• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Are top NFL Centers really worth 10 Mil/yr?

keslerclan

Reaction score
After watching what has been unfolding with Alex Mack (which i could really care less about), I wonder what 'effect' it might have in our attempts to re-sign Pouncey.

I don't believe Pouncey is in the same category of production as Mack (then again, I wouldn't pay Mack anywhere near 10mil/yr either) BUT that's not to say Pouncey doesn't think he is comparable himself to Mack.

It brings into question that we may need to have a back up plan in place in case he does because I would hate to see our team strapped with a huge contract for the limited production we have gotten from our starting C over the length of his rookie deal.

I've been saying all offseason I'd trade Pouncey for the Phins second this year and a conditional next year. Pro bowl means another 2, 16 starts (no bowl) is 3rd, maybe 14+ starts a 4th.

We had 3 centers last year, I'd say Pouncey was as good as the guys who replaced him, but I'm not all that convinced he's that much better.

We had 3 centers last year, I'd say Pouncey was as good as the guys who replaced him, but I'm not all that convinced he's that much better.

Exactly. Cody Wallace is making 1.5 million and Pouncey is not 7x better than him! Trade Pouncey and sign or draft depth.

Dirt playing today, MAYBE.

Pouncey playing today, I don't think so.

I never thought center was that valuable. But after seeing Gino Gradkowski suck so badly last year... I'd pay Mack a lot.

I liked the Pouncey pick but after the past few years I don't like him any more. I'd trade him to Miami in a heartbeat. I'd never in hell pay him $10 million a year.

He's going to want that Mack contract. No way would I give it to him.

They should trade Pouncey for the stains' second first this year and the pick we gave them for Shamarko last year. That gives the stains cover with the Mack situation and us the luxury of trading the stains' first (or ours) for more quality picks in the second and third, plus another third. Effectively the stains would be getting Pouncey for Richardson. Not a bad deal all the way around.

The signing of Cody Wallace is starting to make sense now. Eric Olsen went to the Titans and Wallace was the only healthy C left after 2013. Velasco could end up being signed if he looks like he can come back from the achilles injury too which will give us something if Pouncey really believes his press clippings, IMO.

When we need Pouncey the most he always seems to be out. Not entirely his fault but still would not even think of signing him to close to that amount. I would be perfectly comfortable trading him elsewhere for a high pick and not even blink.

I bet Richie Incognito would play for hookers, cocaine and a BFF.

When we need Pouncey the most he always seems to be out. Not entirely his fault but still would not even think of signing him to close to that amount. I would be perfectly comfortable trading him elsewhere for a high pick and not even blink.

I'm one to lean this way too!!!! UNLESS (see below)

I hope pouncey has an all world year and proves everyone wrong.

Always hope for that, from all players!!!!

Salute the nation

Mack's contract is for 5 years, $42M, so it is closer to $8M a season. With that said, in 2001, the Steelers handed Jeff Hartings a 6 year, $24M contract which put him close to the top for OL. The next season, Dallas made Larry Allen one of the highest paid OL in the NFL paying him $6M per season.

With OTs now making $10M or more, the going rate for an elite center is probably $8M. Hell, Alan Faneca received that when he left here. So, if Pouncey stays healthy, is $7-8M out of the question? Not really.

I do not know if I pay him that, but I can see it.

I honestly thought that the line played better and more in sync with Valesco than with Pouncey. Forgive me if I may be wrong on this, but I remembered reading in that local Pittsburgh paper about Valesco how he had taken DeCastro and Foster and was teaching them technique and how to read each other.

I think after we redo Timmons deal, Extend big Ben which will lower his 2014 cap hit that we can extend Pouncey for 5 years 30-33 million, he does'nt have a whole lot of leverage coming fininishing 3 years on IR. Then lock up Heyward 6 years 24 million

admitedly, i don't watch football and pick up absolutely every single detail like some of you guys do.
but the line coming together long after he was gone, damn on the eye test for me. sure. he's a good player but i don't see this "one of the best centers in the league" **** that is forcefed to us.
i damn sure wouldn't break the bank to keep pouncey. i'd rather shop him, but that's not going to happen.
i mean really... an out of the league center stepped in and handled it just as well as he did

I doubt you get Heyward for under $6M a season. The Steelers have until May 3rd to make a decision on Heyward. They can either allow him to play this season and be an impending free agent next year or exercise the option on him for 2015, which is estimated to come in @$8.4M for defensive ends.

I would think if you want Heyward to sign, your starting point would be 5 years, $30-33M.

Pay Pouncey. The better the guys are around him the better we will be able to utilize Pouncey's full potential.

Pay Pouncey. The better the guys are around him the better we will be able to utilize Pouncey's full potential.

As much as I want Pouncey to come back strong and succeed, "the guys around him" have mostly been made up of the trainer, the assistant trainer, the team medic and the guy who refills the gatorade cups. The team is already 'hedging' their bets at his position, IMO.