• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Coaching Change Thread

Nobody should be coaching after 70... those dinosaurs should take up golf or fishing or something...
Hopefully they enjoy retirement. Some of these guys have been used to a grinding/regimented schedule for so long. Their sense of purpose tends to go out the window as they retire.

That has to be rough from a stimulatory sense to being in the limelight that much to all of a sudden you’re in retirement with nothing to do

Hopefully they enjoy retirement. Some of these guys have been used to a grinding/regimented schedule for so long. Their sense of purpose tends to go out the window as they retire.

That has to be rough from a stimulatory sense to being in the limelight that much to all of a sudden you’re in retirement with nothing to do
Always a lot of things to do in life. People just have to be willing to try some new things...

I agree. If I had that salary. I’d retire at 40 lol. I’d be enjoying life
When I retire there will be a lot of , "yeahhhs!" But like the wiser one in the house says we need to find those times now as well as hope for them in the future. But the idea of not on the grindstone is attractive.

McCarthy with one foot out the door if they lose this. Down 14-0. Be crazy to see BB or Tomlin in Dallas next year.

Another playoff beatdown. McCarthy may not make it until halftime.

If Tomlin becomes available, I think Jones would absolutely make that move.

Another playoff beatdown. McCarthy may not make it until halftime.

If Tomlin becomes available, I think Jones would absolutely make that move.
Agreed. Probably would be a great match for both.

I am terrified of retirement. I constantly work at something. the idea of not having something to focus in on every day scares me. I don't have that many hobbies

You would be fine. Just don't overthink it and stay busy. Even daily walks, driving and seeing outdoor events, indoor events, downsizing and reorganizing/ cleaning things at home indoors and outdoors, signing up for classes in your area (sure there is a lot that you wouldn't think of -google it), volunteering for something that helps people and or animals. Visiting friends and family, etc.

The more you dig the more you would find to do. 😉

You would be fine. Just don't overthink it and stay busy. Even daily walks, driving and seeing outdoor events, indoor events, downsizing and reorganizing/ cleaning things at home indoors and outdoors, signing up for classes in your area (sure there is a lot that you wouldn't think of -google it), volunteering for something that helps people and or animals. Visiting friends and family, etc.

The more you dig the more you would find to do. 😉
uhgggg. I have 7 years or so until I have to decide to do it but dread it already

uhgggg. I have 7 years or so until I have to decide to do it but dread it already
Just revisit my advice and I can always always shoot you more ideas when that time comes.😉

I think you retire a few years before me...

I'm not planning on retiring. You could always semi-retire i.e. keep working part-time. (I'm assuming that is an option for you - in some fields of work it isn't)

I have always put time aside for leisure as well as work, since a health scare when I was 31 (I'll be 55 in February). I like a balanced life. In recent times I've taken a bit of unpaid leave to do some extra trips, and I'm planning to spend 12 months from June to do my version of the lap of Australia (my version because it's more a lap of the Eastern half of Australia with a flight over west at the end to do a 1,000km hike).

I've always said I'll die in one of three places, in the bush on a bushwalk, at a rock concert, or at work (actually there's probably a fourth possibility - in a yoga class).

Are you forced to retire? If not….just keep working if that makes you happy. Never worry about what others think. Don’t pressure yourself that you need a hobby. You’ll find your way. It just might not happen instantly.
I’ve slowed down a lot,am self employed and now just take on jobs that will make me great money,or loyalty to longtime contractors. Sometimes I work 60 hours a week….and then not at all. Will take a month off. Compared to going nonstop for so many years,it’s actually quite nice.
My job is very physically demanding,so it gives my body a deserved break. But I can see myself taking on the odd job past the 65 mark. My daughter pencils me in to keep care of the grandkids once a week,whether I want to or not….they keep me young. Then the kids always have me fixing this and building that. You’ll be surprised how busy you can get in “retirement “. Always have a dog to get you out on walks,hikes and enjoy the fresh air. I am lucky where I live,go swimming in the ocean at least 4 days a week in summer.
Travel one place a year a little out of your comfort zone. Before you get too old! I’m going back to Nepal this year. It’s a crazy,incredible place.
My Dad has told me for years and years….”You’re dead for a long time “

There is a pastor i really enjoy listening to by the name of Voodie Baucham. In a sermon he was doing he was saying that God really never meant us to retire. That doesn't mean stay at the same job until you die, but his point was just about the time we have figured things out about as much as we are gonna, we are good at what we do, we are able to get out of our own way...it's time to retire. Maybe we should move that knowledge and ability forward somehow.

Older people always did pass on their knowledge. Their wisdom was respected and welcomed. Now young people are taught that everything their parents and grandparents know is wrong and racist and you should ignore them. Oh and your grandparents are consuming too many of the planet’s resources.

Reactions: GMC
Older people always did pass on their knowledge. Their wisdom was respected and welcomed. Now young people are taught that everything their parents and grandparents know is wrong and racist and you should ignore them. Oh and your grandparents are consuming too many of the planet’s resources.

I hear all that you are saying but also note that it’s not all dead …..yet.

Many grandparents (I know) are still passing down as much as possible to their grandkids……. I know I do.

Salute the nation

I am terrified of retirement. I constantly work at something. the idea of not having something to focus in on every day scares me. I dont have that many hobbies
Retired 6 years now and I've become my Dad, turning the garage into a woodshop, making simple things like cutting boards that seem to amaze people and they give me $$$ for them. Find something you enjoy doing, volunteer at a hospital or animal shelter.
Reconnect with your girlfriend from high school.
Take up drinking.
The possibilities are endless.