• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Coach's annual draft review

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Here's my annual draft review, with the fun part being three years watching the guys who I didn't think could play initially by defended by homers, then ultimately flop, while at the same time seeing the picks I endorsed shine. I'm not going to list all of my called busts or approved picks that were good players, you've seen and heard them before. Sure I can be wrong. My main issue is with the number of resources the Steelers have, why do I often do a better job than they do? Like always, I encourage anyone to say who they would have taken. Funny the loudest critics here never seem to do it.

Round one. Colbert traded our first-round pick for Fitzpatrick during the season. I was for this move, and Fitz is one of the best three safeties in football. We have him signed for cheap too for years, and that's key. A move I approved of when it happened. A+

Coach's call. The same player

Round Two. While I really wanted Taylor and would have tried to trade up to get him if possible, I also felt Claypool was a top talent with a freak like abilities / workout numbers would not fall to us in round two. He did, partly because this was a very good WR draft. Claypool reminds me a bit of Plexico Burress, who, when he had his head on right worked very well with Ben. Unlike Burress, Claypool is a monster blocker and has long-striding deep speed to hit the home run. Claypool will open up the sideline passes, can be uses on some TE patterns, will become a very dangerous red-zone weapon a 50/50 type of receiver, and deep ball option either on play-action or vs . cover 3 in the middle. While he doesn't have sudden acceleration to separate or sharp cuts, there is a lot to like on his route tree. Who's going to cover him? A mismatch weapon.

Grade A-

Coach's call. Same player. I would have seriously considered Dobbins, but he failed to work out either t the combine or on Pro day. Prove your speed and agility.

Round Three. Highsmith. While I like Highsmith's effort, this could be a case of small school pass rusher star meeting NFL Tackles. If the Steelers keep Dupree, Highsmith will remain a backup, and he might not be strong enough vs. he run or quick enough as a pass rusher to shine in the NFL. There were better players and more urgent needs on the board.

Grade C

Coach's call. Guard, John Simpson. Simpson needs some work, but he has pro bowl ability as a run blocker. This is a very huge, strong man with long arms and very big hands. Watch him root out a DT's. On screenplay, the other guy, better be quick to get around him because few can stop him head-on. He'll need some seasoning, but the tools are for him to become a really good NFL player.

Round Four ) Running back, MacFarland. The Steelers passed on some good backs in round two. None of the backs that were viewed as starting material fell to them in round 3 . I wonder if they tried to trade up for Taylor? I would have. So when it was their turn round four, this is what they get. While McFarland has good speed and can run outside, I don't view him as a successful in-between the tackles NFL runner, but he could be a nice change of pace 3rd down back bringing speed to a backfield that lacks it. Unfortunately, he's a little small and has injury issues, which likely means I think he'll have injury issues in the NFL, maybe not a rookie, but sooner or later. He also could be a starter sooner than later, too, as Conner is very fragile ( And fumble prone ). Snell is to slow feature, and Samuels too limited / lacks the feel of an every-down back. I am intrigued by Whyte. Not a back pick, but does he solve a long term need?

B

Coach's Call. Same player.

Grade B

Round four ) Guard Kevin Dotson Who? This is a small school player, who I don't recall looking good in the college all start practices or games where he could have proved something was a mystery pick. I checked, Dotson was hurt and underwent surgery and did not attend the senior bowl. He has good timed speed, but reports say he's not agile and has issues with pass blocking. In general, I want to see small school draft prospects prove they can play in the college all-star games. The Steelers have issues on OL. Pouncey is expensive an in decline; age is an issue elsewhere. Dotson is likely not to get a hat. He's raw, and developmental. C+

Coach's call. Center Tyler Biadasz. A blue-collar battle-tested player who can ope up holes and combo block, he would have been a much safer pick. Dotson looks like a project type, a good gamble on for round six, not in round four with needs. I predict since he's taking a big step up in competition, He'll be without a hat on game day unless injuries hit.

Round six. Safety S Antoine Brooks. Quick, someone tell Tomlin short and slow doesn't work at safety and to lose his hard-on for hybrid players. " big safties " This guy better be good on special teams as he's meat in coverage. To small to cover TE's, too slow to cover any receiver man to man. Not much of a vertical, with shorter than average arm length. C-

Coach's call. Safety Josh Metellus A faster and taller safety with better ball production ( 5 picks, 10 passes defended in the past two years ). Metellushas longer arms and a better vertical in comparison to Brooks, with a solid shuttle time. I suspect Brooks lacks agility and didn't run this drill. Metellus tackles well, and can be your in the box SS or add something to coverage, which Brooks won't.

Round Seven ) DT NT Carlos Davis. Not a terrible pick for round 7, he doesn't ;offer much as a 4 man rusher.

Grade C-

Coach's call. DT.NT Benito Jones. Jones made a lot of plays at a DT/NT on a bad team in the SEC, which is impressive. This to me suggests he could be a nice role player in the NFL. I have no idea why he fell. Did he have an injury of character issues?

Overall, this isn't a bad draft thanks to Ftizpatrick
. The question is can any of the picks after round two become NFL starters or a quality role players?

Last edited:
who the **** is Fitzsimmons?

How do people know coach doesn't know ****....this is how

Every STEELER fan knows Fitzpatrick would have been a much better player to trade for....Thank God that is what the Steelers did

If you truly believe you could do better than the Steelers front office you should really learn the players names

Last edited:
Here's my annual draft review, with the fun part being three years watching the guys who I didn't think could play initially by defended by homers, then ultimately flop, while at the same time seeing the picks I endorsed shine. I'm not going to list all of my called busts or approved picks that were good players, you've seen and heard them before. Sure I can be wrong. My main issue is with the number of resources the Steelers have, why do I often do a better job than they do? Like always, I encourage anyone to say who they would have taken. Funny the loudest critics here never seem to do it.

Round one. Colbert traded our first-round pick for Fitzsimmons during the season. I was for this move, and Fitz is one of the best three safeties in football. We have him signed for cheap too for years, and that's key. A move I approved of when it happened. A+

Round Two. While I really wanted Taylor and would have tried to trade up to get him if possible, I also felt Claypool was a top talent with a freak like abilities / workout numbers would not fall to us in round two. He did, partly because this was a very good WR draft. Taylor reminds me a bit of Plexico Burress, who, when he had his head on right worked very well with Ben. Unlike Burress, Claypool is a monster blocker and has long-striding deep speed to hit the home run. Claypool will open up the sideline passes, can be uses on some TE patterns, will become a very dangerous red-zone weapon a 50/50 type of receiver, and deep ball option either on play-action or vs . cover 3 in the middle. While he doesn't have sudden acceleration to separate or sharp cuts, there is a lot to like on his route tree. Who's going to cover him? A mismatch weapon.

Grade A-

Coach's call. Same player. I would have seriously considered Dobbins, but he failed to work out either t the combine or on Pro day. Prove your speed and agility.

Round Three. Highsmith. While I like Highsmith's effort, this could be a case of small school pass rusher star meeting NFL Tackles. If the Steelers keep Dupree, Highsmith will remain a backup, and he might not be strong enough vs. he run or quick enough as a pass rusher to shine in the NFL. There were better players and more urgent needs on the board.

Grade C

Coach's call. Guard, John Simpson. Simpson needs some work, but he has pro bowl ability as a run blocker. This is a very huge, strong man with long arms and very big hands. Watch him root out a DT's. On screenplay, the other guy, better be quick to get around him because few can stop him head-on. He'll need some seasoning, but the tools are for him to become a really good NFL player.

Round Four ) Running back, MacFarland. The Steelers passed on some good backs in round two. None of the backs that were viewed as starting material fell to them in round 3 . I wonder if they tried to trade up for Taylor? I would have. So when it was their turn round four, this is what they get. While McFarland has good speed and can run outside, I don't view him as a successful in-between the tackles NFL runner, but he could be a nice change of pace 3rd down back bringing speed to a backfield that lacks it. Unfortunately, he's a little small and has injury issues, which likely means I think he'll have injury issues in the NFL, maybe not a rookie, but sooner or later. He also could be a starter sooner than later, too, as Conner is very fragile ( And fumble prone ). Snell is to slow feature, and Samuels too limited / lacks the feel of an every-down back. I am intrigued by Whyte. Not a back pick, but does he solve a long term need?

B

Grade B

Round four ) Guard Kevin Dotson Who? This is a small school player, who I don't recall looking good in the college all start practices or games where he could have proved something was a mystery pick. I checked, Dotson was hurt and underwent surgery and did not attend the senior bowl. He has good timed speed, but reports say he's not agile and has issues with pass blocking. In general, I want to see small school draft prospects prove they can play in the college all-star games. The Steelers have issues on OL. Pouncey is expensive an in decline; age is an issue elsewhere. Dotson is likely not to get a hat. He's raw, and developmental. C+

Coach's call. Center Tyler Biadasz. A blue-collar battle-tested player who can ope up holes and combo block, he would have been a much safer pick. Dotson looks like a project type, a good gamble on for round six, not in round four with needs. I predict since he's taking a big step up in competition, He'll be without a hat on game day unless injuries hit.

Round six. Safety S Antoine Brooks. Quick, someone tell Tomlin short and slow doesn't work at safety and to lose his hard-on for hybrid players. " big safties " This guy better be good on special teams as he's meat in coverage. To small to cover TE's, too slow to cover any receiver man to man. Not much of a vertical, with shorter than average arm length. C-

Coach's call. Safety Josh Metellus A faster and taller safety with better ball production ( 5 picks, 10 passes defended in the past two years ). Metellushas longer arms and a better vertical in comparison to Brooks, with a solid shuttle time. I suspect Brooks lacks agility and didn't run this drill. Metellus tackles well, and can be your in the box SS or add something to coverage, which Brooks won't.

Round Seven ) DT NT Carlos Davis. Not a terrible pick for round 7, he doesn't ;offer much as a 4 man rusher.

Grade C-

Coach's call. DT.NT Benito Jones. Jones made a lot of plays at a DT/NT on a bad team in the SEC, which is impressive. This to me suggests he could be a nice role player in the NFL. I have no idea why he fell. Did he have an injury of character issues?

Overall, this isn't a bad draft thanks to Fitzsimmons. The question is can any of the picks after round two become NFL starters or a quality role players?

Let's save this so that the inevitable edit to Fitzpatrick is preserved for posterity.
Also, I think you meant Claypool, not Taylor, when discussing the player who reminds you of Burress.
Additionally, Dotson shined during practices at the East/West Shrine game. https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/5-winners-from-day-1-of-the-2020-eastwest-shrine-bowl

Last edited:
Nice right up coach, if you can get someone to edit you typos it would help. I got to disagree about Biadasz. He resently had hip surgery and played though it. Ok he’s a tough guy. More importantly a lingering issue is that he’s had shoulder issues. So two marks on his medical becomes one to many considering that some of his scouting weaknesses include.Doesn't generate much push as drive blocker
Base blocks lose positioning to power misses core strength. Bum shoulder weak hip to start your NFL job?

Let’s look at who they Drafted Kevin Dotson
Broad shoulders with a barrel chest
Fundamentals have been drilled into him
Initial steps are controlled and purposeful as run blocker
Brute force and leg drive to generate movement
Good grip strength and strains to sustain
Well-versed in inside and outside zone
Takes smart angles up to second-level targets
Heavy-handed punch
Balanced posture in pass sets with punch-ready hands
Plays with recognition of incoming twists

A tactical Bull with no medical issues. Change your mind yet? It should!
Who’s more ready to become a Steeler day one?
Why did my rep power go to O?

Last edited:
Why did my rep power go to O?

This might be the only thing worth addressing in this stupid thread (you can let the guys trying to sell clicks give grades, but not before a player plays a down in the NFL).

From what I gather, if you've had any lapse in your contributor status (through no fault of your own as you don't get notifications of upcoming payments being due, to my knowledge), your rep status goes to zero. I've seen it happen with a lot of longtime and regular posters on the site. Justin can perhaps give you a little more information via PM.

Let's save this so that the inevitable edit to Fitzpatrick is preserved for posterity.
Also, I think you meant Claypool, not Taylor, when discussing the player who reminds you of Burress.
Additionally, Dotson shined during practices at the East/West Shrine game. https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/5-winners-from-day-1-of-the-2020-eastwest-shrine-bowl

This was initially typed in the very early AM hours. The East West Shine is for a good cause, but very few of the 80+ players in that game get drafted.

Now where's your who I would have selected?

This was initially typed in the very early AM hours. The East West Shine is for a good cause, but very few of the 80+ players in that game get drafted.

No

I just don't call you potato in the morning (potato)

I just don't call your draft anal-yst weak before you leave me (weak)

maybe it's just not your sunlight that is dim

maybe we don't care about if you

would have picked him

(Juice Newton says hi)

Oh and a reminder who cooch would have really selected

Coach's mock:

Round 2 ) DT/NT Davon Hamilton. Can play 1 or 2 gaps. Big, and strong, with enough ability to make plays outside of his gap. Hamltion can make plays behind the line of scrimmage. Losing Hargrave will hurt both the pass and run defense, and let's be honest, the gap between him and the next man up is pretty wide.

Round 3 ) TE Adam Trutman. An all around TE who can block, run and catch, he had a good senior bowl week. The Steelers signed Ebron ( which could blow up in their faces ) and for now are keeping McDonald, so this is a future type of pick who should play as the two players ahead of him on the depth chart are expensive, have iffy hands, and are injury-prone.

Round 4 ) RB Darrynton Evans - A speed back, who runs well and offers extra value as a return man. Maybe not a workhorse type, he'll add much-needed zip to the offense.

Round 4 ) C Matt Hennessy. More than the sum of his parts, Hennessey can provide depth at C/G and should be able to play if needed. He might not have long term NFL starting ability, but he can be a solid/cheap back up for years, and the Steelers don't have much right now at backup guard or center.

Round 6 ) S JaQuaris Landrews. Good size, speed, and production. Steelers have very little depth at safety

Round 7. P Mann Much better and cheaper than the erratic Berry. A good tackler as well on special teams.

?

Coach, everything below this point in YOUR post would be considered a decent post.. It's this first paragraph that is always a character issue with you.

First there is the self stroking (if I was a girl at the bar or even your wife, I slide down the stair banister to get off instead of having to jump through all your self stroking hoops, can you compliment yourself any more?

To claim you'd do better than the STEELERS, more often than not, is absolutely Hillarious.

If you could just get past these types of self promoting and build up, you'd be taken much more seriously around here. LIKE I SAID, everything after this first part would be a decent POST but that is secondary once you put EVERYONE on the defensive and self promote.

TRY HARDER and even your big head may come down to size......... After all once Troy's shrank, he became a way better player.

Salute the nation

You are so full of BS Coach.....

“More than 100 players from last year’s game signed with professional teams this spring, and more than 70 made final NFL rosters last season.

On average, more than 300 East-West Shrine Bowl alumni are on NFL rosters each year.

Since the game’s inception, 77 former players have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

More than 200 former players have been named to the College Football Hall of Fame.

Players are selected based on their potential to make NFL rosters. A consensus of the 32 NFL teams is taken into consideration during player selection.”

The real reason for the post full of sentence fragments and idiotic mistakes is you were in such a hurry to have it up on the board so you could preen your peacock feathers. Mods can you merge this freeloading Dumb *** to his sticky thread?

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Coach, everything below this point in YOUR post would be considered a decent post.. It's this first paragraph that is always a character issue with you.

First there is the self stroking (if I was a girl at the bar or even your wife, I slide down the stair banister to get off instead of having to jump through all your self stroking hoops, can you compliment yourself any more?

To claim you'd do better than the STEELERS, more often than not, is absolutely Hillarious.

If you could just get past these types of self promoting and build up, you'd be taken much more seriously around here. LIKE I SAID, everything after this first part would be a decent POST but that is secondary once you put EVERYONE on the defensive and self promote.

TRY HARDER and even your big head may come down to size......... After all once Troy's shrank, he became a way better player.

Salute the nation

Not sure even that would be enough to take him serious.

He is a known plagiarizer, he is a lazy evaluator who watches youtube highlights and glues into what he reads on Walterfootball. He admires 40 times entirely too much. He has a selective memory on who he liked initially. Forever changing to attempt to make him look smarter than a potato. (hint it isn't working).

He is a pompous douche that thinks he is better than everyone else. He can drive that luxury car right up his arse as far as I care.

**** this simpleton ************.

Other than that he is alright.

:bump2:

You are so full of BS Coach.....

“More than 100 players from last year’s game signed with professional teams this spring, and more than 70 made final NFL rosters last season.

On average, more than 300 East-West Shrine Bowl alumni are on NFL rosters each year.

Since the game’s inception, 77 former players have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

More than 200 former players have been named to the College Football Hall of Fame.

Players are selected based on their potential to make NFL rosters. A consensus of the 32 NFL teams is taken into consideration during player selection.”

The real reason for the post full of sentence fragments and idiotic mistakes is you were in such a hurry to have it up on the board so you could preen your peacock feathers. Mods can you merge this freeloading Dumb *** to his sticky thread?

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

It was taken down, but yeah a good place for all his created threads.

Nice right up coach, if you can get someone to edit you typos it would help. I got to disagree about Biadasz. He resently had hip surgery and played though it. Ok he’s a tough guy. More importantly a lingering issue is that he’s had shoulder issues. So two marks on his medical becomes one to many considering that some of his scouting weaknesses include.Doesn't generate much push as drive blocker
Base blocks lose positioning to power misses core strength. Bum shoulder weak hip to start your NFL job?

Sorry, Corpus. I found this both ironic and funny.

Coach, I enjoyed the read and agree with you on Simpson. He was the guy I was hoping the Steelers would take there and thought they would considering they were at Clemson’s Pro Day. I feel they went with Highsmith for a couple of reasons. First it is a position of need and even if they sign Dupree they rotate in subs quite often. You can never have enough good pass rushers. They also had some guards with similar grades and figured they could still get one even if Simpson went off the board. There was a pretty steep drop after Highsmith and the Steelers took him right around where many had him slotted to go.

I’m confused about your assessment on Biadasz. He’s coming off a down year, but as Corpus pointed out has also had a hip and shoulder injury. He’s a guy who was on my radar late and one I want to see succeed, but those are two concerning areas for a lineman to have hurt. I also think McFarland’s injury history is overstated. He had a high ankle sprain in 2019 and broke his leg as a senior in high school. Broken bones aren’t really at the top of the list in terms of injury concerns.

FB-IMG-1587919407332.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Round one. Colbert traded our first-round pick for Fitzpatrick during the season. I was for this move, and Fitz is one of the best three safeties in football. We have him signed for cheap too for years, and that's key. A move I approved of when it happened. A+

Round Two. While I really wanted Taylor and would have tried to trade up to get him if possible, I also felt Claypool was a top talent with a freak like abilities / workout numbers would not fall to us in round two. He did, partly because this was a very good WR draft. Claypool reminds me a bit of Plexico Burress, who, when he had his head on right worked very well with Ben. Unlike Burress, Claypool is a monster blocker and has long-striding deep speed to hit the home run. Claypool will open up the sideline passes, can be uses on some TE patterns, will become a very dangerous red-zone weapon a 50/50 type of receiver, and deep ball option either on play-action or vs . cover 3 in the middle. While he doesn't have sudden acceleration to separate or sharp cuts, there is a lot to like on his route tree. Who's going to cover him? A mismatch weapon.

Grade A-

Grade C

B

Grade B

Grade C-

Overall, this isn't a bad draft thanks to Ftizpatrick
. The question is can any of the picks after round two become NFL starters or a quality role players?

The fact that a year ago we got to hear about how James Conner was a better RB than Leveon Bell.
This alone makes anything you say a joke.

No

I just don't call you potato in the morning (potato)

I just don't call your draft anal-yst weak before you leave me (weak)

maybe it's just not your sunlight that is dim

maybe we don't care about if you

would have picked him

(Juice Newton says hi)
Triple fail on that post, Slash:

1. Responding to Crotch
2. Juice who/what
3. See 1.