• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Coaching Change Thread

Holding my thoughts till after the Super Bowl…unless something happens between now and then

Pete Carrol 72
Bill Bellicheck 71
Nick Saban 72
You looking for a presidential candidate, or do you want a crypt keeper to replace Tomlin? Sorry they are much younger than the ancient presidential candidates.

Mike Tomlin 51 He's got 20 more years in him!
20 more years = 200 more wins 140 more losses and MAYBE a single playoff victory

He should definitely get a 20 year extension

What are ya waiting for deuce?

This would be the year to
Trade Tomlin when I think his value is very high.
Teams like Washington, Chicago, Atlanta, LA Chargers could be attractive to Tomlin. The draft capital would be attractive to the Steelers too but of course it won’t happen since the greatest coach ever will get an extension.
As much as I agree. I just don’t see the guy going anywhere else, coaching anywhere else. Rooney is committed to this guy.

He seems to be drawing in something for the media and half the fan base pleased with him.

Chargers get Harbaugh

Patriots - Jerod Mayo
Raiders - Antonio Pierce
Titans - Brian Callahan
Chargers - Jim Harbaugh
Panthers -
Falcons -
Seahawks -
Commanders -

Chargers get Harbaugh

Patriots - Jerod Mayo
Raiders - Antonio Pierce
Titans - Brian Callahan
Chargers - Jim Harbaugh
Panthers -
Falcons -
Seahawks -
Commanders -

Never say never......BUT...c'mon Mikey we can do this. You would be a legend, Michigan can go from that crappy 15-0 record to a quick 6-6 under your "leadership" and the media will tell us how brilliant you were in keeping the team from collapsing after the loss of Harbaugh.

Harbaugh turned down all that $$$ ttun was offering him and headed off to the NFL. Those sanctions coming that program's way had to have been a factor.

Harbaugh turned down all that $$$ ttun was offering him and headed off to the NFL. Those sanctions coming that program's way had to have been a factor.
While possible, I think he also achieved his goal at Michigan and now wants to win a Super Bowl. Sanctions or no sanctions, I think he probably leaves after winning the title.

I’ve always thought that given the choice, I’d rather be a college coach with security than a NFL coach, I wonder if the transfer portal is making some coaches sour on the college gig?

I’ve always thought that given the choice, I’d rather be a college coach with security than a NFL coach, I wonder if the transfer portal is making some coaches sour on the college gig?
The transfer portal and boosters handling NIL has to be miserable. Not only do they have to recruit high schools, but now they need to handle the portal with the boosters getting involved to pay the players plus re-recruit the players on their own team each year. A lot of the veteran college basketball coaches stepped away in part because of this and I think you'll see the same with more and more football coaches as well.

Chargers get Harbaugh

Patriots - Jerod Mayo
Raiders - Antonio Pierce
Titans - Brian Callahan
Chargers - Jim Harbaugh
Panthers -
Falcons -
Seahawks -
Commanders -

He will win a playoff game before Tomlin.

Could someone explain to me how Teryl Austin's job at DC is safe ?
In fact ---- they are looking to EXTEND his contract !?!?! WTF ?

This team has the 2nd highest defensive payroll in the NFL
We are 1-10 when Watt is out --- doesn't that COMPLETELY implicate Austin as doing poorly at his job ?
This team essentially can't win a game without Watt, because our DC can't find a way to win without him.

I don't understand why there isn't outrage about this ?

We are 1-10 when Watt is out --- doesn't that COMPLETELY implicate Austin as doing poorly at his job ?
This team essentially can't win a game without Watt, because our DC can't find a way to win without him.

Because he’s not really the DC, Tomlin is.

It’s been reported this morning that the great Terrell Austin has signed a two year extension.
Well, here’s to another Tomlin yes man.
Shades coaches the D. I have no coaching experience outside of my son’s T-ball team and if I got hired as DC they wouldn’t be any better or worse.
Any jabroni off the street will do.

Shades coaches the D. I have no coaching experience outside of my son’s T-ball team and if I got hired as DC they wouldn’t be any better or worse.
I hear ya Ron but I was hoping when they said sweeping changes it would be bring in a proven DC and let him run the defense.
I guess it’s business as usual with Tomlin’s stupid Tampa Cover 2 and two DL sets.
Some things just remain the same!

I hear ya Ron but I was hoping when they said sweeping changes it would be bring in a proven DC and let him run the defense.
I guess it’s business as usual with Tomlin’s stupid Tampa Cover 2 and two DL sets.
Some things just remain the same!
The D staff isn’t going to change except replacing anyone who leaves.
The O staff isn’t going to change except for OC and replacing anyone who leaves.
That’s Tomlin’s and Deuce’s idea of wholesale change.
Duh is the only coach Shades has fired in 17 years. Everyone else they just wait for their contracts to run out.
I’m convinced that Shades doesn’t like change and doesn’t like to have to hire new people. That’s why everyone he hires is someone he either knows or worked with before.

The D staff isn’t going to change except replacing anyone who leaves.
The O staff isn’t going to change except for OC and replacing anyone who leaves.
That’s Tomlin’s and Deuce’s idea of wholesale change.
Duh is the only coach Shades has fired in 17 years. Everyone else they just wait for their contracts to run out.
I’m convinced that Shades doesn’t like change and doesn’t like to have to hire new people. That’s why everyone he hires is someone he either knows or worked with before.
Ron I still think it was Art II that ordered Duh’s firing. Yes, Tomlin formally told him he was being let go but I think the mandate came from the Deuce after that horrible Browns loss to a street QB.

Not if you love Austin's coffee each morning

Ron I still think it was Art II that ordered Duh’s firing. Yes, Tomlin formally told him he was being let go but I think the mandate came from the Deuce after that horrible Browns loss to a street QB.
Agree, I was giving Shades undeserved credit. Left to his own devices I don’t think Shades would ever get rid of anyone.

10th in points against in 2022
6th in points against in 2023

I'll give him this, the defense absolutely carried the team to many of the wins these past two seasons. There was minimal margin for error because of the incompetence of the offense.

My issue with the defense is the seemingly lack of blitzing, they depend on their front 4 to get the job done and if they don't, no one gets the job done. This leads to the second problem, which is the entire philosophy of get to the QB and splash plays. When it doesn't work, they can get shredded. Also, elite offenses or QBs eat this defense alive.

Beyond Austin, it's Tomlin's defense and whatever they do during the playoffs isn't working. Five straight defensive meltdowns in the playoffs shouldn't be acceptable. With Austin staying, I hope they build the defensive staff. There are too many good players on this defense to have so many communication breakdowns.

Plus they're losing a ton of their team this offseason and they have not been great in the portal. Chargers is a great job too. They have a playoff roster right now. It was poor coaching making them underperform. Franchise QB, top pass rusher, great LT. If you were to list the top 3 building blocks of a team those would be the 3 and the chargers have them.

I wonder if Belichick will get more interest now that Harbaugh is off the board. They are in the same category of hard nosed, fundamentals, run game and defense, but Harbaugh is younger and more hyped. Now teams looking for more structure may be looking to BB.