• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Covid, Ukraine and Taiwan

I read where Poland could see 1 million refugees. How do they deal with that?

Thought I read somewhere that they took in almost 2 million in 2014, but that doesn't sound right. Can't find anything that confirms it either. Maybe that's the amount of Ukrainians living in Poland. Moldova, Slovakia and Romania will likely take some in too. And Hungary.

Holy ****.

This is a tale of a brutal dictator, who unilaterally, without provocation, unleashed an overwhelming military force on a peaceful, democratic neighbor in Ukraine. Just starting heaving missiles and bombs, sending in tanks & fighter jets, cause he has hurt feelings about the downfall of the Soviet Empire.

This harkens back to the dark days of the 30's, when crazed maniacs had designs on ruling the world, stomping through nation-state borders, building empires.

The now 70-year Putin has lost his ************* mind.

There's a sure spot waiting for him in hell, and perhaps at the Hague Tribunal, to face war crimes.

In the meantime, it's a zero sum game. If NATO/US confronts Russia, we're smack dab in the middle of an unimaginable nuclear conflict.

After all that's been said and done with Saddam, Kim Jong-un, Bin Laden et al, who knew the world would be staring down Bond-villain Vladimir Putin in 2022?

The dude's gone ******* haywire. Hug your kids & loved ones, be glad you're thousands of miles away.

Not sure where this is going. The mere fact that we're here, is absolutely nutso. In every which way. Stay safe, folks.

Go Steelers.
All politics aside be safe. I could see Hungary being a target.

We’re gonna dragged into this ****. 3rd BCT, 82nd Airborne is already in Poland, and 2nd BCT is “in the breach.” Not officially alerted to deploy yet, but they are preparing. I imagine there is similar activity Army wide. The activity on Fort Bragg these last few weeks is remarkable. A lot of **** going on.

From what I'm seeing so far, they aren't willing to give up and Russia has it's hands full. Those hypersonic missiles Russia has been bragging about for a while I know nothing about, except that they're fast. How much damage can those do? Anyone on here know?

Hypersonic missiles are important for evading the very advanced missile defense systems in the United States. Ukraine does not have the same missile defenses so Russia has no need to deploy hypersonic missiles. In fact, traditional rockets are more accurate than hypersonic missiles.

Ukraine is not going to win a traditional war. Russia has vastly more troops, hardware, etc. than Ukraine. Ukraine will win an insurgency if it fights with the same hostility, resolve and violence as did the people in Vietnam, Afghanistan x 2 and Iraq.

I read where Poland could see 1 million refugees. How do they deal with that?

They could ask Arizona and Texas.

Holy ****.

MF. Over the last year we have been trying to get business at a steel mill in Ukraine, which happens to be Russian-owned. After a successful trial we got the PO on Wednesday. Thursday‘s invasion ****** that up. We have to ship containers via Ocean freight. thats on hold now. If Russia gets banned from Swift then they can’t do international banking and I pissed away a year working on this. I don’t mean to sound selfish, I’m just pissed. So close...

Hypersonic missiles are important for evading the very advanced missile defense systems in the United States. Ukraine does not have the same missile defenses so Russia has no need to deploy hypersonic missiles. In fact, traditional rockets are more accurate than hypersonic missiles.

Ukraine is not going to win a traditional war. Russia has vastly more troops, hardware, etc. than Ukraine. Ukraine will win an insurgency if it fights with the same hostility, resolve and violence as did the people in Vietnam, Afghanistan x 2 and Iraq.

You're right, didn't even cross my mind but there's no need. Ukraine could eventually win an insurgency because they've seen this before and will fight to the bitter end more than likely because of the sheer number of people, and a lot of hostile people who absolutely hate Putin. It's just going to be at a tremendous cost to them. I think some were caught off guard because what's Putin's endgame really with an all-out invasion? Trying to install a puppet government in a country that's going to give them more resistance than even Afghanistan? Putin's lost his mind with this one IMO. I heard that even China are privately scratching their heads. Craziness.

The ******* Mayor of Kyiv:

This is a tale of a brutal dictator, who unilaterally, without provocation, unleashed an overwhelming military force on a peaceful, democratic neighbor in Ukraine. Just starting heaving missiles and bombs, sending in tanks & fighter jets, cause he has hurt feelings about the downfall of the Soviet Empire.

"Hurt feelings" is the only unifying principle of the (D)imbo party, Tibilo.

Also, do you finally understand why most of us have wanted to develop our own energy - all types, including the billions of barrels of oil under our feet - for years? If America is an energy superpower, developing our vast energy reserves, we can tell Germany not to worry about producing electricity, we have them covered, when their windmills and unicorn farts shockingly fail to meet projections yet again.

This harkens back to the dark days of the 30's, when crazed maniacs had designs on ruling the world, stomping through nation-state borders, building empires.

Dictators swallowed up nations later than that, in the 1940's and 1950's (Soviet Union under Stalin). Teddy Kennedy thought Reagan was the danger, the Soviet Union a potential ally.

The now 70-year Putin has lost his ************* mind. There's a sure spot waiting for him in hell, and perhaps at the Hague Tribunal, to face war crimes.

Agreed.

So let me ask - do you feel like an idiot for stating numerous times that Donald Trump was the most dangerous man you have ever known, a sure-fire dictator, a threat to humanity, now that you've seen an actual dictator in action??

You reappear on this forum without mentioning - once - that the entire goddamn Russia collusion claim was a lie, a hoax, a scam, and never apologize for spreading that lie for years.

After all that's been said and done with Saddam, Kim Jong-un, Bin Laden et al, who knew the world would be staring down Bond-villain Vladimir Putin in 2022?

I think this very result should have been known to America's foreign policy "experts" after the Russians invaded Georgia in 2008, Crimea in 2014, and then put 190,000 troops and a massive amount of hardware on its Western border in December of 2021. Don't you?

And do you have a whit of criticism of Biden for holding his dick for three months while the Russians prepared for the invasion?? Biden and Austin knew by late November that Ukraine was in danger and needed a LOT of hardware from the United States - and did basically NOTHING. ****, other than 79 Javelins in late January.

79 Javelins - where the Russians had 1,200 tanks on the Ukrainian border.

The dude's gone ******* haywire. Hug your kids & loved ones, be glad you're thousands of miles away.

I have always loved my country and wanted to protect it from invasion, by anybody - Russians, Mexicans OR Central Americans.

Go Steelers.

Something we can agree on.

If the old kgb **** has visions of returning the old Soviet Union you can expect them to target more countries soon.

I personally hope the Russian citizens hang him with no drop.

I'm not sure Ukraine is comparable to Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq:

1. Ukraine doesn't have the hostile terrain that can be used by insurgents that Vietnam and Afghanistan have;
2. Iraqi insurgents had a lot of support (financial, manpower and logistical) from ISIS and the Iranian government, the Vietnamese had support from USSR and China. It looks like (apart from some weapons from NATO) Ukraine is going to be on its own;
3. Russia has already shown in just a couple of days with it's bombing of hospitals and residential buildings, and tanks chasing down and running over cars, that they aren't going to abide by any humanitarian moral codes.

I doubt it. I think the former USSR nations (the Baltics, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan etc) would be more likely. Also, despite his public denunciation of Russia's actions I see Orban and Putin as birds of a feather. I'm not entirely convinced Russia invading Ukraine after Hungary signed a gas deal with Russia that bypasses Ukraine (therefore meaning in the absence of sanctions the invasion will not disrupt Hungarian gas supplies), is mere coincidence.

I doubt it. I think the former USSR nations (the Baltics, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan etc) would be more likely. Also, despite his public denunciation of Russia's actions I see Orban and Putin as birds of a feather. I'm not entirely convinced Russia invading Ukraine after Hungary signed a gas deal with Russia that bypasses Ukraine (therefore meaning in the absence of sanctions the invasion will not disrupt Hungarian gas supplies), is mere coincidence.
Yes you are most likely correct but who knows with Putin.

I'm not sure Ukraine is comparable to Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq:

1. Ukraine doesn't have the hostile terrain that can be used by insurgents that Vietnam and Afghanistan have;

I don't know a lot about Ukraine's terrain, but believe much of it is heavily forested. That is an ideal hiding spot and place where mechanized armor is not nearly as much an advantage. Also, Afghanistan has brutal mountains and bitter cold, Vietnam those endless jungles and heat, but Iraq is as open a terrain as I can imagine and yet ...

2. Iraqi insurgents had a lot of support (financial, manpower and logistical) from ISIS and the Iranian government, the Vietnamese had support from USSR and China. It looks like (apart from some weapons from NATO) Ukraine is going to be on its own;

The United States is good at one thing, and that is giving away money and weapons.

3. Russia has already shown in just a couple of days with it's bombing of hospitals and residential buildings, and tanks chasing down and running over cars, that they aren't going to abide by any humanitarian moral codes.

THAT is the real difference. Even then, an invading army will be whittled down by a motivated, hostile native population. Ukraine is a big-*** country with a very large population. If just 10% of the population takes up arms against the invaders, that is 4 million people.

What is the scoop with the Russian soldiers, are they all mainly draftees? Just wondering how many are going to want to be there after a few years of getting picked off and sitting around in the cold in a hostile country at the whim of an obvious lunatic.

What is the scoop with the Russian soldiers, are they all mainly draftees? Just wondering how many are going to want to be there after a few years of getting picked off and sitting around in the cold in a hostile country at the whim of an obvious lunatic.
A lunatic who might not live that ten years, anyway..

I don't know a lot about Ukraine's terrain, but believe much of it is heavily forested. That is an ideal hiding spot and place where mechanized armor is not nearly as much an advantage.
Unfortunately for Ukraine more of it is plains than forest, and the heavily forested, mountainous areas are in the west and south-west, on its borders with Poland, Slovakia and Romania and won't be an impediment to Russian troops and tanks coming from Russia and Belarus.
THAT is the real difference. Even then, an invading army will be whittled down by a motivated, hostile native population. Ukraine is a big-*** country with a very large population. If just 10% of the population takes up arms against the invaders, that is 4 million people.
I hope you are right, but unfortunately unless NATO gets involved, I see Ukraine being part of Russia within 12 months, with the Hungarian speaking part of Ukraine possibly being handed over to Hungary.

Unfortunately for Ukraine more of it is plains than forest, and the heavily forested, mountainous areas are in the west and south-west, on its borders with Poland, Slovakia and Romania and won't be an impediment to Russian troops and tanks coming from Russia and Belarus.

I hope you are right, but unfortunately unless NATO gets involved, I see Ukraine being part of Russia within 12 months, with the Hungarian speaking part of Ukraine possibly being handed over to Hungary.
It likely won't happen but with 1/3 of their armed forces chipping away at Ukraine, I would like to to see the bear poked in parts of their mother country to distract them. Things blow up you know...

Last edited:

Russian infantry finding food at a local market. I presume they used a credit card.