• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Art Rooney II addresses the Steelers’ future at QB

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
In 2003, the Pittsburgh Steelers made a very quiet leadership transition as Dan Rooney passed the torch to his son Art Rooney II to officially assume the role of President of the Steelers organization. It was very similar to how “The Chief” Art Rooney transitioned the authority to his son Dan Rooney. Dan assumed the designation of Chairman of the Board (last held by “The Chief” until his death in 1988), in which he held until his passing in 2017.

Without question, the Steelers have never been more successful than during the periods when the younger Rooney oversaw and made the business decisions of the team with the elder Rooney having the luxury of being able to get closer to the players and become the trusted father figure that could genuinely make a significant impact in the personal lives of the players. There was a uniqueness to having a separation between Owner and President, with an open door policy to speak directly to a Rooney who had genuine affection for his players. And it’s by no coincidence that the Steelers of the 1970s would speak about “The Chief” with the same reverence and respect that the Steelers of the 2000s would speak about when talking about Dan.

The Steelers were successful during the period when Dan Rooney had to shoulder the burden and responsibility as both Owner and President. While caring about the players is extremely important, it arguably proved more difficult to balance the two roles in the same manner. And that is the position that Art Rooney II is in now.

Despite successful seasons, the Super Bowl proved to be elusive and it was clear the team was only a franchise quarterback away from the achievement, a fact I do not believe was ever lost on Dan Rooney. He truly regretted not selecting Dan Marino in 1983, even though he had the authority to override the decision of Chuck Noll to pass on the talented hometown hero. Dan Rooney truly believed that Kordell Stewart would become a true franchise quarterback and had to come to the realization that Stewart was not going to get them where they wanted to be. It ultimately led to Dan Rooney influencing Kevin Colbert and Bill Cowher to select Ben Roethlisberger in 2004, despite the fact that both the head coach and general manager trusted and felt they could win with Tommy Maddox.

Based on what Art Rooney II shared with a group of local writers this past Friday, it appears that he is extremely keen to the importance of finding the right quarterback for the future of the franchise, as well as learning from the mistakes of the past. He acknowledged that it won’t be an easy task, but he made it clear that he was not looking for a running quarterback similar to the likes of Lamar Jackson, Michael Vick, or Cam Newton.

Art Rooney II, per The Athletic:

“Having a quarterback who is consistently a threat to be a part of your rushing attack, I am not sure that is something I want to rely on game in, game out, season, season out. Having some of that ability is important, but the days of having quarterbacks whose biggest threat is running are probably not what we are looking for.”

“Certainly, the mobile quarterback is the wave of the future, so to speak, and having mobility at that position would be desirable. You don’t always get someone who meets every criterion you might want. You have to get the best player, plug him in and put the best players around them and try to put everybody in the best position to be successful.”

The simple translation of that is that the Steelers want another Terry Bradshaw or Ben Roethlisberger, quarterbacks with mobility and can run if necessary, but the most important attribute is the ability to pass. And in a league in which the ability of a QB to keep their head up, maneuver their way to buy time and make a play that might need to go a little off-script is extremely valuable, it appears that is the direction Art Rooney II wants to take.

In the past season, the Steelers faced off against the three such quarterbacks in Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert, and Joe Burrow. Not coincidentally, all three had the most success in overcoming the best pass rush in the NFL for five seasons straight because of those traits. However, quarterbacks of that nature don’t exactly come easy nor often drop to the 20th pick in the NFL Draft, so the Steelers will either have to struggle to have a high enough pick, or be aggressive in the draft to trade up. ARII seems to agree with that sentiment, as he put his own spin on a classic Chuck Noll quote: “You can’t go to the local Piggly Wiggly and find a quarterback.”

Regardless of the way you feel about how Art Rooney II has chosen to run the Steelers; it ultimately is his way. He doesn’t speak to the public as other owners, but when he does, he generally means what he says. And historically speaking, the perception that the Rooney’s are “soft” is not the reality, as Cowher found out the hard way early in his career when he challenged Dan Rooney’s decision to not match the offer to Merrill Hoge and let him go in free agency. In much the same way, when Art Rooney II directed Bruce Arians to scale back his scheme that led to Roethlisberger being sacked more than any quarterback in the league during his 5-year stint as offensive coordinator, in the end he was told he was retiring and brought in Todd Haley to execute that directive.

Clearly, ARII does not undervalue the 18 years of having the luxury and benefits of what a Ben Roethlisberger brings to the team, as despite knocking on the door multiple times, it did not result in a Lombardi Trophy. It seems that he is not content in waiting two decades in the hope that a quarterback of that caliber becomes available with the team’s normal draft slot.

Art Rooney II, per The Athletic:

“You have to take advantage of every opportunity you have to get the best quarterback you can find.”

Whether or not the organization decides that there is a quarterback they wish to pursue this year is yet to be seen, it’s equally unlikely that they will retain the same static philosophy and become more aggressive towards pursuing a true franchise quarterback. And that is definitely a philosophy that this Steeler Nation contributor agrees with completely.

What thoughts do you have about the Steelers direction under Art Rooney II and finding a new franchise QB? Leave a thought below.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Yep. Mobile QB yes, running QB no. We saw what happened with Lamar Jackson this season, he was on the shelf by week 15.

Fix the line first. Then get your quarterback. I think one of the reasons that the Browns have destroyed so many high-pick quarterbacks is because they put them in a situation where they had to deal with bad lines before they could get comfortable with the speed of the defenses they were reading.

We can survive a year with Haskins and the red nose one as long as Najee stays healthy. Use this year to acquire and develop a top-notch line, then trade up next year to get your quarterback. My understanding is that next year's crop is much better, anyway.

maybe we can pull a RG and a RT out of Free Agency? Say Tomlinson (49ers) and Morgan Moses (Jets)

I'd seriously doubt the FO sees Green as anything other than a Center, so we as fans will need to accept it. Like it, no. Accept it, I guess.

So with a line of Moore, Dotson, Green, Tomlinson and Moses - would that then allow us to spend a 1st on a QB? If so, I'd believe we're looking at Pickett or Sam Howell. Remember, we had a lot of scouts at Howell's games early on.

Pickett and Howell are mobile, but not running QBs. More in the mold of Burrow and Mayfield, and not like Lamar. Reading between the lines, the FO is looking at someone like Pickett or Howell. I'd not be surprised to see us trade up to get one of them, either.

Pickett is 23 and Howell is 21. Pickett is likely more mature, so what you saw in college last season is his ceiling. Howell, being a Junior entering the draft would be more appealing to the FO, IMO.

For the record, I'm not sold on either being the next franchise QB, but fixing the OL would definitely make the FO look towards an early QB.

But, I'd take either of them over Rudolph or Haskins.

Some Truth in this article that bears coment.

Contrary to what many here think ART 2 is compassionate about his football team. He is also patient in geting what he deems the right fit for the team.

I hope he persues the TRENCHes and leans towards waiting a year on any QB draft pick (need a FA). I'm guessing we roll with who we've got + a VET FA (no draft picks).

Some things are infuriating with Art Duece but there are things complimentary as well.

ALSO NOTE: He says point blank we are not looking for a running QB.

Salute the nation

Some Truth in this article that bears coment.

Contrary to what many here think ART 2 is compassionate about his football team. He is also patient in geting what he deems the right fit for the team.

I hope he persues the TRENCHes and leans towards waiting a year on any QB draft pick (need a FA). I'm guessing we roll with who we've got + a VET FA (no draft picks).

Some things are infuriating with Art Duece but there are things complimentary as well.

ALSO NOTE: He says point blank we are not looking for a running QB.
I hope they draft Kenny Pickett if he is still there but I'm pretty sure he'll be gone by the time we pick.

I pray to God we roll with Rudy or Haskins this year, If we go 4-13 I am golden and will give Tomlin a pass for this year. I want Bryce Young so bad I can't stand it. I know in my heart he is what we need to stay even with Cincy and Burrows. Bryce can make every throw, he can move in the pocket and can get a first down with his legs if he has to, he reads the field better than any QB that's come out in forever and makes great decisions with the ball.

Bryce Young is a better version of Josh Allen. but it's gonna take a top 5 pick to get him. I don't push for to many players coming out of college because I know there are way better football minds then me on this board, but I pimped Lev Bell two years before we drafted him and look at what he did for us before he left, when he was here he was a one of a kind talent. Bryce Young is a one of a kind talent and who ever drafts him will have a franchise QB for years.

I pray to God we roll with Rudy or Haskins this year, If we go 4-13 I am golden and will give Tomlin a pass for this year. I want Bryce Young so bad I can't stand it. I know in my heart he is what we need to stay even with Cincy and Burrows. Bryce can make every throw, he can move in the pocket and can get a first down with his legs if he has to, he reads the field better than any QB that's come out in forever and makes great decisions with the ball.

Bryce Young is a better version of Josh Allen. but it's gonna take a top 5 pick to get him. I don't push for to many players coming out of college because I know there are way better football minds then me on this board, but I pimped Lev Bell two years before we drafted him and look at what he did for us before he left, when he was here he was a one of a kind talent. Bryce Young is a one of a kind talent and who ever drafts him will have a franchise QB for years.
you want @bermudasteel to pull the head off and bleed out?

you want @bermudasteel to pull the head off and bleed out?
Warriors42, like me, did pimp a player 2 years prior to us drafting him. He loved Lev Bell and I was pimping Najee in his junior year yet he chose to stay w/ Bama and we did pick him---THANK GOD!!!

Now, like Warriors42, I saw 'something special' in Bryce Young last year and all thru this past season...I don't know if this will come to fruition but he is my TOP CHOICE for next year...homer be damned.

Top 5 pick or draft capital beyond a pick in the 20+ range

Yep. Mobile QB yes, running QB no. We saw what happened with Lamar Jackson this season, he was on the shelf by week 15.
Think he remembers that Kordell was exposed quickly and the offense had to be scaled back substantially in 2001. Was very predictable.

You want a 5'11" 183 pound QB???? Hell no. He can get away with it at Alabama with basically an NFL offensive line in front of him. That's not going to work in the league. Josh Allen is 6'5" and is 237 lbs that can run.