• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Coaching ... another season.

We aren’t sniffing another Super Bowl as long as Tomlin is the coach but he will be here as long as he wants to be. Will it be 1 more year? 10 more? 20 more? It’s a shame but it is what it is. I suggest going outside and touching grass. Go do something else besides watch professional football. It’s a **** product anyways.

This is what a man who was passionate and loved his team sounds like. Not a guy who just stands around the sidelines thinking about what words he's going to dazzle the local worthless pandering media with after the game.

I miss the Cowher era. Football seemed more pure despite the lousy late 90’s seasons. Maybe that’s just because I was a youngster back in this era and had no concept of $$$, marketing, free agency etc

Every coach has his expiration date with a team and feels like Tomlin had his with the Steelers about a decade ago, practically wasting the "killer B" era.

He's now been with the Steelers longer than Cowher, and Cowher was just a year removed from a championship when he retired.

Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in six years and his defenses have been absolutely stomped in each of the last four playoff losses.

He's also developed a fetish for an excessively horizontal passing game that really started with Fichtner at OC and has gotten worse with Canada.

Tomlin peaked early on and has gotten by on reputation since.

The first mistake was taking the ball first… lets forget that there is a natural advantage to having the first possession after the half in close games…

If we kick off, the 9rs most likely start behind their 30.…now, If its 4th and a yard to go against a good d and an opponent with a potentially good offense and you are on your side of the field, you punt….
if its the same situation and you are over the 50, you probably go for it… that gives your d a little cushion if you fail…

Remember the 49rs got the ball at their 45 after a 32 yard punt… they drove 9 yards… then went for it on 4th down… if they have that ball staring on the 25 then push to the 34… they punt… that changes the entire dynamic of the game.

It was arrogant to take the ball first. It cost them playing from behind all game long

That arrogance has been present for some time. Receiving the ball at start of game definitely gives the advantage away right off the start. Both sides are hyped and nervous but the “O” tends to break down faster than the “D” in this respects of starting out the game.

Our coaching (HC) has had that arrogance for some time now.

Maybe he was trying to release an “early” version of hellA.

Salute the nation

The first mistake was taking the ball first… lets forget that there is a natural advantage to having the first possession after the half in close games…

If we kick off, the 9rs most likely start behind their 30.…now, If its 4th and a yard to go against a good d and an opponent with a potentially good offense and you are on your side of the field, you punt….
if its the same situation and you are over the 50, you probably go for it… that gives your d a little cushion if you fail…

Remember the 49rs got the ball at their 45 after a 32 yard punt… they drove 9 yards… then went for it on 4th down… if they have that ball staring on the 25 then push to the 34… they punt… that changes the entire dynamic of the game.

It was arrogant to take the ball first. It cost them playing from behind all game long
I have absolutely no idea what your response to my post has to do with what I said. No idea at all.
But since you did....here’s my reply to what you wrote.
You sure like to use a lot of if’s. If this if that. Guess what. They did take the ball and what happened,happened. The defense had a chance to stop them,they didn’t. I agree that they should have given the ball to San Fran to start the game. They usually do chose to KO.
I have no idea why you think if San Fran got the ball first everything would have happened the same way,same plays called at the same yardage markers. Even going for a 4th down. Lol. Who’s to say they don’t hand off to CM and he goes for a 75 yard romp. You don’t know,and either do I.

“ it was arrogant to take the ball first. It cost them playing from behind all game long”
If after watching that game yesterday,you think the game would have changed drastically if San Fran got the ball first the outcome would have been anything different after they totally ***** - slapped us all game long....well I just don’t know what to say.

Every coach has his expiration date with a team and feels like Tomlin had his with the Steelers about a decade ago, practically wasting the "killer B" era.

He's now been with the Steelers longer than Cowher, and Cowher was just a year removed from a championship when he retired.

Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in six years and his defenses have been absolutely stomped in each of the last four playoff losses.

He's also developed a fetish for an excessively horizontal passing game that really started with Fichtner at OC and has gotten worse with Canada.

Tomlin peaked early on and has gotten by on reputation since.
It's been steady degrading since 2010. As the 2005&2008 champions moved on or retired,the culture slowly morphed into what it is now. The departure of Dick LeBeau was never even close to being replaced.

What a let down. And on top of all of that fans are selling out tickets to the enemy.

It is what it is.

On a positive note. A lot of good teams and quarterbacks looked like absolute *** this first weekend.

Josh Allen has turned it over 4 times this evening.

I failed to talk about the defensive coaching. Last year the defense felt like three starts, a couple of glue players and a bunch of lower-level pieces. This year's group felt more balanced and a unit capable of physically beating other teams. They got beat up on Sunday. The 49ers are really how the Steelers think they are built, but are miles away from it.

I failed to talk about the defensive coaching. Last year the defense felt like three starts, a couple of glue players and a bunch of lower-level pieces. This year's group felt more balanced and a unit capable of physically beating other teams. They got beat up on Sunday. The 49ers are really how the Steelers think they are built, but are miles away from it.
They need to continue building the trenches. They started this off-season, they should continue in the next. You are right they are miles away from being San Fran. With competent coaching perhaps that gap narrows. Unfortunately we won't get to see a change in the near future. They can get all the shiny new pieces in the world but if they can't get them to be cohesive in a scheme that works... then that substandard standard will keep playing on the record player, obviously.

They need to continue building the trenches. They started this off-season, they should continue in the next. You are right they are miles away from being San Fran. With competent coaching perhaps that gap narrows. Unfortunately we won't get to see a change in the near future. They can get all the shiny new pieces in the world but if they can't get them to be cohesive in a scheme that works... then that substandard standard will keep playing on the record player, obviously.
Even the rebuilt interior OL was bad relative to expectations. With Okorafor leaving the game, I wonder how long he’ll be out and ifJones/Moore moving forward.

On a positive, Benton looked good in his debut.

Scheme on both side of the ball are very disappointing. O’Canada was my B-I-G-E-S-T concern going into the season, he didn’t disappoint in justifying my concern.

What is it that is so attractive to this offensive scheme / philosophy ?

I can see Defenses laughing all season long all the while season ticket holders providing opposing teams home field advantage…….

Salute the nation

Lot of dumbasses on Twitter...the problem is higher up than that.
don't discount the power of social media to be an influencing factor in decisions.

Canada still is owed money on his contract.
fact

assuming Tomlin grew some over the last 48 hours, who would we replace Canaduh with?

Canada still is owed money on his contract.

I know we are stuck in this quagmire of coaching. Nothing will happen this year but my gosh, even a blind fingerless brail reading midget, can see the writing on the wall as to what needs to be done……..

Salute the nation

Last edited:
fact

assuming Tomlin grew some over the last 48 hours, who would we replace Canaduh with?

A very awesome moderator from here……_____————————————-(don’t pack your bags yet )

Salute the nation

Canada should be reassigned as the team pastry chef.

Canada handles the pastry department, 1-2 set, sends the eggs and flour in motion, and this is the result:

Saltine-Crackers.JPG

I know it’s asking a lot, but I would love for the Steelers to bring in a young, innovative OC that actually runs a scheme that fits his players and gets the most out of them. I can’t imagine what Tomlin or anyone in the Steelers organization sees in Canada’s offense that makes them believe it is going to be successful. At some point you HAVE to make a change. You are wasting the careers of some special players and destroying the development of young guys with great potential. It’s madness. I mean, it’s not like this is the first game this sort of **** happened. It’s every damn game.

I know it’s asking a lot, but I would love for the Steelers to bring in a young, innovative OC that actually runs a scheme that fits his players and gets the most out of them. I can’t imagine what Tomlin or anyone in the Steelers organization sees in Canada’s offense that makes them believe it is going to be successful. At some point you HAVE to make a change. You are wasting the careers of some special players and destroying the development of young guys with great potential. It’s madness. I mean, it’s not like this is the first game this sort of **** happened. It’s every damn game.
is there anyone connected to Tomlin who once ran a decent offense?

Lyron Beftwich
Heineken Wards
maybe?

is there anyone connected to Tomlin who once ran a decent offense?

Lyron Beftwich
Heineken Wards
maybe?

Well, at least O'Canada had some college experience as opposed to when Mike's kids were in youth football........... they had a pretty tough offense so-------

Salute the nation

What did we win with our killer B tandem? Ben Bell and Brown? I believe we had an awesome TE and OL to boot.
The killer Bees could have came in off the couch sunday 2 years removed from the league and looked better than "Pick-it", "1.1" and "dj drops"

The guy that helps Canada. I don't know his name. He is next man up. But he will do as tough guy Tomlin says. So....no change.

The killer Bees could have came in off the couch sunday 2 years removed from the league and looked better than "Pick-it", "1.1" and "dj drops"
Agreed. And we would have lost 30 to 28 instead of 30 to 7.

Tomlin just admitted that exceptional players going down means you have to adjust schemes…, apparently the standard is tge standard isn’t right lol

You can teach an old dog new tricks….