• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Arthur Smith's Offense

He also had a front row seat for the lies made to Rudolph too. Just maybe he didn’t want to go down the same path. All the reasons I have given for why I would leave if I were Rudolph, would also apply to KP8 too. No way I would work for someone that will lie right to your face, if I had ANY other option.
Way too hung up on this idea of lies. This is how this business operates. Maybe they could’ve been more up front, but teams constantly look to upgrade and replace players. If those below average players didn’t think the Steelers were going to try to find upgrades then that’s on them. We dodged a bullet if we didn’t give Mason a Mitch-like contract.

Way too hung up on this idea of lies. This is how this business operates. Maybe they could’ve been more up front, but teams constantly look to upgrade and replace players. If those below average players didn’t think the Steelers were going to try to find upgrades then that’s on them. We dodged a bullet if we didn’t give Mason a Mitch-like contract.
I donkt disagree with you, we are just approaching the same argument from different perspectives. I agree that team managers should always be looking to upgrade. I also would not work for someone who says one thing then does another. As a player, I would also have to expect this to happen, if you don’t, then I am the problem.

I donkt disagree with you, we are just approaching the same argument from different perspectives. I agree that team managers should always be looking to upgrade. I also would not work for someone who says one thing then does another. As a player, I would also have to expect this to happen, if you don’t, then I am the problem.
It literally happens every single day in businesses across the country because things change on a daily basis. An example, when I graduated Architecture school I worked for a large outsourcing firm that handles contract work for other firms. We had heard rumbles that the firm was looking to lower costs by looking overseas to for drafting and modeling labor. We had a company wide meeting where the owner told everyone that while they had been exploring options, they did not feel the service for the money paid was worth going that route and that our jobs were safe. A week later a company in India beat our labor rate by 50% on a proposal and 3 days later most of the company was laid off. I wasn't lied to...**** happens, circumstances change, and you adapt and move on. Did they know about the deal ahead of time...hell if I know, and I am not wasting any time trying to figure it out. Onward and hopefully upward.

Plans change quickly and Tomlin doesn't exactly have a history of being clear with how he handles role players (Harrison, Blount, Ingram, etc.). I still can't get worked up because it's the business. I also get the feeling Khan has more than we have become accustomed to and he may not have been on board with drafting Pickett.

It is fine. Finding upgrades. Just simply be truthful with the player you are talking too. Why tell them one thing then do the exact opposite. Tomlin or our FO has shown a history over these past 10 years of this. Harrison was told one thing and then it didn't happen. Blount...samething. Ingram....samething. Mason...samething. Pickett...samething. I am sure there are others. Some are vets...others were younger players. Either way just be upfront when resigning or signing players. If this happened once than sure....but we have a string of this **** happening.

It is fine. Finding upgrades. Just simply be truthful with the player you are talking too. Why tell them one thing then do the exact opposite. Tomlin or our FO has shown a history over these past 10 years of this. Harrison was told one thing and then it didn't happen. Blount...samething. Ingram....samething. Mason...samething. Pickett...samething. I am sure there are others. Some are vets...others were younger players. Either way just be upfront when resigning or signing players. If this happened once than sure....but we have a string of this **** happening.
probably mitch... then oh we are drafting a qb in rd 1.....

I just hope all of these moves payoff. They're going all in. It could go really good or really bad.

One thing is for sure. Every single pass and every single play will be scrutinized just the same as everyone else, except the expectations will be much higher for performance.

Wilson did make 2 superbowls, winning one, and it wasn't two because his coach called the dumbest play ever, when you had multiple shots to punch it in the endzone with Lynch. Let's call a pass over the middle...duh

IMO, if Kenny was expecting an open competition with Russ, he is the one at fault, regardless of the team telling him competition (probably before RW signing) vs "you are the back-up" after the signing.

RW threw 26 TDs and 8 Ints last year BUT has averaged 28 TDs to 10 Ints for his career.
Hell BB averaged 24+TDs and 12+ Ints for his career. An argument could be made that RW has had at least an equal career as Ben.

Meanwhile KP whose only thrown 13 TDs and 13 Ints in his 2 years wants to compete? It's NOT a lie when your team has the opportunity to bring in a sure-fire HOF QB to tell you he's gonna start out as the #1...you should already know/expect it. Now, if AFTER the RW signing they say you will be competing for #1 reps, THAT would be the lie.

Plans change quickly and Tomlin doesn't exactly have a history of being clear with how he handles role players (Harrison, Blount, Ingram, etc.). I still can't get worked up because it's the business. I also get the feeling Khan has more than we have become accustomed to and he may not have been on board with drafting Pickett.
Some of these players act like they are completely blind to the realities of the roster.
Harrison at that stage of his career wasn't going to be taking a lot of snaps from a developing, yet promising TJ OR, a slowly ascending Dupree. Same with Blount, if he looked at Tomlin's history of using RBs "Till the wheels fall of", then looked at Bell as the lead back and thought he was getting a 50% split when Tomlin said "split the carries", he's an idiot. Ingram signed on to be the 3rd OLB ... With the way TJ and Highsmith rotate out, he was guaranteed some playing time ... but not an equal amount.

Wilson was guarenteed the starter spot 5 dats after he arrived and the Steelers had traded for Fields. If you believe this was gonna be an open competition you are high. The Steelers ****** Pickett over his entire career then lied to him. How do you think Ben Roethlisberger would have responded to that? Pickett didn't make a big show. He didn't leak **** unlike the organization did. He just didn't want to be a Steelers player anymore. I don't blame him.
Dude, Ben won a ******* Super Bowl in his second year. Don’t even consider his historic rookie season (13-0, AFCCG appearance). Pickett couldn’t throw the same amount of td’s, over two years, that Ben did in his first two seasons, each. While also proving to be the ******* man, and not just expecting to be the ******* man. The only good thing Pickett did was lead two game winning drives against the Ravens. Other than that, I can’t think of another moment where I was excited about him being the QB. Mostly because he showed absolutely nothing (bullshit offensive coordinator and all). Hell, Fields’ team had their coaches houses raided by the FBI, and were complaining about Matt Canada?

I just hope all of these moves payoff. They're going all in. It could go really good or really bad.

One thing is for sure. Every single pass and every single play will be scrutinized just the same as everyone else, except the expectations will be much higher for performance.

Wilson did make 2 superbowls, winning one, and it wasn't two because his coach called the dumbest play ever, when you had multiple shots to punch it in the endzone with Lynch. Let's call a pass over the middle...duh

I hope he doesn't two-peat this, but it is possible.........................

Salute the nation

Or…maybe it’s just as simple as Pickett not being good enough, and the coaching staff, GM, and Ownership were all in agreement. If Pickett is so weak that he needs a guarantee rather than earning his spot, then he has no business being a starting QB in the NFL
Was Russ Wilson given a guarentee?

Dude, Ben won a ******* Super Bowl in his second year. Don’t even consider his historic rookie season (13-0, AFCCG appearance). Pickett couldn’t throw the same amount of td’s, over two years, that Ben did in his first two seasons, each. While also proving to be the ******* man, and not just expecting to be the ******* man. The only good thing Pickett did was lead two game winning drives against the Ravens. Other than that, I can’t think of another moment where I was excited about him being the QB. Mostly because he showed absolutely nothing (bullshit offensive coordinator and all). Hell, Fields’ team had their coaches houses raided by the FBI, and were complaining about Matt Canada?
Lets be clear. I don't think Pickett earned a guarantee. My preference would not be a duct tape solution but rather a fresh chance for the guy you took 20th overall and stiffed with a non NFL OC. However, you shouldn't lie to people. Just like you shouldn't accept one behavior from one player and not another.

Lets be clear. I don't think Pickett earned a guarantee. My preference would not be a duct tape solution but rather a fresh chance for the guy you took 20th overall and stiffed with a non NFL OC. However, you shouldn't lie to people. Just like you shouldn't accept one behavior from one player and not another.
Nice post....I 100% agree.

This is not how the real world works.

It's already been stated - companies and firms operate like this every freaking day.

No one is getting coddled. This/these are businesses and it's all about the almighty dollar. You don't perform or help make money because of your poor performance--- that's on you.

And that's the simple truth.

How do we know without any resolve that Kenny was lied to???

probably mitch... then oh we are drafting a qb in rd 1.....

Hind sight is always near 20 / 20

They didn’t know they were drafting a QB in round one until about an hour before their pick. How could they know if the Great Kenny Pickett (who they deemed as a franchise QB), would be there ?

Salute the nation

It literally happens every single day in businesses across the country because things change on a daily basis. An example, when I graduated Architecture school I worked for a large outsourcing firm that handles contract work for other firms. We had heard rumbles that the firm was looking to lower costs by looking overseas to for drafting and modeling labor. We had a company wide meeting where the owner told everyone that while they had been exploring options, they did not feel the service for the money paid was worth going that route and that our jobs were safe. A week later a company in India beat our labor rate by 50% on a proposal and 3 days later most of the company was laid off. I wasn't lied to...**** happens, circumstances change, and you adapt and move on. Did they know about the deal ahead of time...hell if I know, and I am not wasting any time trying to figure it out. Onward and hopefully upward.

It's hard to beat out slave wage labor from other countries. China is the worst of those. Some child in a sweat shop probably made your shoes getting paid nothing.

No doubt smiths an upgrade at the OC but Wilson is huge waste of time just as trubiski was. If fields is all that then he should be ready to step right in and lead this team right now! There is nothing to be learned on the bench! nothing! but the fact is fields is not an upgrade over pickett. Period! If he was the eagles would have picked him up. They have a better track record of this than we do. This is just another “hey look at me I’m a bad *** deal maker! look at me switching it up in the qb room!!“ grand standing by coach tomlin! He’s becoming famous for this! Any more bad decisions coming out of our so called “brain trust“ ? Just wait for the draft!

This sure seems like the offense Smith is trying to install in the Steelers this season. And I think both Russell and Fields are superior QBs to Tannehill. Only question is will the OL hold up their end.

A ball control offense is really going to help our defense too. It should be much fresher which will only help with our pass rush.

This is not how the real world works.

It's already been stated - companies and firms operate like this every freaking day.

No one is getting coddled. This/these are businesses and it's all about the almighty dollar. You don't perform or help make money because of your poor performance--- that's on you.

And that's the simple truth.
Who stated? Obviously it must be pure speculation on your part. No one knows the ins and outs of every companies operating procedures. And I can speculate myself in this day of age their are plenty off companies that coddle their employees. Especially in these last 3 and a half years.

Last edited:
How do we know without any resolve that Kenny was lied to???
Because Wilson was promised to start over Fields and apparently he is a better prospect then Pickett. Tomlin personally called Wilson to maje sure he wasn't butt hurt by the Fields signing. Pickett's only chance to start next year was Wilson injury or regular season failure.

This sure seems like the offense Smith is trying to install in the Steelers this season. And I think both Russell and Fields are superior QBs to Tannehill. Only question is will the OL hold up their end.

A ball control offense is really going to help our defense too. It should be much fresher which will only help with our pass rush.
I hope we goes heavy on the OL early in the draft!!!

Will go a long way.....speculatively speaking that is.

I hope we goes heavy on the OL early in the draft!!!

Will go a long way.....speculatively speaking that is.
I agree. I'm still good signing one vet OL too. We really can't afford to try to be cheap there this season.