• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Arthur Smith's Offense

I could never understand why, as much as Canada ran the ball, he didn't use or rely on a play-action pass scheme. It was there for the taking just as his job turned out to be.

Kenny's performance in 2 minute situations is what leads me to believe he is capable of a lot more in the right offense.

It was the exact same way with Ben in his one season with Canada as OC. Terrible for three quarters, but great in the fourth.

Something was just off with Canada, not just the base offense he was calling in the middle of games, but seemingly the way he was coaching the QBs to execute them during the week.

It's not a coincidence Kenny had his best game as a passer in his one full game without Canada.

Who's to say Rudolph would have played as well as he did if Canada was still OC?

I am in the camp that letting Kenny go was a mistake, but the Steelers felt their hand was forced with the way he responded to the Wilson signing.

Kenny could have handled it differently, but the question is whether the Steelers could have done the same in terms of their communication with both Kenny and Wilson.
I wanted to see Kenny be the guy, but only 1 game in 25 where he played a solid 4 quarters was very concerning. His college weaknesses being totally exposed this past season was also a major issue. The Steelers failed him in his development, but he also did nothing to show he could be anything more than a system QB. Everyone said it without saying it. Blame was place on the OC, the OL, the lack of running game, bad routes by the WRs. A lot of the poor play was on Pickett himself. I could see him succeeding elsewhere, however, not in this environment created by Tomlin.

With Fields, I hope they use this season to help build the roster and a system to his strengths where he can sit behind Wilson for a year, maybe get some snaps this season, and have it ready to roll in 2025. I'd love for him to be the long-term option so we don't stay in this QB purgatory.

My point is this there is literally no way they said Russ you are gonna have to compete with Kenny for the starting job. But Russ you do not have to compete with Fields because we did not draft Justin but hey we are loyal to Kenny. Like c'mon.

Oh, I get yaz SteelerSask, hear fully where you are coming from. No offense of any kind intended.

As for the loyalty to players, The ONLY loyalty I have is for the time they are a Pittsburgh Steelers player. I don’t know any of them and they don’t know me. I hold accountable (same as coaches) but also know their time is limited. The player should also know that their time is limited.

Things change from a player’s perspective as well as a coaches / GM’s / owner’s / fan’s eyes, etc. etc.. Fact of business and coaching / team sports.

Who is to say that Tomlin didn’t approach the Pickett and break the news to him forthright once the team decision was made and secured? Who is to say how the direction of the team changed headings and pursued an uncharacteristic course of action?

Salute the nation

Oh, I get yaz SteelerSask, hear fully where you are coming from. No offense of any kind intended.

As for the loyalty to players, The ONLY loyalty I have is for the time they are a Pittsburgh Steelers player. I don’t know any of them and they don’t know me. I hold accountable (same as coaches) but also know their time is limited. The player should also know that their time is limited.

Things change from a player’s perspective as well as a coaches / GM’s / owner’s / fan’s eyes, etc. etc.. Fact of business and coaching / team sports.

Who is to say that Tomlin didn’t approach the Pickett and break the news to him forthright once the team decision was made and secured? Who is to say how the direction of the team changed headings and pursued an uncharacteristic course of action?

Salute the nation
The Steelers have every right to conduct their business as they see fit. As does the player. I just don't like people here making Pickett sound like a whinney *****. I have infinite more respect for players who want to move because they wanna play then soneine like DJ. And like I said if you think Pickett is a diva wait till you get to know Russ.

The Steelers have every right to conduct their business as they see fit. As does the player. I just don't like people here making Pickett sound like a whinney *****. I have infinite more respect for players who want to move because they wanna play then soneine like DJ. And like I said if you think Pickett is a diva wait till you get to know Russ.
Yep.....diva.....Wilson>Pickett. I am sure some will say Wilson has the right to be the diva because he won a SB and was in 2. Surely speculation on my part though.

He won't be playing in philly unless injury strikes, so the same as staying here but there he is competing against a younger QB yet way more accomplished.

He put his career in a worse situation and no one is changing my mind about it

He won't be playing in philly unless injury strikes, so the same as staying here but there he is competing against a younger QB yet way more accomplished.

He put his career in a worse situation and no one is changing my mind about it
Sometimes you just want better people running the show for you.

Russ isn't just a diva he is super douchey. If he wins it will be fine but if it goes bad it's gonna go real bad.

I always pictured Russ in a diva glitter dress. He seems like such a runway model. Hey, I hope he can win us games. But my perception of him is that he is a girly man.

One has a winning record, the other a losing record.
So, do you believe that Kenny would have had a winning record for the Bears over the last two years? I don't. That team's problems were significant and many.

So, do you believe that Kenny would have had a winning record for the Bears over the last two years? I don't. That team's problems were significant and many.
The better question is if Fields plays exactly like he did for the bears his first two seasons on the steelers teams the past two years... do we even come close to a winning record..

Remember fields was less accurate than pickett in their first two seasons, he was a turnover machine, held on to the ball long and took way too many sacks, and he had really bad performance in 4th quarters of games... he has a ton of games where he was trailing in the 4th but was close enough to win, yet only has two comebacks to date... and under Tomlin it doesnt matter who the qb is, we always play to keep it close and win it in the 4th like boneheads...

Pickett obviously didnt drive offense as we needed him to, but after his first couple games he never really did anything to lose games, and when they were trailing late, he got more aggressive and won like six games for us... i have seen nothing in fields resume saying he can manage a game right now... he is still trying to justify his draft position and making tons of bad plays...

Pickett obviously didnt drive offense as we needed him to, but after his first couple games he never really did anything to lose games
When the offense cannot stay on the field after repeated 3 and outs so our defense is gassed by the 4th quarter that is losing football. There is more to doing things to lose a game besides throwing interceptions. His penchant for rolling out of the pocket when there was no pressure and taking 10 and 12 yard sacks is losing football. Constantly putting the team in 3rd and long because of all of his dump off passes or missed throws, that is losing football. What Fields does or does not do is irrelevant to what Pickett can or cannot do. Pickett was a way below average NFL QB, and his game film and stats show that he was below average. Neither Wilson or Fields is locked in as a long term solution unless they show they can be the guy the Steelers need under center. Continuing any further with Pickett was just delaying the inevitable.

When the offense cannot stay on the field after repeated 3 and outs so our defense is gassed by the 4th quarter that is losing football. There is more to doing things to lose a game besides throwing interceptions. His penchant for rolling out of the pocket when there was no pressure and taking 10 and 12 yard sacks is losing football. Constantly putting the team in 3rd and long because of all of his dump off passes or missed throws, that is losing football. What Fields does or does not do is irrelevant to what Pickett can or cannot do. Pickett was a way below average NFL QB, and his game film and stats show that he was below average. Neither Wilson or Fields is locked in as a long term solution unless they show they can be the guy the Steelers need under center. Continuing any further with Pickett was just delaying the inevitable.
Tomlin's NEVER has had a losing season.🤔

I wanted to see Kenny be the guy, but only 1 game in 25 where he played a solid 4 quarters was very concerning. His college weaknesses being totally exposed this past season was also a major issue. The Steelers failed him in his development, but he also did nothing to show he could be anything more than a system QB. Everyone said it without saying it. Blame was place on the OC, the OL, the lack of running game, bad routes by the WRs. A lot of the poor play was on Pickett himself. I could see him succeeding elsewhere, however, not in this environment created by Tomlin.

With Fields, I hope they use this season to help build the roster and a system to his strengths where he can sit behind Wilson for a year, maybe get some snaps this season, and have it ready to roll in 2025. I'd love for him to be the long-term option so we don't stay in this QB purgatory.

I do not think it is fair to say that Kenny only had one solid game in his time with the Steelers. His stats were never spectacular, but I thought his game against the Raiders last season was good, and in the second half of his rookie season, he was showing clear progression.

I believe the Steelers were one of the better teams in the league at converting third downs during that stretch and Kenny was a big reason for that.

That second half of 2022 is why Canada wasn't fired afterward, IMO, but Kenny clearly regressed in 2023, and Canada was fired mid-season as a result. Even amid his struggles, he avoided turnovers and made plays in crucial situations more often than not, which is partly why he had a winning record.

Something just didn't mesh with Kenny and Canada, whatever it was.

I really wanted to see what Kenny could do with another OC in 2024, and as I said, I think the Steelers did too, but the plan changed when they realized they had a shot at Wilson for as cheaply as they did.

Kenny felt he was lied to and the rest is history. Some reports suggest Rudolph felt the same way, and he probably has an even bigger gripe than Kenny given he was statistically one the best QBs in the league the last month of the season and played fairly well in the playoff game.

They basically bought a one year, "boom or bust" lottery ticket with Wilson, though I'm not sure he is going to offer that much of an upgrade, especially compared to what Rudolph gave them toward the end of last season.

I have little hope of Fields developing into a franchise QB. People who think he has a better chance of developing into one than Kenny are nuts. It's not all about arm strength and running ability.

You can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat.

ONLY thing that could vary in this is ”you can’t put the pudding back in the box”

Salute the nation

I do not think it is fair to say that Kenny only had one solid game in his time with the Steelers. His stats were never spectacular, but I thought his game against the Raiders last season was good, and in the second half of his rookie season, he was showing clear progression.

I believe the Steelers were one of the better teams in the league at converting third downs during that stretch and Kenny was a big reason for that.

That second half of 2022 is why Canada wasn't fired afterward, IMO, but Kenny clearly regressed in 2023, and Canada was fired mid-season as a result. Even amid his struggles, he avoided turnovers and made plays in crucial situations more often than not, which is partly why he had a winning record.

Something just didn't mesh with Kenny and Canada, whatever it was.

I really wanted to see what Kenny could do with another OC in 2024, and as I said, I think the Steelers did too, but the plan changed when they realized they had a shot at Wilson for as cheaply as they did.

Kenny felt he was lied to and the rest is history. Some reports suggest Rudolph felt the same way, and he probably has an even bigger gripe than Kenny given he was statistically one the best QBs in the league the last month of the season and played fairly well in the playoff game.

They basically bought a one year, "boom or bust" lottery ticket with Wilson, though I'm not sure he is going to offer that much of an upgrade, especially compared to what Rudolph gave them toward the end of last season.

I have little hope of Fields developing into a franchise QB. People who think he has a better chance of developing into one than Kenny are nuts. It's not all about arm strength and running ability.
I'm going to stand by that Kenny only had one game with a full 4 quarters played well in his career, but I am down with the rest of this. His faults are really, really bad in the NFL, but he was always going to take time to develop. I still think Tomlin wanted him to go out and win the starting job away from Wilson, so it was pretty disappointing he just gave up without trying. I also want Pickett to succeed wherever he lands long-term and I'll always be disappointed the Steelers didn't set him up for success and also that he didn't show enough signs to give the team confidence moving forward.

The better question is if Fields plays exactly like he did for the bears his first two seasons on the steelers teams the past two years... do we even come close to a winning record..

Remember fields was less accurate than pickett in their first two seasons, he was a turnover machine, held on to the ball long and took way too many sacks, and he had really bad performance in 4th quarters of games... he has a ton of games where he was trailing in the 4th but was close enough to win, yet only has two comebacks to date... and under Tomlin it doesnt matter who the qb is, we always play to keep it close and win it in the 4th like boneheads...

Pickett obviously didnt drive offense as we needed him to, but after his first couple games he never really did anything to lose games, and when they were trailing late, he got more aggressive and won like six games for us... i have seen nothing in fields resume saying he can manage a game right now... he is still trying to justify his draft position and making tons of bad plays...
So the short answer to my question would be: "No."

The question I would follow up your question with would be "why?"

Fields situation his first two years with the Bears as far as anyone can tell is one of the worst positions any young QB has ever been put in .

Year one - he wasnt supposed play and was supposed to sit behind Dalton and Foles but Magu named him the #2 and then played him instead of Foles in a offense built for Dalton after Da;ton was hurt. This seemed to be done because Nagy was on the hotseat and as a last ditch effort to save his job

We saw Fields his rookie year and we saw him lead that team down the field in the 4th quarter to give the the lead over us but then saw the Bears defense allow Big Ben to drive right down the field

Year two
- The Bears fired the GM and the coach and started over but they didnt even try to build a team around Fields in year two they actually decided to dump all expensive contracts and take the dead cap that year and start over . The Bears moves from coaching to free agency those 2 years vs this year with Caleb tells us there was really no plan for Fields development .

The Bears also had without a doubt the worst wideout room in the league that year but Fields basically carried that team with his legs to the point where he was voted to the NFL top 100 (#86) on the basis of that season which is crazy.The defense gave up 27 ppg the worst in the league that year

There were videos I saw on twitter this week from Bears GM Poles who says this and from Lucas? who was in the front office that drafted Fields that once you listen to them you can see how Fields got unintentionally screwed over.

I dont feel as if its really fair to either Pickett or Fields to compare them because the situations each QB was brought into were so different .

The oine thing Ill add is that when looking at how a team can be successful you have to say what are you gonna try and do as a offense .

The Bears with Fields were top 5 last year in Time of possession and were a top 2 rushing team in the league the past two years . The Bears fields led offense also averaged the same amount of points as Russel's Broncos offense(21 ppg) . We were bottom 5 in ppg (15ppg). Im excited because like Tomlin because I think Fields still has a ton of untapped potential upon watching some film one of the most glaring things I noticed was that the Bears didnt really have a dump off back while both Russ benefitted heavily from throwing to the backs in Denver l;ast year and we had Warren the Bears did not have that option available to Fields to simply dump it off and no take the sack. Asking around a lot of Bears fans believe thats the reason they quickly went for Swift . That gives me some confidence that we know how we can alleviate some of the pressure on Fields .

I could never understand why, as much as Canada ran the ball, he didn't use or rely on a play-action pass scheme. It was there for the taking just as his job turned out to be.
When the D crept 9 and 10 into the box....PA screamed at you and everyone else for sure. Canada simply ran it though.

The question I would follow up your question with would be "why?"

Fields situation his first two years with the Bears as far as anyone can tell is one of the worst positions any young QB has ever been put in .

Year one - he wasnt supposed play and was supposed to sit behind Dalton and Foles but Magu named him the #2 and then played him instead of Foles in a offense built for Dalton after Da;ton was hurt. This seemed to be done because Nagy was on the hotseat and as a last ditch effort to save his job

We saw Fields his rookie year and we saw him lead that team down the field in the 4th quarter to give the the lead over us but then saw the Bears defense allow Big Ben to drive right down the field

Year two - The Bears fired the GM and the coach and started over but they didnt even try to build a team around Fields in year two they actually decided to dump all expensive contracts and take the dead cap that year and start over . The Bears moves from coaching to free agency those 2 years vs this year with Caleb tells us there was really no plan for Fields development .

The Bears also had without a doubt the worst wideout room in the league that year but Fields basically carried that team with his legs to the point where he was voted to the NFL top 100 (#86) on the basis of that season which is crazy.The defense gave up 27 ppg the worst in the league that year

There were videos I saw on twitter this week from Bears GM Poles who says this and from Lucas? who was in the front office that drafted Fields that once you listen to them you can see how Fields got unintentionally screwed over.

I dont feel as if its really fair to either Pickett or Fields to compare them because the situations each QB was brought into were so different .

The oine thing Ill add is that when looking at how a team can be successful you have to say what are you gonna try and do as a offense .

The Bears with Fields were top 5 last year in Time of possession and were a top 2 rushing team in the league the past two years . The Bears fields led offense also averaged the same amount of points as Russel's Broncos offense(21 ppg) . We were bottom 5 in ppg (15ppg). Im excited because like Tomlin because I think Fields still has a ton of untapped potential upon watching some film one of the most glaring things I noticed was that the Bears didnt really have a dump off back while both Russ benefitted heavily from throwing to the backs in Denver l;ast year and we had Warren the Bears did not have that option available to Fields to simply dump it off and no take the sack. Asking around a lot of Bears fans believe thats the reason they quickly went for Swift . That gives me some confidence that we know how we can alleviate some of the pressure on Fields .
So all that explains all of his TO's? Ummm....OK. Any way......Wilson will be our starter....not Fields.

So all that explains all of his TO's? Ummm....OK. Any way......Wilson will be our starter....not Fields.

Until injury or performance based. Fields will see the field, later in the season.

I’d be more confident if I felt we had someone who could develop players better.

Salute the nation

I don't believe any of us can accurately diagnose either Pickett or Fields. Two Quarterbacks put into **** situations and really found no sense of footing with their respective clubs for various reasons. KP may never see the field again barring injury, blow out score, or traded to desperate team and he's the right fit, so we may never know for certain of his potential. Fields on the other hand, In this run first scheme and his mobility in a play action passing scheme...he will show us what he's made of and the Steelers may have gotten a steal for this young man. Time will tell all.