• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Coach's positional grades.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Coach's positional grades. Quick thoughts:

QB. Grade A.

Ben's TD passes to Brown were perfect. His pocket presence and ability to step up and deliver under duress is a still strong suit.
The interception was the receiver fault not, but Ben he did lose a fumble and nearly threw another interception. If Ben plays like this every week, we are a 13-3 type of team.

RB: A+

Williams had a great game, flashing power, speed, cut back ability and stamina. On Carolina for years in a split backfield, he's got a lot less wear and tear than the media thinks for a player of his age. In some areas of the game, I think he's better than Bell.
Toussaint as the next man up did very little.

TE: C+. James is competent as a receiver but had no long receptions. As a blocker, he's still very weak and should never be asked to block an end on one one. On the move as a Blocker he' s a bit better. He's still a green player, with the ability to improve a bit over the season.

OL: A-. DeCastro had they type of game you'd expect from a pro bowl player in his prime. No, he was better that that, perhaps the best guard int he game. He pulls very well and is durable as a sledgehammer.
Gilbert played hurt and did fine. Pouncey's head recovery of the fumble was a key moment in the game. Foster is big, but slow, and looked a little too heavy. Big Ranger did a solid job overall. Thus unit owned the Reskins front seven. Old School power football and solid pass blocking.

DL: B-. Due to the deployment, we often rushed three men. Heyward and Tuitt didn't make many plays but did their job. Hargrave played a bit but was a non-factor. The steelers Coaching staff played Mathews a bit more than Hargrave ( I think ) and he didn't do much either. The pass rush was a little weak, but the run defense was solid.

LB: B+ If Shazier can stay healthy he's a true difference-maker. His interception was the key turning point in the game. When Shazier was out Fort played well. Is Fort ahead of Vince Williams on the depth chart? In passing situation, I think so. Harrison is still powerful and can make plays, but I he's much slower these days. Well take the interception, but if it was reviewed the call could have been overturned. Timmons was up and down, and he's not a quick or fast as he used to be either. Jones made some tackles after the pass was completed and did little as a pass rusher. Chickillo got his feet wet. Moats was too quiet.

DB: C. Cousins was off the first half, and got many yards when he went into a prevent mode. Cockrell was abused. Davis missed a tackle that went for extra yardage. Golden is very solid. I think he's our 2nd best DB for now. Mitchell has good ability, but he continues to make stupid penalties. Only one DB broke up a pass, it was Mitchell. That's not good enough. Gay was quiet, and that means he did his job.
Still, the Redskins passed for 329 yards and we knew it was coming. On an off day from Cousins, this is a bit alarming.

ST: A. I'm beginning to like Berry. He's added distance and hangs time on his game. The ability to drop them close to the goal line was always there. Boswell is money. His kicks have distance and sail straight. I feel like he's going to make every kick inside the 50...PRO BOWL ability. The coverage units were solid. The Kick return game didn't get many chances.

Coaching: A. We outcoached them. Haley, in particular, called a very good game, playing to our strengths and keeping them guessing on what we wanted to do at times. On Defense Butler played a bend but don't break type of game. It worked but most of it was due to Cousins being off and down a lot of points, limiting their rushing attack.

Last edited:
Who is this "Jones" guy that plays TE? If he was so bad, I think I'd replace him with Jesse James.

Gotta pretty much agree. The plays I did see Chicklets in their, he looked pretty decent. There was one play where he was on of the three rushers and he still got around the end and almost got to the QB.

Gotta pretty much agree. The plays I did see Chicklets in their, he looked pretty decent. There was one play where he was on of the three rushers and he still got around the end and almost got to the QB.

I saw that. We had zero pass rush in that game, but Chickillo at times looks like he was close enough.

Kinda hard to grade some groups. They hardly blitzed so it is hard to grade the D line and cover unit. The DBS had to hold coverage for 5 seconds. They gave up what 10 points that didn't involve turnover and one meaningful TD don't think any unit gets a C

Overwell, pretty good grades Coach,

TE: The Outlaw did a great job of making the tough catches to move the chains. He's not the blocker that Miller was, but he's getting there. He made the edge block that sprang Williams' 2nd TD. He's definitely not a liability to block, and I was surprised that he was targeted so much by Ben in this game. It will only improve his confidence moving forward.

OL: Great to have Pouncey back and 100%. It made the running game look effortless for Williams. Consistent holes on short money downs 3rd/4th and 1s, were never in doubt. Good protection and on the only sack of the night, way to force a fumble and get the ball right back! FYI, if the fumble was forced, it should have been a 1st and 10, though I don't think the refs ever gave the defender possession.

TE: The Outlaw did a great job of making the tough catches to move the chains. He's not the blocker that Miller was, but he's getting there. He made the edge block that sprang Williams' 2nd TD. He's definitely not a liability to block, and I was surprised that he was targeted so much by Ben in this game. It will only improve his confidence moving forward.

OL: Great to have Pouncey back and 100%. It made the running game look effortless for Williams. Consistent holes on short money downs 3rd/4th and 1s, were never in doubt. Good protection and on the only sack of the night, way to force a fumble and get the ball right back! FYI, if the fumble was forced, it should have been a 1st and 10, though I don't think the refs ever gave the defender possession.

DL: Hargrave and Heyward are playing banged up, and it showed. They should improve each week. Tuitt was flying around.

Punter: Barry added nothing to his game. He could always kill it. He's just becoming more consistent, which is a great thing.

Harrison is still powerful and can make plays, but I he's much slower these days. Well take the interception, but if it was reviewed the call could have been overturned.

It was reviewed. All turnovers are reviewed. Harrison looked to have his arm under the ball so the crew did not have the evidence to overturn.

Also, Harrison did not play very much and thereby did not rush much. When he did, I saw him push the LT into the backfield.

Punter: Barry added nothing to his game. He could always kill it. He's just becoming more consistent, which is a great thing.

Currently ranked #1 in the league with a 53.5 average (45.0 net).

Kinda hard to grade some groups. They hardly blitzed so it is hard to grade the D line and cover unit. The DBS had to hold coverage for 5 seconds. They gave up what 10 points that didn't involve turnover and one meaningful TD don't think any unit gets a C

They seemed to be doing their jobs as assigned for the most part. I saw JJ plant his blocker right at the QB's feet right as the QB released the ball. The scheme seemed to leave the LB's covering people they shouldn't be covering (Timmons on Jackson.....) but kept everything in front of them to not get burned.

Much is made about Cousins being off and still getting 329 yards. Maybe he was off because of the defensive scheme he was facing versus what he expected? Maybe he as off due to first game jitters. In any event, the defensive scheme, as noted several times by Gruden, was designed to allow yards to be gained but not after the catch. For the most part, it succeeded, although there were several missed tackles as already noted. Hopefully, that area improves.

As noted in the thread about how good Cousins is, he accounted for 29 passing TD's and 5 rushing TD's last year and only 11 ints. Last night? no TD's and 2 INT's. Only 2 other teams had 2 int's on opening day. The steelers were in the bottom 10 or so on yards per play, though. If the missed tackles improves, this will be more better.

For the record, I do not think Harrison's int should have stood and the AB fumble should have been called a catch and fumble. I know the AB play is often called the way it was. If it were consistent, I'd be OK with it.

There were some good plays, some bad plays and some breaks that could have gone either way.

Quick thoughts: Chickillo didn't get his 2.5 sacks that coach predicted

Good call Cope. It should have been first and ten or it was very close

I agree with you on James. He did a good job catching and turning up field. The only play he might have been the first read was the end zone TD knocked away but that was just great coverage and James did everything right. Blocking is not James strong suit but he is willing and I feel will get better but in the pass game as an outlet or dump off he is exactly what we needed him to be last night. I feel "IF" Green can get healthy and on the field at some point we'd have a very nice two TE set in the red zone.

DL: Hargrave and Heyward are playing banged up, and it showed. They should improve each week. Tuitt was flying around.

Disagree on Berry. He added some leg strength. At times last year he had plenty of room to kick it, but didn't get the distance the defense needed. Not the case in camp, the pre-season, or game #1 this season.

Quick thoughts: Chickillo didn't get his 2.5 sacks that coach predicted

You mean match Jarvis Jones season high in just one game :) ZING.

I never said he'd get 2.5 sacks, but he did look to be our 1st or 2nd pass rusher last night. He needs more chances.

Last edited:
Good call Cope. It should have been first and ten or it was very close

If the Washington player was ruled with possession, he would be immediately downed, and the Redskins would have had the ball without a chance to force a fumble. Since Pouncey forced the fumble immediately at the attempted possession, is the only reason why it wasn't ruled that way, and the Steelers kept the ball.