• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Derek Chauvin Trial

Steelmann, we give police a lot of authority over us and quite a few protections for discretionary actions. If society is going to give you a gun and trust you to use it only when needed, then your workplace behavior cannot be the same as most other professions. It just can't. You need to be held to a much higher standard. I think we agree on that, or at least most of us do.

However, numerous points bear discussion. First, contrary to what a lot of people think, cops are not that well-paid. Second, police officers get involved with physical scuffles all the time. At least once every two months for cops in urban areas, sometimes more, and at least 1-2x foot chases per month as well. Third, those altercations can end an officer's career and in fact in my line of work, I have personally met at least 50 police officers seriously injured by something other than a shooting. A lot of these guys were too injured to go back to policing.

Knee injuries, back injuries, rotator cuff, broken wrist, broken fingers, fractured eye socket, broken nose, skull fracture, bruised kidney, broken ankle, broken foot, badly twisted ankle, damaged spleen, and on and on. If police pulled their weapons every time a serious threat of physical harm arose due to an altercation, there would be a ****-ton more shootings than actually happen, and I'm talking about a factor of ten or twenty. It is an absolute fact that the police will not pull a gun until it is time to use it, since once you have the weapon out, then you cannot get into a physical altercation any more, since you have both hands on the weapon and if you let the bad guy get close, guess what happens 99 times out of 100? Yep, bad guy tries to grab the gun.

Fourth, police officers are called every name in the book, lied to, cussed at, threatened, etc. on a regular basis. They are treated as an occupying force in minority neighborhoods. Most departments try to change that view with public meetings, hiring minority officers, training and policies to encourage non-confrontational interaction with civilians. But the simple fact is that if you work a job where you are lied to, threatened, cussed out, and feel like you are surrounded by a hostile force, you will be defensive. Cops are people, not robots.

Fifth, I personally detest the phone camera generation. Hate it. Despise it. All these nimrod ******** with their phones - never, ever, ever do any of those worthless ***** do anything to help improve the world. How many of these ***** spend an afternoon with other phone camera devotees and pick up trash around their neighborhoods? Or work in a homeless shelter, coach youth sports? Almost never because they are a group of stupid, narcissistic, self-centered ******** too lazy to do anything to make the world a better place - apart from pointing their phones at something or somebody. "Oooooh, look at me, I'm so special, I'm taking a video of something I could have helped prevent or minimize three weeks ago but didn't!!"

You say in part, "Any officer going through the academy would realize this. Is all this police brutality,covering up, lying for each other and so on part of their job too? And no,I don’t paint all of the police with a broad brush. It’s just staggering how many break the laws, that their job is to enforce." My response is that police officers have more opportunity to harm citizens, hurt people, commit robbery or extortion, than almost any other segment of society. On a daily basis a cop has a chance to say, "I'm going to let you walk but need some incentive here." Let the wrongdoer make an offer. $100? $200? If the wrongdoer is a judge or lawyer or other admired member of society and accuses the cop of extortion, the cop can say, "Hey, hey - I was just looking for some evidence you were going to improve your behavior here. If you think otherwise, **** off. Here's the citation."

But they don't. Millions of interactions per year, tens of millions over the decades, literally hundreds of millions of chances to line their pockets or force themselves on others, and that almost never happens. The instance of it occurring are so miniscule that they make the headlines.

If we entrusted these tasks to the average member of the general public, I guaran-damn-tee you, the incidences of extortion, sexual favors, etc. would be increased beyond what you can imagine. So yes, we continue to hold cops to a very high standard. That should not change.

How about we start holding the rest of America to a higher standard as well?

They should lock him up for life and throw away the key.

Some of the comments in this thread are downright ignorant & embarrassing. But that’s nothing new.

Watching this trial, it should be abundantly clear why it’s important to say Black Lives Matter. Say it loud and say it clear, so the whole world can hear you.

Some of the comments in this thread are downright ignorant & embarrassing.

Ehh, we're used to that by you.

P.S. You idiot, most of us can't "watch this trial" because we have lives, businesses, families.

None of which you seem to have.

Black lives matter. All of them. Even the ones killed by black criminals. The Marxist organization that has been organizing riots the the last 10 months not so much. In fact Burn Loot Murder members should be shot in the face the next time they riot. Rioters riot 100% less after they have been shot in the face.

most of us can't "watch this trial" because we have lives, businesses, families.

Ha ha, but it sure doesn't keep you from sharing with the world your indepth analysis of it, of something you're not even watching. Typical, all fluff, no substance.

Oh well, keep posting morning, noon and night about things you have no time to follow, since you're just so damn busy. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ha ha, but it sure doesn't keep you from sharing with the world your indepth analysis of it, of something you're not even watching.

Did I say one ******* word about what is going in during the trial, you blithering imbecile?

Unlike you, you chattering dickwad, I actually know what the **** I am talking about relative to the law. Your stupid comments, "Oh, throw away the key" are emotional sputum from a diseased mind.

Did I say one ******* word about what is going in during the trial, you blithering imbecile? Unlike you, you chattering dickwad, I actually know what the **** I am talking about relative to the law. Your stupid comments, "Oh, throw away the key" are emotional sputum from a diseased mind.

Strange how you end up sugarcoating the acts of cold-blooded murderers, time and again. You must have skipped church on Sundays as well as your ethics courses. Oh well, at least you know what you're talking about 'relative to the law.' You have that going for you. (y)

ps - pretty funny you jumped in here and just started attacking me, totally unprovoked. Says a lot about your state of mind. Just saying. Have a great day, Steeltime.

Strange how you end up sugarcoating the acts of cold-blooded murderers, time and again. You must have skipped church on Sundays as well as your ethics courses. Oh well, at least you know what you're talking about 'relative to the law.' You have that going for you. (y)

You idiot, I explained why the prosecution is likely not going to prove the intent to kill necessary to convict on murder. I also explained how the negligent indifference to the likely harm supports negligent homicide, a.k.a., manslaughter, which is a lesser included offense.

I am sorry that you are too stupid to comprehend the written word. Not surprised, just disappointed.

ps - pretty funny you jumped in here and just started attacking me, totally unprovoked. Says a lot about your state of mind. Just saying. Have a great day, Steeltime.

Tibsy the victim. Poor, poor baby. Such a promising career selling coffee cut short by Trump's handling of the Chinese flu.

You idiot

As I've said before, I really hope you have a chance to work out some of your issues, which obviously go well beyond this board. I'm rooting for ya man. Good luck on that front.

As I've said before, I really hope you have a chance to work out some of your issues, which obviously go well beyond this board. I'm rooting for ya man. Good luck on that front.

Run along and get me a coffee. I think that is actually something within your capabilities

Run along and get me a coffee. I think that is actually something within your capabilities
Boy, you guys sure are dour since your disgraced, twice-impeached, insurrectionist demi-God got the 'ol heave ho out of office.

Try rubbing some ointment on those chapped hides, it may help some. Keep your chin up Spanky, better days ahead!

The problem Chauvin has - apart from the obvious optics - is that his decision not to do anything to address Floyd's respiratory problems. His behavior is likely negligent homicide, or involuntary manslaughter. If I have a duty to intervene and provide help - as police officers do - and I see someone in distress and fail to do anything, or even worse make the circumstances more dangerous, I have committed involuntary manslaughter.
Thing is, criminals and crazy people will do and say anything to get you to let go. Most cops hear "I can't breathe, I'm dying, etc." about twice a week. I used to work in a psychiatric hospital and know this to be true. Then as soon as you let go they will either try to pop you or escape.

Watching this trial, it should be abundantly clear why it’s important to say Black Lives Matter. Say it loud and say it clear, so the whole world can hear you.
George Floyd was a drug addict, career criminal, wife beater, and the world is a slightly better place without him. Loud and clear.

*EDIT* I should clarify that I don't think the police should be judge, jury, and executioner, just that the world is better without George Floyd and people like him. Floyd killed himself when he shot up with Fentanyl.

Last edited:
Steelmann, we give police a lot of authority over us and quite a few protections for discretionary actions. If society is going to give you a gun and trust you to use it only when needed, then your workplace behavior cannot be the same as most other professions. It just can't. You need to be held to a much higher standard. I think we agree on that, or at least most of us do.

However, numerous points bear discussion. First, contrary to what a lot of people think, cops are not that well-paid. Second, police officers get involved with physical scuffles all the time. At least once every two months for cops in urban areas, sometimes more, and at least 1-2x foot chases per month as well. Third, those altercations can end an officer's career and in fact in my line of work, I have personally met at least 50 police officers seriously injured by something other than a shooting. A lot of these guys were too injured to go back to policing.

Knee injuries, back injuries, rotator cuff, broken wrist, broken fingers, fractured eye socket, broken nose, skull fracture, bruised kidney, broken ankle, broken foot, badly twisted ankle, damaged spleen, and on and on. If police pulled their weapons every time a serious threat of physical harm arose due to an altercation, there would be a ****-ton more shootings than actually happen, and I'm talking about a factor of ten or twenty. It is an absolute fact that the police will not pull a gun until it is time to use it, since once you have the weapon out, then you cannot get into a physical altercation any more, since you have both hands on the weapon and if you let the bad guy get close, guess what happens 99 times out of 100? Yep, bad guy tries to grab the gun.

Fourth, police officers are called every name in the book, lied to, cussed at, threatened, etc. on a regular basis. They are treated as an occupying force in minority neighborhoods. Most departments try to change that view with public meetings, hiring minority officers, training and policies to encourage non-confrontational interaction with civilians. But the simple fact is that if you work a job where you are lied to, threatened, cussed out, and feel like you are surrounded by a hostile force, you will be defensive. Cops are people, not robots.

Fifth, I personally detest the phone camera generation. Hate it. Despise it. All these nimrod ******** with their phones - never, ever, ever do any of those worthless ***** do anything to help improve the world. How many of these ***** spend an afternoon with other phone camera devotees and pick up trash around their neighborhoods? Or work in a homeless shelter, coach youth sports? Almost never because they are a group of stupid, narcissistic, self-centered ******** too lazy to do anything to make the world a better place - apart from pointing their phones at something or somebody. "Oooooh, look at me, I'm so special, I'm taking a video of something I could have helped prevent or minimize three weeks ago but didn't!!"

You say in part, "Any officer going through the academy would realize this. Is all this police brutality,covering up, lying for each other and so on part of their job too? And no,I don’t paint all of the police with a broad brush. It’s just staggering how many break the laws, that their job is to enforce." My response is that police officers have more opportunity to harm citizens, hurt people, commit robbery or extortion, than almost any other segment of society. On a daily basis a cop has a chance to say, "I'm going to let you walk but need some incentive here." Let the wrongdoer make an offer. $100? $200? If the wrongdoer is a judge or lawyer or other admired member of society and accuses the cop of extortion, the cop can say, "Hey, hey - I was just looking for some evidence you were going to improve your behavior here. If you think otherwise, **** off. Here's the citation."

But they don't. Millions of interactions per year, tens of millions over the decades, literally hundreds of millions of chances to line their pockets or force themselves on others, and that almost never happens. The instance of it occurring are so miniscule that they make the headlines.

If we entrusted these tasks to the average member of the general public, I guaran-damn-tee you, the incidences of extortion, sexual favors, etc. would be increased beyond what you can imagine. So yes, we continue to hold cops to a very high standard. That should not change.

How about we start holding the rest of America to a higher standard as well?
A lot of what you say I agree with. My posting probably sounds like a big bash against the Police. It’s not meant to be. The one word I did not use in my post,and probably the most important point I was trying to make is accountability. I think a lot of things get swept under the rug. A hell of a lot of things.

Of course all of us, including myself should strive for a higher standard. That should go without saying.

I too hate the cell phone waving ,24 hours a day texting,24 hours a day social media is my life type. When I see those guys on YouTube antagonizing cops, talking about their rights trying to start **** up, I too think that’s deplorable. But that is certainly not even close to the point I was making about the use of phone video. And all video. Police are getting caught now doing lots of bad things. Stuff they used to cover up and get away with. Accountability.

Of course Police are put into positions of temptation way more than “ the average member of the general public” ........and that general public you believe would rip off society “beyond anything I can imagine “ Gee. I didn’t realize the cops were so much better than the general public. IE.... me and everyone I know that’s not a cop would be considered the general public? Lol.

I know a couple cops and a couple prison guards. For a long time. Getting together with them and some of their buddies for an evening is quite an experience. When the booze flows it gets quite interesting. Amazing how many drive home, speed, use cell phones ... but hey they’re “human”. Accountability.

I was reading an article about how 3 studies have said cops have a 40% rate of domestic abuse, while the “general public” has a 10% rate. I thought man that’s high. Then I read how it’s probably way higher because the victims usually don’t report it because they are afraid of the cops friends coming to investigate. Doesn’t that make you feel all rosy? Probably just fake news.

Once again....I am sure thousands of police do great things every day. Do things with no fanfare, go above and beyond. I just happen to think that there are probably thousands of cops that shouldn’t be cops. Bad apples just like any profession. They are finally getting caught.

My original post was about respect of authority. Because of these bad apples,respect of authority has to be at an all time low, and I think for good reason. We could all do better.

They should lock him up for life and throw away the key.

Some of the comments in this thread are downright ignorant & embarrassing. But that’s nothing new.

Floyd was a thug and a career criminal. His life didn't matter.

Does your life matter Tibs? Yes or no.

Whats being sold to the public is the illusion that regular law abiding black folks are being targeted by the cops...and white guilt liberal ******** like you are sucking it up.

Last edited:
Cops have a hard job and hear it all, but they CAN use their 'power" to their advantage. Not all, but some absolutley do abuse it. I would imagine it's hard to turn it off after a day of dealing with liars, thiefs, drug dealers, murderers, abusers, etc, day after day. Do they get a bad rap? Some of them do, but some deserve it. Again, it's a hard job and unless we walk in their shoes, I will show respect until it's not warranted.
In cases like this one with George Floyd, they all NEED to be held accountable for their negligence.
This takes me to another point of their training. Taking money away from them to do their job or on-going training is one of the worst things they can to do the police depts across the country. I wouldn't want money taken away from hospitals so doctors have less to work and continue to learn to do their jobs more effective. PO need resources to be able to do their jobs successfully, whether it's training, community outreach or the basic tools for their trade.

**** George Floyd. that piece of **** held a knife to a pregnant woman's stomach for what 20 dollars. he was a piece of **** thug criminal. and I would rather have Chauvin walking the streets than that piece of ****. we have become a society that every black person killed by anyone other than a black person is a martyr. When the government does come for your guns whoe's gonna be standing between you and the George Floyds of the world, it sure aint gonna be the cops if they gotta worry about prison for anything they do to a ******* criminal. Here is a novel idea for the black men of America, you wanna stay alive don't be a criminal and if you're not a criminal start working with the law to get rid of them or sit down and shut the **** up.

Yes, Floyd was a criminal, but still didn't deserve the treatment he received from the police. They removed him from the police car, which not sure why as I have seen video's of people acting out a lot more than Floyd did and not remove them from the car, placed him on his stomach and held a knee on him...........kept it there even after he went unconcious.

I would also like to ask those of you fixated on excusing the cops actions because "Floyd is a piece of ****" what about Chauvin's past actions as a police officer? If you are going to bring up Floyd's past you should bring up Chauvin's as well.........he ain't no ******* daisy.

And let's stop with the "black men - criminal" narrative. Yeah, yeah, yeah........I know the responses will be "if you look at the stats - black on black crime - prison populations.........blah, blah, blah" I'm speaking on painting an entire race of people as criminals based on the actions of about 1% of that population, and then acting like they ignore the issues and do nothing about them. You certainly don't like the painting of white people as all racist - it's not true and the same goes for the black people are criminals and thugs narrative - not true.

Yes, Floyd was a criminal, but still didn't deserve the treatment he received from the police. They removed him from the police car, which not sure why as I have seen video's of people acting out a lot more than Floyd did and not remove them from the car, placed him on his stomach and held a knee on him...........kept it there even after he went unconcious.

I would also like to ask those of you fixated on excusing the cops actions because "Floyd is a piece of ****" what about Chauvin's past actions as a police officer? If you are going to bring up Floyd's past you should bring up Chauvin's as well.........he ain't no ******* daisy.

And let's stop with the "black men - criminal" narrative. Yeah, yeah, yeah........I know the responses will be "if you look at the stats - black on black crime - prison populations.........blah, blah, blah" I'm speaking on painting an entire race of people as criminals based on the actions of about 1% of that population, and then acting like they ignore the issues and do nothing about them. You certainly don't like the painting of white people as all racist - it's not true and the same goes for the black people are criminals and thugs narrative - not true.
before we can or should convict Chauvin and "throw away the key" to assuage our faux outrage, we need to know the policy of the Minneapolis police force when arresting and subduing a person of interest or suspicious person.

The New MPD Training Manual Explicitly Bans Neck Restraints & Chokeholds But They Were Allowed Under Certain Circumstances at the Time of Floyd’s Death​

“That policy does not state that you apply your full entire body weight with your knee on an individual who's not resisting, cutting off his air,” says the Minneapolis police chief about neck restraints, which he says he’s now banned within the department. https://t.co/jJ8e9a8alG pic.twitter.com/vqZGGmH3LJ

"That policy does not state that you apply your full entire body weight with your knee on an individual who's not resisting, cutting off his air,”...

In this pic, it's pretty undeniable that Chauvin has his "full entire body weight" on Floyd's neck
lv-chauvin-trial-mma-witness-off-platform.jpg

yet what is terrible - and there's no joking about this - is the look on Floyd's face at that precise moment. He's in 100% fear. Some can say that GF is in fear of the cops, but I think it's more he's in fear of losing his life. That's not the same look of fear that one would expect to ever see or experience.

But, based on where Chauvin is in the pic, he cannot see GF's face. His line of sight is prohibited by the car. It's also eerily obvious that Chauvin is 100% comfortable in this position. He has his hands in his pocket and is relaxing. Yet, he still does not have 100% of his full weight on GF's neck. While the MPD's policy has changed since, it's still not arguable that "full entire body weight" is not totally required to prevent breathing.

Is Chauvin a disgusting piece of **** in how he handled this? of course. He could see part of GF's face. He could hear the screams and please from those who could see 100% of GF's face. He even waved off and prevented others from stopping his course of action. Even after GF died, he did not let up.

All that said, GF was a piece of ****. His previous actions prove this without a doubt. Chauvin and GF knew each other, as well. It's entirely possible that Chauvin did not like GF. It's entirely possible that Chauvin thought GF was acting.

It's also undeniable that Chauvin was following police policy.

in view of that, I do not know that I could convict Chauvin for murder as he was following protocol as defined by the MPD and approved by the city of Minneapolis.

before we can or should convict Chauvin and "throw away the key" to assuage our faux outrage, we need to know the policy of the Minneapolis police force when arresting and subduing a person of interest or suspicious person.

"That policy does not state that you apply your full entire body weight with your knee on an individual who's not resisting, cutting off his air,”...

In this pic, it's pretty undeniable that Chauvin has his "full entire body weight" on Floyd's neck
lv-chauvin-trial-mma-witness-off-platform.jpg

yet what is terrible - and there's no joking about this - is the look on Floyd's face at that precise moment. He's in 100% fear. Some can say that GF is in fear of the cops, but I think it's more he's in fear of losing his life. That's not the same look of fear that one would expect to ever see or experience.

But, based on where Chauvin is in the pic, he cannot see GF's face. His line of sight is prohibited by the car. It's also eerily obvious that Chauvin is 100% comfortable in this position. He has his hands in his pocket and is relaxing. Yet, he still does not have 100% of his full weight on GF's neck. While the MPD's policy has changed since, it's still not arguable that "full entire body weight" is not totally required to prevent breathing.

Is Chauvin a disgusting piece of **** in how he handled this? of course. He could see part of GF's face. He could hear the screams and please from those who could see 100% of GF's face. He even waved off and prevented others from stopping his course of action. Even after GF died, he did not let up.

All that said, GF was a piece of ****. His previous actions prove this without a doubt. Chauvin and GF knew each other, as well. It's entirely possible that Chauvin did not like GF. It's entirely possible that Chauvin thought GF was acting.

It's also undeniable that Chauvin was following police policy.

in view of that, I do not know that I could convict Chauvin for murder as he was following protocol as defined by the MPD and approved by the city of Minneapolis.

Was he following police policy? A quote from another officer in the article you posted said this:

“Once the [officer] is in control, then you release,” Masson said. “That’s what use of force is: You use it till the threat has stopped.”

What threat was there from Floyd who was handcuffed, laying on the ground with 3 other officers there besides Chauvin.........2 of them were also on Floyd.

I don't think anyone is excusing Chauvin's actions, decisions made have consequences. Were Mr. Floyd not a criminal thug, he wouldn't have been in this situation to begin with, I do suspect, based on his drug use, he might be just as dead today.

I don't think anyone is excusing Chauvin's actions, decisions made have consequences. Were Mr. Floyd not a criminal thug, he wouldn't have been in this situation to begin with, I do suspect, based on his drug use, he might be just as dead today.

Yep, decisions made do in fact have consequences. That applies to Chauvin as well.

Floyd could have made better choices to not put himself in the situation of being arrested, and Chauvin could have made better choices with how he handled the supposed "restraint" that was used and not letting up even when Floyd lost consciousness.

I think 99% of America agrees Chauvin deserves to be tried because he was inexcusably careless with Floyd's health. The cops took Floyd out of the car because he said he could not breathe, he was panicking, etc. Once the cops had Floyd on the ground and he no longer posed a threat to himself or the officers, they could simply sit him up. Let him get his breath. If Floyd's breathing difficulties were unrelated to being held on the ground, get the paramedics involved.

Once any threat is neutralized, sit him up, see if he can catch his breath, if not, get the paramedics involved. That simple really.