• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

CPA's are going to be pissed.

“We’ve transformed this nation from asking where are the jobs to asking where are the workers,” Brady said.

Best part of the article.

“We’ve transformed this nation from asking where are the jobs to asking where are the workers,” Brady said.

Best part of the article.

Ain't helping me here but I still believe. PA in general and western PA in particular has been ****** up for a long time. My part-time job is looking for a full-time job. Have another interview today.

Ain't helping me here but I still believe. PA in general and western PA in particular has been ****** up for a long time. My part-time job is looking for a full-time job. Have another interview today.

You could get your CDL, move here and make over $100K driving a tank truck.

I grew up in western PA and it is as economically depressed as it has ever been. You have to wait for someone to die for any of the good jobs to open up, and even then there's a batting order. Glad I left when I did. Most of my family still lives back there. Not sure how they stand it.

You could get your CDL, move here and make over $100K driving a tank truck.

I'd love to. Can't afford school now and can't afford no income while I go to school. A few years ago I narrowed it down to either CDL school or mortuary school and DBS talked me out of truck driver school. It's his fault. Now my cab job takes me into southeast OH and it's a freaking armada of water tanker and sand trucks and billboards advertising for drivers. I am the poster child for poor career decisions.

I'd love to. Can't afford school now and can't afford no income while I go to school. A few years ago I narrowed it down to either CDL school or mortuary school and DBS talked me out of truck driver school. It's his fault. Now my cab job takes me into southeast OH and it's a freaking armada of water tanker and sand trucks and billboards advertising for drivers. I am the poster child for poor career decisions.

I would bet that some trucking companies would pay for the cost to get your license. I think Snyder has their own school.

never, ever listen to an Ogre.
ever. never. never ever.

I grew up in western PA and it is as economically depressed as it has ever been. You have to wait for someone to die for any of the good jobs to open up, and even then there's a batting order. Glad I left when I did. Most of my family still lives back there. Not sure how they stand it.

This is false... western pa is a hotbed for many great paying jobs, there are both technical and industrial jobs that are always available but you have to know where to look and have the skills they are looking for. Schools really don't prep you for them and never teach you how to find them. The majority of my friends outside of the bar industry ones and the ones the went into medical fields thinking its a goldmine are doing very wellfor themselves... but it took a decade and a half to figure out where those jobs are for the most part...

The weird part is many of those jobs are always looking for people... but they just cant get people to pass drug tests, have the skills they need, and want to do the work they offer...

This is false... western pa is a hotbed for many great paying jobs, there are both technical and industrial jobs that are always available but you have to know where to look and have the skills they are looking for. Schools really don't prep you for them and never teach you how to find them. The majority of my friends outside of the bar industry ones and the ones the went into medical fields thinking its a goldmine are doing very wellfor themselves... but it took a decade and a half to figure out where those jobs are for the most part...

The weird part is many of those jobs are always looking for people... but they just cant get people to pass drug tests, have the skills they need, and want to do the work they offer...

A big part of the problem here was that for so long (30 years) there were very few industrial or trade jobs so very few people went into those lines of work. Then when gas drilling ramped up real fast there were not nearly enough people here to fill the need. In other words, I could make $80k or more a year now as a welder but beginning about 1980 it didn't make a lot of sense to go to school for welding if you were going to stay in the area. Also for most jobs, and I'm looking everywhere, they want experience doing that same job and apparently training is out of the question. The fact that I've had other jobs and learned their software in a week or two doesn't matter. Mrs. Burgundy and I just had this conversation a half hour ago.

Perhaps characterizing what I was saying as "Western Pennsylvania" rather than the area I am familiar with was my error. Go hang out around New Bethlehem, Clarion, Brookville, Punxsutawney, Dubois in that area. It is where I grew up. Plenty of work if you want to start at minimum wage in a lumber yard, jockey a register at Tom's Riverside or Uni-Mart or some **** like that. Every time I go home, that is all you hear. Cook Forest makes some bucks in the summer time. Eljer used to have a big factory in Ford City, sold that **** to China and moved the jobs there. My step dad, at age 58 had to take a job driving a truck for a now defunct fracking company because there was **** else, and he was in management at Eljer. But then again, that was some years ago. Had to train the ******* that took his job. Sure the dinky hospitals in that area employ doctors and nurses and such, but you could say that for anywhere. Owens-Illinois was another huge, well paying employer in that area. Closed down 5-6 years ago. Coal mining was big. Gone. Fracking took hold for a bit. Gone. I hate going back there. Bunch of ******* shanty towns anymore.

Pittsburgh may be a different story, I know it has been kind of making a small come back in recent years. I will say this. I have gotten a couple of great job offers in the Pittsburgh area in the last 6 months to a year without so much as an interview. Unfortunately, they are industrial jobs and I have been there done that. On top of that, while they pay a little more in salary than I make right now, they don't come close in the benefits department and I ******* love what I do right now, so there's that. But where I grew up, there is nothing. Nothing meaningful anyway.

Good luck Ron. Maybe this time don't bring your buddy along -

Good luck Ron. Maybe this time don't bring your buddy along.

I'm horrible at job interviews because it's impossible for me to look enthusiastic about anything. That's partly why I have a bunch of college degrees and a funeral director license, so hopefully they will open doors for me because I can't do it myself. I've done great at every job I've ever had but I'm horrible at interviews. Again part of the conversation with Mrs. Burgundy the other night.

My dad was saying about one of the former presidents of the college he used to work at, "He was a dumb **** but he had a great personality so he got ahead because people liked him."

I'm horrible at job interviews because it's impossible for me to look enthusiastic about anything. That's partly why I have a bunch of college degrees and a funeral director license, so hopefully they will open doors for me because I can't do it myself. I've done great at every job I've ever had but I'm horrible at interviews. Again part of the conversation with Mrs. Burgundy the other night.

My dad was saying about one of the former presidents of the college he used to work at, "He was a dumb **** but he had a great personality so he got ahead because people liked him."
One of these days you'll interview with someone who gets you. In the meantime, just say exactly what you just said. "Look, I know I don't come across as enthusiastic, but I always do great at every job I've ever had. I just don't make a big deal about it."

One of these days you'll interview with someone who gets you. In the meantime, just say exactly what you just said. "Look, I know I don't come across as enthusiastic, but I always do great at every job I've ever had. I just don't make a big deal about it."

When asked what my strengths and weaknesses are, in most interviews I've taken to saying that my strengths are working and my main weakness is job interviews, with a smile and slight laugh. This is normally followed by a rejection letter.