• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Does Mason Rudolph Deserve a 17-Game Opportunity?

This is an awful argument.

Bradshaw was considered at the 1970 draft the highest rated prospect in years and there would not be another QB prospect that was considered as high until 1983 & John Elway.

Bradshaw sucked at a time when the Steelers were awful & passing was incredibly difficult. 2000 yard seasons were top level.

The fact is Bradshaw had raw talent that Rudolph couldn’t dream of having. Heck—only maybe 10-15 QBs to ever play the game can even be considered to be at his level.
And you totally missed the point. As I said I was not saying he is remotely Bradshaw but that had we had the same mindset back then and had social media Bradshaw would have never made it. Mason has had more success on the field in his first 10 games than Bradshaw and yet he is treated like **** despite numbers that the majority of QBs would be happy to have in their first 10 starts. He is judged not on what he actually did or didn't do on the field fairly but in light of him not being Ben Roethlisberger, an impossible task for any QB aside from maybe a few. He is judge unfairly simply for being the next guy after a legend.

Bradshaw at least showed a rocket arm and a lot of mobility. What has Rudy shown?
A good arm, touch on his passes some newfound mobility and guts to stand in and deliver a pass while taking a hit. Mostly the ability to win games despite a **** OC calling putrid plays.

And you totally missed the point. As I said I was not saying he is remotely Bradshaw but that had we had the same mindset back then and had social media Bradshaw would have never made it. Mason has had more success on the field in his first 10 games than Bradshaw and yet he is treated like **** despite numbers that the majority of QBs would be happy to have in their first 10 starts. He is judged not on what he actually did or didn't do on the field fairly but in light of him not being Ben Roethlisberger, an impossible task for any QB aside from maybe a few. He is judge unfairly simply for being the next guy after a legend.
No I didn’t miss the point. This argument was made long before social media when Mark Malone had a better start to his career than Bradshaw.

It comes down to two things: the era & rules— which 1970 was not a QB friendly time & especially vs. current. Put Bradshaw in the NFL on the 2019 Steelers and what would result be?

Two—Bradshaw was a recognized for being an extremely gifted talent. He’s going to get more opportunity because of the fact he was a great athlete with a unique arm. Mason has none of that, it’s not a comparison.

If you argued someone like Rich Gannon, you’d get more traction with an argument.

Training camp&preseason games should set that stage at least going into the season. Whomever comes out on top starts. If they draft a qb I'd still have him as a backup to a veteran qb.

It's going to be tough sledding for any qb filling that void. I can only hope they invest in the OL and go with a little heavier running attack,which will help out the new qb immensely.

No I didn’t miss the point. This argument was made long before social media when Mark Malone had a better start to his career than Bradshaw.

It comes down to two things: the era & rules— which 1970 was not a QB friendly time & especially vs. current. Put Bradshaw in the NFL on the 2019 Steelers and what would result be?

Two—Bradshaw was a recognized for being an extremely gifted talent. He’s going to get more opportunity because of the fact he was a great athlete with a unique arm. Mason has none of that, it’s not a comparison.

If you argued someone like Rich Gannon, you’d get more traction with an argument.
Mason had a pretty damn good college career. I can also list player after player who didn't do as well in their first 10 starts. Seeing as how Mason hasn't gone past that yet we can't say where he may end up. You also totally ignore the part of my post regarding the handicap he was handed in Fichtner's play calling and scheme as well as now Canada's play calling totally handcuffed our QBs and did not play to their strengths and the line sucked even starting in 2019. Not sure he gets a fair look with Canada this year even if he does start, or any other QB for that matter.

Mason had a pretty damn good college career. I can also list player after player who didn't do as well in their first 10 starts. Seeing as how Mason hasn't gone past that yet we can't say where he may end up. You also totally ignore the part of my post regarding the handicap he was handed in Fichtner's play calling and scheme as well as now Canada's play calling totally handcuffed our QBs and did not play to their strengths and the line sucked even starting in 2019. Not sure he gets a fair look with Canada this year even if he does start, or any other QB for that matter.
They all had a good college career. Irrelevant.

Alex Van Pelt broke multiple records set by Marino at Pitt. That’s irrelevant.

Handicapped by Fichtner is an excuse. Talent has a way a showing through even if the rest of the team or play calling isn’t up to par. Just look at Najee this year—it was by many statistical measures an unimpressive season but just watching the guy you saw glimpses of how incredible he can be.

Mason—saw none of that. He didn’t demonstrate any unique ability. He hasn’t in his career.

They hoped he could develop into a legitimate heir to Ben, hence trading for extra 3rd to get him.

There’s a handful of QBs that surprise and develop into legit starters—Matt Hasselback , Mark Brunell, Brad Johnson, Chris Chandler… if you want to make an argument that he can do that, you might have basis. But to this point he’s shown nothing to demonstrate he is a starter in NFL.

Just saying he has shown more in his 10 starts than Terry did in his first two years. In no way am I saying he is a Bradshaw but jesus he has only started 10 games with an offense designed or Ben and run by ******* idiots. Maybe he isn't the answer but he hasn't proven he isn't. Give him some preseason as the guy and see if he can hold off the competition.
When you have to go back more than 50 years when the game was totally different I don't think you have an argument. It is as easy as ever for quarterbacks to succeed. I'm fine with Rudolph competing for the starting job, but bring in better talent. Most of the options connected with the Steelers this offseason give the team a better chance to win.

On the current depth chart, he has certainly earned the right to be the starter heading into the season. If the draft a QB, then he keeps the job until the rookie is ready. If they don't draft a QB then he should keep he job most of the season unless he's awful.

On the current depth chart, he has certainly earned the right to be the starter heading into the season. If the draft a QB, then he keeps the job until the rookie is ready. If they don't draft a QB then he should keep he job most of the season unless he's awful.
Nope. He has earned the right to be the starter going into OTAs. It's up to him to continue to earn the right thereafter. Most folks on here would agree that the whole "participation trophy" thing is a bad idea. Yet, some of y'all want to give Rudolph exactly that. A participation trophy for the years he's been here. Funny thing, he has exactly as many years working under Canada's "offense" ... never mind ... I see you said "on the current depth chart". Since he's actually the only QB under contract at this point, I agree. Once that changes, he either performs to keep that spot, or he loses it; same as any other position.

There’s a handful of QBs that surprise and develop into legit starters—Matt Hasselback , Mark Brunell, Brad Johnson, Chris Chandler… if you want to make an argument that he can do that, you might have basis. But to this point he’s shown nothing to demonstrate he is a starter in NFL.
I wonder what it was that Matt Hasselback , Mark Brunell, Brad Johnson, and Chris Chandler did to demonstrate that they were legit starters.

You said these guys "surprised" and developed into starters. How do we know Rudolph won't?

MH was nothing to write home about in his young career. I assume the others were similar.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HassMa00.htm

Last edited:
Yeah, and if Rudolph somehow does get his shot at starting 17 games next season, you'll no doubt continue to blame Canada or find any other excuse you can manufacture for his ****** play. You have to be his uncle or cousin, or something.

The gentleman has an 80.9 career passer rating. That's a full ELEVEN points lower than the league mean while he's been in the NFL. The Steelers have scored a total of six offensive touchdowns in his last five starts (and one of those scores was a TD thrown by Duck Hodges, ironically, a game in which Rudolph got credit for one of his five wins that you love to pimp so much). The guy SUCKS.

Bradshaw at least showed a rocket arm and a lot of mobility. What has Rudy shown?
Well, remember when he almost beat the Browns starters in their house, with our starters sitting out?

Against the Browns, Rudolph was able to compile 315 yards on 39 attempts to go with 2 touchdowns and 1 interception. But despite playing with a number of star players sidelined, the Steelers were just a two-point conversion away from tying this contest

And then there was this:
https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...nning-abilities-in-performance-against-lions/
mason-rudolph-in-the-top-of-steelers-offensive-pro-football-focus-grades-week-10-derek-watt-dotson

Also, while very pedestrian he was the QB in the Steelers come from behind win game vs. the Colts in 2019.

oc-mason-rudolph-coming-off-his-best-game-0ap3000001076442

The second-year signal-caller made several big plays against Rams pressure, including converting a fourth-and-1 from the Steelers' own 34-yard-line. That Pittsburgh called a pass for Rudolph in that spot showed a burgeoning faith in the quarterback.

"I think Mason is doing great," Ben Roethlisberger said. "He's doing some really good things. It doesn't matter what comes his way. He stays in the pocket when he needs to. He makes plays when he needs to. I think he's playing awesome. I'm proud of him."

Last edited:
He deserves his fair chance coming out of camp, just like the other QBs we have there will. that won't make it as starters.
But that's what you're hoping for. lol

I wonder what it was that Matt Hasselback , Mark Brunell, Brad Johnson, and Chris Chandler did to demonstrate that they were legit starters.

You said these guys "surprised" and developed into starters. How do we know Rudolph won't?

MH was nothing to write home about in his young career. I assume the others were similar.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HassMa00.htm
The lean is in the red zone where he has to throw into tight windows. He hasn't shown he can do that enough to get enough points to be competitively consistent. That is where you can see his deficiency up close. Not sure that ever changes. A big reason my chips are on the table that he will ever be anything more than what he is now. An ok backup. Hell the guy knew Ben was on his last legs and had more prep time than your average backup QBs with Ben missing time whenever when and still looked mediocre at best.

The lean is in the red zone where he has to throw into tight windows. He hasn't shown he can do that enough to get enough points to be competitively consistent. That is where you can see his deficiency up close. Not sure that ever changes. A big reason my chips are on the table that he will ever be anything more than what he is now. An ok backup. Hell the guy knew Ben was on his last legs and had more prep time than your average backup QBs with Ben missing time whenever when and still looked mediocre at best.
I'm not advocating Mason as a franchise QB or long term QB. Mason can be a season bridge to reach the Tomlin gold standard of success of 8-8 and getting bounced in the wildcard. Yes we can do it with Mason or Turbisky or any other FA outside the big 3

I'm not advocating Mason as a franchise QB or long term QB. Mason can be a season bridge to reach the Tomlin gold standard of success of 8-8 and getting bounced in the wildcard. Yes we can do it with Mason or Turbisky or any other FA outside the big 3
If he is the best option after training camp is finished. You obviously go with him. I think it is up to the FO to make sure there is competition.

Another reason I am hoping for an upgrade in free agency is that it lessens the chance the Steelers don't Edmunds them a QB in 1. That is the kind of decision making we should all hope against. When you reach bad things happen. Or should I say more often than not.. not good enough things happen.

Yeah, and if Rudolph somehow does get his shot at starting 17 games next season, you'll no doubt continue to blame Canada or find any other excuse you can manufacture for his ****** play. You have to be his uncle or cousin, or something.

The gentleman has an 80.9 career passer rating. That's a full ELEVEN points lower than the league mean while he's been in the NFL. The Steelers have scored a total of six offensive touchdowns in his last five starts (and one of those scores was a TD thrown by Duck Hodges, ironically, a game in which Rudolph got credit for one of his five wins that you love to pimp so much). The guy SUCKS.
And Duck failed to win the game in OT vs the Ravens, that Rudolph would have won in regulation before being brained. What's your point?

If he is the best option after training camp is finished. You obviously go with him. I think it is up to the FO to make sure there is competition.

Another reason I am hoping for an upgrade in free agency is that it lessens the chance the Steelers don't Edmunds them a QB in 1. That is the kind of decision making we should all hope against. When you reach bad things happen. Or should I say more often than not.. not good enough things happen.
Agree. I'm not against bringing in competition but i believe what we bring in will be the same level as what we have. 100% on reaching in the draft, they did it with Edmunds and Bush. I believe they will do it with Willis.

What is the average QB rating league wide for QBs in their first 10 starts? Based on what I can find it is worse than that. I bet we will blaming Canada regardless of who is at QB and no Mason doesn't suck. When a rookie comes in and performs like **** for the first year will you want them cut and say they suck? Real world numbers for QBs in their first 16 starts says you are flat out wrong in saying he sucks. We can't say he is great either we really just don't know. i have seen things from him that make think he has some upside, maybe he doesn't. Statistically I just don't get the hate for him. Particularly considering those stats include games he should have been still sitting on the bench.

Now I am still not saying to hand him anything other than being the number one going into camp. I think he has earned the shot and nothing more.

What is the average QB rating league wide for QBs in their first 10 starts? Based on what I can find it is worse than that. I bet we will blaming Canada regardless of who is at QB and no Mason doesn't suck. When a rookie comes in and performs like **** for the first year will you want them cut and say they suck? Real world numbers for QBs in their first 16 starts says you are flat out wrong in saying he sucks. We can't say he is great either we really just don't know. i have seen things from him that make think he has some upside, maybe he doesn't. Statistically I just don't get the hate for him. Particularly considering those stats include games he should have been still sitting on the bench.

Now I am still not saying to hand him anything other than being the number one going into camp. I think he has earned the shot and nothing more.
But somehow it's vogue or enlightened to hate on his skills.

Never have I said he is Montana. I am too honest to say he is Ryan Leaf. Let him show us what he is, and the numbers he has put up say he is good to pretty good.

Yeah, and if Rudolph somehow does get his shot at starting 17 games next season, you'll no doubt continue to blame Canada or find any other excuse you can manufacture for his ****** play. S.
I'd bet the farm that if we had completed this dismal season with Rudolph at the helm, most of the blame would be put on Rudolph. It would have been the proof yinz needed to confirm that he's not the guy. (and me too)

But since it was Ben, the blame was spread around with Ben receiving the least of it....Tomlin, O Line, Canada, Steely McBeam, you name it.

Although I'm defending Rudolph, I lean slightly toward him NOT being the guy. I'm just not fully convinced that he isn't.

But somehow it's vogue or enlightened to hate on his skills.

Never have I said he is Montana. I am too honest to say he is Ryan Leaf. Let him show us what he is, and the numbers he has put up say he is good to pretty good.
And being given the shot he could blossom, he could also totally **** the bed. I am ok with a bad year anyway as long we don't go bat **** crazy and trade away all our picks for AR. I would rather see what we have and sink or swim while fixing the other issues like the line and crappy play calling. Maybe it is better to let Canada ruin Mason and we get rid of him when we find the next QB in next years draft.

I'd bet the farm that if we had completed this dismal season with Rudolph at the helm, most of the blame would be put on Rudolph. It would have been the proof yinz needed to confirm that he's not the guy. (and me too)

But since it was Ben, the blame was spread around with Ben receiving the least of it....Tomlin, O Line, Canada, Steely McBeam, you name it.

Although I'm defending Rudolph, I lean slightly toward him NOT being the guy. I'm just not fully convinced that he isn't.
Dismal? We did better than many on here predicted. Sure it ended badly but I wouldn't call it dismal.