• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Are there any left?

Do some of you realize it isn't so much Tomlin apologists as...what the hell are we gonna do about it? I want one of you to answer that. What exactly can we do to impact who is the Steelers head coach?

The hard truth is we can't do a damn thing. Being that is the case, you are left with 2 options. Try to find positives and have hope or be miserable and ***** and moan all the time. So don't confuse trying to be positive, because we have no control over it, with being a Tomlin apologist.
What would actually give you hope and positivity with this team's direction lol.. what positive things are there to discuss after making NFL history by losing to two 2 win teams in 2 weeks. The team is terrible and Tomlin's seat is getting hot(hopefully). That is the only positives I see.

It's a message board, dude.

If discussion/criticism was limited to the things within our control, this place would be a ghost town.

In terms of the big picture, it's getting harder and harder to find positives with the Tomlin-led Steelers.

That is if winning Superbowls (or at least getting close to them) is the goal and not just avoiding losing seasons.
You are damn right it is a message board. Which is why no one should have to explain their levels of support for Tomlin, past or present, either.

Reactions: wig
NOT disputing he could still Houdini in the pocket, and do his sandlot football routine, and be clutch when needed, and make the correct throws to actual open receivers.
But you've pulled out the stats card with TDs and Comp %.
But that is equivalent to Shaq's FG % being good because of dunking.
What was his YPC that season? 8.5-ish, maybe 9.5ish?
His entire career before that, including his rookie season, averaged 12.5-ish.
You can blame some of that on Tomlin/Canada, but not all of it.
I'm not criticizing Ben's career, or his contribution to the organization.
But everyone gets old, and everyone's body fails them at some point.
And not everyone is comfortable cheating the system by taking steroids, HGH, and other banned substances and methods.
And every team has to make that uncomfortable decision of moving on from a Hall of Fame player when they can't do it like they used to.
It's far better to be proactive with those decisions than reactive after it's too late.
Ben definitely couldn't move very well at the end, but Shaq didn't have other 300lb guys trying to hit him while shooting free throws, Ben's ypc was so low because he couldn't hold the ball past 2 seconds or he was being hit. Just go back and watch the highlights of I think it was the Denver game, he threw a go route to Claypool, took the snap, dropped back and just threw it as soon as his back foot planted, and was still being hit by two defenders. My point is this offense had been run conservatively by Tomlin for years.

Society's biggest failing for the past few decades has been the "agreeableness" of good people to accept poor performance from leadership, and to buy into the continual excuses for each iterative failure. This is just like that, except the powerless posters here all have a very good idea of what the Steelers are, should be and their many failings over the past decade plus.

So you you can choose to point out that Mitch made a great QB sneak to score, or note that he should have been picked 3 times in the first half, and the one that the *pats did get cost 7 points and effectively lost the game. Or you can point that Mitch had 30 yards in rushing to lead the team, or point out the recently improved running game **** the bed vs superior coaching. You can point out the Mitch heaved a nice ball on 4th and short on the Steelers last play or you can admit that it was a ******* dumbass low percentage brainfart that sealed the loss.

You can opine that Tomlin was doing his best in trusting Mitch, or you can open your eyes and say that that Bailey Zappe clearly and demonstrably outperformed due to coaching, scheme, playcalling, etc. just like Tebow, Bortles, Mayfield, etc.

But we should just be quiet, be grateful for Joe Greene, Lambert, Bradshaw, Roethlisberger, Watt, etc. while we watch the team Eagle team that fired their great coach Reid play in SBs against KC et al?
We aren't accepting anything. We have no control!!! Hell, at least I can vote and try to change that...here we have nothing.

Do some of you realize it isn't so much Tomlin apologists as...what the hell are we gonna do about it? I want one of you to answer that. What exactly can we do to impact who is the Steelers head coach?

The hard truth is we can't do a damn thing. Being that is the case, you are left with 2 options. Try to find positives and have hope or be miserable and ***** and moan all the time. So don't confuse trying to be positive, because we have no control over it, with being a Tomlin apologist.

So you mean , "do nothing and hope the team figures something out in the next game". ?

Well thats how we ******* got to this point.

Nah,,, Ill call out the ****** play, ***** and moan and hope some real changes come from Rooney's office.

So you mean , "do nothing and hope the team figures something out in the next game". ?

Well thats how we ******* got to this point.

Nah,,, Ill call out the ****** play, ***** and moan and hope some real changes come from Rooney's office.
More or less. What else do we really have? I'm an older fan. People were wanting Chuck Noll gone, then Cowher. How'd that work out? Did the Rooney's listen?

We aren't accepting anything. We have no control!!! Hell, at least I can vote and try to change that...here we have nothing.
We as fans actually have all the control. If everyone stops going to games, that'll cause changes real quick. Sure, AR2 is loyal until it starts hurting his pockets. Money always talks, every time and every situation.

We as fans actually have all the control. If everyone stops going to games, that'll cause changes real quick. Sure, AR2 is loyal until it starts hurting his pockets. Money always talks, every time and every situation.
Ok. That's fine. That stadium looked pretty full last night...if you weren't there you were watching. What are the chances of that? You'd have a better chance of winning the lottery.

Listening to Cook and Joe on 93.7 and they say .500 has a lot of good coaching left in him....ARE THEY ON CRACK or on the steelers payroll?!?!?!?!?!?!? Praising him for wining a superbowl, with Cowher's players, the only way .500 ever gets a SB...... what a joke. The media literally sucks .500's dick and continually bend over for him.....ridiculous!!!!!!

i said "the start"
Obviously I'm too obtuse to get your reference.
I don't want to get into a peeing contest of semantics.
What are you alluding to with your comment?
Releasing Webster in the off-season?

He somehow will.. like last year… he can always find tge wins to get to or over .500
Yep. He will.

Last year they got like 4 of the last five, against all odds to be "non-losing" and maintain the status quo.

They'll find 2 games. I'm sure of it.

Art Rooney II will half to show his hand this offseason:

-Tomlin has one year left on his contract, he is always extended the offseason before it expires, but what about this time?

-will Tomlin be allowed to do another internal hire for OC from a staff that has no one remotely qualified for the job?

Obviously I'm too obtuse to get your reference.
I don't want to get into a peeing contest of semantics.
What are you alluding to with your comment?
Releasing Webster in the off-season?
"Until"

Listening to Cook and Joe on 93.7 and they say .500 has a lot of good coaching left in him....ARE THEY ON CRACK or on the steelers payroll?!?!?!?!?!?!? Praising him for wining a superbowl, with Cowher's players, the only way .500 ever gets a SB...... what a joke. The media literally sucks .500's dick and continually bend over for him.....ridiculous!!!!!!
The only reasoning I can think of is the classic contrarian radio. They don't even believe that stuff anymore but with everyone talking about how bad Tomlin is right now, it's the perfect play to take the opposite side now to get the listeners pissed off, sparking emotion is the key to viewers and listeners.

It's a message board, dude.

If discussion/criticism was limited to the things within our control, this place would be a ghost town.

In terms of the big picture, it's getting harder and harder to find positives with the Tomlin-led Steelers.

That is if winning Superbowls (or at least getting close to them) is the goal and not just avoiding losing seasons.
You see that?
You see what happened there?

Winning the SB is no longer the benchmark. Now it's "getting close".

That's how you become the Browns over time, constantly degrading expectations.

To be fair they're talking about moving on from him too, they were just saying the good things he's done here and that it doesn't have to be ugly. They are definitely wanting to move on from MT.

If AR2 was smart, he'd be on the phone with David Tepper as soon as the season ends and talking about a trade for Tomlin. I guarantee Tepper would give up multiple 1st round picks for Tomlin without hesitation. The guy is a terrible owner and would do that in a heartbeat.

The last two weeks is the most UN-Steeler thing I've EVER witnessed in my 45+ year fandom.

It is the most Steelers thing for the franchise 1933-1968. Fortunately, I don't recall those years but this debacle has to rival those years.

People were wanting Chuck Noll gone, then Cowher. How'd that work out? Did the Rooney's listen?

It worked out pretty well in terms of replacing Noll. Cowher took a 6-10 team to the #1 seed his first year, made the playoffs his first 6 years, took the team to SIX AFC Championship games, won 2 AFC titles and a SB. His teams were almost always competitive in the playoffs with the exception of two Patsies**** contests.

God I hate the Patriots with the heat of a thousand suns.

It's about money at the end of the day.

When it comes to sports, there might be more room for objectivity in media markets like NYC, LA and Chicago, but in smaller ones like Pittsburgh, owners like the Rooney's probably have more influence in the media than we fans care to admit.

Same with Bob Nutting and the Pirates.

It is the most Steelers thing for the franchise 1933-1968. Fortunately, I don't recall those years but this debacle has to rival those years.

It worked out pretty well in terms of replacing Noll. Cowher took a 6-10 team to the #1 seed his first year, made the playoffs his first 6 years, took the team to SIX AFC Championship games, won 2 AFC titles and a SB. His teams were almost always competitive in the playoffs with the exception of two Patsies**** contests.

God I hate the Patriots with the heat of a thousand suns.
I wasn't born until the 70s, so I didn't witness those years.
But from reading the history, it's seems on par with those years.

If AR2 was smart, he'd be on the phone with David Tepper as soon as the season ends and talking about a trade for Tomlin. I guarantee Tepper would give up multiple 1st round picks for Tomlin without hesitation. The guy is a terrible owner and would do that in a heartbeat.

It's a VERY interesting thought, but I always under the impressive Tepper was one the Steelers minority owners who was reportedly very critical of Tomlin after the 2017 playoff loss to the Jaguars.

Given his "front seat" experience, Tepper might not be as drunk on the Tomlin kool-aid as other owners around the league might be.