin has outcoached the opponent.....were they his calls on all Ben's comeback wins? On KFP's 4th Q comebacks? On the D turnovers that caused wins like the one Minkah gets credit for earlier this year?

If the response is "....well he gets credit as the HC for all the good stuff, then the mirror of all that is the accountability for wasting most of Ben's career, Heath's, Heyward's, Watt's, etc."

When will The Deuce speak to Steeler Nation about the clear underperformance of the team on his watch?

Do some of you realize it isn't so much Tomlin apologists as...what the hell are we gonna do about it? I want one of you to answer that. What exactly can we do to impact who is the Steelers head coach?

The hard truth is we can't do a damn thing. Being that is the case, you are left with 2 options. Try to find positives and have hope or be miserable and ***** and moan all the time. So don't confuse trying to be positive, because we have no control over it, with being a Tomlin apologist.

It's a message board, dude.

If discussion/criticism was limited to the things within our control, this place would be a ghost town.

In terms of the big picture, it's getting harder and harder to find positives with the Tomlin-led Steelers.

That is if winning Superbowls (or at least getting close to them) is the goal and not just avoiding losing seasons.

Back to back losses, at home no less, to teams that have 2 wins.

If that doesn't get him fired, nothing will.

Earlier this year, Eisen went as far as to say anyone who suggests Tomlin should be fired is dumb.

I guess winning a playoff game every so often is too much to ask.

That was the last time I watched his podcast on YouTube, after watching it daily for a long time. **** him.

I'm sorry but Rich Eisen doesn't know dick about this team, he can **** the right off.

Society's biggest failing for the past few decades has been the "agreeableness" of good people to accept poor performance from leadership, and to buy into the continual excuses for each iterative failure. This is just like that, except the powerless posters here all have a very good idea of what the Steelers are, should be and their many failings over the past decade plus.

So you you can choose to point out that Mitch made a great QB sneak to score, or note that he should have been picked 3 times in the first half, and the one that the *pats did get cost 7 points and effectively lost the game. Or you can point that Mitch had 30 yards in rushing to lead the team, or point out the recently improved running game **** the bed vs superior coaching. You can point out the Mitch heaved a nice ball on 4th and short on the Steelers last play or you can admit that it was a ******* dumbass low percentage brainfart that sealed the loss.

You can opine that Tomlin was doing his best in trusting Mitch, or you can open your eyes and say that that Bailey Zappe clearly and demonstrably outperformed due to coaching, scheme, playcalling, etc. just like Tebow, Bortles, Mayfield, etc.

But we should just be quiet, be grateful for Joe Greene, Lambert, Bradshaw, Roethlisberger, Watt, etc. while we watch the team Eagle team that fired their great coach Reid play in SBs against KC et al?

Tomlin absolutely squandered Ben's prime from 2011 - 2019. No argument here. Had the triple Bs and a stout D and won nothing.
However, make no mistake, Ben was cooked his final 2-3 years, especially the final two.
No matter what crayola / silly puddy offense anyone strung together, he was easy to scheme defensively because he couldn't stretch the field anymore and lost some zip.
And hey, this isn't me bagging on him. But when athletes' bodies go, they go.
No matter how much you take care of yourself, and exercise, and eat right, etc., whether you're a world class professional athlete or Joe Schmo, age wears out the body, and the body has a shelf life for peak performance.
Tomlin and the Steelers owe EVERY player from that decade of 2010 - 2020 an apology, including Ben, for squandering the talent they had and wasted.
But like someone already pointed out, the excuse gun is fully loaded ( fired OC mid-season, starting QB done for season, all ILBs lost to injury, Minkah and Cam missed multiple games, etc ) and the Steelers don't fire their head coaches.
The ONLY hope we have is the ol' Rooney special of not renewing his contract.
And I will lose my FN mind if that contract is renewed. It is LONG past time get a new coach in here.
The last two weeks is the most UN-Steeler thing I've EVER witnessed in my 45+ year fandom.
C'mon, surely you remember the start of the 89 season.

no ben wasn't what he was those last couple season's, but in 2020 after elbow surgery he still had 33 TD's and completed 66% of his passes, and he threw plenty of passes that year that showed he had enough zip on his passes, the Oline was garbage because we ignored it for years in the draft, that was the biggest difference between that Ben and prime Ben, he couldn't drag that **** oline up and down the field anymore. We've been running this **** conservative offense no matter who the QB has been or who the OC is, this is Tomlin's crap offense.

Hell 2021 vs Cincy, we called a screen to Harris on like 4th and 10, Tomlin said we ran out of plays, WTF?
NOT disputing he could still Houdini in the pocket, and do his sandlot football routine, and be clutch when needed, and make the correct throws to actual open receivers.
But you've pulled out the stats card with TDs and Comp %.
But that is equivalent to Shaq's FG % being good because of dunking.
What was his YPC that season? 8.5-ish, maybe 9.5ish?
His entire career before that, including his rookie season, averaged 12.5-ish.
You can blame some of that on Tomlin/Canada, but not all of it.
I'm not criticizing Ben's career, or his contribution to the organization.
But everyone gets old, and everyone's body fails them at some point.
And not everyone is comfortable cheating the system by taking steroids, HGH, and other banned substances and methods.
And every team has to make that uncomfortable decision of moving on from a Hall of Fame player when they can't do it like they used to.
It's far better to be proactive with those decisions than reactive after it's too late.

I'm over Tomlin since The Tebowing but if I was going to defend him I'd point to the way Bill Belichick's team came in and played last night. Of course Tomlin can't coach against himself every week either.
You don't HAVE to do anything. You be you and ******* own it brother

I do like Tomlin and the persona he brings to the table. Many players across the league want to play for him. However, when players may stupid mistakes you don't see them shying away from Tomlin as they did Cowher. Everyone always said, you see the jaw you know you screwed up. I remember Josh Miller making a bad punt and Cowher on camera (everyone could read his lips) saying "WTF was that!" Josh took the long way to the sideline to avoid Cowher. With all that said, I think Tomlin is known for his Tomlin-isms and players seem to talk about the meetings where you did not want to miss a word. If you are a great player, you get more coddling and are inspired. If you are so-so player needing coaching and inspiration, you may get silence.