• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Are there any left?

Art Rooney II will half to show his hand this offseason:

-Tomlin has one year left on his contract, he is always extended the offseason before it expires, but what about this time?

-will Tomlin be allowed to do another internal hire for OC from a staff that has no one remotely qualified for the job?
Best move would be for Deuce to tell Shades after the season “Let’s see how next year goes before we talk about an extension.”

Worked out great until it didnt. But each time, the Steelers had initial success.
That's not what I meant. People were calling for Chuck Noll's head pretty consistently during and after '88. There was even an SI article wondering if the game passed him by (Shula and Landry also). He was there for 3 more seasons. And we all remember the calls for Cowher to be gone after '98, '99, '00 and especially '04. That was my point. None of the angst got them gone when many wanted it.

Tomlin apologist??? It's funny alot of people here, on social media, on sports talk radio (callers and host) said Ben was holding this organization, Tomlin, and Canada back for a few years (IDIOTS). Then it was, well Tomlin deserves to get a QB and start over, after that it was well Canada is holding us back, we need to fire him, blah, blah, blah.

Are there any people that actually think Tomlin shouldn't go, are there anymore excuses for him?
I think I have figured out why Shades had success early and continues to flounder the longer he remains a head coach: (As much as some of you will call it "redundant" doesn't make it any less true):

1.) Shades inherited a Super Bowl caliber team, complete with players, coaches and team culture. It's not an indictment. It's no crime. He, in fact, took over a SB-winning team including veteran leaders, so he didn't have to worry about that aspect of the team. He had a plethora of legit leaders on that team, including Harrison, Ward, Miller, Hartwig, Aaron Smith, Keisel, Farrior, Ryan Clark.

2.) And they had a legit Hall of Famer QB, even though they seemingly tried to ruin his talent, he rose above the anal tendencies of pee-your pants offensive schemes to "rise above" them and produce in the 2nd half to pull out wins. Franchise, HoF QBs don't grow on trees as we are seeing 1st-hand.

So, in the conditions he arrives at the Steelers, with All Pros and leaders all over the place, he was well suited to take that team over. But as the leaders and Pro Bowlers retired, he had nothing left to offer. On his own, without veteran leaders, his entire organization has grown sloppy and lazy, something a bevvy of players have spoke out on, even a rookie QB , mentioned practices that lacked discipline. How many times do we see the team LINE UP wrong causing a flag? LINE UP wrong? That is a team discipline problem and it's been happening with more regularity as this s--t show continues. They are getting WORSE.

And of course, shopping for assistant coaches at the Micky Mouse store doesn't help. When your assistant coaches are decided by how good of buddies they are, and how little they threaten your authority, you end up with a s---t organization, which is exactly what we have now. We have a garbage head coach, not knowing how to even "lead himself," never mind the entire team. Yea, sure, the media is all onboard with the Tomlin fraud show, but alas it is just bunko, regardless how how many times the media pretends Shades is a legit stellar head coach. He ain't.

I still like Tomlin. I still think he can figure it out. I also wouldn’t be opposed to him retiring. I am also annoyed I have to defend my liking Tomlin and be called an apologist for it.
Yep....that is usually how coaches leave this organization. They retire.🙄 Canada was fired. Shockingly as it was.....let's hope Tomlin gets fired now also.

1.) Shades inherited a Super Bowl caliber team, complete with players, coaches and team culture. It's not an indictment. It's no crime. He, in fact, took over a SB-winning team including veteran leaders, so he didn't have to worry about that aspect of the team. He had a plethora of legit leaders on that team, including Harrison, Ward, Miller, Hartwig, Aaron Smith, Keisel, Farrior, Ryan Clark.
Pretty sure I even heard the announcers asking who the leader is on this offense during or after the game.

Hard to imagine this team winning 2 more games.
Oh, he will and it will be held up as just an "amazing" job. Just watch and see, some media folks will even be plugging him for "Coach of the Year" nomination: "But Shades had another non-losing season!"

Pretty sure I even heard the announcers asking who the leader is on this offense during or after the game.
I heard that same question at some point. The obvious answer is "no one." And Shades struggles without veteran leadership, he himself provides zero leadership skills, other than dancing in the locker room following wins, that's about it.

I heard that same question at some point. The obvious answer is "no one." And Shades struggles without veteran leadership, he himself provides zero leadership skills, other than dancing in the locker room following wins, that's about it.
Another one I seem to remember is the word "disinterested" describing the Steelers. I can't remember who said it, but it was early on. I was kinda shocked to hear some of the things they said last night. And there was more than a couple - like that bonehead 4 and 2 pass.

I think I have figured out why Shades had success early and continues to flounder the longer he remains a head coach: (As much as some of you will call it "redundant" doesn't make it any less true):

2.) And they had a legit Hall of Famer QB, even though they seemingly tried to ruin his talent, he rose above the anal tendencies of pee-your pants offensive schemes to "rise above" them and produce in the 2nd half to pull out wins. Franchise, HoF QBs don't grow on trees as we are seeing 1st-hand.

So, in the conditions he arrives at the Steelers, with All Pros and leaders all over the place, he was well suited to take that team over. But as the leaders and Pro Bowlers retired, he had nothing left to offer. On his own, without veteran leaders, his entire organization has grown sloppy and lazy, something a bevvy of players have spoke out on, even a rookie QB , mentioned practices that lacked discipline. How many times do we see the team LINE UP wrong causing a flag? LINE UP wrong? That is a team discipline problem and it's been happening with more regularity as this s--t show continues. They are getting WORSE.

And of course, shopping for assistant coaches at the Micky Mouse store doesn't help. When your assistant coaches are decided by how good of buddies they are, and how little they threaten your authority, you end up with a s---t organization, which is exactly what we have now. We have a garbage head coach, not knowing how to even "lead himself," never mind the entire team. Yea, sure, the media is all onboard with the Tomlin fraud show, but alas it is just bunko, regardless how how many times the media pretends Shades is a legit stellar head coach. He ain't.
You can't say he won with Cowher's players, that isn't allowed!!! I agree 100% with this. And the further away we get from Ben, the last of those players, the worst we are getting. Also one thing about when he took over here, he had not choice but to let his DC and OC do their job because he wasn't established. As the years went on he's slowly started taking over the defense and the offense, now the coordinators are just yes men to him.

I should known back in 2017. Having a team with a 1,500 yard receiver, a 1,400 yard RB averaging 4.9 a carry and HOF QB losing to Blake Bortles in Pittsburgh should have cemented his legacy 7 years ago. The same coach who lost to Tim Tebow in the playoffs several years before. The same coach who just lost to 2 of the 3 worst teams in the league in consecutive weeks at home. The same coach who consistently loses to lesser competition each and every season. THE SAME COACH.
I knew as soon as the Killer B's were gone it was over for good. That was a special group that if healthy had enough raw talent and gave us a chance to ovecome our coaching deficiencies enough to win something.
You can dig up old posts on here. I was mocked and told Conner and Juju are just as good as Bell and Brown and the locker room was better off without them. Then I was told Harris was the next great Steeler RB and Dionte was the best route runner in the league.
Steelers are at rock bottom embarrassing product with a subpar coach, subpar defense, possibly the worst starting QB in the league and No elite talent outside of Watt. What did anyone realistically expect? I've seen it coming since 2018, and every draft bust and coaching failure has only made it that much more inevitable.

LOL at the fans that are officially "done" with Tomlin.....

WTH have you been watching all these years that made you think he was great?

I am telling you right now, they could have switched Tomlin and Hoodie last night and Hoodie would have figured out how to take Tomlins team and beat his own.

AB was an amazing talent while Ben was throwing to him. He was not exceptional after he left.

Leveon Bell was less than mediocre after leaving Pittsburgh.

Neither demonstrated greatness outside of working in the Steeler offense under guys like Arians and the Todd and most notably,with Ben Roethlisberger.

Equivalently, JuJu has not been as dynamic after he left and Conner has always been reliable, but he's not a world-beater.

The fact is, and we all know it, Tomlin and this coaching staff cannot improve any player. A player comes in and his talent level at that point is essentially the indicator of how he will perform.

Now with Ben Roethlisberger throwing the ball, some players looked better than they were without Ben Roethlisberger throwing the ball. There are a ton of these guys. But when you lose a guy like Ben Roethlisberger and you replace him with the average to good talent, you are not improving anybody beyond their natural abilities.

The Bulls without Michael Jordan aren't the Bulls. Not because Michael Jordan could score 50 points a night, but because Michael Jordan made Scottie Pippen and Luke Longely, Dennis Rodman, and Steve Kerr along with a host of other players better.

And finally, although it sounds that way, the point of this post is not to praise Ben Roethlisberger so much as demonstrate how this coaching staff can't develop talent. They can't improve anyone. And that's ultimately what's killing him. Bad offense sure crappy defense. Okay. None of those players are getting better.

Society's biggest failing for the past few decades has been the "agreeableness" of good people to accept poor performance from leadership, and to buy into the continual excuses for each iterative failure. This is just like that, except the powerless posters here all have a very good idea of what the Steelers are, should be and their many failings over the past decade plus.

This is the effect of the "Everybody gets a trophy" generation. Those kids now hold jobs, vote and make our lives miserable.

Another one I seem to remember is the word "disinterested" describing the Steelers. I can't remember who said it, but it was early on. I was kinda shocked to hear some of the things they said last night. And there was more than a couple - like that bonehead 4 and 2 pass.
We have been building a little history with the 3rd and 4th and short "bombs" when all that was needed was 2 yards. It seems to be a Shades' thing. He all-of-a-sudden grows balls when it's least reasonable, on 4th and 2. Wow, Shades, your stones are so huge, nice way to f up a possible win, but you sure showed us, what huge stones you have.:rolleyes:

I still like Tomlin. I still think he can figure it out. I also wouldn’t be opposed to him retiring. I am also annoyed I have to defend my liking Tomlin and be called an apologist for it.
You still like Tomlin? That's nice. You think he'll finally figure things out in only his eighteenth year? OK.

Can you defend his choice to go for it on 4th-and-2 from the Patriots' 8 yard line in the fourth quarter, down 21-10? Instead of kicking a sure field goal to make it a one-score game? This is what Tomlin said afterwards: "...the significant difference is they got seven points off their turnover on the short field; we got zero off of ours. So that's the difference in the game." He had 3 difference-making points in the bank thanks to that turnover -- and he pissed them away. They got ZERO because of HIS decision.

Care to apologize for that?

How about the playcalling sequence for starting with the 3rd-and-2 from their own 49 with 2:05 left? Did you like that they threw two deep balls, including one THIRTY-FIVE YARDS DOWNFIELD on 4th-and-2? With the game hanging in the balance? Wouldn't a run, or a QB sneak, or a short pass, or some combination of those have been more prudent in that situation, when they still had the two-minute warning, a timeout, and only needed about ten more total yards to give their excellent field goal kicker a chance to tie the game?

Care to defend that?

Sure, Tomlin still can figure out in-game management. Look for that to happen on the second Tuesday of next week.

If AR2 was smart, he'd be on the phone with David Tepper as soon as the season ends and talking about a trade for Tomlin. I guarantee Tepper would give up multiple 1st round picks for Tomlin without hesitation. The guy is a terrible owner and would do that in a heartbeat.
If the Steelers somehow decided to trade Mike Tomlin, and were somehow able to procure just ONE first-round pick in return, it would be the happiest moment of my fanhood since the day they drafted Ben Roethlisberger. Pure elation.

AB was an amazing talent while Ben was throwing to him. He was not exceptional after he left.

Leveon Bell was less than mediocre after leaving Pittsburgh.

Neither demonstrated greatness outside of working in the Steeler offense under guys like Arians and the Todd and most notably,with Ben Roethlisberger.

Equivalently, JuJu has not been as dynamic after he left and Conner has always been reliable, but he's not a world-beater.

The fact is, and we all know it, Tomlin and this coaching staff cannot improve any player. A player comes in and his talent level at that point is essentially the indicator of how he will perform.

Now with Ben Roethlisberger throwing the ball, some players looked better than they were without Ben Roethlisberger throwing the ball. There are a ton of these guys. But when you lose a guy like Ben Roethlisberger and you replace him with the average to good talent, you are not improving anybody beyond their natural abilities.

The Bulls without Michael Jordan aren't the Bulls. Not because Michael Jordan could score 50 points a night, but because Michael Jordan made Scottie Pippen and Luke Longely, Dennis Rodman, and Steve Kerr along with a host of other players better.

And finally, although it sounds that way, the point of this post is not to praise Ben Roethlisberger so much as demonstrate how this coaching staff can't develop talent. They can't improve anyone. And that's ultimately what's killing him. Bad offense sure crappy defense. Okay. None of those players are getting better.
You can add Brown and Bell to this statement. Steelernation will NEVER see talent like those guys again. Not even 1 guy let alone all 3 on the same offense.

You can add Brown and Bell to this statement. Steelernation will NEVER see talent like those guys again. Not even 1 guy let alone all 3 on the same offense.

Top 5 QB #1 WR and #1RB and what did they win? Technically nothing. They got embarrassed in the AFCCG once.

I still say Ben got jipped out of at least 2 or 3 Super Bowl appearances and another ring because of this guy.

Meanwhile Hoodie was stacking Lombardi's like cord wood with Tom, and a bunch of scrubs.

Rooney will be nice and let Tomlin go, with pay. But if he gets re-employed Rooney is off the hook. That way Tomlin has a whole year to find a job, with pay. Rooney wouldn't be a dick if he did that.

Rooney will be nice and let Tomlin go, with pay. But if he gets re-employed Rooney is off the hook. That way Tomlin has a whole year to find a job, with pay. Rooney wouldn't be a dick if he did that.

Good grief it's not like he will be broke. He's made more money at HC than all of the other coaches combined in the history of the team.

No they need to dangle him out there and pull a Sean Peyton.

Get some 1st rounders if other teams think he is so great.

If AR2 was smart, he'd be on the phone with David Tepper as soon as the season ends and talking about a trade for Tomlin. I guarantee Tepper would give up multiple 1st round picks for Tomlin without hesitation. The guy is a terrible owner and would do that in a heartbeat.
As I said in another thread - how do you know Tepper wasn't one of the Steelers minor shareholders who wanted Tomlin fired several years back?

You still like Tomlin? That's nice. You think he'll finally figure things out in only his eighteenth year? OK.

Can you defend his choice to go for it on 4th-and-2 from the Patriots' 8 yard line in the fourth quarter, down 21-10? Instead of kicking a sure field goal to make it a one-score game? This is what Tomlin said afterwards: "...the significant difference is they got seven points off their turnover on the short field; we got zero off of ours. So that's the difference in the game." He had 3 difference-making points in the bank thanks to that turnover -- and he pissed them away. They got ZERO because of HIS decision.

Care to apologize for that?

How about the playcalling sequence for starting with the 3rd-and-2 from their own 49 with 2:05 left? Did you like that they threw two deep balls, including one THIRTY-FIVE YARDS DOWNFIELD on 4th-and-2? With the game hanging in the balance? Wouldn't a run, or a QB sneak, or a short pass, or some combination of those have been more prudent in that situation, when they still had the two-minute warning, a timeout, and only needed about ten more total yards to give their excellent field goal kicker a chance to tie the game?

Care to defend that?

Sure, Tomlin still can figure out in-game management. Look for that to happen on the second Tuesday of next week.
The problem with the original post IMO is that it does something similar to what Mark Madden does in every article he writes. The fat *** has to begin every article with how stupid and gullible Steeler fans are, how we are sucked into believing the lies and blah, blah. Well, to me it is a false argument. It is not being tricked or fooled, or rose colored glasses or the like, it is an understanding of the fact that we have no control over the situation. When you realize that it then becomes how you approach it. I choose to approach every Steeler season like I do a day of trout fishing or hunting, for example. I go out there thinking it's gonna be a good day. If it isn't, I deal with it and move on. I don't feel I have to apologize for anything, especially something I can't control and my attitude, whatever it is, has no impact on an outcome.

Mike Tomlin needs to go. Please let it be so. But if they don't, more than likely I will approach the season next year like I have been. I just don't see that as being a Mike Tomlin apologist. Another thing, if I would be all angry and upset over things, losing my allegiance wouldn't hurt the Steelers one bit. I rarely go to games anymore, I don't buy merchandise. I watch them if they are on...if not I don't go out of my way to watch them. If the weather is nice I don't watch them as much as I used to. So I can be mad as hell and the Steelers would have no reason to give a shiit. They lose nothing losing me.