• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Colbert: Steelers Stopped Running Mock Drafts For Other Teams; Instead Mock Themselves Up To Pick #20

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
With the 2022 NFL Draft only three days away, things are about to get serious for the Pittsburgh Steelers and all of the teams across the NFL. In the coming days teams will finalize their draft boards, and try to go over every situation that might arise whether it’s trading up, down, or staying put. Something that a majority of NFL teams do is try to simulate who might be picked by which team until it’s their turn. It’s commonly known as a Mock Draft.

As everyone knows that’s been following along there is a new Mock Draft dropping about every 10 minutes from the time the regular season ends until the draft begins. Then as soon as the draft is over someone is putting out a ‘way too early’ Mock Draft for the next season. It’s an incredible phenomenon that’s gotten bigger and bigger each off-season.

During the Steelers pre-draft press conference today, Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert, and Head Coach Mike Tomlin said that the Steelers stopped doing Mock Drafts as an organization sometime between 10 and 12 years ago. Instead the team builds a list, and in this years case, a list of 20 prospects because they pick at #20 in the first round. They then go down the list as who they would take if they picked #1, #2, #3 all the way to their pick. Thus giving them a list of their top 20 choices.

“And again we did away with mocking other teams probably 12 years ago,” Colbert said. “We just said I don’t know why we do this we’re just guessing and it doesn’t matter. We mock ourselves. We’re picking first who we taking? That player is gone we’re picking second, who we taking? We go all the way down to 20, and we will have 20 guys lined up in the fashion we would pick them. And then we would decide on a trade up or trade down and that’s based on that earlier question there’s values to doing that.”

Colbert also noted that the team considers what type of player that may be trading away when it comes to dealing future picks. He specially mentioned the names of Emmanuel Sanders, and Antonio Brown when it comes to players they may be unknowingly trading away should they deal a third and sixth round pick to another team.

Steelers Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown

Getty Images

“Again when we trade away a third and a sixth ‘I’m like are we trading away an Emmanuel Sanders, and Antonio Brown’. We don’t know, but we always try to put a player to that scenario. So no we don’t concern ourselves with anybody else but our team. I know there are 20 players and by Wednesday we’ll know the order we will pick them. And we’ll know who may or may not be interested in moving up or coming down and we’ll try to make the decisons the best we can.”

Everyone always laughs at how quickly the Steelers run up to the board with their selection when it’s their time to pick. But understanding what they do and how they rank the players is why they’re able to do that. It’s a pretty cut and dry process for Pittsburgh it seems. While other organizations may be indecisive on two players, the Steelers aren’t when it comes to the first round at least.

Watch Full Steelers Pre-Draft Press Conference

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

They better start thinking about the DL and seriously be considering one of the Georgia Bulldog DL. We still don't know what Tuitt is going to do so I wouldn't put my trust in him coming back. Take the WR in the second round. And please abandon this stupid QB talk in the first round since none are first round worthy except Pickett and he's not the answer for us. QB should be addressed next year depending on how Mitch plays this year.

Makes sense but I'm assuming if a player from a non position of need falls big them trade down should come into play. Because clearly there are more than 20 guys who they would draft if the had needs at all positions.

I would love to see the Steelers trade down and pick up an extra premium pick rather than running to the podium every year. Take the damn 15 minutes allotted and leave open the possibility of another team wanting to trade with us. Just please don't trade up and pick one of these QB's. That could have negative reverberating affects on this organization for years if they do that. Way too much of a gamble to trade up for projects at QB and no I don't want Ridder at #20 if they stay pat. The guy is second round material and would be a huge overreach at #20.

Yep. I shake my head every year we draft our player 2.3 seconds after we are on the clock. Head scratcher actually. Especially when drafting players such as Edmunds. Burns. Etc.

I adjusted this three times before I posted it, but this is my Steelers version of a mock yourself.

1. Sauce Gardner, CB, Cincinnati
2. Ickey Ikwonu, OT, NC State
3. Aidan Hutchinson, EDGE, Mchigan
4. Evan Neal, OT, Alabama
5. Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame
6. Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama
7. Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State
8. Travon Walker, EDGE, Georgia
9. Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE, Oregon
10. Jordan Davis, IDL, Georgia
11. Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU
12. Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State
13. Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington
14. Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State
15. Andrew Booth, CB, Clemson
16. Drake London, WR, USC
17. Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia
18. Zion Johnson, G, Boston College
19. Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa
20. Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah

Dotson and Hill just missed the cut.

They better start thinking about the DL and seriously be considering one of the Georgia Bulldog DL. We still don't know what Tuitt is going to do so I wouldn't put my trust in him coming back. Take the WR in the second round. And please abandon this stupid QB talk in the first round since none are first round worthy except Pickett and he's not the answer for us. QB should be addressed next year depending on how Mitch plays this year.
Devonte Watt is off the board and we'll have to trade up for Jordan Davis...Willis has more upside than Pickett but I'm not paid for my analysis...

Devonte Watt is off the board and we'll have to trade up for Jordan Davis...Willis has more upside than Pickett but I'm not paid for my analysis...
Maybe the rats take Willis if they think Action Jackson will be a hard sign.

I’m not a fan of trading up but depending on what it takes and how far we have to move up, I’d consider Davis. If it’s too steep just stay pat at 20 or try and trade back for an extra premium pick.

I adjusted this three times before I posted it, but this is my Steelers version of a mock yourself.

1. Sauce Gardner, CB, Cincinnati
2. Ickey Ikwonu, OT, NC State
3. Aidan Hutchinson, EDGE, Mchigan
4. Evan Neal, OT, Alabama
5. Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame
6. Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama
7. Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State
8. Travon Walker, EDGE, Georgia
9. Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE, Oregon
10. Jordan Davis, IDL, Georgia
11. Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU
12. Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State
13. Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington
14. Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State
15. Andrew Booth, CB, Clemson
16. Drake London, WR, USC
17. Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia
18. Zion Johnson, G, Boston College
19. Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa
20. Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah

Dotson and Hill just missed the cut.

This seems to be how they do it. Really simple, if you think about it. Colbert has been preaching this for years now. Just stack 'em exactly how you'd pick them, don't worry about mocks or what other teams do.

Your list is likely damn close to accurate, though they *may* have a QB or two thrown in. Not entirely convinced that's true. Perhaps the Steelers-QB infatuaton has been the perfect smoke screen for them, to disguise their true intentions.

Your list is likely damn close to accurate, though they *may* have a QB or two thrown in. Not entirely convinced that's true. Perhaps the Steelers-QB infatuaton has been the perfect smoke screen for them, to disguise their true intentions.
I thought about putting Willis in here but really had no idea where to place him. Would love to hear others thoughts.

What's the biggest hole in the roster right now? Be honest.

WR

I was going to wait until tomorrow but I said it in Dec and Jan - if it were me, Jameson Williams is my first round pick.

WR

I was going to wait until tomorrow but I said it in Dec and Jan - if it were me, Jameson Williams is my first round pick.
as others have said

WR/DL/S

would not be against Williams if all the other really good WRs are gone

WR

I’m not sure I agree WR is our biggest need, but I’ll play…..
If we’re sitting at 20, and Olave is still on the board, I would sprint to the podium within 1 second of being on the clock.
I think he’s going to be better than Wilson in the pros.
Me personally would like to see either OT or DL in the first, but I don’t want is reaching for need, either.
I do think our off-season to date has afforded us that opportunity.
Now whether Colbert/Tomlin agree, that’s a different story altogether.

If we’re sitting at 20, and Olave is still on the board, I would sprint to the podium within 1 second of being on the clock.
Me personally would like to see either OT or DL in the first, but I don’t want is reaching for need, either.
and you would still be behind the Steelers guy handing in his pick

Wr is our biggest need if you want to win a Super Bowl or at least get to a playoffs. Our receivers just sucked last year cant imagine what our pass game would have been without Ben throwing those jackasses open. Juju got hurt… gone, claypool couldn’t stay on his feet for some bizarre reason… should be gone, johnson couldn’t hold on to the ball, totally made by Big Ben… will be gone, ray-ray… gone, Washington a bust… gone. A guy named ray-ray was out best receiver going down the stretch! And hes Gone! We need 2 solid receivers from this draft and colberts real forte’ is wrs going back to Detroit where he drafted Herman Moore. this being his last draft… go wr and get a good one or two. GoSteelers

Very wise words of the "Elite" !!!

Trench Warfare is all about wining in the trenches and that's what football is still about.

Salute the nation