• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Bowl Thread

Small world my friend.
My sister and brother-in-law are in town so I took them to lunch today. Apparently they are both working on the set of season 3 of Shoresy along with his brother and wife.
Jared Keeso actually had his tooth removed to play the part. He is the writer/executive producer as well. Sudbury and North Bay area have become huge in the film industry here in Canada.

Since you are a Bulldog fan and I asked for Georgia to beat FSU by at least 20 in the Orange Bowl ........mission accomplished .... I asked them to get me something related to the show as a gift for you..... I will PM for details

Can't wait for the Bowl games tomorrow
Cool af!!!

Can’t wait for the bowl games too.
Good luck to Berm/Paul and Warriors.

Go Blue
;)

I don't understand how people are using the Georgia FSU game as some kind of proof that Georgia should have been in the playoff and FSU is a joke. FSU had a ton of opt outs. That game proved as much as Georgia stomping Ball State earlier in the year.

I do think full strength FSU with their starting QB would have beaten this Georgia team. The FSU defense was scary good.

Next year nobody will be able to complain. It will all get settled on the field. As it should be.
Except the team ranked #13. And their fans.

But it will be better than this bullshit we've been watching over the past few years, that's for sure.

Except the team ranked #13. And their fans.

But it will be better than this bullshit we've been watching over the past few years, that's for sure.

At least you're 99% sure you have the best teams. This year turned into a **** show.

Certainly no college expert here,but nobody gives Washington even a mention. **** that. I hope they stomp on everyone.......Go Huskies!
Not true ....... Steelman

The best game I watched all year was the 1st meeting of Oregon vs Washington ..... talked about several times in various threads ....
Told Berm in some threads that I thought there would be new blood taking the natty this year ...... not Georgia, not Bama with the Huskies or Oregon being that likely team

Obviously I am a Bama dude like Berm .... and he said if we get in the CFB ....we win ........ and now they are there after taking out MTC's Bulldogs (which I still think is a top 2 in the country team) I want to agree with BERM after how Bama played against Georgia.

I would like us to have taken down the best competition possible to earn another natty..

Beat Georgia
Beat Michigan and a Harbaugh
Beat either a 3rd undefeated team the Huskies OR get the opportunity to face Texas again and butcher the fatted calf

Personally if Bama doesn't do that .... I want to see the Huskies bring it home ...

Slash was asking about QBs that you would like the Steelers to draft in 2024 .................. Penix Jr is in my top 2 QBs ..... even more like a 1A or 1B selection ...

I just want to see some good football ........... all the games leading up to this point have been more of a joke than anything with Portal transfers and key players opting out.
I even ******* hate the fact that teams can not have coaches on their sideline because of all the turnover going to different programs....

I used to love watching NCAA & Bowl games years ago ...... mainly because alot of the talented non prototypical type players would end up here in Canada where I would see them excel in the CFL. I don't hardly ever watch CFL anymore ...mainly because we finally got better television reception and I discovered the NFL

Guys that I used to love to watch included players like Warren Moon, JC Watts, Doug Flutie .... and a whole bevy of the great running backs that came from schools like Nebraska

I always was drawn to stern DEF and a good running game ........ Black is a favourite colour of mine ... thus the Steelers filled that bill in the mid 70's
Been here as a fan since then
Bama (Crimson) .... Paul "Bear" Bryant was the draw for me

I don't understand how people are using the Georgia FSU game as some kind of proof that Georgia should have been in the playoff and FSU is a joke. FSU had a ton of opt outs. That game proved as much as Georgia stomping Ball State earlier in the year.

I do think full strength FSU with their starting QB would have beaten this Georgia team. The FSU defense was scary good.

No way they beat Georgia at 100% health. They could beat any of the 4 teams in the playoffs. They're just as good. And given the amount of time a team has to practice and get healthy for the game, they would have been ready to roll.

That team much like Alabama is a polished machine. You give them time to prepare and you're going to get their very best.

It really doesn't matter now, what's done is done and 12 teams are in it next year.

307/466 for 4218 yards 65.9%
33 tds 9ints. 9.1 yds average
Undefeated season
I think you’re confusing Penix with one of the other QBs.
out of curiosity,you think these are lousy numbers? Maybe you can show me the ones that he’s being confused with.

Undefeated season

out of curiosity,you think these are lousy numbers? Maybe you can show me the ones that he’s being confused with.
“Scary accurate”? He’s at best the 4th most accurate of the top 5 QBs in this draft. Watching him play also doesn’t scream “scary accurate.” Not sure what his yardage or TD totals has to do with the accuracy comment.

Undefeated season

Here are the top 11 rated passers for 2023 for quick comparisons Steelmann

PASSING YARDS
Last updated Saturday, December 30, 2023 9:56 pm - Through games Saturday, December 30, 2023

RANKNAMETEAMCLPOSITIONGPASS ATTPASS COMINTPASS TDPASS YDS
1Michael Penix Jr.
washington.svg
Washington
Sr.QB134663079334218
2Bo Nix
oregon.svg
Oregon
Sr.QB134353363404145
3Carson Beck
georgia.svg
Georgia
Jr.QB144173026243941
4Seth Henigan
memphis.svg
Memphis
Jr.QB134763189323883
5Jayden Daniels
lsu.svg
LSU
Sr.QB123272364403812
6Davis Brin
ga-southern.svg
Ga. Southern
Sr.QB1355236219243781
7Joey Aguilar
appalachian-st.svg
App State
Jr.QB1446029310333757
8Cameron Ward
washington-st.svg
Washington St.
Jr.QB124853237253736
9Dillon Gabriel
oklahoma.svg
Oklahoma
Sr.QB123842666303660
10Caleb Williams
southern-california.svg
Southern California
Jr.QB123882665303633
11Drake Maye
north-carolina.svg
North Carolina
So.QB124252699243608

Not true ....... Steelman

The best game I watched all year was the 1st meeting of Oregon vs Washington ..... talked about several times in various threads ....
Told Berm in some threads that I thought there would be new blood taking the natty this year ...... not Georgia, not Bama with the Huskies or Oregon being that likely team

Obviously I am a Bama dude like Berm .... and he said if we get in the CFB ....we win ........ and now they are there after taking out MTC's Bulldogs (which I still think is a top 2 in the country team) I want to agree with BERM after how Bama played against Georgia.

I would like us to have taken down the best competition possible to earn another natty..

Beat Georgia
Beat Michigan and a Harbaugh
Beat either a 3rd undefeated team the Huskies OR get the opportunity to face Texas again and butcher the fatted calf

Personally if Bama doesn't do that .... I want to see the Huskies bring it home ...

Slash was asking about QBs that you would like the Steelers to draft in 2024 .................. Penix Jr is in my top 2 QBs ..... even more like a 1A or 1B selection ...

I just want to see some good football ........... all the games leading up to this point have been more of a joke than anything with Portal transfers and key players opting out.
I even ******* hate the fact that teams can not have coaches on their sideline because of all the turnover going to different programs....

I used to love watching NCAA & Bowl games years ago ...... mainly because alot of the talented non prototypical type players would end up here in Canada where I would see them excel in the CFL. I don't hardly ever watch CFL anymore ...mainly because we finally got better television reception and I discovered the NFL

Guys that I used to love to watch included players like Warren Moon, JC Watts, Doug Flutie .... and a whole bevy of the great running backs that came from schools like Nebraska

I always was drawn to stern DEF and a good running game ........ Black is a favourite colour of mine ... thus the Steelers filled that bill in the mid 70's
Been here as a fan since then
Bama (Crimson) .... Paul "Bear" Bryant was the draw for me
True Paul,you have mentioned them. I’d say we’re the only two. I have no idea if they could beat Alabama or Georgia. I sure as heck would have liked to see them try. And maybe Texas will blow them out of the water,who knows. But we will see. Both games against Oregon were great. I’ve posted a couple times on wanting their OC hired by us for next season. In fact I’d take their HC as well. Go Huskies!

“Scary accurate”? He’s at best the 4th most accurate of the top 5 QBs in this draft. Watching him play also doesn’t scream “scary accurate.” Not sure what his yardage or TD totals has to do with the accuracy comment.
First of all,if you notice.....I’m not the one that said “ scary accurate “
I just posted his numbers. Which aren’t so bad.

First of all,if you notice.....I’m not the one that said “ scary accurate “
I just posted his numbers. Which aren’t so bad.
I replied to Penix being called scary accurate, which he isn’t, then you asked if I thought his total body of work was lousy. His other stats weren’t introduced until you brought them up.

Georgia also had multiple players transfer out.
5 key injuries who didn’t play and 2 opt outs.

If FSU won they would be thumping their chest saying yesterday was the true national championship. But they lost by a wide margin and are using the glorified exhibition excuse.

Georgia went through a similar path in 2018 after having made the playoffs the year prior. They grew up a lot since.

Here are the top 11 rated passers for 2023 for quick comparisons Steelmann

PASSING YARDS
Last updated Saturday, December 30, 2023 9:56 pm - Through games Saturday, December 30, 2023

RANKNAMETEAMCLPOSITIONGPASS ATTPASS COMINTPASS TDPASS YDS
1Michael Penix Jr.
washington.svg
Washington
Sr.QB134663079334218
2Bo Nix
oregon.svg
Oregon
Sr.QB134353363404145
3Carson Beck
georgia.svg
Georgia
Jr.QB144173026243941
4Seth Henigan
memphis.svg
Memphis
Jr.QB134763189323883
5Jayden Daniels
lsu.svg
LSU
Sr.QB123272364403812
6Davis Brin
ga-southern.svg
Ga. Southern
Sr.QB1355236219243781
7Joey Aguilar
appalachian-st.svg
App State
Jr.QB1446029310333757
8Cameron Ward
washington-st.svg
Washington St.
Jr.QB124853237253736
9Dillon Gabriel
oklahoma.svg
Oklahoma
Sr.QB123842666303660
10Caleb Williams
southern-california.svg
Southern California
Jr.QB123882665303633
11Drake Maye
north-carolina.svg
North Carolina
So.QB124252699243608
Thanks Paul. The one big thing I notice of course,he’s the only one remaining in the “big” games tomorrow. I’d think that counts for something.
I replied to Penix being called scary accurate, which he isn’t, then you asked if I thought his total body of work was lousy. His other stats weren’t introduced until you brought them up.
Well. Excuse me. 🙄I asked respectfully. And showed his 65.9 % accuracy in the stats. Never said anything about being “ lousy”.

I swear some people just come on here to nit pick every little thing.
Cheers.

One thing is absolutely certain. There is no great team this year. Every team is beatable. Every team has flaws.

Here's why i think Bama beats Michigan

Most people think Michigan has a great defense and an unstoppable power run game that just wears down defenses. I don't think either is true.

Michigan's defense was barely threatened this year. Penn State has no WRs. Ohio State's QB is a scared rabbit who ran away to Syracuse because he doesn;t want pressure. The only offense that challenged Michigan was Maryland. Maryland has good WRs and a mobile QB. The problem is that Talia Tagavialova makes tons of bonehead plays. When not making bonehead plays to give Michigan easy points, Maryland moved the ball pretty well.

People made a big deal off all the rush attempts vs Penn State. That was only possible because the PSU offense was so inept. Penn State actually dominated the line of scrimmage. Michigan's run success only came when they started using 7 OL formations. That's what it took for them to run on PSU. And again, that was only possible because PSU wasn't going to score.

Nearly half of Michigan's rush attempts vs Penn State were for 2 yards or less.

Michigan's OL is not good at pass blocking. That's another reason they ran so much vs Penn State. Because McCarthy took some hits early and had to scramble on nearly every pass attempt.

I don't think Bama is a great team. Their defense is good, not great but they can rush the passer. Milroe still isn't a great QB in terms of reading defenses but he's a playmaker who can extend plays, he throws a great deep ball and he doesn't crack under pressure.

Milroe will challenge Michigan to cover like they haven't been challenged all year. Bama will score enough points that Michigan won't be able to just run run run. This will expose McCarthy to a pass rush. he's mobile but does make mistakes when pressured. Michigan does not have have great WRs. Roman Wilson is pretty fast for a midget but he's a slot guy.

Michigan has not had to go out of their comfort zone at all this year. I think Bama drags them out of it and Michigan makes some mistakes.

Well. Excuse me. 🙄I asked respectfully. And showed his 65.9 % accuracy in the stats. Never said anything about being “ lousy”.

I swear some people just come on here to nit pick every little thing.
Cheers.
Uh…
Undefeated season

The 65.9% is solid but not “scary accurate” as suggested. There’ll be multiple analysts that will list aspects of Penix’s accuracy as a weakness when scouting reports come out.

Happy New Year!

Regardless of the 4 team playoff, why are there ReliaQuest (wtf) and Citrus Bowl games today instead of Orange Bowl and Cotton Bowl games?

Regardless of the 4 team playoff, why are there ReliaQuest (wtf) and Citrus Bowl games today instead of Orange Bowl and Cotton Bowl games?
The world is a forever changing place ...... at times ...not for the better .....Confluence

I remember getting up to watch the Rose Parade (I love horses and the artistry involved) .... watching the Fiesta, Rose, Cotton, Orange and Sugar Bowls
I don't think I would ever attend one of these games because half the players and coaches opt out ............SUCKS

Anyone else see the new Dr Pepper ad ......... with the transfer portal ................. I ******* hate Dr. Pepper ...taste like crap ......... but this is a hilarious ad ....well done

Brian Bosworth as the sheriff