• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Does Mason Rudolph Deserve a 17-Game Opportunity?

There are several points you make here that I can agree with.

1. He's shown a lack of common sense/maturity during his time in the NFL. Although I put more stock in the Steelers lack of any reaction to Additi's story than I do in the story itself, you can't deny that his history follows him to some extent.

2. There's a perception that he doesn't work hard. I've seen evidence of this. But, I'm also aware of him putting in the time. Did you know that it was Haskins who organized workouts with Washington WRs during the lockdown so that they could come into camp with an awareness of the new playbook in 2020? How about the fact that between years 1 & 2 he shed 40 lbs and worked on his diet during the offseason? None of those things did **** for him when he made stupid off-field decisions, but they were signs of a maturing young kid who was learning to take his profession seriously. Personally, I'm glad that he's not out here showing off his "workout videos" and granting every interview request that comes along (So far). Might mean he's out there quietly working to improve. That said:

3) He's shown nothing to say he's the future in Pittsburgh. Pretty self-explanatory. But, I'll expound by saying that his reluctance to push the ball down the field during last year's preseason games was concerning. And, he seemed to lack the accuracy that made him so good during his one year starting at tOSU.

4) It would still be for the best if either he, Rudolph or both developed into something above adequate. I don't hold out much hope for either of them. Haskins has the tougher road in this regard (and a lot of that is his fault). But, he also has the higher pedigree and, I think upside, if he should be able to put it all together. (which I have doubts).

We'll see.
I mean it would be great if he lived up to half of his potential when drafted! That would be a huge win for us.

Its a curious question… probably about what they put in… a third maybe as low as a fourth… several sites including cbs had him ranked in the top ten backup qbs… one as high as fifth i believe…
The one thing i think is Rudy is for certain a system qb… not an improvisational one like Ben was… there are teams with offenses that love that kind of guy and ours was definitely not one of them… i think in a place like Tennessee where he can be a game manager or a st louis type team where he would be asked to follow the offense exactly as drawn up and be a bit player rather than the driving force he could do well

What I’m not sure about and what will make or break him is his ability to win games in the final minutes of the game… that I haven’t really seen from him
i would say 5th or 6th but honestly i don't think anyone would give anything up for him at this point. When i watched him before and after the injuries he seems like a different QB altogether. He seems much much slower both in his reads and the velocity of the ball. Maybe he can get that back maybe it was just Rust who knows for sure. I know every time he has played recent i cringe watching how slow he seems compared to the speed of the game. The guy did have a concussion and even just one of those can alter a person significantly.

The one thing i think is Rudy is for certain a system qb… not an improvisational one like Ben was… there are teams with offenses that love that kind of guy and ours was definitely not one of them… i think in a place like Tennessee where he can be a game manager or a st louis type team where he would be asked to follow the offense exactly as drawn up and be a bit player rather than the driving force he could do well
Which St. Louis team? The Cardinals or the Blues? He might be capable out of the bullpen.

No I didn’t miss the point. This argument was made long before social media when Mark Malone had a better start to his career than Bradshaw.

It comes down to two things: the era & rules— which 1970 was not a QB friendly time & especially vs. current. Put Bradshaw in the NFL on the 2019 Steelers and what would result be?

Two—Bradshaw was a recognized for being an extremely gifted talent. He’s going to get more opportunity because of the fact he was a great athlete with a unique arm. Mason has none of that, it’s not a comparison.

If you argued someone like Rich Gannon, you’d get more traction with an argument.
If Malone hadn’t blown out his knee who knows what he may have done with more mobility. He had some truly fantastic games but he also had some really terrible ones. He had the talent.

If Malone hadn’t blown out his knee who knows what he may have done with more mobility. He had some truly fantastic games but he also had some really terrible ones. He had the talent.
Mark Malone was a film room guy and took impeccable notes in team meetings - an assistant coach said you could put his notes in the Hall of Fame

But he only could do it as it played out exactly as it was drawn up. Otherwise he was robotic, if the play was disrupted or he had to adapt - he could not go off script. He lacked the accuracy and the ability to make a play.

Hence his good moments came because of the talents of Stallworth and Lipps. Otherwise, he was dog $hit. They made the bum look better than he was. Forget the knee injury, he couldn't beat out Cliff Stoudt or David Woodley, even in his 4th or 5th year.

There is no defense of the bust of Mark Malone anymore than there was for Huey Richardson, Tim Worley, Tom Ricketts, Darryl Sims or John Reinstra.

Mark Malone was a film room guy and took impeccable notes in team meetings - an assistant coach said you could put his notes in the Hall of Fame

But he only could do it as it played out exactly as it was drawn up. Otherwise he was robotic, if the play was disrupted or he had to adapt - he could not go off script. He lacked the accuracy and the ability to make a play.

Hence his good moments came because of the talents of Stallworth and Lipps. Otherwise, he was dog $hit. They made the bum look better than he was. Forget the knee injury, he couldn't beat out Cliff Stoudt or David Woodley, even in his 4th or 5th year.

There is no defense of the bust of Mark Malone anymore than there was for Huey Richardson, Tim Worley, Tom Ricketts, Darryl Sims or John Reinstra.
That seems a bit harsh considering the crap that followed him. At least he had some good games. I still think had his knee been healthy he may have been more likely to go off script. I think the severe knee injury was a contributing factor to the by the book approach he had. I could be wrong though.

That seems a bit harsh considering the crap that followed him. At least he had some good games. I still think had his knee been healthy he may have been more likely to go off script. I think the severe knee injury was a contributing factor to the by the book approach he had. I could be wrong though.
Did you watch the Steelers during the Mark Malone years?

I’m guessing no because that’s complimentary towards a guy that generated more hatred. A guy literally drove his truck into Three Rivers Stadium, not the parking lot but in the stadium, and nearly hit 4 ppl

When they arrested him he was kicking imaginary FGs on the field, and all he could say was that he couldn’t take any more of Mark Malone.

The dude was HORRIBLE. No, there’s no room for debate. He was just that bad.

Did you watch the Steelers during the Mark Malone years?

I’m guessing no because that’s complimentary towards a guy that generated more hatred. A guy literally drove his truck into Three Rivers Stadium, not the parking lot but in the stadium, and nearly hit 4 ppl

When they arrested him he was kicking imaginary FGs on the field, and all he could say was that he couldn’t take any more of Mark Malone.

The dude was HORRIBLE. No, there’s no room for debate. He was just that bad.
I did. I remember some good and some bad. I have watched since the mid 70's although I was rather young then. He was hated not because he was that bad, go look up some of the games he had but because he wasn't Terry and because he was the guy who replaced Terry. It is the same thing with the animosity towards Mason. He wasn't nearly half as bad as Kent G. Now that was truly awful.

IMO - Rudolph is a .500 QB. 9-8 or 8-9. Who is left out there...Garopollo? Tribisky? Picketts? Willis? Can they do better?
If we spend money on the first two, we don't address OL, DL, CB, LB, S, in Free agency.
This team was 8-8 with Rudolph/Hodges. With an 0-2 start and went 8-5 before choking.
I don't see a QB out there this year. Najee is best RB in the game. Invest in OL. Get a decent back up RB. Run the ball 30-40 times per game. Mason throws 15-20 times/game.
Harvin needs a career year.
Go Steelers.

I did. I remember some good and some bad. I have watched since the mid 70's although I was rather young then. He was hated not because he was that bad, go look up some of the games he had but because he wasn't Terry and because he was the guy who replaced Terry. It is the same thing with the animosity towards Mason. He wasn't nearly half as bad as Kent G. Now that was truly awful.
I don’t need to look up his games. I watched them. Dude was awful and don’t compare with Kent Graham - who was pulled as stater after 3 games. Graham was there more for Kordell Stewart to ultimately replace, a sacrificial lamb, as fans would not be on Stewart as hard after replacing him (and it worked).

Malone: He had a 5 TD game & a 4 TD game. There you go, doesn’t balance out the 46 passer rating of 1987, 50% completion, but to top off how bad:

In two starts he had a 2.8 and 7.8 QB rating. You’re crazy to argue for the 4 years of hell that was Malone.

When he was drafted, some coaches wanted him to play safety. The Jets considered him as a RB. He was an Olympics level decathlete & there was zero reason to draft him as a QB when Bradshaw was playing at the highest level of his career while aging out on defense badly. They took the best athlete, and thought they could find a place for him.

It sure wasn’t QB

IMO - Rudolph is a .500 QB. 9-8 or 8-9. Who is left out there...Garopollo? Tribisky? Picketts? Willis? Can they do better?
If we spend money on the first two, we don't address OL, DL, CB, LB, S, in Free agency.
This team was 8-8 with Rudolph/Hodges. With an 0-2 start and went 8-5 before choking.
I don't see a QB out there this year. Najee is best RB in the game. Invest in OL. Get a decent back up RB. Run the ball 30-40 times per game. Mason throws 15-20 times/game.
Harvin needs a career year.
Go Steelers.
There’s quite a different defense out there now vs. 2019. Also a plenty different OL.

Get Winston or Trubisky because at least they have a chance of throwing the ball with success.

If they go with Mason, you know it’s for one year cuz his contract and we’d be lucky to win 5 games.

If it’s Mason, I’m already throwing the season out for the highest pick in 2023. He’ll be pulled for Haskins and back/forth guaranteed and a season unlike many fans have ever been alive for

There’s quite a different defense out there now vs. 2019. Also a plenty different OL.

Get Winston or Trubisky because at least they have a chance of throwing the ball with success.

If they go with Mason, you know it’s for one year cuz his contract and we’d be lucky to win 5 games.

If it’s Mason, I’m already throwing the season out for the highest pick in 2023. He’ll be pulled for Haskins and back/forth guaranteed and a season unlike many fans have ever been alive for
Hey FSF - not arguing.
Agree with you for OL. What's different with D. Other than Tuitt and Hilton. D plays well in most games and gives up 40 + vs. good teams.
I think Mason can win more than 5.
Can you bring in Winston or Tribisky and revamp OL? And win 9-10 to get in playoffs?

Hey FSF - not arguing.
Agree with you for OL. What's different with D. Other than Tuitt and Hilton. D plays well in most games and gives up 40 + vs. good teams.
I think Mason can win more than 5.
Can you bring in Winston or Tribisky and revamp OL? And win 9-10 to get in playoffs?
What’s different with D other than Tuitt & Hilton, really?

Haden was legit Pro Bowler in 2019. At 32 he’s lost a step. Love him as player but Father Time. Stephen Nelson was one of bigger FA signings they have done & did well, but is gone.

Bud Dupree brought equal pressure as Watt from EDGE, gone via FA. Bush pre-ACL, struggling to get back. Vince Williams was a fierce tackler in middle, retired.

Tuitt is obvious. You forget how good Javon Hargrove was getting? He actually had better stats than Tuitt in 2019 & made Pro Bowl as DT last year—how much do regret that lost FA?

That defense was phenomenal and now it’s Cam, Watt and Minkah with variables.

Yeah, 2022 gonna be long year but it’s okay. Long as they sign the right FAs and make use of the higher picks, they can be right back and fast.

I just want Trubisky or Winston for a Tommy Maddox type role. Maddox could at least sling it & was fun to watch.

Forget 8 wins, this team is staring at a five win season & it’s not the end of the world. It’s a necessary evil.

What’s different with D other than Tuitt & Hilton, really?

Haden was legit Pro Bowler in 2019. At 32 he’s lost a step. Love him as player but Father Time. Stephen Nelson was one of bigger FA signings they have done & did well, but is gone.

Bud Dupree brought equal pressure as Watt from EDGE, gone via FA. Bush pre-ACL, struggling to get back. Vince Williams was a fierce tackler in middle, retired.

Tuitt is obvious. You forget how good Javon Hargrove was getting? He actually had better stats than Tuitt in 2019 & made Pro Bowl as DT last year—how much do regret that lost FA?

That defense was phenomenal and now it’s Cam, Watt and Minkah with variables.

Yeah, 2022 gonna be long year but it’s okay. Long as they sign the right FAs and make use of the higher picks, they can be right back and fast.
Good points.
Save the money on a QB and sign or draft positions you mention.

I just want Trubisky or Winston for a Tommy Maddox type role. Maddox could at least sling it & was fun to watch.

Forget 8 wins, this team is staring at a five win season & it’s not the end of the world. It’s a necessary evil.
There are a number of folks that predict 5 or less wins EVERY year. Have never seen it! Including last year and the year before when we went 11-0.
We have never been a rebuild team.
BTW - I loved Tommy Maddox. Even bought a Tommy Gun #8 hat. lol.

IMO, NO QB, (include anyone you like...Mahomes, Wilson etc.) would fare well on our offense with the players we have.
Save our OC, Canada, pulling out a whole new approach to personnel use and game schemes, we are waiting another year for something exciting to happen on offense.

We had 2 seconds to throw on average.
Our WRs could not get separation (except the smallest one, occasionally) This IS scheme, not lack of talent.
We didn't use the FB hardly at all yet we have one of the most expensive ones available.
We ran the wheels off of our #1 RB with no thought of injuries.
We really didn't use the TEs in our Play-action game like we used to routinely use Heath. (we hardly used play action at all for years)
We were as predictable as we have been over the past years, which didn't help.
We ignored less than average OL play HOPING things would somehow get better without changing anything at all.
We passed the ball 63% of the time, playing into our weakness on the OL.
We just kept doing the same thing expecting different results...insanity.
We NEEDED a proven OL coach to replace Munch, we got journeymen instead. (and have continued)
We needed a WR coach who could instill discipline (Hines Ward?) and instead we got what we saw play out....prima donna players.
We needed a SOLID vet to replace Pouncey to show the youth how to play and prepare and we got a short wrestler who had only played G with no "sand".
We have a generational talent at RB and we haven't given him what he needs to succeed. (see NYG plan for Saq Barkley)
We have one of the most talked about creative minds as our DC (and we don't let him call the plays)

We are a mess gentlemen. A QB ain't gonna fix our problems. We need a new attitude, new coaching, and some HORSES. IMO

There are a number of folks that predict 5 or less wins EVERY year. Have never seen it! Including last year and the year before when we went 11-0.
We have never been a rebuild team.
BTW - I loved Tommy Maddox. Even bought a Tommy Gun #8 hat. lol.
Dude—Tommy Maddox is in my personal favorite top 5 Steelers (not best, just favorite)

I couldn’t wait to watch him thread passes I had never seen a Steelers QB ever do. If he made better choices, convinced he’d have had a great career.

Anyway— to those who you say we’re going to win 5 every year.

I don’t give a **** about those people.

I’m pragmatic. Whether we sign Trubisky or start Mason, we’re going to be looking for a future QB anyway. I just thought Trubisky or Winston might make watching it more fun when we lose.

And lose we will. But again, pragmatism—since 1969–Steelers have finished with 6 or fewer wins 6 times:
Joe Greene - HOF
Terry Bradshaw - HOF
Frank Lewis
Franco Harris - HOF
Rod Woodson - HOF
Tim Worley
Plaxico Burress
Ben Roethlisberger - HOF

Then to get Jack Ham, Gordon Gravelle, Jon Kolb, Ron Shanklin, Mel Blount, Carnell Lake & Marvel Smith with high picks afterwards was a strong way to build a team.

We’ve averaged picking 24th overall this millennium. Consider that players like Darrelle Revis & Aaron Donald were drafted one pick ahead of us. You’re not gonna get TJ Watts every season picking 30th.

You gotta suck at some point (and honestly the right year sure as fix helps) to really get good long term.

I don’t need to look up his games. I watched them. Dude was awful and don’t compare with Kent Graham - who was pulled as stater after 3 games. Graham was there more for Kordell Stewart to ultimately replace, a sacrificial lamb, as fans would not be on Stewart as hard after replacing him (and it worked).

Malone: He had a 5 TD game & a 4 TD game. There you go, doesn’t balance out the 46 passer rating of 1987, 50% completion, but to top off how bad:

In two starts he had a 2.8 and 7.8 QB rating. You’re crazy to argue for the 4 years of hell that was Malone.

When he was drafted, some coaches wanted him to play safety. The Jets considered him as a RB. He was an Olympics level decathlete & there was zero reason to draft him as a QB when Bradshaw was playing at the highest level of his career while aging out on defense badly. They took the best athlete, and thought they could find a place for him.

It sure wasn’t QB
Oh he certainly had his bad. I just don't hate him. I think he was doomed no matter what he did in reality. The guy after a legend almost always is and that pressure can contribute to the problem. Malone folded under that pressure of being the rebound guy. Mason has to be facing the same feelings plus the weight of social media in addition.

I don’t think the team has much choice.

Oh heck, let's have some fun.

Sign Bubby Brister (59) AND Kordell Stewart(49) as backup QBs.

Let the 2022 show go on! (y) :p :p