• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Coaching Change Thread

Plus they're losing a ton of their team this offseason and they have not been great in the portal. Chargers is a great job too. They have a playoff roster right now. It was poor coaching making them underperform. Franchise QB, top pass rusher, great LT. If you were to list the top 3 building blocks of a team those would be the 3 and the chargers have them.

I wonder if Belichick will get more interest now that Harbaugh is off the board. They are in the same category of hard nosed, fundamentals, run game and defense, but Harbaugh is younger and more hyped. Now teams looking for more structure may be looking to BB.
There are only two openings left and Ben Johnson still hasn't been hired. I'd fully expect him to get one of those jobs.

Panthers hiring Tampa OC Dave Canales who has the rep of a QB whisperer

Falcons go with Raheem Morris. I'm surprised they went with a defensive coach. That offense has weapons but is sputtering without a QB. I thought they'd wait for Brian Johnson.

I agree Brian Johnson seems a lock for one of the remaining 2 jobs. Maybe Seattle and Wash will get in a bidding war for him.

Patriots - Jerod Mayo
Raiders - Antonio Pierce
Titans - Brian Callahan
Chargers - Jim Harbaugh
Panthers - Dave canales
Falcons - Raheem Morris
Seahawks -
Commanders -

Panthers hiring Tampa OC Dave Canales who has the rep of a QB whisperer

Falcons go with Raheem Morris. I'm surprised they went with a defensive coach. That offense has weapons but is sputtering without a QB. I thought they'd wait for Brian Johnson.

I agree Brian Johnson seems a lock for one of the remaining 2 jobs. Maybe Seattle and Wash will get in a bidding war for him.

Patriots - Jerod Mayo
Raiders - Antonio Pierce
Titans - Brian Callahan
Chargers - Jim Harbaugh
Panthers - Dave canales
Falcons - Raheem Morris
Seahawks -
Commanders -
Rumor is that Raheem is bringing the latest QB Guru/Passing game coordinator for the rams, Zac Robinson, with him. The guy we'd have been at least moderately happy to see in that role with the Steelers.

10th in points against in 2022
6th in points against in 2023

I'll give him this, the defense absolutely carried the team to many of the wins these past two seasons. There was minimal margin for error because of the incompetence of the offense.

My issue with the defense is the seemingly lack of blitzing, they depend on their front 4 to get the job done and if they don't, no one gets the job done. This leads to the second problem, which is the entire philosophy of get to the QB and splash plays. When it doesn't work, they can get shredded. Also, elite offenses or QBs eat this defense alive.

Beyond Austin, it's Tomlin's defense and whatever they do during the playoffs isn't working. Five straight defensive meltdowns in the playoffs shouldn't be acceptable. With Austin staying, I hope they build the defensive staff. There are too many good players on this defense to have so many communication breakdowns.
I hate how they misuse minkah

I hate how they misuse minkah

I don't think they have a choice. Polamalu was able to do his thing because they had Chris Hope, then Ryan Clark as a reliable partner. They also had ILBs like Farrior.

Now they've been weak at ILB pretty much since Shazier got injured and the other safety spot has been hit or miss. Edmunds was OK but limited.

MInkah is no Troy. Nobody is. I bet they'd like Minkah to be more of a chess piece but he's kind of locked in place because the secondary has been shaky.

I'll give him this, the defense absolutely carried the team to many of the wins these past two seasons. There was minimal margin for error because of the incompetence of the offense.

My issue with the defense is the seemingly lack of blitzing, they depend on their front 4 to get the job done and if they don't, no one gets the job done. This leads to the second problem, which is the entire philosophy of get to the QB and splash plays. When it doesn't work, they can get shredded. Also, elite offenses or QBs eat this defense alive.

Beyond Austin, it's Tomlin's defense and whatever they do during the playoffs isn't working. Five straight defensive meltdowns in the playoffs shouldn't be acceptable. With Austin staying, I hope they build the defensive staff. There are too many good players on this defense to have so many communication breakdowns.
I think I understand why they blitzed less this season...
That defense was decimated at ILB and Safety.
I think Austin did a very good job despite the circumstances.
Hell...there were times when I had to have a roster or ask who in the hell is that guy on defense this year on several occasions.

On the bright side...I feel we found some players because of this...

BTW---I believe that 39 does not want to be here any longer...and I feel the organization senses or knows that also.
I could see him being traded in the off-season.

Just a gut feel and my 6th sense activating... ;)

Yes, the defense - on occasion - has carried the team.

My point is - there are Steeler coaches on the gravy train by acquiring talent at certain positions so as to give the appearance of coaching achievement.

Look at the Steeler record when Watt is out ----- 1 -10

Is THAT a successful DC in operation ? NO
Is there an opportunity to improve on that ? YES

Then the questions are :
'Why aren't we doing it ? '
'Why are we extending the contract of a DC that can't win games without one player ?'
'Why do we have the 2nd highest payroll on defense without the defensive production that should be expected ?'

Shades coaches the D. I have no coaching experience outside of my son’s T-ball team and if I got hired as DC they wouldn’t be any better or worse.
Any jabroni off the street will do.
Ever had a losing season? :)

Yes, the defense - on occasion - has carried the team.

My point is - there are Steeler coaches on the gravy train by acquiring talent at certain positions so as to give the appearance of coaching achievement.

Look at the Steeler record when Watt is out ----- 1 -10

Is THAT a successful DC in operation ? NO
Is there an opportunity to improve on that ? YES

Then the questions are :
'Why aren't we doing it ? '
'Why are we extending the contract of a DC that can't win games without one player ?'
'Why do we have the 2nd highest payroll on defense without the defensive production that should be expected ?'
Cause Tomlin doesn't want capable coaches that might become a threat to his throne. He gets mediocre guys

Cause Tomlin doesn't want capable coaches that might become a threat to his throne. He gets mediocre guys
Proven by letting Flores walk to retain Austin

The best they’ve looked in a long while was a result of having a “hand in the pile guy”

Amazing what actually coaching players does for results rather than hiding his deer in headlights, checked out look spewing sound bites and catch phrases

Clearly he is so damn mid anyone that legitimately even tries is a threat to King Shades seat at the throne

Wheel in the court jester Dookie Deuce with the extension for the king so we can all start laughing at what a joke it’s becoming

I don't think they have a choice. Polamalu was able to do his thing because they had Chris Hope, then Ryan Clark as a reliable partner. They also had ILBs like Farrior.

Now they've been weak at ILB pretty much since Shazier got injured and the other safety spot has been hit or miss. Edmunds was OK but limited.

MInkah is no Troy. Nobody is. I bet they'd like Minkah to be more of a chess piece but he's kind of locked in place because the secondary has been shaky.
When Minkah first came over he was everywhere then he got Tomlinized. Like you said part of the problem has been our ILB play, but i feel not letting minkah free roam hurts the secondary and then we are weak at 2 spots. Troy maybe had the best football instincts of any player ever. When he did guess wrong we had guys to cover the error. We just don't have that anymore.

I do think it is funny that I am seeing many people on social Media who say Kenny only wins games because of the defense also calling for Austin to be let go. Not defending him or saying I agree either way just that it seems to be a contradiction in arguments.

I do think it is funny that I am seeing many people on social Media who say Kenny only wins games because of the defense also calling for Austin to be let go. Not defending him or saying I agree either way just that it seems to be a contradiction in arguments.
People just want to see W's, it's as simple as that. Win and all the negative comments fade away.

I'll admit I had some misguided frustration towards Austin. The regular season defense has done its job the past two seasons keeping teams out of the end zone. My frustrations come into play when the Steelers have played top teams, they get shredded in both the regular and postseason, so that was my focus. I do think they need to improve in that area and absolutely need to do something different in the playoffs. Five straight consecutive playoff games allowing over 30 points is absurd.

Lost me at social media
Where morons go to preach their stupidity
Pass

Lost me at social media
Where morons go to preach their stupidity
Pass
Isn't this social media in a manner of speaking? We certainly have our share of morons. Myself included occasionally.

Last edited:
Isn't this social media in a manner of speaking? We certainly have our share of morons. Myself include occasionally.
speaking of typing Moronic stuff. With BB apparently not getting a HC position, would you hire him as a def. consultant? Kinda like Flores a few years ago?

speaking of typing Moronic stuff. With BB apparently not getting a HC position, would you hire him as a def. consultant? Kinda like Flores a few years ago?
If he cant see the writing on the wall....he is not as smart as he thinks he is.

Shades coaches the D. I have no coaching experience outside of my son’s T-ball team and if I got hired as DC they wouldn’t be any better or worse.
Any jabroni off the street will do.
Just take away the tampa 2 **** Tomlin likes to use. Invest in a quality NT to draw double teams, which in turn allows you to dial up exotic blitz packages with your DE’s and LB’s.

Oh and don’t be afraid to have your corners play man. Porter Jr is a physical kid. Man coverage. All Minkah needs is a little bit of time to be able to react to the play properly. Disrupt an opposing receiver’s route. You increase Minkah’s strengths.

:)

Just take away the tampa 2 **** Tomlin likes to use. Invest in a quality NT to draw double teams, which in turn allows you to dial up exotic blitz packages with your DE’s and LB’s.
Tampa 2 is a hill that Shades will die on.