• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Bowl Thread

As for the portal, they need to fix this immediately. It seems the no brainer should be that you can't enter the portal until like February.

Just imagine how many opt outs there will be next year for the non-playoff bowl games. 12 teams will make the playoffs and the rest will probably have half their players opt out.

Right now NIL is being dominated by "collectives". That basically means fans donate to a slush fund to pay players. That's BS. Why do fans have to pay these guys?

NCAA needs to get together and appoint a commissioner. There has to be some order. Imagine the NFL if your players could just "transfer" whenever they felt like it. Just opt out of games as soon as they don't feel like playing.

You have draft and free agency plus you have to convince your own players not to jump ship.
In order to get all the things you would like; commissioner, order like the NFL, no opt outs, the NCAA would have to be willing to deal with a players' union. So far, they have been against the idea.

I can understand donating to a university to get your name on a meeting room or on a building, but to pay the players directly when universities are getting 10s of millions of dollars, I mean, come on. With no return on investment, I don't understand why boosters are willing to give their money away. They're paying unproven high school recruits when they couldn't get a free meal sponsorship at the local Eat 'n Park. They have little to no NIL value, collects are straight up pay for play.

I agree the NCAA needs a commission and pretty much everything else Chip Kelly suggested. Football needs to break away and allow regional conferences for all other sports. FBS needs to break into two divisions with around 60 or so teams each. Break those teams down into regional divisions and then you have an NFL-like playoff structure where teams earn a spot by winning a division and records with tiebreakers. No more invitational-style playoffs. Also, home games until the championship game. Unreal that teams that earn a bye have to play on a neutral field and don't get to host a game. Total BS.

They can still play the bowl games for programming purposes and give the players a cut of the money, with the winning team getting more. No need for the conferences to get all the profits from the bowl games anymore.

Right now you have boosters that see a chance to win now. Ole Miss is a prime example. They crushed it in the portal because their collective stepped up. In other words a few big boosters paid some players. We see how the NFL draft is an inexact science. It's even more of a crapshoot with HS and college players. I suspect that many of these boosters will stop donating pretty quickly after the spend big on a few busts, or guys who take their money then leave again for another payday the next year.

NIL, Name Image Likeness. It was supposed to mean that you are now allowed to market yourself. You could take 10K from a local car dealership for a commercial, 5K to cut a ribbon at the grand opening of a store, etc.

NOBODY likes the current situation. Even if you're a team riding high like Georgia, you now have to worry about other teams poaching your players.

I agree that college football will eventually evolve (or De-volve) into maybe a 40 team semi pro league. Big 10 and SEC will eventually pick up stragglers from other conferences like ACC and Big 12 and become an AFC and NFC. Many current teams will voluntarily drop out. Teams like Iowa, Pitt, Miss State, Stanford, teams that are sometim,es good but rarely contenders, will make the business decision that they aren't going to waste the money trying to compete and will form as a non-pay for play league with bowls.

I figured Penn State would lose. Franklin can't beat good teams, especially this year. I figured and was hoping Georgia would beat FSU as I am not an FSU fan in the least. But boy I didn't see that complete annihilation of FSU coming. It was fun to watch. Leaving FSU out of the playoff was the right thing to do. I'm not sure they are a top 10 or even 15 team without their QB.

I figured Penn State would lose. Franklin can't beat good teams, especially this year. I figured and was hoping Georgia would beat FSU as I am not an FSU fan in the least. But boy I didn't see that complete annihilation of FSU coming. It was fun to watch. Leaving FSU out of the playoff was the right thing to do. I'm not sure they are a top 10 or even 15 team without their QB.

They had a bunch of people tap out before the game. Even if their starting qb had not gone down,they still would not beat Georgia.

Alabama and Georgia have a serious operation going with recruiting. The coaching,development and facilities are top tier.

They had a bunch of people tap out before the game. Even if their starting qb had not gone down,they still would not beat Georgia.

Alabama and Georgia have a serious operation going with recruiting. The coaching,development and facilities are top tier.
They are definitely both very dominant programs. I thought this might have been Alabama's year to fall a bit based on how they started with a loss and not looking very good. But, they improved the entire season and look very good right now.

As soon as they announced that King and Dixon opted out I knew Penn State was going to lose. Your top two corners opted out of a game against a team that can pass the ball pretty damn good. It was going to be tough with those guys in the game. That it was as close as it was is remarkable.

They are definitely both very dominant programs. I thought this might have been Alabama's year to fall a bit based on how they started with a loss and not looking very good. But, they improved the entire season and look very good right now.
I'm hoping for a Michigan win, but doubt it. I can see Bama going all the way.

Meh college football murdered itself… I ve said for years the NFL needs a true minor league system to get the guys only focused on going pro from day 1 out… id bet we would be surprised how much extra talent is actually dredged up if the “ elite” prospects were removed from the picture and not taking up roster spots only to bail for the end of the season

Hey have you been in DIC's peyote, boy.
Glad to see your lost ways were averted and you entered the sanity of Paul G/ Berms dream world ...... BAMA now on Fire......... Stop--Drop -- n Roll .......TIDE

Did you know that I was born in Michigan??? I don’t like the fact that they have a cheating scandal tied to them. IMO, they should have been eliminated on that alone.

I want to see them lose by double digits…

I don’t really care too much, but I’d be ok with Michigan winning it all for no other reason than it might help shine a light on the numerous things wrong with college football.

Did you know that I was born in Michigan??? I don’t like the fact that they have a cheating scandal tied to them. IMO, they should have been eliminated on that alone.

Just so everyone is clear, I am not aware of any details about your birth.

I have a good buddy who is a die hard Michigan fan, so for him . . . .

I just hope that when MI wins tomorrow I don't have to read a hundred post about cheating. Even Saban said it should be a moot point that if coaches did their jobs it wouldn't matter anyways. He doesn't worry about it because he pays people to make sure it doesn't happen to his team.

Every thing is above board for this game if MI wins this game it's because they are the better team same goes for Alabama. May the best team win. GO BLUE

I just hope that when MI wins tomorrow I don't have to read a hundred post about cheating. Even Saban said it should be a moot point that if coaches did their jobs it wouldn't matter anyways. He doesn't worry about it because he pays people to make sure it doesn't happen to his team.

Every thing is above board for this game if MI wins this game it's because they are the better team same goes for Alabama. May the best team win. GO BLUE
Go Blue

Meh college football murdered itself… I ve said for years the NFL needs a true minor league system to get the guys only focused on going pro from day 1 out… id bet we would be surprised how much extra talent is actually dredged up if the “ elite” prospects were removed from the picture and not taking up roster spots only to bail for the end of the season
I agree. There are 120+ fbs programs. It’s hard to gauge true talent when only 25 which really means only about 10 of those schools get serious looks.

It is a feel good story for nfl scouts however who find the John Stallworths, Jack Lamberts and James Harrison’s in the draft

you know whatever happens you're still my brother from another mother......

Looks great. I’ve heard of it. Never seen.
My fave at the moment is Shorsey
Small world my friend.
My sister and brother-in-law are in town so I took them to lunch today. Apparently they are both working on the set of season 3 of Shoresy along with his brother and wife.
Jared Keeso actually had his tooth removed to play the part. He is the writer/executive producer as well. Sudbury and North Bay area have become huge in the film industry here in Canada.

Since you are a Bulldog fan and I asked for Georgia to beat FSU by at least 20 in the Orange Bowl ........mission accomplished .... I asked them to get me something related to the show as a gift for you..... I will PM for details

Can't wait for the Bowl games tomorrow

Certainly no college expert here,but nobody gives Washington even a mention. **** that. I hope they stomp on everyone.......Go Huskies!