• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 1

the-hate-is-strong-in-this-one.jpg

of course i hate Ohio State. You should take it as a complement. It's because OSU is where i want PSU to be. I only hate OSU because they are in penn state's way. Kind of like I used to hate the Pats but not so much anymore. I do hate Michigan for more visceral reasons. I don't know why exactly. I hated Michigan even when i was a kid and PSU never played them. I remember asking my dad why everyone makes a big deal out of Michigan when they never win anything. He just said that's a good question.

The only time i hated ohio state was when our company was headquartered in Columbus and general manager and half the corporate dipshits were insufferable ohio state imbeciles… after enough obnoxious assholery in the name of ohio state, i was willing to root against the good fans of that team to make those jackasses suffer 😂

31 post about college football and NOT ONE WORD about Alabama...

#hatersgonhate

you want a breakdown on Bama being a 42 point favorite vs Utah State? I rarely mention Bama in these threads because they usually have a game where they are a hug favorite. Next week vs Texas might make an appearance. After the berakdown of huge Penn State vs Ohio game of course.

The thing is you open against some crap non power school at home and you can afford some missed tackles and bad throws… you can learn from those mistakes and fix them before things really heat up… do it on the road against an ok power conference team and its a totally different story

Exactly. This is why this game worried me so much. There's no preseason on colleg so opening on the road vs a good opponent is tough. These colleges are similar to the NFL now where they limit contact in practice so tackling is often terrible early season. OL play is often suspect too because you need live contact to properly practice OL play. The steelers may run into this as well.

I was hoping the OL would look better and it did but that's a very low ball because it was awful last year. Again, similar to the steelers.

This game summed up Sean Clifford. The guy really is a good college QB, better than most. He is as physically and mentally tough as they come and he does make big plays. But every game he will make a handful of plays that make you face palm and say WTF.

Penn State obviously wanted to work on the run game and they forced it a lot. You could see the talent of freshman running backs Nick Singleton and Kaytron Allen. They actually caused some missed tackles which we haven't seen since Miles Sanders left. STill when there are no holes, it's hard to run consistently no matter how good the RB.

Penn State has one of the best secondaries in the country, bar none. The new DC put them in man coverage a lot. Porter had 3 PBU and the team had 10 PBU. You rarely see that many in a game.

I don't understand why Purdue kept throwing at Joey Porter. He's gonna be a 1st rounder.

Top QB recruit Drew Alar made an appearance while Clifford was out with cramps. He's 6'5 and 240. You can see why he gets Big Ben comparisons.

Tons of drops by Penn State both on offense and defense. On offense they dropped 5 by my count. On defense they dropped at least 2 INTs.

Lots of new faces in the front 7 on defense. It showed. Much of Purdue's passing success was exploiting the LBs in coverage. It didn't help that one of their LB was ejected on a bogus targeting call.

They need to get rid of targeting or at least make it where guys are only elected for egregious hits. When you have to go to a slo mo replay and multiple angles, it's not a dirty hit. Everybody knows a dirty hit when they see it after 1 replay.

Screwball Peanut Butter Whiskey + Guiness is not that good. It sounded like a good idea at the time. Too bad they stopped making Yuengling wit Hershey chocolate. That was delicious.

Try making carnitas with orange zest. It's awesome.

I'm celebrating the win vs the boilermakers with a boilermaker, a shot and a beer. Maybe i'll take a benadryl and make it a party.

Exactly. This is why this game worried me so much. There's no preseason on colleg so opening on the road vs a good opponent is tough. These colleges are similar to the NFL now where they limit contact in practice so tackling is often terrible early season. OL play is often suspect too because you need live contact to properly practice OL play. The steelers may run into this as well.

I was hoping the OL would look better and it did but that's a very low ball because it was awful last year. Again, similar to the steelers.

This game summed up Sean Clifford. The guy really is a good college QB, better than most. He is as physically and mentally tough as they come and he does make big plays. But every game he will make a handful of plays that make you face palm and say WTF.

Penn State obviously wanted to work on the run game and they forced it a lot. You could see the talent of freshman running backs Nick Singleton and Kaytron Allen. They actually caused some missed tackles which we haven't seen since Miles Sanders left. STill when there are no holes, it's hard to run consistently no matter how good the RB.

Penn State has one of the best secondaries in the country, bar none. The new DC put them in man coverage a lot. Porter had 3 PBU and the team had 10 PBU. You rarely see that many in a game.

I don't understand why Purdue kept throwing at Joey Porter. He's gonna be a 1st rounder.

Top QB recruit Drew Alar made an appearance while Clifford was out with cramps. He's 6'5 and 240. You can see why he gets Big Ben comparisons.

Tons of drops by Penn State both on offense and defense. On offense they dropped 5 by my count. On defense they dropped at least 2 INTs.

Lots of new faces in the front 7 on defense. It showed. Much of Purdue's passing success was exploiting the LBs in coverage. It didn't help that one of their LB was ejected on a bogus targeting call.

They need to get rid of targeting or at least make it where guys are only elected for egregious hits. When you have to go to a slo mo replay and multiple angles, it's not a dirty hit. Everybody knows a dirty hit when they see it after 1 replay.

Screwball Peanut Butter Whiskey + Guiness is not that good. It sounded like a good idea at the time. Too bad they stopped making Yuengling wit Hershey chocolate. That was delicious.

Try making carnitas with orange zest. It's awesome.

I'm celebrating the win vs the boilermakers with a boilermaker, a shot and a beer. Maybe i'll take a benadryl and make it a party.
I need to party with you mate! Lions with the win!! We are!!!

No, he really isn't. He isn't the worst, but he is wildly inconsistent, misses open guys A LOT, and make a lot of bad decisions. That this turned out well for him after he tried to give it away speaks more to how inexplicably soft Purdue's defense played that final drive rather than Clifford's genius under center. The guy is mediocre.

Penn State may have tried (like the Steelers) to improve their run game but in PSU's case (at least in one game), it doesn't look like they achieved much, if anything. If they have no running game in the Big 10 or 20 or however many teams there are now, they will not compete for anything. You need a good running game in the Big 10 especially when it gets cold and rainy.

No, he really isn't. He isn't the worst, but he is wildly inconsistent, misses open guys A LOT, and make a lot of bad decisions. That this turned out well for him after he tried to give it away speaks more to how inexplicably soft Purdue's defense played that final drive rather than Clifford's genius under center. The guy is mediocre.
I have to agree. Never been a Clifford fan and I don't think he should have been handed the starting job this year. Allar is the future. They put him in for a few throws. Maybe that means Clifford will be on a short leash. Apparently, Allar has drastically improved in practice and has looked very good.

Penn State may have tried (like the Steelers) to improve their run game but in PSU's case (at least in one game), it doesn't look like they achieved much, if anything. If they have no running game in the Big 10 or 20 or however many teams there are now, they will not compete for anything. You need a good running game in the Big 10 especially when it gets cold and rainy.

Well, at least they have a better running game than Purdue has....:D

With 5 minutes left and Purdue was pass pass pass punt pass pass pass punt you would have thought I was a Purdue fan yelling at the TV....Lots of WTF are they doing?!?!?

We had to put up with the announcers going on an on all game about how Purdue just had to have a little bit of a running game this year for situations like that and then when they needed it they pass like they were down 3 scores. Did they not run the ball and score a rushing TD in the first half? Even if they don't get any yards run run run punt kills more time than 3 incompletes and a punt right?

Last edited:
of course i hate Ohio State. You should take it as a complement. It's because OSU is where i want PSU to be. I only hate OSU because they are in penn state's way. Kind of like I used to hate the Pats but not so much anymore. I do hate Michigan for more visceral reasons. I don't know why exactly. I hated Michigan even when i was a kid and PSU never played them. I remember asking my dad why everyone makes a big deal out of Michigan when they never win anything. He just said that's a good question.
Ahhhh, I see. Kinda like why I hate 'Bama. @bermudasteel

I cared less who won the Pitt game, but I do say the refs were suspect more than not and I applaud the WVU coach chasing them down and his comment after the game. Was an entertaining game but then listening to Riddick was sure over the top bias I bet some hats from West Virginia were thrown at the TV. Glad he is not our GM just threw that in for the fun of it. Pitt should have won being number 17 and playing at home but the game was much closer than the announcers would admit, turnover was the difference. Both teams had some players that stood out.

VOLS ran up the score on an over-matched Ball State, then let their second and third stringers in on the fray.

c-ya next week, Pitt.

The only time i hated ohio state was when our company was headquartered in Columbus and general manager and half the corporate dipshits were insufferable ohio state imbeciles… after enough obnoxious assholery in the name of ohio state, i was willing to root against the good fans of that team to make those jackasses suffer 😂

Sometimes that is the best reasoning. I have a ravens fan that is ***-hole-misery and stupidly dumb as ****. I don't like the ravens for many reasons but his is a part of that reason.

Salute the nation

I hate Ohio State because I don't root for anything Ohio.

On second thought I don't really "hate hate" OSU, I just want them to lose to whoever they play.

I cared less who won the Pitt game, but I do say the refs were suspect more than not and I applaud the WVU coach chasing them down and his comment after the game. Was an entertaining game but then listening to Riddick was sure over the top bias I bet some hats from West Virginia were thrown at the TV. Glad he is not our GM just threw that in for the fun of it. Pitt should have won being number 17 and playing at home but the game was much closer than the announcers would admit, turnover was the difference. Both teams had some players that stood out.
Actually, I thought the officiating was pretty good, the targeting calls that were reversed were the correct call, as was the one that stood.

WVU lost when their coach got conservative and did go for it on 4th and inches when they were gashing the Pitt line with their freshman RB. If Brown wants to point fingers, it should be done in front of a mirror.

Being a casual college football fan (if even that), I could never understand the hate thing, primarily from older mature adults. You'll even here it from sports talk guys here in Cleveland. You're all grown up now. Taking shots at each other's team should be left to the students.

"Michigan sucks" ...f u c k Michigan" ....Harbaugh sucks.. blah blah blah.

The majority of these kids will never set foot on an NFL field. Many of these players weren't even granted a scholarship.

Save the hate for those NFL teams and their entitled millionaire players.

As I said, I root for OSU to lose. If they win I won't lose sleep. I'll just root for the next team to beat them.
I'm originally from Pa., If PSU wins, great. If not, not going to lose sleep either.

I have no more hate toward college teams than I do toward the local rival High School teams. I find it stupid and immature.

I think its great Slovis transferred had we not taken Kenny and taken BPA or traded up for DT Davis or the best CB Slovis was ranked as a high QB by Lindy's draft magazine, he didn't play last year and say this year he was at USC and has great year I because of USC track record with QB after Palmer I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole, Leinart, David Booty Davis and the rest of the scrubs. I had the spread for Penn ST -3 and dam Clifford is a frustrating QB. We got to get Porter JR he looks amazing don't know why Purdue late kept trying to beat him and he kept breaking up passes.
Really lame targeting call on the penn ST Lb/DE.
Advice I am planning's these picks
Michigan -32
Oregon +15
Applachian ST +1
MSU -22
V tech -6
Indiana -2
Kuntucky -32
Sooners -34

any advice or your picks bettors

That was a great game last night between Penn State and Perdue and an honor to see our family friend Chop Robinson (#44 for Penn State) get the sack to seal the game.

Demeioun Robinson (Chop) grew up with my youngest son. They played AAU basketball together for a few years, and went to high school together. Chop spent several nights in my home over the years, last time being right after a high school football game where he went against Bryan Bresee (who now plays for Clemson) - and we beat them :). I made a massive amount of food, grilled a ton of chicken. My God, if that was my kid I'd be broke lol.

He's one of the nicest guys we've known and a dog on the field. One of those gentle giant types that puts a helmet on and transforms.

He was a consensus four-star recruit by On3, 247Sports, Rivals and ESPN, the top-ranked player in the state of Maryland according to ESPN and ranked the 35th prospect nationally by ESPN.

I just know him as a great kid. Never knew back then he was that damned good.

Oh, and both my sons now go to THE Ohio State, so screw all ya haters LOL

I'll see a couple games this fall and party with them.

1662154290893.png

I think its great Slovis transferred had we not taken Kenny and taken BPA or traded up for DT Davis or the best CB Slovis was ranked as a high QB by Lindy's draft magazine, he didn't play last year and say this year he was at USC and has great year I because of USC track record with QB after Palmer I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole, Leinart, David Booty Davis and the rest of the scrubs. I had the spread for Penn ST -3 and dam Clifford is a frustrating QB. We got to get Porter JR he looks amazing don't know why Purdue late kept trying to beat him and he kept breaking up passes.
Really lame targeting call on the penn ST Lb/DE.
Advice I am planning's these picks
Michigan -32
Oregon +15
Applachian ST +1
MSU -22
V tech -6
Indiana -2
Kuntucky -32
Sooners -34

any advice or your picks bettors
Utah St +42
Louisville -4.5
Utah -2.5
OSU -17
Clemson -22

Watched Michigan State last night. Not impressed. If Western Michigan doesn’t repeatedly shoot themselves in the foot, that’s a different game. Not sure about that #15 rank MSU has.

you want a breakdown on Bama being a 42 point favorite vs Utah State? I rarely mention Bama in these threads because they usually have a game where they are a hug favorite. Next week vs Texas might make an appearance. After the berakdown of huge Penn State vs Ohio game of course.
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/YpTBEI2X4Bjm57ashr" width="456" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

only you...

How do you feel about the Rats, Stains or Bungles?

You would have to experience it, to understand it.
Hate em!
Like I said, aim the hate at where it is justified. At the professional big dollar players, not to a bunch of kids.