• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Conference Championship Thread

With the first one, not so much. You are also assuming the kicker makes both of those. Reynolds would be No. 1 on my list of guys I'd be mad at. Dropped ball that hit him right in the hands on fourth down. Dropped ball that hit him right in the numbers on third down. I'd also be mad at the players who couldn't finish the sacks and Gibbs for the fumble. Campbell's second 4th down attempt was terrible, but the players imploding on the field in the third is what ultimately put them in that situation.
I HATED the first 4th call. He was fine with taking the 17 point lead going into the half. Niners got 3 on their opening drive of the 2nd half. Nullify it and get the 17 point lead back with just one quarter and some change to go. Keep the pressure and the clock on them, make them earn it. Don't hand them turnovers. Being aggressive is fine, but being smart and playing the situations is championship football. I loath the inflexible attitude of, "This is what I do." Then enjoy your L.

I HATED the first 4th call. He was fine with taking the 17 point lead going into the half. Niners got 3 on their opening drive of the 2nd half. Nullify it and get the 17 point lead back with just one quarter and some change to go. Keep the pressure and the clock on them, make them earn it. Don't hand them turnovers. Being aggressive is fine, but being smart and playing the situations is championship football. I loath the inflexible attitude of, "This is what I do." Then enjoy your L.
Yep. People dont understand when to push and when tonplay conservative...its all one or the other too much

I live in Lansing and was out watching the game with some friends. Folks were living it up. I would have never anticipated that Detriot would take it to San Fran like they did. I was working and trying to watch. I was a bit distracted in 2nd half and missed a lot that was going on, but I gather Dan the Man still doesn't know when to take points and when to go for it, not that the points were guaranteed or anything. Detroit also missed a few routine plays that would have gone a long way towards winning.
Sounds like a learning experience. Glad the franchise has finally found a semblance of winning at least. I wanted the win for the fans as that community rallied behind it. Hopefully they bounce back. Good thing Harbaugh brought them a natty in college lol

Sounds like a learning experience. Glad the franchise has finally found a semblance of winning at least. I wanted the win for the fans as that community rallied behind it. Hopefully they bounce back. Good thing Harbaugh brought them a natty in college lol
That was a totally winable game for Detroit ......... poor coaching decisions took that win away........
17 points at the half ....................... could have tried a FG to make it 17 points with 7 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter
Instead ........ 4th down stop ....... momentum shift ......... crowd wakening up ........ a lucky bounce . ...... end with a great team cinderella story explaining stupid stuff at the presser

windows of opportunity close quickly in this league ..... look at Buffalo .... now Detroit may lose OC .... rookies may have a sophomore slump ..... Dan Campbell may still be ....well

Just imagine if Tomlin made those absolutely horrible decisions that Campbell did...

I had a 90% chance of winning $1000 mid way thru 3rd quarter and The Big Dummy totally screwed the pooch!

Those decisions, especially the one late in 3rd quarter might go down as the biggest coaching gaffes in NFL playoff history!

Just imagine if Tomlin made those absolutely horrible decisions that Campbell did...

I had a 90% chance of winning $1000 mid way thru 3rd quarter and The Big Dummy totally screwed the pooch!

Those decisions, especially the one late in 3rd quarter might go down as the biggest coaching gaffes in NFL playoff history!
He has made horrible decisions like that in the playoffs.

There's a difference between questionable decision and flat out horrible decisions.

He coached that game like it was September football...terrible!
Like punting from near mid-field on 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter trailing by 12 points when your offense was moving the ball at will? How about primarily using 2 DL personnel vs the best rushing team with the best Oline in the NFL? How about calling a toss to the short side of the field 7 yards behind the LOS on 4th and inches?

Like punting from near mid-field on 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter trailing by 12 points when your offense was moving the ball at will? How about primarily using 2 DL personnel vs the best rushing team with the best Oline in the NFL? How about calling a toss to the short side of the field 7 yards behind the LOS on 4th and inches?
Not even in the same category as not taking points, especially to tie a Championship game late in 3rd quarter after squandering a huge lead, all this after losing 3 points earlier in the game.

This was not a week 3 regular season game when you know you have 14 more games to follow..

Dan Campbell was more interested in proving a point than helping his well deserving players get to a superbowl.
His ego lost the Lions the game. He should have taken a deep breath and asked himself what Bill Belichick would do in that situation?
4th quarter already failed one 4th down, team lost all the momentum by that point yet still had a chance to tie!
Take the points dummy

Man, I don't know. The players really failed to execute plays that were there for the taking in the third quarter. The coaches put them in position to succeed and they didn't.
Kneecap made some bad decisions but Lions’ receivers dropped a bunch of balls in the second half.

Kneecap made some bad decisions but Lions’ receivers dropped a bunch of balls in the second half.
Yes..
All the more reason to recognize the temperature of your team and take the points..
Not only that.. the 49ers were getting much more pressure on Goff in second half and Goff is not as nearly as accurate when off his mark.

Kick the damn ball!

Mind blowing. Just a crushing loss. Can you imagine being a Detroit fan at halftime vs the end of the game. Holy hell.
I’d be wanting the HC fired even though he’s white.
IYKYK.

I don’t think you are talking about Detroit here……………………….. (sarcasm)

Saluter the natiobn

Not as bad as Pete Carroll in the Super Bowl, but it’s up there.
Hairball F’d up a bunch too yesterday.

All dumbass stuff Coryea ......... but I agree with Dino on this one .......... Dan Campbell .... knee capped his own staff and players ....... OC did an amazing game plan to put them in a good position ..... and the HC pissed it all away with next level dumbassery .... there are small windows in the NFL ...... Campbell not only closed one but smashed one leaving shards of glass everywhere and more pane and anguish for Lions fans

That was a totally winable game for Detroit ......... poor coaching decisions took that win away........
17 points at the half ....................... could have tried a FG to make it 17 points with 7 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter
Instead ........ 4th down stop ....... momentum shift ......... crowd wakening up ........ a lucky bounce . ...... end with a great team cinderella story explaining stupid stuff at the presser

windows of opportunity close quickly in this league ..... look at Buffalo .... now Detroit may lose OC .... rookies may have a sophomore slump ..... Dan Campbell may still be ....well
I didn’t watch it. Only going off of this thread lol

I didn’t watch it. Only going off of this thread lol
SF was reeling ........ shots of Shanahan early .... were WTF is happening to us ......... DETROIT had their foot on SF neck ..... when Detroit decided to pass on a makeable FG try on 4th down ......... and the ball was dropped ...... everything and I mean everything started going SF way 27 unanswered points..... Detroit passed again on a tying FG try in the 4th after losing the lead ......... just dumb dumb dumb ..... BART Simpson taking nutsack kicks from Millhouse without a jock strap ....... that is Detroit after minute 8 in the 3rd quarter

All dumbass stuff Coryea ......... but I agree with Dino on this one .......... Dan Campbell .... knee capped his own staff and players ....... OC did an amazing game plan to put them in a good position ..... and the HC pissed it all away with next level dumbassery .... there are small windows in the NFL ...... Campbell not only closed one but smashed one leaving shards of glass everywhere and more pane and anguish for Lions fans
I don't know, Campbell made 2 horrible decisions to not attempt a FG no doubt extreme dumbassery, but Tomlin came up with an entire game plan of dumbassery. What idiot goes into a game in cold weather vs the best running team in the NFL with the best Oline in the NFL, and their thought is, hmmm the best way to stop them would be to only use 2 DL, let that sink in, the best Oline and running game in the league, and you're plan is to stop them with just 2 DL. Cleveland's first 4 offensive TD's occurred with us only having 2 DL on the field.

I have a feeling of Campbell would have went for the points and the kicker missed people would jumped him for not being aggressive and doing what got them there. I would have tried the FGs, but Campbell was trying to kick a team while it was down on the first one. If Detroit gets in that position again i bet it will be coached differently