• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Champ Week and News

True, at that point the committee sent the message that they just take whoever they want and conference titles are meaningless.
What really bugged me about the 2016 Season when they were 10 - 2 and won the Big Ten was the Committee putting OSU against Alabama and Clemson against Washington. OSU was shut out against Alabama and Washington got smoked 24 - 7 against Clemson. Penn State might not have beaten either Alabama or Clemson but with Barkley and McSorley I think they'd have scored more than 7 points and made a game of it. Even in a losing effort, they hung 49 on USC in the Rose Bowl.

What really bugged me about the 2016 Season when they were 10 - 2 and won the Big Ten was the Committee putting OSU against Alabama and Clemson against Washington. OSU was shut out against Alabama and Washington got smoked 24 - 7 against Clemson. Penn State might not have beaten either Alabama or Clemson but with Barkley and McSorley I think they'd have scored more than 7 points and made a game of it. Even in a losing effort, they hung 49 on USC in the Rose Bowl.
Not only did they have Barkley and McSorley...they also had Miles Sanders, Mike Gesicki and Chris Godwin on offense.

Here are the resmues, Best wins, and the losses

TCU Wins - 10 Kansas State, 20 Texas. Loss in Big 12 Champ vs K State in OT
Ohio State - 21 Notre Dame, @ 8 Penn State. Loss to Mich at home
Bama - 20 Texas and 24 Miss State. Losses Tennessee and LSU

So to sum up, Bama has 1 more loss than TCU and Ohio State and they have the weakest wins of the 3 teams. If you want to say they had 2 close losses, then you also have to say that they have 2 last second wins vs Texas and Texas A&M so if you want to say Bama could be unbeaten, you also have to say they could have lost 4 games.

Playoff has to be
1 Georgia
2 Michigan
3 TCU
4 Ohio State

If Michigan somehow losses to Purdue, I suppose you could do 2 TCU and 3 Michigan but that pretty meaningless because they would still play each other. The only meaning a Michigan loss would have is the warm feeling of seeing Harbaugh lose the Big 10.

Penn State would be the real loser if Purdue wins because PSU would lose the Rose Bowl and probably end up playing Tulane.

I thought Saban presented some good arguments for Alabama.

Good games and blowouts. Michigan is good but would be so much better with Corum or if Edwards didn't have one hand tied behind his back. Georgia is the best and I would be shocked if they don't win it all.

The playoff should be a no-brainer (even with TCU losing in OT) but the committee has done some dumb arse stuff in the past.
1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. Ohio State

i hope they pick some teams that have a shot at beating Georgia. That probably eliminates the Steelers.

Can anyone explain why the 10-2 team from the SEC deserves an invite, but the 10-2 SEC team that beat them does not?

Can anyone explain why the 10-2 team from the SEC deserves an invite, but the 10-2 SEC team that beat them does not?
If you're talking about Tennessee, they were more viciously sodomized by South Carolina than OSU was by Michigan, but it was a road game.

If you're talking about Tennessee, they were more viciously sodomized by South Carolina than OSU was by Michigan, but it was a road game.
But both teams were competitive at times during those games. They weren’t start to finish domination.

But both teams were competitive at times during those games. They weren’t start to finish domination.
I'm not really advocating for Alabama. I just have a problem with OSU backing in after getting blasted in their biggest game of the year. Put Utah in. They beat USC twice. I'll be glad when the field expands. Hopefully it will diminish these types of situations, or at the very least increase the odds of getting the best teams into the playoff.

I'm not really advocating for Alabama. I just have a problem with OSU backing in after getting blasted in their biggest game of the year. Put Utah in. They beat USC twice. I'll be glad when the field expands. Hopefully it will diminish these types of situations, or at the very least increase the odds of getting the best teams into the playoff.
So, a team whose only loss is to a top 4 team should be set aside for a team that lost 3 games against weaker competition. That makes sense.
Hell, even Nick Saban would probably agree. Of course, then it would put in question his Championship the year lost to Auburn for his team's only loss on the season the score was 41-24 or something like that), "backed in" to the playoffs, and then won the whole thing. Sorry, the precedent has been set by the committee. The only question is if they follow it or not.

Meh I think OSU and Bama should fight to the death in a play in for the last playoff spot … here is the catch, loser is eliminated for next year too … that is some stakes high enough to get me watching lol.. make it so…
Random land mines in the field?